Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

depending on my mood, i weaver from "its cool there's a sonic legacy of stock sound effects" to "im tired of hearing the same stuff, make a new stock of stock"

apparently its the same with artificial flavors.

For some reason stock animal/human sfx bug the hell out of me but when I hear stock object sfx like that one pot breaking I’m like “ah, hello old friend”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Toshimo posted:

Do we just throw Entrapment in the thread for good measure?

Physically incapable of hearing her name without singing this to myself https://youtu.be/O7dWnAFEHPM

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Edge & Christian posted:

By the 1980s and beyond, I'm sure there was a level of desperation to modernize/adapt the characters, but it wasn't because they'd snobbishly turned down previous adaptations, it's because they'd been trying to adapt them for 50+ years at this point and none of them were hitting as well as they'd hoped.

The first modern comic, More Fun #1, is the first comic book with original material, in early 1935.

Superman debuts in early 1938 in Action Comics #1. (Same publisher, BTW)

Superman Radio show, 1940. By this point Blondie has been running in newspapers for TEN YEARS and Superman is barely two years old.

Kryptonite is eight years away. Brainiac won’t be created for another two decades. Lex Luthor has appeared in the comics for a whopping month so far, he’s a brand new character who was actually drawn wrong in his second appearance (he wasn’t supposed to be bald that was the Ultra Humanite) because he was so minor and new.

The first animated Superman cartoons drop in 1941.

Superman full-length movie (NOT a serial) in 1951.

Superman TV series in 1952. Superman predates TV coverage of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade. I Love Lucy is still in Season Two.

“We had a bunch of Blondie two reelers” is not exactly a massive medium shift. I’ve seen these movies on TCM, they are terrible.

Superman is a proven multimedia property less than two years after his debut. Never out of print for the last 85 years.

Siegel and Schuster were turned down by every newspaper syndicate they approached, their dream was to have the new Flash Gordon, not to put poo poo in the very very downscale comic books.

Oh wow, Popeye had one flop movie 43 years ago.

People are arguing in Cinema Discusso RIGHT NOW about who will be the next (movie) Superman. No, not the one on TV right now, no not the video game voiceover one, no not the OTHER one on TV right now.

DC maybe sells 20k Superman comics a month if the stars align and they are very lucky. He’s a TV and Movie character with a minor publishing tie-in at this point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baron von Eevl posted:

A lot of sounds in doom were chopped up or slowed down, or occasionally a few different sounds were overlaid, but AFAIK every sound from the original game was from a library. I know that's not true for doom 2 because of Romero's icon of sin intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bgFpss0YFE

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Superman TV series in 1952. Superman predates TV coverage of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade. I Love Lucy is still in Season Two.

A friend and I watched season 1 of I Love Lucy about a decade ago. As of then it held up pretty drat well. Sitcoms have been what they have been because of that show. Also fun fact, Lucille Ball helped get season one of Star Trek produced. Her providing sound stage space at DesiLu Studios was instrumental in making that happen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

two of the biggest hits of this year were video game adaptations.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least one of which was pretty much made with the IP holder probably having to have a commissar present to stop them loving it up like last time.

CelticPredator posted:

Idk which you’re talking about but I turned off the mario movie 20 mins in

Nintendo were extremely hands off during the production if the 1993 film after producer Roland Joffé talked them into letting him complete creative freedom and they were aghast at the final product and were extremely gun shy about adaptations after that, it took Hollywood decades to convince them to allow another film to be made. The 2014 Sony emails hack revealed that they'd been trying to buy back the rights to Super Mario Bros for quite some time but Nintendo kept saying no.

The production of the 1993 film is infamous for being a complete shitshow, there's a whole lot of articles out there if people want to read up on it.

quote:

In a 2007 interview, Hoskins said, "The worst thing I ever did? Super Mario Bros. It was a fuckin' nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! Fuckin' nightmare. Fuckin' idiots." He and Leguizamo got drunk before each day of filming and continued to drink between takes. In a 2011 interview, he was asked, "What is the worst job you've done?", "What has been your biggest disappointment?", and "If you could edit your past, what would you change?" His answer to all three was Super Mario Bros.

quote:

[Dennis Hopper] added, "My six-year-old son at the time – he's now 18 – he said, 'Dad I think you're probably a pretty good actor, but why did you play that terrible guy King Koopa in Super Mario Bros.?' And I said, 'Well Henry, I did that so you could have shoes,' and he said, 'Dad, I don't need shoes that badly.'"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ruddiger posted:

Was there a sonic arcade game? I was watching an ep of x-files the other night and Jack Black was working in an arcade where you can clearly hear the sonic music from the first game.
It could have been a Sega Mega Tech System which was just the genesis/megadrive games in an arcade cabinet, similar to the Nintendo Playchoice 10

Assepoester has a new favorite as of 04:21 on May 30, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also if anyone is wondering whether the video game nostalgia movie adaptation trend has peaked, they announced a live action Pac-Man movie just recently (spearheaded by one of the associate producers from the live action Sonic The Hedgehog film) and the Wikipedia page on videogame film adaptations has dozens and dozens of other games listed as "in development" including Duke Nukem, Space Invaders, Street Fighter, etc etc...

They're also working on a film adaptation of Talking Tom. Anyone remember that 2010 mobile app?? I hadn't even heard of it for years and years.

I just looked it up and not only are they still releasing new apps every year but there's been a whole lot of animated series with hundreds of episodes and the Youtube videos have been viewed tens of billions of times, with one video received 1.9 billion views alone.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Thomamelas posted:

Timothy Dalton has a wonderful knack of knowing when to be serious and when to chew scenery like a man who hasn't eaten in a week.

Skinner in Hot Fuzz is probably the greatest single example of that. Just the perfect character for him.

"Lock me up!"
"I'm sorry?"
"I'm a slasher! I must be stopped!"
"You're a what?"
"A slasher... of prices!"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

live action Pac-Man movie
I’d pay for 2 hours of this:
[video type=""]https://youtu.be/wQg7qOB5Heg[/video]

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Thomamelas posted:

Timothy Dalton has a wonderful knack of knowing when to be serious and when to chew scenery like a man who hasn't eaten in a week.

https://youtu.be/WfICiLbwz8I

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I remember on the commentary they mentioned someone behind the scenes exclaiming 'He's like a cartoon fox!' He is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ruddiger posted:

Was there a sonic arcade game? I was watching an ep of x-files the other night and Jack Black was working in an arcade where you can clearly hear the sonic music from the first game.

As said above, there was, though it's questionable how many film and TV show makers actually know this and just use stock video game sound effects they think are interchangeable, or at leas the audience they care about doesn't know the difference. At least it's also a reason why Sonic could show up in Wreck-It-Ralph. Mascots like Sonic do also sometimes cameo in arcade games. I think Sonic actually had his first appearance in one before his first game came out.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

mllaneza posted:

A friend and I watched season 1 of I Love Lucy about a decade ago. As of then it held up pretty drat well. Sitcoms have been what they have been because of that show. Also fun fact, Lucille Ball helped get season one of Star Trek produced. Her providing sound stage space at DesiLu Studios was instrumental in making that happen.

Hulu had this and it started on like episode 4 for some reason and it has Lucy being made to sing children's songs while being blasted with white goo. It was clearly someone's fetish lol. If ep4 is that bad imagine the 3 before were that THE MAN won't show us.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Hulu had this and it started on like episode 4 for some reason and it has Lucy being made to sing children's songs while being blasted with white goo. It was clearly someone's fetish lol. If ep4 is that bad imagine the 3 before were that THE MAN won't show us.

It's still wild that I Love Lucy originated as a novel adaptation.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Sonic actually had his first appearance in one before his first game came out.

Rad Mobile, a few months before. He's an ornament dangling from a chain on your car's rearview mirror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jntf2iVxjKc

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Also if anyone is wondering whether the video game nostalgia movie adaptation trend has peaked, they announced a live action Pac-Man movie just recently (spearheaded by one of the associate producers from the live action Sonic The Hedgehog film) and the Wikipedia page on videogame film adaptations has dozens and dozens of other games listed as "in development" including Duke Nukem, Space Invaders, Street Fighter, etc etc...

Is it wrong that the two Sonic movies (and apparently the new Mario movie is good as well) has made me cautiously optimistic for video game movies? It's obvious that there ARE directors and writers that care enough about the source material to want to at least be in the same ballpark as it. At least they can't be worse than Pixels, Ready Player One or the 90's Mario movie...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RP1 was probably the best adaptation of probably the worst source material in modern times. I hope Cline crashes his loving DeLorean.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 12:47 on May 30, 2023

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
The 90s Mario movie owns tbh

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

RP1 was probably the best adaptation of probably the source material in modern times. I hope Cline crashes his loving DeLorean.

Still a poo poo movie directly relating to video games. It may be the best adaptation possible, but it's adapting a poo poo novel to start with.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Randalor posted:

Is it wrong that the two Sonic movies (and apparently the new Mario movie is good as well) has made me cautiously optimistic for video game movies? It's obvious that there ARE directors and writers that care enough about the source material to want to at least be in the same ballpark as it. At least they can't be worse than Pixels, Ready Player One or the 90's Mario movie...

The new Mario movie ruled.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kchama posted:

The new Mario movie ruled.

I haven't had a chance to see it, Mrs Randalor still doesn't feel comfortable in theaters so we're just waiting for the physical release.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

with a rare handful of exceptions, i'm surprised it took 40 years before there hollywood finally started treating video game adaptations with any seriousness

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Skinner in Hot Fuzz is probably the greatest single example of that. Just the perfect character for him.

"Lock me up!"
"I'm sorry?"
"I'm a slasher! I must be stopped!"
"You're a what?"
"A slasher... of prices!"

Everybody knows this movie owns but I still remember my first time seeing it and I'm all "holy poo poo that's Timothy Dalton."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Rad Mobile, a few months before. He's an ornament dangling from a chain on your car's rearview mirror.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jntf2iVxjKc

On topic, drat, that's actually pretty cool looking even for today, considering what they were clearly working with. The rain effects in particular look pretty drat evocative. I like how the screen is fogged up for a moment before the driver turns on the windscreen wipers.

Mr Interweb posted:

with a rare handful of exceptions, i'm surprised it took 40 years before there hollywood finally started treating video game adaptations with any seriousness

Boomers generally literally can't comprehend video games as actual media, it seems to be all interchangeable noise and fuzz to them. It takes having both video game studios with the motivation and money to keep a gun to the head of studios to not gently caress it up and having directors actually capable of comprehending and accepting the existence of the source material, let alone working with it.

Unfortunately you're probably going to get even more really lovely cash-ins with whatever known names are cheap to license (especially if, like the Sonic movie, there's still a licensing deal in a drawer signed back in the 90s they never got around to) like when superhero movies were first taking off and studios were throwing anything at the wall that seemed remotely feasible.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

The first modern comic, More Fun #1, is the first comic book with original material, in early 1935.

Superman debuts in early 1938 in Action Comics #1. (Same publisher, BTW)

Superman Radio show, 1940. By this point Blondie has been running in newspapers for TEN YEARS and Superman is barely two years old.

Kryptonite is eight years away. Brainiac won’t be created for another two decades. Lex Luthor has appeared in the comics for a whopping month so far, he’s a brand new character who was actually drawn wrong in his second appearance (he wasn’t supposed to be bald that was the Ultra Humanite) because he was so minor and new.

The first animated Superman cartoons drop in 1941.

Superman full-length movie (NOT a serial) in 1951.

“We had a bunch of Blondie two reelers” is not exactly a massive medium shift. I’ve seen these movies on TCM, they are terrible.

Superman is a proven multimedia property less than two years after his debut. Never out of print for the last 85 years.

Siegel and Schuster were turned down by every newspaper syndicate they approached, their dream was to have the new Flash Gordon, not to put poo poo in the very very downscale comic books.

People are arguing in Cinema Discusso RIGHT NOW about who will be the next (movie) Superman. No, not the one on TV right now, no not the video game voiceover one, no not the OTHER one on TV right now.

DC maybe sells 20k Superman comics a month if the stars align and they are very lucky. He’s a TV and Movie character with a minor publishing tie-in at this point.
I am not sure what any of this has to do with the original position, "King Features characters are irrelevant because they were too snobbish to try to adapt their characters to other mediums." Even if those other adaptations sucked, they tried. And yes, Superman is a lot more popular than Blondie or Popeye. And more people consume Superman media outside of comic books. These all appear to be new takes that I don't even disagree with, but are completely unrelated to the original ones.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I cannot stress enough how much people should see this train wreck.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

It took that long for people who grew up playing video games to get into positions of power to make video game movies, I think.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr Interweb posted:

It's pretty funny how the '95 Mortal Kombat movie made more money than the '94 Street Fighter (even though it starred Jean-Claude Van Damme at pretty much the height of his career) but also beat the 2021 Mortal Kombat reboot.

Anyone remember the live action TV series Mortal Kombat: Conquest???? It was .......... not good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eAe8MFin0

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I remember liking the Popeye movie, but just know going in it's really weird.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It's pretty funny how the '95 Mortal Kombat movie made more money than the '94 Street Fighter (even though it starred Jean-Claude Van Damme at pretty much the height of his career) but also beat the 2021 Mortal Kombat reboot.

Raul Julia was too good for Street Fighter to be his final performance.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Raul Julia was too good for Street Fighter to be his final performance.

Who had it worse, Raul Julia in Street Fighter or Orson Welles in Transformers: The Movie?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Aramek posted:

it’s like… Robin Williams and the actress from the Shining, right? I swear I saw it on tv like 25 years ago and forgot entirely about it until just now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

endocriminologist posted:

The 90s Mario movie owns tbh

It’s way better than the new one. It’s weird, creative and unique.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Street Fighter had a post-credits scene where M Bison comes back from the dead but they cut it from the theatrical release out of respect for Julia, who'd died two months before the film premiered. They put it back in for the home release version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk-iTHPBpC0

:how:

CelticPredator posted:

It’s way better than the new one. It’s weird, creative and unique.

They hired the creators of Max Headroom to direct it, there's no way it wasn't going to end up weird, creative and unique :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rockman Reserve posted:

it’s like… Robin Williams and the actress from the Shining, right? I swear I saw it on tv like 25 years ago and forgot entirely about it until just now.

Also it's a musical

A musical starring Robin Williams

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

It's the same with comic movies, these things are popular but normal people couldn't possibly get into, let's strip it of what makes it fun and popular and take out anything fans would like. Quickly now, my cocaine budget grows smaller.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Aramek posted:

It was on one of those cable channels a couple months ago, I watched it with my dad. The only thing that stuck with me was how committed every person was, no matter how pointless their role seemed, and that it seemed so real. Too bad we never got that animated Popeye movie that was supposed to have come out back in 2019 or something

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anyone remember the live action TV series Mortal Kombat: Conquest???? It was .......... not good

I do - it introduced Kristanna Loken from Terminator 3 and co-starred the much underrated Daniel Bernhardt (best known to most as "the agent from The Matrix who isn't Hugo Weaving"). They did try, but it was a show with a negative budget and there's only so much you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Also it's a musical

A musical starring Robin Williams

And it’s by Robert Altman, one of the most respected American directors of all time.