Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

we know they do, how did you get your blue star

As a former mod, theres a long tradition of making idiots mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Strong Sauce posted:

Lol if you think WOTC cares about the secondary market. They ain’t Nike

lol my sweet summer child. It’s not even a secret anymore. It’s part of the message they give their investors.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just lost two matches to horsemanship. In 2023. Did you know Wizards printed a new Horsemanship card. In 2023?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

*snicker*

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arivia posted:

I just lost two matches to horsemanship. In 2023. Did you know Wizards printed a new Horsemanship card. In 2023?

LOTR/Eldraine feels like a good era for this keyword's resurgence

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Archenteron posted:

I mean, he shoulda been Native American as God and Ralph Bakshi intended :v:

Every time I see that I always see Thundarr the Barbarian.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Does Battle Land in play count as basic lands for purposes of playing further battle lands untapped?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

I actually do remember seeing that and being pretty excited as my it's my favourite mechanic I've never gotten to play yet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ineptitude posted:

Does Battle Land in play count as basic lands for purposes of playing further battle lands untapped?

No, it has basic land types but doesn't have the supertype "basic". (It will count for the check lands, or the reveal lands, as they only rely on certain basic types)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No, it has basic land types but doesn't have the supertype "basic". (It will count for the check lands, or the reveal lands, as they only rely on certain basic types)

That always seemed needlessly confusing. Could they use a different word (in a rules update)?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Lands that count as basic have the word basic printed on the type line. I don't see how it could be improved by a rules update.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

That always seemed needlessly confusing. Could they use a different word (in a rules update)?

How about these, that should reduce confusion

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Archenteron posted:

Ralph Bakshi

Wizards should do a Wizards set.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I don't know what'll happen to the meta but I do know that my jank decks are gutted. It's like they didn't even consider what this would do to Boros Control

As someone who has both a Backup and For Mirrorodin! decks, Boros is fine and you should still play it. They aren't going to top any tournaments, but win enough to still be fun to play.

If your deck relied on Bankbuster or Fable, it's probably more a Bankbuster Deck than whatever else you'd call it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

If your deck relied on Bankbuster or Fable, it's probably more a Bankbuster Deck than whatever else you'd call it.

I've been thinking about this lately, and I think this is kind of true for a lot of decks

Like you see it in modern and to a lesser extent legacy where you get decks with specific wincons they can leverage, but most of the time they're just urza's saga decks in how they actually win. I feel like it's pretty common

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Does anyone have any recommendations for how/where to sell really old Magic cards that aren't the kind of card you want to just toss into tcgplayer's automated buy-in form or whatever but also aren't, like, particularly chaseworthy and are only worth money due to scarcity? (context: i have a rasputin dreamweaver in pretty great condition in my binder i found at a yard sale that i am basically never going to use and would rather cash in to buy something else big but dont want to just, like. toss it into an envelope and shoot it over to tcgplayer lol)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mix. posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for how/where to sell really old Magic cards that aren't the kind of card you want to just toss into tcgplayer's automated buy-in form or whatever but also aren't, like, particularly chaseworthy and are only worth money due to scarcity? (context: i have a rasputin dreamweaver in pretty great condition in my binder i found at a yard sale that i am basically never going to use and would rather cash in to buy something else big but dont want to just, like. toss it into an envelope and shoot it over to tcgplayer lol)

If your facebook marketplace doesn't meet this need then 2nd best is probably waiting for some big magic event in your area and go trade/sell it there.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wizards should do a Wizards set.

You fool, that would release A Gun into Magic which cannot be permitted.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Archenteron posted:

https://scryfall.com/card/snc/233/arc-spitter :confused:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm no gunsmith but isn't a gun defined as an upsidedown metal L shape that uses explosions to throw a smaller price of metal really fast?

What you have there is a flamethrower, except for lightning.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Archenteron posted:

https://scryfall.com/card/p02/6/alaborn-zealot

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Archenteron posted:

How the hell am I gonna get Fritz killed then?

Mix. posted:

You could also try the SA Mart thread here. (Hell, I'd be down for it but not sure if you're willing to wait a few weeks.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I choose to believe this person got autocorrected, saw the result, and left it as is because it's funny

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Poor eyelash corn, gone before she could enter the autocorrect dictionaries

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Archenteron posted:

Comes up sometimes on reddit, where I get hideously downvoted for pointing out: Guns in magic aren't 'banned', they just try not to do them, not for violence reasons, but because they're not very in keeping with the fantasy elements of the rest of the overall design.

Now, they've certainly massively broken that with some of the secret lairs and stuff, so there's probably a bit of an element of not wanting guns because guns are guns, but all the same, it's not like some big GOTCHA! When someone finds a gun. (Portal Second Age is full of them).

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I brought my Drake posted:

You could also try the SA Mart thread here. (Hell, I'd be down for it but not sure if you're willing to wait a few weeks.)

I'm not selling it for emergency reasons or anything and I've had it for a few years now, so its not like it's going anywhere. :v: If you wanted to DM me later if you're still into it you can do so and we can hash things out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
There's a rhino with a tommy gun in snc but the drum is blue so it's a magic thing and not a freaking tommy gun.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Guns that shoot bullets = unacceptable

Guns that shoot magic = acceptable

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I've been thinking about this lately, and I think this is kind of true for a lot of decks

Like you see it in modern and to a lesser extent legacy where you get decks with specific wincons they can leverage, but most of the time they're just urza's saga decks in how they actually win. I feel like it's pretty common

I stopped building decks with Urza's Saga for that reason, with a select few exceptions (janky combo decks like food tokens where you really do need to fetch Underworld Cookbook for it to work). On the one hand it definitely powers down artifact decks not to run it, but it leaves more space for cards that win in more interesting and imo more fun ways.

That said, Bankbuster ban does probably ruin my UW vehicle deck that was already pretty dicey. But I'm not sure I've played anyone else even trying to make that work in months, so greater good, etc. etc.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Froghammer posted:

Guns that shoot bullets = unacceptable

Guns that shoot magic = acceptable

My favorite for this is Ghryson Starn from the 40k decks. He's drawn with six shooters with prominent cylinders, but it had to be touched up with a smattering of blue lights to make them lasers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Imperium deck does have people shooting guns that are guns and not Saturday morning cartoon lasers, so it may just have been inconsistent art direction

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Me not really caring about the lotr set, probably puts me in the minority, right? I'll check out draft, but that's probably it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Me not really caring about the lotr set, probably puts me in the minority, right? I'll check out draft, but that's probably it.

I suspect there'll be relatively less interest in highly invested people rather than more casual peeps compared to most sets, setting the MAGA-types to one side, so you'll be in a minority but not alone.

I'm mostly interested in a sort of abstract sense, I like seeing what they do with the art and the concepts but haven't really enjoyed the mechanics they've shown so far

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Cavern of Souls alternate art in the Commander Set. That'll make them good value or more likely drive the price through the roof...

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 30, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Errant technically uses a gun but it's a spray paint gun she infuses with mana to make her paint magic so I don't think that counts if the bullets are made of paint :v:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rinkles posted:

I also don't really care about it, maybe it will be an interesting draft set, but I'm also not super interested in drafting cards I can't play in Standard. Maybe for Alchemy idk, but overall the cards they've shown seem clunky. I'm also not a big LotR fan so I might just sit this one out.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

wow what Orcish Bowmasters seems nuts to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

18 card collage