Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

hello internet posted:

Is this even a real thing in 2023 or is it just another case of gamer superstition?

That's an extremely real thing that only becomes more real the more new wireless smart devices that your neighbors buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

hello internet posted:

Is this even a real thing in 2023 or is it just another case of gamer superstition?
If anything it’s more real now than ever before since everything is transmitting something.

Just buy a wire.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

hello internet posted:

It’s very much a real thing, you notice it with non-guaranteed transmission protocols like UDP because with guaranteed protocols, the high bandwidth will mask the effect by just requesting any dropped packet again and having it get sent successfully without you noticing. Non-guaranteed real time transmissions like game inputs can be highly affected by radio interference.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Between the sneaky DRM inclusion last second and the NDA lifting for everything but how costumes are obtained is making me fear a last minute fumble by capcom

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

There was no way they weren't going to DRM the poo poo out this, after the cracked beta debacle.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Between the sneaky DRM inclusion last second and the NDA lifting for everything but how costumes are obtained is making me fear a last minute fumble by capcom

Not to say it's ideal, but nobody should be surprised by dlc costumes at this point.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Gutcruncher posted:

It just occurred to me that they quietly added Denuvo the moment reviews came out. They left it out of the game until critics were done with it so it wouldn’t impact their score.

I gotta say, I respect the balls it took to do that

Edit: like if Disney screened a “review friendly” The Little Mermaid for critics and then the version that makes it to theaters is the real one with a 20 minute uncensored rape scene

No but they’ll mention “it’s weird how there game chugs for no reason”

my man your analogies need some work

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

chumbler posted:

Not to say it's ideal, but nobody should be surprised by dlc costumes at this point.

DLC costumes I would be fine with, they've been doing it since sf4, so I don't think theyd keep that in the NDA still. I'm more concerned that they're trying to sneak a paid battlepass through

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

hello internet posted:

it’s been a thing since marconi invented the radio in 1895

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

playing wired is just good manners

don't be mean to the community. plug it in.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I heard the release day version of the game you can only play as luke. Capcom back to being bad capcom

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

incorporeal posted:

I heard the release day version of the game you can only play as luke. Capcom back to being bad capcom

holding out for street fighter 6 guy edition

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

reviewers have mentioned there are battle passes and premium currencies because Capcom just had to find a way to gently caress things up

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

quote:

Street Fighter 6 follows a seasonal DLC pattern, with the first season of post-release characters already announced. In addition, Capcom will be adopting a “Battle Pass” format for SF6, (“Fighter’s Pass”) with free and premium tracks offering rewards for players. Costumes, colors, avatar gear, and other items will be purchasable via “Fighter Coins” (real currency) and “Drive Tickets” (earned in-game). Each character currently has one alternate costume that can be unlocked through playing World Tour.

https://www.destructoid.com/reviews/street-fighter-6-review-destructoid-fgc-capcom-fighting-games/

Sounds like you can still just buy them a la carte if you want

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I knew it was too good to be true. The stench of SF5 still reeks.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Oh so you unlock classic Ryu, Chun, Guile, etc. via World Tour? Guess I gotta play it after all :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don’t mind battle passes tbh. Seems to be industry standard poo poo now. Big whatevs. If the cosmetics are cool enough, I’ll consider it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

hello internet posted:

It’s 100% a real thing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've never played much of games with battle passes, it's really going to depend on what sort of stuff you get from it. I'm not actually sure what this could be for in the long run, there are only so many alternative costumes and colors you could have.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

teagone posted:

I don’t mind battle passes tbh. Seems to be industry standard poo poo now. Big whatevs. If the cosmetics are cool enough, I’ll consider it.

I mean yeah they're industry standard. In f2p games. It's pretty lame to buy a game at full retail price only to find that there's tons of stuff locked behind paying even more. I wouldn't begrudge them at all for shifting to that kind of model like a year after release in order to keep supporting more content, but rolling it out right out the gate is just greedy.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Battle passes as a concept aren't inherently a problem imho. It's a stupid industry trend that will pass in time. That said, fighting games are a good genre for them. It's just cosmetics so I can't get fussy about it.

I'm so glad the reviews are lining up with my expectations. I think this game is gonna do some very big numbers and there gonna be so much new blood in the community.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also if you can just buy stuff a la carte, that kinda makes it a bit better.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Bland posted:

I mean yeah they're industry standard. In f2p games. It's pretty lame to buy a game at full retail price only to find that there's tons of stuff locked behind paying even more. I wouldn't begrudge them at all for shifting to that kind of model like a year after release in order to keep supporting more content, but rolling it out right out the gate is just greedy.

It is also industry standard for full-priced AAA multiplayer games, sadly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i bought the $100 steam package, wonder if i get the battle pass included or not

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bland posted:

If it’s just cosmetics, it’s not that big of a deal imo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my main complaint is the ultimate edition doesnt even tell you wtf the 8 outfits you get are and who they are for

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah having a free path is certainly a better option, but in-game currency or DLC cosmetics is just modern gaming economics. Once it fucks with gameplay and there's a degree of 'pay to win' it becomes a real problem.

DLC Inc posted:

my main complaint is the ultimate edition doesnt even tell you wtf the 8 outfits you get are and who they are for

It's 8 different Rufus costumes for Ryu.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Battle passes in my experience have avoided pay to win stuff since there's a reasonable awareness that players hate that, though I hardly have an exhaustive knowledge of battle passes across all gaming. That said they're still super annoying when the tasks need you to go out of your way or use characters you don't play to accomplish them (looking at you Gundam evo, but that's a case study in terrible monetization). If it's just keep playing the game and you can buy the stuff in it regardless, then whatever, I was going to do that anyway. Sure it'd be better if it was free, but that ain't the world we live in.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DLC Inc posted:

It reads to me like the costumes are for the DLC characters but there's a little wiggle room I guess, and you obviously don't know what they look like

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The reality of being allowed to pay for the privilege to grind.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Preload is up on steam.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Cosmetics are a big deal, to the tune of billions of dollars. If you're not into them great but this poo poo is evil for those of us who are.

I'm not buying SF6, I'm not getting FOMO'd, I refuse to support this. I'll buy the ultimate in 3 years at 40 bucks and save hundreds. If this is how it's gonna be, oh well.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cosmetics are a big deal, to the tune of billions of dollars. If you're not into them great but this poo poo is evil for those of us who are.

I'm not buying SF6, I'm not getting FOMO'd, I refuse to support this. I'll buy the ultimate in 3 years at 40 bucks and save hundreds. If this is how it's gonna be, oh well.

Coward's way out, play strictly default costume Ryu for the duration of the game's lifespan and commit to the bit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekrftDwdCQE

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

teagone posted:

Twiddling my thumbs, waiting for GMG to send me my Steam key for pre-loading.

I'm in the same boat. Now that pre-loading has started I hope that the codes come out soon!

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Did you skip SF4 and SF5 too, because this isn't new.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Double Bill posted:

Did you skip SF4 and SF5 too, because this isn't new.

I bought Ultimate SF4. Never bought SF5 because it was over-monetized and got bad reviews from Trusted Gamer Friends when it came out.

I simply will not support this poo poo. Battle Passes are gaming poison. I am 100% ok with "pay money get character" DLC but BPs are a whole different and terrible level.

Edit: the only kind that isn't is the "buy the pass and it never expires and you can get the stuff whenever" but that is not how they work, scumbag psychology poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I think I paid like $50 for SFV at release (also from GMG) and then bought an upgrade pack that included a bunch of DLC a bit later for like another $20 or something. Wasn’t that bad tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

teagone posted:

If it’s just cosmetics, it’s not that big of a deal imo.

This is where I'm at too, but battle passes will always be lame and deserve to be poo poo on, on principle.

I'm going to be spending 80% of my time in ranked matches regardless so whatever