Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Apparently they did last night. A Ukrainian official mentioned a base getting hit destroying aircraft and ammunition before information was clamped down on. It might have been where the storm shadow sorties were flown from, it was a bit further west than usual.

I mean grain of salt and all, but those drones and missiles are targeting something.

https://t.me/ukraine_watch/3411

As always, it is to be taken with a grain of salt minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

euphronius posted:

Have miltaries tried using ESP or other exotic forms of communication for the forward spotters and batteries? I guess those are hackable too.

Yes, they have.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

tazjin posted:

Right, that's about the Artyomovsk situation, but he's also posting (very aggressively) about stuff like the drone attacks on Moscow today and blaming Shoigu and "the elites", saying Russia is behind in military tech etc. etc.

You could make some arguments about why that might be a useful strategic narrative to get out from the Russian side, but it's having an increasingly larger local side-effect of people asking for more escalation, and criticising Putin for keeping the gloves on.

The Kremlin seems to have been pretty reluctant to call a partial mobilization and it took them ages to change their mind, from which I think we can conclude that too much war fever wasn't what they were worried about. And also that they are slow to change so it seems not unlikely that they'll let the psychos post on for months after they've become more headache than they are worth.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Caught this in a Danish article celebrating the near-100% effectiveness of the Patriot systems in Kyiv against Russian attacks:

quote:

In a war you must ultimately be able to produce more military equipment and ammunition than your opponent. Otherwise you'll lose because of it, regardless of how good your strategy is. (Jakob Clod Asmund, Royal Defense College analyst for the Air and Space Warfare Center)

:thunk:

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't think the Ukrainians are up on that standard for all their poo poo, there are a lot of Motorolas and old Soviet radios floating around.

For example, in 2015, that Ukrainian Bde HQ got zapped because Bde LF or VLF was detected and identified as a HQ net. It might just be identifying traffic, rather than decryption, at least as far as artillery operations go.

The original source appears to be https://static.rusi.org/403-SR-Russian-Tactics-web-final.pdf on page 18, and it does claim they decrypted "256 bit encryption". It suggests they used a Torn-MDM. Maybe the Torn-MDM can perform some sort of side channel attack, which is pretty interesting if true.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mr Teatime posted:

1546 pages of posting to end up at Ukraine being an inherently hyper nazi state, possibly building a mecha bandera and Russia merely being a bunch of lib capitalists. Seems like a lot of effort just to satisfactorily sort out the cognitive dissonance of being a leftist who smiles and nods when the perpetrators of a failing land grab hucks missiles at civilians.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mecha bandera...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it’s very funny that Media Literacy people are solemnly nodding to Baghdad Bob level reporting. It’s incredible.

Critical thinking is incompatible with current ruling ideology and is largely stamped out.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

euphronius posted:

Have miltaries tried using ESP or other exotic forms of communication for the forward spotters and batteries? I guess those are hackable too.

AI art sucks, I fed some great reference images into this too...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

someone could harness the power of the Epstein thread to make a MIC pitch for Remote Viewing as an artillery spotter

that will be one gorillion dollars, pls

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't think the Ukrainians are up on that standard for all their poo poo, there are a lot of Motorolas and old Soviet radios floating around.

For example, in 2015, that Ukrainian Bde HQ got zapped because Bde LF or VLF was detected and identified as a HQ net. It might just be identifying traffic, rather than decryption, at least as far as artillery operations go.

"up on that standard" is not a high bar in tech terms, every post you make here uses these technologies many times. I think it's reasonable to believe that Russia compromised Ukrainian encryption keys - how do you do key distribution in a war zone anyways? Seems like rotating keys would be very difficult, with one of the few options being to cut off units that can't be physically reached from comms which seems ... bad?

I think it's not unlikely the Russians just shot some guy and extracted keys out of whatever comms hardware he had on him.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

tazjin posted:

"up on that standard" is not a high bar in tech terms, every post you make here uses these technologies many times.

I post on my personal phone, I've never logged in on work stuff, and it's never been connected to work stuff.
Unless I'm misreading?

As far as keys, are you talking about the crypto unit that plugs into the AN/PRC-117? Because that does load new keys every day.

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

I suppose one way the russians could get around encryption is using equipment captured from the ukrainians to listen in. That's assuming the ukrainians don't rotate encryption keys often enough to avoid such a situation. Who knows though. There's a mix of older and newer stuff and the older stuff probably isn't that strong in terms of encryption.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Cyrpto nets are only as secure as that keyed up gear you lost in the mud.

They can't manage their light infantry anymore, I would be beyond amazed if their comms were anything other than ad hoc.

Plus with discipline collapsing it only takes one unsecure device to compromise a whole network. Whats the bet personal mobile phones are being charged off secure terminal USBs? Just a thought.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 14:13 on May 30, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Let's be real, we all know what the Ukrainians are using for encryption

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

I post on my personal phone, I've never logged in on work stuff, and it's never been connected to work stuff.
Unless I'm misreading?

As far as keys, are you talking about the crypto unit that plugs into the AN/PRC-117? Because that does load new keys every day.

I mean that 256-bit encryption with a modern scheme like AES is reasonable even on fairly old hardware, every connection you make to almost every web server (including to forums dot somethingawful dot com) uses that sort of tech. It is essentially unbreakable unless a mathematical flaw is found in the scheme, or keys are compromised (barring some other situations like bugs in implementations, but I don't think that's what would be going on here).

How does it "load keys"? Are they physically delivered (safe-ish), or do they come wirelessly (unsafely)?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I think communication discipline is just really lovely in general and is probably all across the board in terms of people actually following best practices even if they have the technology to achieve them. The real attack vector is always just people, who are stupid.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

wtf why did someone change ardennes's avatar to euphronius's

no

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it wasn’t me.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
the contagion is spreading!!!

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

fauci did gain-of-function research on euphronius' avatar and this is the result

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Putin is talking somewhere about the attacks right now, I haven't found a stream yet

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
got some encryption for you right here 🖕

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

got some encryption for you right here 🖕
__________________________/

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Putin's 70 years old. Wonder what Succession except it's the Russian Government is going to look like in a few years?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Didn't the Russians supposedly also lose some guys with the more gaudy bling on the shoulders because their new and exciting encrypted communication system bugged out? Or did they respawn?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think this thread is doing way too much water carrying for the Russians despite over a year of evidence regarding how incompetent they are (lol how you just let some CIA plants just ride across your border and attack a town jfc). The reality is both sides are sloppy wrecks that haven't figured out how to modern war.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

speng31b posted:

I think communication discipline is just really lovely in general and is probably all across the board in terms of people actually following best practices even if they have the technology to achieve them. The real attack vector is always just people, who are stupid.

There is also the whole problem of hardware falling into enemy hands by errors, prisoners or just dead soldiers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Let's be real, we all know what the Ukrainians are using for encryption

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

I think this thread is doing way too much water carrying for the Russians

who is doing that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Printers. We're carrying printers

For Putin

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Asproigerosis posted:

I think this thread is doing way too much water carrying for the Russians despite over a year of evidence regarding how incompetent they are (lol how you just let some CIA plants just ride across your border and attack a town jfc). The reality is both sides are sloppy wrecks that haven't figured out how to modern war.

I should learn some war knower words so I can quote stuff like this and respond things like "you're commenting on tactical things when it's all about the strategical perspective!"

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

tazjin posted:

Putin is talking somewhere about the attacks right now, I haven't found a stream yet

WarDonbass posted:

Key statements from Vladimir Putin:

✔️Competition between Russia and Ukraine after the collapse of the USSR was inevitable, but it was assumed that it would proceed in a civilized manner;

✔️After the collapse of the USSR, Ukraine was controlled by people who began the path of creating an anti-Russia with the help of the West;

✔️Russia was deceived when promised not to expand NATO to the East, and then "they even reached Ukraine";

✔️Russia was forced to respond to the war in Donbass unleashed by the Kiev regime;

✔️Kiev chose the path of intimidating Russian citizens, this is a clear sign of terrorist activity;

✔️Ukraine's provocations are aimed at Russia's reciprocal actions, "we will see what to do about it";

✔️Residents of Ukraine should understand that the leadership of this country is pushing Russia towards reciprocal actions;

✔️It was not Russia that unleashed the war and not Russia that uses the same means as "Ukrainian tricksters".
(from t.me/WarDonbass/114394, via tgsa)

or alternatively TL;DR: nothing new

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

speng31b posted:

who is doing that?

You are - you’re probating pretty much anyone that comes into this thread who is not outright pro-Russian in this conflict

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

Printers. We're carrying printers

For Putin

Deep cut

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Mokotow posted:

You are - you’re probating pretty much anyone that comes into this thread who is not outright pro-Russian in this conflict

or maybe you are so far off to one side that everything left of you looks extreme?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Plus with discipline collapsing it only takes one unsecure device to compromise a whole network. Whats the bet personal mobile phones are being charged off secure terminal USBs? Just a thought.

thinking about how a big part of the Enigma codebreaking relied on assuming the first two characters of a decryption target was always "HH" because the goddamn Nazis couldn't help but keep signing the start of their messages with Heil Hitler

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mokotow posted:

I would focus on how they come into the thread. For instance, calling everyone "outright pro-Russian" and then spouting gibberish about narratives or whatever, rather than just posting.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Mokotow posted:

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mokotow posted:

thats right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mokotow posted:

You are a loving idiot, specifically this thread is significantly less probe incline than any of the other ones. You actively have to be coming in here making GBS threads all over the place to get probated with a comedy 6er