Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Quackles posted:

Unfortunately, I have long fingers and the SE is too small. For me it is a Plus form factor or nothing.

Are you going to move over to an iPad mini tethered to an Apple Watch cellular when they finally stop supporting larger iPhones with TouchID, or finally bite the bullet and upgrade to an iPhone with Face ID?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Corb3t posted:

Are you going to move over to an iPad mini tethered to an Apple Watch cellular
You can't even do this!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Corb3t posted:

Are you going to move over to an iPad mini tethered to an Apple Watch cellular when they finally stop supporting larger iPhones with TouchID, or finally bite the bullet and upgrade to an iPhone with Face ID?

You can usually tag on unlimited tablet cellular plan to your phone plan for $20.

The you can call and text forward to your iPad

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Corb3t posted:

I don't actually use Touch ID for most things as it is. I just like having a physical Home button to press.

When that day comes, I'll probably grudgingly upgrade to a newer iPhone set to passcode-only.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Endless Mike posted:

You can't even do this!
Rumors are that this gonna be a thing with the iOS 17 etc. branch of stuff.

(Well, based on an upcoming Health app for iPad, anyway. I sure hope the data transfer chain isn't gonna be Watch -> iPhone -> iCloud -> iPad.)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Branch Nvidian posted:

It only works if the person actually lets it work though. Couple years ago my mother fell off the ladder going into the attic, landed on the garage floor and shattered her wrist and broke her femur at the femoral neck, requiring a bunch of metal plates and big-rear end screws to fix,, and when her watch was all “hey, that seemed like a pretty bad fall, do you want to call 911?” she canceled it. So like, I guess just make sure they understand what the watch can do and the sorts of the situations where they should let it do what it does.

Good grief regardless of the phone/watch situation, I hope she is well that sounds awful. I know we don't say goon dolences or sappy stuff like that but yikesaroo. This is a good PSA for talking to your folks about what their hardware can and can't do.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Combat Pretzel posted:

Rumors are that this gonna be a thing with the iOS 17 etc. branch of stuff.

This would actually be helpful for kids, IMO.

(I think you can do something dumb with multiple watches linked to the parents phone but why should you have to?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is iCloud through a browser supposed to forget your password every few weeks, or is that a bug? I always flag the computer as trusted, but it eventually always asks again (I think it's after about a month, not sure). No other similar service that I use is like this.

No mention of a verification reset here.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I’ve had to sign my iPad into iCloud several times in the last few weeks, no other devices, just the iPad. Thought it was just because it’s oldass but maybe iCloud is having a moment.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Is iCloud through a browser supposed to forget your password every few weeks, or is that a bug? I always flag the computer as trusted, but it eventually always asks again (I think it's after about a month, not sure). No other similar service that I use is like this.

No mention of a verification reset here.

I have to sign in again to browser icloud all the time. I always figure its my adblocking.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That could be it. I have uBlock disabled but I have another anti tracking extension that I might not have switched off.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Apple in general has gotten really aggressive with that lately. If you plug your iphone or ipad into a computer, it will ask "trust this computer?" every time. Then it will ask it again if you try to do anything like create a backup or update.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What is the easiest way to transfer info from an ipad to an iPhone?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What is the easiest way to transfer info from an ipad to an iPhone?

Airplay/iCloud/Google drive

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Airplay/iCloud/Google drive

My bad, I should have mentioned. It is a brand new iPhone. I know that there is a “magic” way of transferring from old iPhone to new iPhone, I was wondering if there was a similar way to “magic” transfer from old iPad to new iPhone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My bad, I should have mentioned. It is a brand new iPhone. I know that there is a “magic” way of transferring from old iPhone to new iPhone, I was wondering if there was a similar way to “magic” transfer from old iPad to new iPhone.

Oh, yeah; you want Quick Start:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210216

Transferred everything from my 9th gen to my M1 pro that way.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm not sure Apple will let you go from iPad to iPhone.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh, yeah; you want Quick Start:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT210216

Transferred everything from my 9th gen to my M1 pro that way.

It transferred all of the settings but it could not send any of the apps or data. But all the settings being shared saved a lot of time.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

~Coxy posted:

I'm not sure Apple will let you go from iPad to iPhone.

Oh sure it will, as long as you do the pseudo qr code scan. It happened to me while attempting to migrate from my xr to my new 14, and the first apple device i had on hand was the ipad. Cue the 14 attempting to load the ipad data rather than my current iphone.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey thread! how's it going?

Quick question: is there a way to save off text messages AND imessages for a particular conversation on the latest iOS? Like saving to OneDrive or something. We don't really use iCloud.

My partner needs to save them for documentation/evidence purposes... It's not life or death, but just CYA in the career/field she's in.

Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

namlosh posted:

Hey thread! how's it going?

Quick question: is there a way to save off text messages AND imessages for a particular conversation on the latest iOS? Like saving to OneDrive or something. We don't really use iCloud.

My partner needs to save them for documentation/evidence purposes... It's not life or death, but just CYA in the career/field she's in.

Thanks!

I don't know of any off the top of my head. That question gets asked in here every once in a while and I believe the answer is "talk to a lawyer" due to the importance of the request.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know of any off the top of my head. That question gets asked in here every once in a while and I believe the answer is "talk to a lawyer" due to the importance of the request.

oh wow, thanks for the quick reply. fair enough.

It's not a legal requirement she do this in any way. In fact, she was saying that she was just going to screenshot every page of the conversations that mattered and I told her I'd look for an easier way.
Maybe she could screen record and just slowly scroll through all of the conversations she cares about, lol. I just thought there'd be a much easier way to do it.

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. thanks

e: Oh and I tried to search the thread, sorry I'm repeating something already asked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You should definitely be using iCloud though

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, screenshot is really the only way to save text messages (of course iCloud backs them up and make sure they are not set to auto delete after 1 year).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

You should definitely be using iCloud though

Echoing this. Even the free tier would be helpful for a situation like this and many others.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

There at least used to be shell scripts that could pull your messages out of an iTunes backup. Don’t think they pulled images though. They also might not work these days, but you could at least look.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I feel like 3uTools can pull message text out of a backup.

edit: oh hey

quote:

I just ran 3uTools on Windows and I could view message threads in an unencrypted backup.

There is export to PDF, which honestly seems better to me for court purposes than a random CSV.
Looks like images aren't present within the PDF though. The timestamps of those messages appear with no text.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im helping my buddy cop a refurb apple product since apple charges a grip on New. Is https://refurb-tracker.com/ the right one to use? I know the thread had a favorite but I can’t remember which.

And also to be sure im relaying the right information to him - refurb stuff gets a new battery, new “shell”, same warranty as new…and new screen I think? I feel like at least one of those is wrong but my googling is turning up conflicting info.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Leaving work and handing in my iPhone 13. I've been very happy with it and feel no need to upgrade to 14.

I went ahead and ordered the 128 GB 13 mini. Someone tell me how stupid I am while I can still cancel it.

I figured I always preferred smaller phones anyway, and AFAIU the phone is just as capable as the large 13?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Leaving work and handing in my iPhone 13. I've been very happy with it and feel no need to upgrade to 14.

I went ahead and ordered the 128 GB 13 mini. Someone tell me how stupid I am while I can still cancel it.

I figured I always preferred smaller phones anyway, and AFAIU the phone is just as capable as the large 13?

You are trading battery for a one handed device. If you don't mind carrying a powerbank in your bag, you won't notice the difference.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Depending on how much you use your phone, it may or may not get through the day. With light/normal use, you’ll probably be fine. I usually get through the whole day with mine. Keep a charger in your bag or at your desk at work for peace of mind I guess?

Otherwise, congratulations, you have bought the perfect iPhone.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

buglord posted:

Im helping my buddy cop a refurb apple product since apple charges a grip on New. Is https://refurb-tracker.com/ the right one to use? I know the thread had a favorite but I can’t remember which.

And also to be sure im relaying the right information to him - refurb stuff gets a new battery, new “shell”, same warranty as new…and new screen I think? I feel like at least one of those is wrong but my googling is turning up conflicting info.

Apple Refurbished is the preferred source: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

I think iPhones from there aren’t especially good deals, but at least what they’re selling is the nicest refurbished stuff you’ll get anywhere.

Everything else is a gamble, but the savings can be worth it if you can find a place with a reasonable return policy. I’d take a look at Swappa too, as they are one of the best used marketplaces out there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Random coincidence: I’m about to be selling an iPhone 13 Pro (95% battery), I just haven’t gotten to listing it on SA. If you want details I can certainly PM or post the thread.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

buglord posted:

If you're not buying from Apple's refurbished store linked above, there's literally no guarantee of what you get. It's not unheard of for stores to look at the phone to make sure the screen is one piece, shove it in a box and ship it off as "refurbished." Any warranty is from the store you buy it from (plus any remaining on the original factory warranty, if relevant).

If you buy from Apple, it will get a new battery, case, and screen, plus anything else that needs replacing, and includes a full warranty that's eligible for additional Applecare coverage, if desired.

So yeah, don't use that. If your friend just wants a used phone, buy from Swappa or something.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Refurb is “like-new phones for like-new prices.”

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Endless Mike posted:

If you're not buying from Apple's refurbished store linked above, there's literally no guarantee of what you get. It's not unheard of for stores to look at the phone to make sure the screen is one piece, shove it in a box and ship it off as "refurbished." Any warranty is from the store you buy it from (plus any remaining on the original factory warranty, if relevant).

If you buy from Apple, it will get a new battery, case, and screen, plus anything else that needs replacing, and includes a full warranty that's eligible for additional Applecare coverage, if desired.

So yeah, don't use that. If your friend just wants a used phone, buy from Swappa or something.

The linked site just sets up alerts to tell you when apple adds new refurb inventory. I’ve used it a couple of times over the years to snag iPads, worked just fine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

rafikki posted:

The linked site just sets up alerts to tell you when apple adds new refurb inventory. I’ve used it a couple of times over the years to snag iPads, worked just fine.

Yeah sorry I left that important sentence out. We just want alerts since the iPad Air 5th gen he wants is out of stock. He’d be buying direct from the refurb Apple Store, he just wants alerts for first dibs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I can’t remember how it works, do new iPhones come out right after WWDC or is it in September?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I can’t remember how it works, do new iPhones come out right after WWDC or is it in September?

September

Normally late September after the event a few weeks prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

September

Normally late September after the event a few weeks prior.

It’s slowly crept up to mid September.

Looking at the calendar , I would predict an announcement Tuesday, Sept 5th, preorder Friday September 8th, launch Friday Sept 15th.

Last year preorder was Sept 9th, launch Sept 16th.

I recently tried requesting off early Sept and Friday Sept 8th is blocked off, so yeah.