Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Team Getting Victor
This poll is closed.
Pistons 7 17.07%
Spurs 14 34.15%
Rockets 2 4.88%
Blazers 4 9.76%
UCONN 6 14.63%
Other 8 19.51%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

de curry GOAT posted:

This 5 out thing doesn’t look sustainable in the ‘yoffs

OKC and Toronto went out sad too

My guys put too much dip on their chip after winning 1 game and weren't ready for game 2 😔

We're ready for next year though 😤😤

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lol yeah I've been laughing about that Brown stuff. Nuggets dudes all making up so many narratives but hey when you keep winning you can tell whatever story you want.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Sucks that the pivotal game was influenced by a star player getting hobbled on the first play of the game. Oh well, see y'all next year.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Algund Eenboom posted:

In the most important basketball news of the day, SOURCES are saying that the nets are interested in trading for damian lillard, and bruce brown said durant and kyrie kicked him off the team for being too cool and nice https://twitter.com/LucasKaplan_/status/1661852722939691012

Players are such dreadful GMs

Durant and Kyrie were running the Nets like The Clique in WCW

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Sucks that the pivotal game was influenced by a star player getting hobbled on the first play of the game. Oh well, see y'all next year.

If they keep it together they're gonna win a title eventually, I've already accepted it.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Lmao is that the bear from Ted

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Holy lol

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy
Sad but not that surprised to see the Celtics Going Fishin'. I am not that upset because 2008 wasn't that long ago and I am aware other fanbases have been suffering for a long time. Still, I really want this mostly homegrown core to get a championship at some point.
I think the absurd early success this season made them think another Finals run was guaranteed, so they squandered like 6-8 wins in the regular season thinking they could turn it on in the playoffs and didn't need the 1-seed. Then the playoffs came and the offense was still shoot 3's something something win. Mazzula being a rookie coach didn't help and I think he should get at least another season and a reinforced assistant coach bench to see what they can do (Note: Will Harty got hired away, Mazzula got promoted, and then before the playoffs Stoudamire left so they were down 3 coaches). I hope seasoning, a experienced assistant, and a respected ex-player assistant can help gel the team so they don't repeat as the gently caress Around And Find Out Celtics. Then again, Mazzula still saying over relying on 3's isn't a problem after being eliminated is not a great sign.
Brown said a lot of the right things after the game, but all the C's have all year and they never actually follow through. I am not saying blow it up but I might be open to trading Brown mid season if it makes sense. Maybe Smart can regain his form of ACTUALLY BEING A POINT GUARD from the first 4 months of the season before he got hurt, came back and regressed 2 years. Williams probably needs to start next year (but not to many minutes as his knees are precious resources).
These guys got a bit better about bitching at the ref's but that could improve too.

Declan MacManus posted:

that joe mazzulla thing got buried
No excuse, but I thought it was him drunk at a bar in college, and he's been non-lovely since. It was brought up a bit when he got the gig but I think he stopped drinking or barely drinks now.

Dexo posted:

sell him on winning a ring, to take the minimum, or like a Bi Annual or MLE or something.

Celts could keep him on Ice and healthy until April.
So like Captain America getting thawed out right before the first Avengers movie but with more whimsical insurance ads and nut shots.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

KurdtLives posted:

So like Captain America getting thawed out right before the first Avengers movie but with more whimsical insurance ads and nut shots.

Yes, but I mean CP3 would never do it, he would never take a paycut lol.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Rick posted:

If that's a serious question the Celtics could do it pretty easy if they act fast. Chris Paul's salary number is only around 16 mil until the end of June.

Nah, it's partially guaranteed for next season for $16m with a guarantee date before free agency starts.

Unless the Suns cut him he'll be making $30.8m next season.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Players are such dreadful GMs

Durant and Kyrie were running the Nets like The Clique in WCW

Yeah the disbelief over this is surprising because didn’t they get a coach fired/Jarrett Allen given away to play more DeAndre Jordan?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You see, Boston needed to take fewer open 3s and instead clank more contested middies.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Brad Stevens is a good talent scout but he's responsible for the problems on the roster. Mazzulla is not a playoff caliber coach. Smart, Tatum, and Brown can't stay together because there's no playmaking. G Williams, R Williams, and Horford can't stay together because salary (for Grant) and health between Rob and Al. The front court was my biggest concern coming into the season but the back court looks equally bad in playoffs. Tatum is worth a supermax. Brown, no. Brown needs a PG to be worth it and paying him 45-50m for turnovers is a bad look. These problem have existed since last season and some before then. The core has reached it peak and its the conference finals. Its on Brad to improve the team's outlook. They could get another Derrick White, Malcom Brogdon, etc but it doesn't matter in crunch time or playoffs. Smart, Al, Rob, and Tatum are trying. Brown looked bad the conference finals but he didn't do anything unusual. There needs to be a new direction or next year its the Cavs or the Knicks or the Nets exploiting the same Celtic flaws.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The conference finals are the peak of a team that made the finals last year. Noted

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Mazzulla is fine. People are WAYYYY overrating coaching impact during these playoffs. If the difference between being outcoached or outcoaching someone is Tatums ankle and Brown's failed heroball act then its not actually about coaching.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Lockback posted:

Mazzulla is fine. People are WAYYYY overrating coaching impact during these playoffs. If the difference between being outcoached or outcoaching someone is Tatums ankle and Brown's failed heroball act then its not actually about coaching.
Tatum wasn't injured when they went 0-3 (2 at home)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

temple posted:

Tatum wasn't injured when they went 0-3 (2 at home)

It's a good thing he got to chapter 4 of "how to coach" that said "Winning 3 games in a row is good" but then forgot the lesson or some poo poo.

Games are decided by players. Heat had a good run, Celtics had a good run, then Tatum got hurt and the Celtics couldn't get the ball in the hoop despite the Heat looking awful last night. It was a very winnable game, and the narrative would have been Spo got outcoached for losing 4 in a row instead if the Celtics won. Tatum's ankle and Brown's bad game happened, not coaching.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought Mazzula's rotations were somewhat bizarre in game 7.

On the other hand, i mean, he's not really gonna be much worse.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 30, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Lockback posted:

It's a good thing he got to chapter 4 of "how to coach" that said "Winning 3 games in a row is good" but then forgot the lesson or some poo poo.

Games are decided by players. Heat had a good run, Celtics had a good run, then Tatum got hurt and the Celtics couldn't get the ball in the hoop despite the Heat looking awful last night. It was a very winnable game, and the narrative would have been Spo got outcoached for losing 4 in a row instead if the Celtics won. Tatum's ankle and Brown's bad game happened, not coaching.
The Heat had injuries from game 1 of round 1. Boston gets a few at the end and the Heat still outplay them. I guess its all luck :shrug:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

temple posted:

The Heat had injuries from game 1 of round 1. Boston gets a few at the end and the Heat still outplay them. I guess its all luck :shrug:

Spo needed at least a couple years developing the depth to step up like that. Mazulla ain't even had six months.

I still don't think Mazulla is a good coach (more Rob Williams minutes, please) but it is still too early to tell. I wouldn't be shocked either way if the Celtics kept him or fired him. There are good reasons for both decisions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tatum was absolutely hobbling. He could have pulled Tatum completely but then we'd just be posting that that was the reason they lost and then Tatum would have been roasted for not toughening it out which is not what you want happening to your franchise guy.

Like I promise you, the NBA is what is is because of the players, not the coaches.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lockback posted:

Tatum was absolutely hobbling. He could have pulled Tatum completely but then we'd just be posting that that was the reason they lost and then Tatum would have been roasted for not toughening it out which is not what you want happening to your franchise guy.

Like I promise you, the NBA is what is is because of the players, not the coaches.

Yeah, I think first year coach joe mazzulla just doesn't have the job security/street cred/balls to pull Tatum when he's hobbling- there were plays where i think they would've been better off with someone else.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kibner posted:

Spo needed at least a couple years developing the depth to step up like that. Mazulla ain't even had six months.

I still don't think Mazulla is a good coach (more Rob Williams minutes, please) but it is still too early to tell. I wouldn't be shocked either way if the Celtics kept him or fired him. There are good reasons for both decisions.

I generally think firing a coach who got the job under utterly wild circumstances who didn't have a chance to hire or set up his assistants while losing a number of them, and didn't have an offseason to prep and plan for being the headcoach is pretty unfair.

the NBA isn't fair, so yeah, if you think there is an upgrade I guess you go do it. but man dude was in a rough position.

I think Joe Mazzulla, is like any other number of coaches in the league, good enough, he's not like an elevation coach, but there are like 2-3 of those in the league.

The Celtics problem under the past 3 coaches has been their consistency. At some point the players need to decide what the gently caress they want to be.

Also people wanted loving Spo to be fired after he and his team sucked their first year with the Big 3.

People need to chill sometimes, and like give coaches and players a chance to develop and improve. Let dude have a full offseason and learn from mistakes and try and diagnose what he and his staff can do to fix. If the same problems continue to happen with Joe next year then sure fire him. But maaaan.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 30, 2023

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Dexo posted:

I generally think firing a coach who got the job under utterly wild circumstances who didn't have a chance to hire or set up his assistants while losing a number of them, and didn't have an offseason to prep and plan for being the headcoach is pretty unfair.

the NBA isn't fair, so yeah, if you think there is an upgrade I guess you go do it. but man dude was in a rough position.

I think Joe Mazzulla, is like any other number of coaches in the league, good enough, he's not like an elevation coach, but there are like 2-3 of those in the league.

I think it will come down to whether or not they feel this is the peak for those players and system. If so, they might as well bring in a new coach to change things up if they feel someone noticeably better is out there (which, at this point, would probably have to be someone equally inexperienced).

I mostly agree with Lockback; perhaps this series was a slightly more about coaching than normal but does another coach make up that difference? They ain't getting Spo

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Dexo posted:

The Celtics problem under the past 3 coaches has been their consistency. At some point the players need to decide what the gently caress they want to be.
I guess its time to change some of the players.

temple fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 30, 2023

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If the Celtics had just made the ECF for the first or second time with a 25 and 26 year old as their two best players, everyone would look at them as a team that's ready to make the ascent into Serious Contention, but because they've been a borderline finals team since Tatum's rookie season people have a weird perspective on the team. Zero reason that a team that made the finals last year and was a win away this year should be getting "blow it up" calls

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

xbilkis posted:

If the Celtics had just made the ECF for the first or second time with a 25 and 26 year old as their two best players, everyone would look at them as a team that's ready to make the ascent into Serious Contention, but because they've been a borderline finals team since Tatum's rookie season people have a weird perspective on the team. Zero reason that a team that made the finals last year and was a win away this year should be getting "blow it up" calls

Yeah, i think this team's fine- they really could use a point guard but the team hasn't been night and day better when they had a premier point guard (isaiah, kyrie, kemba). I mean, Kemba was washed when he got there, but still.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

xbilkis posted:

If you don't want a championship every year you should blow it up and tank for draft picks, there should be maybe 2 teams competing each year and everyone else tanking for the same pick, I'm an NBA podcast guy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Who's calling for that?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think being inexperienced, coming into the season unexpectedly and quite late, and everything else kind of set him Mazzulla to fail. Let him at least have a season where he can set up his own assistants.

Edit
Late in the offseason.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 30, 2023

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

temple posted:

Who's calling for that?

Lots of people? e.g.

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1663543235216830464

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That dude wants to blow up every single basketball team, what a clown.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

That dude wants to blow up every single basketball team, what a clown.

Idk he's talking about making the Celtics much worse. We should hear him out

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

You don't blow up a team that's made the ECF/Finals almost consistently.

You figure out why you can't get over the hump.

Joe, Brad, Brown, Tatum need to like sit in a room and figure out what the gently caress they want their offense to look like if it's not gonna be Tatum/Brown being forced to hit tough shots and go supernova to win.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Personally, I think Miami should have blown it up and traded for Ben Simmons after last year when they got bounced in the ECF.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Dexo posted:

You don't blow up a team that's made the ECF/Finals almost consistently.

You figure out why you can't get over the hump.

Joe, Brad, Brown, Tatum need to like sit in a room and figure out what the gently caress they want their offense to look like if it's not gonna be Tatum/Brown being forced to hit tough shots and go supernova to win.

paying Ben Affleck on cameo to introduce the concept of The Layup to the boston celtics

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A man writing a whole rear end column to troll his boss is admirable, actually.

My favorite* blow up the Celtics idea comes from Wolves SBNation:

(They want to use the pick to draft Scoot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm honestly not sure I'd be against that trade, assuming Simmons is ok being a Lou Williams sixth man type.