Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are you in EL1 or something. No way you get enough mats from trash encounters

You can get the various mats and xp from trash mobs daily when they respawn. It's a slow grind but to me it's the most sensible since you'll use your trailblazer points for echos of war, crimson calyxes, stagnant shadows, and corrosion caverns.

It's not like you have to immediately get all the rewards and max everything out in a new patch on the same day it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
man, the material drought is real.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

It's not like you have to immediately get all the rewards and max everything out in a new patch on the same day it comes out.

this is an argument against doing what you claim to be doing

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I just use all my stamina on money unless I'm looking for specific mats right there and then after reading a dozen posts going "hey I'm leveling 60-70 and now I'm broke?". I'm gonna be prepared!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

You should be money farming for the long term reasons

I'm not because I just want to farm mats and upgrade my units and I am avoiding that future by not looking at it coming at me.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure it'd take me a year of grinding regular mobs to get enough cash to level up my new Before Dawn to 70

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
at EQ4 I'm spending my stamina on trace materials mostly, and occasionally converting into SU keys when I don't feel like grinding.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Grinding regular mobs for calyx mats sounds a lot like leveling characters through combat XP.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I mean to be clear: you should play how you want, I just question the amount of effort it takes to clear up the maps every day which probably give about the same or less total than like 20 ap of credits calyx.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if you need credits that badly farm the SU so you at least get roguelite exp while youre at it (unless youre aready maxed there too which...hum..well I guess you probably dont need credits anymore)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Apparently it's 25k credits for 1-1.5hrs of farming per day at eq3. Which is a single run of the golden calyx at eq4 for me. Doesn't seem very worthwhile to me but whatever floats your boat

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah calyx certainly seems far more effective.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I sometimes full clear maps because I'm bored and i'm happy with getting purple mats when I'm lucky.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

I was leveling a lot of hunt characters and got low on one particular mob mats one day. So did the daily route for a few days

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Clearing up the map is for the character XP rather than the mats or the credits. At EQ4, a full clear of all maps gives you about 40K XP per character. That's around 8 purple books per day, plus the credits you'd have spent using that XP. It's mostly something to do if you just want an excuse to play the game more.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Grinding is never okay.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I mean grinding is basically all I do in HSR right now but it's only for like 10mins a day

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Clarste posted:

Meanwhile I've beaten SU4-2 with every path because I've been using it to grind the unlocks.

Clarste posted:

Grinding is never okay.

???

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It was just this morning I learned the Golden Calyx wasn't replaced by the Crimson. I was struggling to level my characters up to 40, but now I can grind it out and have everyone on par in a day or two. Pretty good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Clarste posted:

Grinding is never okay.

Number go up is the best kind of dopamine

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Dang, I really wanted the Preservation BP light cone but went for Erudition instead since I didn't have anything good for Jing Yuan. Then today my standard banner procs Night on the Milky Way.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Let's not let all this talk about grinding distract us from the true message which is that people that run Golden Calyxes are the worst sort of scum.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

wait what did we do, this is a miscarriage of justice

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Xalidur posted:

Dang, I really wanted the Preservation BP light cone but went for Erudition instead since I didn't have anything good for Jing Yuan. Then today my standard banner procs Night on the Milky Way.

FWIW the BP light cone is better for him than NotMW.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Farming the daily mob respawns is a thing you can do for "free" stamina if you're extremely bored and really want to play more Star Rail, but the amount of money it actually gives you in practice is so small that it might produce enough credits to level up and equip a single character in a few years.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Look man, it ain't my proudest moment but sometimes 18k per day from assignment plus 5k from the daily mission plus a few k from killing random mobs in the overworld just doesn't cut it.

Especially when you start looking at trace level 7-8. Good lord.

At least I make sure to always take a loaner character (for all fights that allow it) so someone else somewhere is always getting a few extra credits.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Night on the Milky Way is, much like Himeko herself, tuned to very specific style of gameplay that isn't necessarily useful.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Clarste is not ok.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I do the daily farming route for now cuz i got enough free time and sure 1 days worth may not look like much but do it for 30 days and it'll add up to a decent chunk of free xp + credits. its not like i need the levels immediately so I'm gonna see if I can go 60-70 entirely on farming (ill probably cave + get some levels at some point idk). alls i know is i hit EL4 and my credits went to zero REAL fast.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

Night on the Milky Way is, much like Himeko herself, tuned to very specific style of gameplay that isn't necessarily useful.

Himeko was my beginner banner roll and Night on the Milky Way was given to me through the standard banner.

I am fated to this specific style of gameplay and I hope she becomes specifically useful at some point.

(I mean she's fine, but I hope one day there'll be some content where I feel extra lucky to have Himeko and her LC lol)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Himeko is pretty good for the existing echoes of war bosses and she's decent for human Cocolia, I guess. If they ever put the deer into SU she'll be okay there too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

I also never auto any fights either anywhere.

And I also play on normal speed too.

And I never do any golden calyxes too when you can just get plenty of xp, credits, and LC xp from clearing out mobs daily, and the daily guide missions

Everything about this is wrong.

If you clear all three worlds worth of mobs, you only get like 70% of the way to 51 from 50.

This takes an hour and a half. You get maybe 20-30k credits, which is nothing when traces cost like 60-80k, not including awakening, leveling, etc Light cone xp? What light cone xp, nothing levels light cones outside of shoving scrolls into them

and normal speed? This has to be a troll

NeonPunk posted:

To me, it's kinda wasteful for the game devs to pour in all the efforts in the graphics if everyone just set on 2x speed and everything just become a blur

Oh ok, this is a troll

I will say, if you clear the world you will get around 100-130 of each green mat....that is to say, the green mats you can send someone on an expedition for. not the ones you still have to farm the calyxes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I mean if people want to play this game in the slowest possible way that's their time. Godspeed, have fun

I'm sitting here staring at the lightcone banner telling myself Jing Yuan doesn't need more beef. He's so beef already. I can live without a craft essence. C'mon. Save for Blade.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I can kinda understand not wanting to turn the game into, say, Granblue where the meta became refreshing the client so that the only thing you ever see are loading screens and the results screen. There's quite a bit of distance from this to that, though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

x1 speed is so ridiculously slow there's no way it's meant to be played that way. It's like .5 speed. It's crazy!

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
having a built in 2x speed option with truncated and in some cases unique character barks is a far cry from the loading screen gaming of gbf, really feels like they built the game around it and 1x is for ~cinematic story fights~ or whatever

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

1x speed is great and the way the game was meant to be played.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Call me what you want but I went from having 2 characters at level 40 up to 9 just today alone, simply by farming Calyx. I only log on about once a day usually so being able to spend 5 minutes blowing my energy on Calyx is more useful than just aimlessly wandering around the space station and ice planet clearing mobs for no real benefit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Walla posted:

Call me what you want but I went from having 2 characters at level 40 up to 9 just today alone, simply by farming Calyx. I only log on about once a day usually so being able to spend 5 minutes blowing my energy on Calyx is more useful than just aimlessly wandering around the space station and ice planet clearing mobs for no real benefit.

I'm pretty sure it's a joke. You're supposed to be farming calyxes, the amount of resources required to level characters up and pay for their upgrades are not reasonably possible to acquire from the scrapings you get from farming world mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

what I dont get is destructibles

15-25 credits? really? even if I could do it every single cooldown it wouldnt amount to a single elite kill in the SU