Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

bobtheconqueror posted:

I mean there is a more or less permanent ironworks presence at Ralgr's Reach, so that wouldn't be a horribly difficult thing, and the ever present warmachina remains probably give them a heap of spare parts.

I agree though that insisting on giving Arenvald increased mobility regardless of what he wants would be selfish and dumb.

I think another thing is that most Eorzeans look at Magitek the same way Garleans look at magic.
"WTF is this poo poo, how is it doing that? Oh, and also it has been used to great effect at killing people I know, I would prefer to not have anything to do with that, thank you."

Like, part of the Ironworks mission statement was to advocate for magitek and that it can improve your quality of life and convincing all of us Aether-havers that it's worth embracing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

sweet geek swag posted:

Remember the quest where Lolorito is trying to get a foothold in Ala Mhigo so he decides to hire the guy from the back alley in Ul'dah so he can claim to employ Ala Mhigans, and he forces Lolorito to unionize? Good quest.

WHITE GOLD!

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Shogeton posted:

One thing I wonder about Endwalker, about Fourchenault. After his 'dad of the year award' worthy actions at the end of Shadowbringer, it is noted that it's kind of weird that he'd personally come all this way to deliver a 'No, screw you, let me specifically provoke my kids and suggest that we know more than we let on' when they could just have sent a letter 'per our last message, we're not getting involved' which probably would have had the Scions ignore Sharlayan.

Part of me feels that the idea was for Fourchenault to GET the twins in Sharlayan, so that if this WAS end times, and it was time to get on the ship, he could do it. Because he couldn't exactly TELL them, and any attempt to even vaguely suggest 'for your own safety' would have led to full 'heroism!' Because it's established that Fourchenault did at all times love the twins. So I could see the idea 'I get them here, and if poo poo goes pear shaped and it's clear the star is lost, I can convince them to get on the Ark in order to help the people there'

But why the whole 'voting to kick them out of Sharlayan' then?

The way I see it is that when it became clear to him that he wasn’t going to be able to argue the kids around as adults, he basically switched to treating them like children and switched to Stern Dad “I’m going to punish you now” (with about the only punishment he had available at that point) and was hoping for a climb-down from the twins, and was genuinely surprised when he essentially got “no gently caress you dad” back.

Also he’s almost certainly got some serious emotional baggage around Eorzea in general anyway so I wouldn’t expect him to behave 100% rationally in that case.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I think the idea is that Fourchenault loves his kids but he was in a situation where his duty came first and we could possibly meddle and break their preparations to flee the star. Preparations that would also save his children if worst came to worst. It wasn't after we had proven that we could help the Sharlayans with the ship that he realized how bad a mistake he made.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

"Gotta call in a few favors to own my dad" was a great moment.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I do appreciate that Fourchenault is significantly more agreeable to pretty much everything after 6.0 to the point of being a Role Quest partner.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I do appreciate that Fourchenault is significantly more agreeable to pretty much everything after 6.0 to the point of being a Role Quest partner.

Something to do with his immaculate posterior, I'm sure

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

That was a nice little reminder that Alphinaud's Nouliths did, in fact, belong to Fourchie before Ameliance handed them down, and he knew how to use them. I guess he got a second pair made at some point... probably after Alphinaud took his, just in case he needed them again.

I do have to wonder how much of the "how dare you resort to fighting for survival, you barbarians" attitude was actually them being that naive, as opposed to just deflecting from their SECRET SACRED MISSION.

Also, I just did the new trial. More than once, success rested on the shoulders of the sole Red Mage rezzing BOTH healers, because they were both dead. There was also a healer LB3 at one point.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Feldegast42 posted:

I think the idea is that Fourchenault loves his kids but he was in a situation where his duty came first and we could possibly meddle and break their preparations to flee the star. Preparations that would also save his children if worst came to worst. It wasn't after we had proven that we could help the Sharlayans with the ship that he realized how bad a mistake he made.

His master plan was basically grabbing both his kids by the napes of their necks and throwing them into the Ragnarok without explaining anything to them while the world burned down.

He just completely misjudged how much BOTH of them had grown in the time since he'd last seen them.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Bunny Zenos

https://twitter.com/Benedict__G/status/1663246403185803269

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Veev posted:

Raubahn might not want to replace his arm out of guilt, but you'd think at least 1 character would have 1 magic-science arm. It's all the rage right now.

My vote for inexplicable cyborg ninja reveal remains Mauh Lizheh, the food merchant gal from the postmoogle quest "The Past is a Story We Never Tell"

The end of that quest posted:

Ma used to say we can't see the moon while the sun is in the sky. So it might be with King Poach, I think. If he were taken, Urha will see that there are other lives, better loves.

I must believe that, if I'm to save my sister. And I need skill in arms... Wailer or poacher, I'll not stand helpless again while a man talks of how I shall suffer for his pleasure.

Keep killing poachers, adventurer. I will put the King of the Coeurlclaws in chains and free Urha from hers. I swear it on my mother's grave and on my sister's broken heart, and ask the elementals to bless this pledge...

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Azubah posted:

"Gotta call in a few favors to own my dad" was a great moment.

I still chuckle to myself with the Estinien cherry on top of "He'll be gunning for your position on the Council before too long."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
A random thought occurs to me, a question for those who've been around for a while.

I only started playing during 6.0. I know that Crystal Tower wasn't always mandatory, I think it was 5.3?

What happened to characters that were already past the "gotta do Crystal Tower now to progress" point, but hadn't done Crystal Tower yet? Did they get forced to drop everything and go do it to proceed with the MSQ, or did they get a sort of free pass? Like, someone was in the middle of Stormblood, or partway through Shadowbringers or something, but hadn't so much as started the Crystal Tower questline.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

BlazetheInferno posted:

A random thought occurs to me, a question for those who've been around for a while.

I only started playing during 6.0. I know that Crystal Tower wasn't always mandatory, I think it was 5.3?

What happened to characters that were already past the "gotta do Crystal Tower now to progress" point, but hadn't done Crystal Tower yet? Did they get forced to drop everything and go do it to proceed with the MSQ, or did they get a sort of free pass? Like, someone was in the middle of Stormblood, or partway through Shadowbringers or something, but hadn't so much as started the Crystal Tower questline.

I don't recall the exact quest in 5.3 when it popped up, but if you hadn't finished Crystal Tower at that point, you'd be blocked and have to go complete it before finishing the MSQ. The two checkpoints once the update was put through was one of the last quests in 2.55, or somewhere in the 5.3 MSQ. If you were past ARR but not yet at 5.3, you could keep putting it off right until quest progress blocked you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember that there was no option to be familiar with G'raha at the end of 5.0 if you hadn't done Crystal Tower, but that's the extent of my knowledge given I did all of the Alliance Raids in Stormblood.

That must've been so awkward. Here's a big dramatic reveal of... a character you've never met before!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The quests around the raids would be nonsense if you did them after ShB too.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Gearhead posted:

His master plan was basically grabbing both his kids by the napes of their necks and throwing them into the Ragnarok without explaining anything to them while the world burned down.

He just completely misjudged how much BOTH of them had grown in the time since he'd last seen them.

To be fair last time he saw them he was dealing with the 2.0 twins so it probably wasn't the worst idea

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I remember that there was no option to be familiar with G'raha at the end of 5.0 if you hadn't done Crystal Tower, but that's the extent of my knowledge given I did all of the Alliance Raids in Stormblood.

That must've been so awkward. Here's a big dramatic reveal of... a character you've never met before!

I started playing in May of last year, so it was already mandatory. When I got to that point, I was pissed that I was forced to do the CT Raids, so I just slammed through all the text and skipped all the cutscenes. When the reveal happened, I was like, "Who dat? Eh. Who cares!". Looked him up later, and went, "Oh. Meh."

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kheldarn posted:

I started playing in May of last year, so it was already mandatory. When I got to that point, I was pissed that I was forced to do the CT Raids, so I just slammed through all the text and skipped all the cutscenes. When the reveal happened, I was like, "Who dat? Eh. Who cares!". Looked him up later, and went, "Oh. Meh."

:angel: You never know when Side Content can slink out from the side and become relevant to the MSQ. :angel:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They're going to swerve us and make Tataru's Grand Adventure required for 7.0

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Gearhead posted:

:angel: You never know when Side Content can slink out from the side and become relevant to the MSQ. :angel:

Unfortunately

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

All I know is if we’re going back to the First for 6.5 then they goddamn well better at least give us a follow-up on Eden and the Void Quests.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

All I know is if we’re going back to the First for 6.5 then they goddamn well better at least give us a follow-up on Eden and the Void Quests.

We didn't even see Gaia or have her mentioned last time we went over there. Like at least put in a line of dialogue ffs

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Unless they make Eden MSQ-mandatory, the most we'll get is a namedrop and acknowledgement that she exists, but is elsewhere for people who've done the Eden questline.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ultima feels like something they're leaving as a potential loose end at least, with the reveal that she predates the Ancients. There's probably ways to introduce the race that Ultima is a part of without requiring anyone to do Ivalice or Pandemonium though, just letting people who do them just recognize them early similar to how they let Ivalice players immediately ask Lahabrea about Ultima the High Seraph for Pandemonium.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Unless they make Eden MSQ-mandatory, the most we'll get is a namedrop and acknowledgement that she exists, but is elsewhere for people who've done the Eden questline.

I'd be fine with that! They're busy working on renovating the Empty, she can have plenty to help out with.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't mind if they just said gently caress it and added characters like Gaia and Unukalhai into the plot as if their stories were done. The people that would care have likely done the important side stuff, and the people that don't, well, don't care.

Or make them all mandatory too. Both good.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

They did kinda just skip the Coils raid series when they introduced Alisae. Even acknowledged whether you did it, started and didn't complete, or nothing at all, if memory serves.

Granted that's a bit easier when it wasn't the first appearance and effective origin of the character.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hope they don't lock super important plot stuff behind a long grind for people who don't multiclass.

Just make the quests playable by anyone once the expansion's over.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Allarion posted:

Ultima feels like something they're leaving as a potential loose end at least, with the reveal that she predates the Ancients. There's probably ways to introduce the race that Ultima is a part of without requiring anyone to do Ivalice or Pandemonium though, just letting people who do them just recognize them early similar to how they let Ivalice players immediately ask Lahabrea about Ultima the High Seraph for Pandemonium.

Ultima doesn't seem to be a 'race' so much as just some kind of abstract space monster like.. I don't know.. Lavos. Except with an actual Infohazard component that damages world laws. So, maybe more like ORT.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

stev posted:

I hope they don't lock super important plot stuff behind a long grind for people who don't multiclass.

The only thing like this is the post role quest stuff, and that is still just doing all the quests, you just have to have different jobs leveled to do the quests. Alexander/Omega/Eden are hardly long grinds. The only one that feels long is the Ivalice raid series, just because it was handled in maybe the worst possible way.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

stev posted:

They already do this it’s called the whole dang game

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've managed to level up 3.3 healer jobs without ever healing so it's not like you even need to play them

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've done every role quest with the power of tribes, Frontline, catbook, hunts, and still dont really play anything other than DPS.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Attach a tank and ranged dps to Arcanist. The book is a shield and you shoot carbuncle off your arm like a dog. This makes leveling for the role quests very easy.

Or let BLU do any role quest. They can do anything!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

I've managed to level up 3.3 healer jobs without ever healing so it's not like you even need to play them

Not healing is the highest calling of any healer

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

stev posted:

There's a variety of reasons to level up an alt job but I imagine role quests are pretty boring overall IHMO :shobon:

I read my 1st and 2nd job quests then completely skipped the extra jobs I picked up later on and I still haven't done the melee RPR role quest because of lack of interest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Shadowbringers Role Quests were all interesting to varying degrees, though the Endwalker ones are much less so. The best of both is the Healer quest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Shadowbringers Role Quests were all interesting to varying degrees, though the Endwalker ones are much less so. The best of both is the Healer quest.

They keep making us less relevant, but we keep getting the best questlines! Who's the true winner?

...oh, right, Dark Knights in both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

They keep making us less relevant,

No they don't.