Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I hit the power button and Putin's speech comes on, and I jizz in my pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zelensky needs to get tough and level the Kremlin. And bomb Russia today.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

quote:

WHO records more than 1000 attacks on health care in Ukraine over the past 15 months of full-scale war

WHO has verified more than 1000 attacks on health care in Ukraine since the invasion by the Russian Federation in February last year – the highest number WHO has ever recorded in any humanitarian emergency. This grim milestone yet again highlights the difficult and dangerous circumstances in which the country’s health system operates, and the challenges of providing both routine and emergency health-care services. Attacks hinder access to health care for tens of thousands of people, increasing the risks of illness and death.

The 1004 WHO-verified attacks over the past 15 months of full-scale war have claimed at least 101 lives, including of health workers and patients, and injured many more. They have impacted health providers, supplies, facilities and transport, including ambulances.

WHO defines an attack on health care as “any act of verbal or physical violence, obstruction or threat of violence that interferes with the availability, access and delivery of curative and/or preventive health services during emergencies”. This can range from violence with heavy weapons to psychosocial threats and intimidation that affect access to health care for those in need.

“These attacks threaten the safety and well-being of health workers and undermine care for people living close to conflict areas,” said Dr Jarno Habicht, WHO Representative in Ukraine. “Attacks on health care are a violation of international humanitarian law. They deprive people of the care they need and have wide-ranging, long-term consequences.”

Such attacks rob entire communities of essential health services that are needed to save lives, leading to increased illness and death and deterioration of health systems in the longer term. The psychological effect on patients scared to seek health care, and on health workers unable to provide care in safe and protected environments, are also significant, and will impact the health of the population for long periods of time.

WHO continues to advocate for safe access for the delivery of health-care services, free from violence, threat or fear. This is critical to putting people in need at the centre of the collective humanitarian response.

“The fact that the health system in Ukraine continues to operate amid such circumstances is a testament to the heroic dedication of health-care workers,” continued Dr Habicht. “Despite the challenges posed first by the COVID-19 pandemic and now well over a year of war, Ukraine’s health-care workers remain amazingly strong, brave and patient, day after day, saving lives and providing care to those in need. We stand in solidarity with them and all those working to ensure that everyone in Ukraine has access to the health care they need.”

WHO has been monitoring and responding to health needs in the regions most affected by fighting in the east and south of the country. According to the Health Resources and Services Availability Monitoring System (HeRAMS), health facilities in the most affected areas, including Kherson, Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhia and Donetsk, have reported facing difficulties due to lack of security and to structural damage. However, a high percentage of health facilities in these regions are functional and accessible, even though they continue to operate only partially due to damage.

“Even as we continue to verify attacks on health care as this relentless war grinds on, we also note that attacks on other civilian infrastructure, especially in the past 6 months, are indirectly impacting the capacity of the health system overall,” explained Dr Habicht. “WHO has so far reached almost 9 million people with support nationwide since 24 February last year. We are stepping up efforts, along with the United Nations and other partners, to access more areas, including regained parts of Ukraine where health needs are among the most acute.”

According to WHO data, significant challenges have been reported in providing specialized services, such as chemotherapy and mammography, due to a lack of staff and medical equipment. Some regions also face difficulties in providing high-skilled childbirth services.

Although primary health-care remains widely available in war-affected regions, health costs have been increasing in the past half-year. Surveys conducted by WHO indicate that nearly a third of the population is finding it difficult to afford certain health services.

https://www.who.int/europe/news/ite...-full-scale-war

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

https://aqua-teen-hunger-force.fandom.com/wiki/Master_Your_Finances_and_$HAKE_IT_UP!

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Toxic Mental posted:

A lot of people in the western leftist circles have a self-punishment / self-hate fetish in 2023. The George Galloway types. I think it's great that they're so willing to expose themselves online about Ukraine for everyone to see because it's clearly repulsive to people with a normal moral compass. I forget who said it but it was something like it's a way for white western men to co-opt a distorted version of civil rights movements and marginalize themselves mentally. i.e. "No, you can't be the one to blame, WE'RE the one to blame. Your country's crimes pale in comparison to ours", etc.

I've thought something similar, but must admit I never made the explicit connection until now of it being another form of appropriation. It makes a lot of sense though, given the direct silencing and marginalising of actual Ukrainian and Eastern European voices and narrative (and Venezuelan ones in other examples), in order to centre the discussion around them/their country.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yes, the American Mark 14 torpedoes did. They were developed during the poor inter war period and barely tested. They had numerous issues, including, but not limited to...

- running deeper than they had been set to (ie. just sailing harmlessly under Japanese ships)
- exploding prematurely
- failing to explode at all on contact, leading to submariners listening to clonk sounds as the torpedoes they risked life and limb to fire hit their targets perfectly to absolutely no effect
- ran in a circular pattern, ie. just did a big old loop and then came back to strike the ship that fired it

As far as I know that is all correct but this:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

but the Navy intentionally suppressed the reports for ages because they didn't want to spend a ton of money replacing their torpedo arsenal
Isn't quite correct.

There were actually huge issues getting the problems to occur during testing, due to a half assed and faulty testing set up (torpedo passed under a boat instead of hitting it? Well lets assume it destroyed the boat thanks to our super secret magnetic fuse!!), and it took them a while to figure it out. There were failures with that torpedo involving not only its depth sensor and contact fuse but also the magnetic fuse too. There were 1 or 2 instances where they did a test after complaints about the torpedos and it passed the tests and the reports were ignored as a result of that. At least at first anyways. The Bureau of Ordnance also kept being assholes and trying to deny everything and dragged their feet all the time too didn't help any.

Gradually the complaints kept coming in and getting louder and a more involved study was done to try and replicate the problem but they didn't figure out what was wrong and how to solve it until relatively late in the war. I don't think they even figured out that the depth sensor was faulty until pretty late in 1942 for instance. Wiki says they didn't figure it all out until late 1943 apparently.

Part of the problem turned out to be that they tried so hard to keep everything secret that lots of details were with held and apparently not even tested properly in the first place to try and prevent information about it from spreading. The magnetic sensor fuse was one of those components and I think so was the depth sensor. I think it also turned out that the testing facilities that were supposed to be responsible for making sure everything worked got their budgets cut and that was claimed to be a factor too but I'm not sure on that one.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Comparatively the Japanese Type 93 torpedo ("Long Lance") was incredibly good.
Yeah and they kept downplaying and underestimating it too which was really dumb. The Japanese blew up a bunch of US boats because of that. I think they kept blaming it on somehow missing some Japanese subs off to the side or something instead of the ones right in front of them too.

There's a great Drachnifel series of vids that talks about all this stuff and its just insane the amount of lost lives and equipment that occured because of all this poo poo.

I think this is it, been a while since I last watched it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jET2M8yP4Jo

Pretty long but great if you love history.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 30, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Vovan the Bananrian

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Maybe he means Ukropia but in EU markets due to trademark issues

:golfclap:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

zone posted:

Vovan the Bananrian

More like Vlad the Chimp Failure.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663584698356867074
Alas, another smoking accident happened in Melitopol overnight.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

Vovan the Bananrian

Oh no

lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

zone posted:

Vovan the Bananrian

Too horny, tooooo horny. Pull up, thread! Pull up!

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Zelensky needs to get tough and level the Kremlin. And bomb Russia today.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thank you, mods. it's posting like this that's getting people killed out there

stay sharp

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You're welcome sir, out here trying my hardest

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1663550716236173319
So I'm at best ambivalent towards the attacks on Moscow but its a bit noticeable to me that people like Glen don't ever seem to have any opinion at all about the endless amount of airstrikes carried out by Russians on Ukraine but will say that these attacks that to my knowledge have not actually killed anyone as of now are a dangerous escalation on the way to world war?

The Ukrainians have denied responsibility haven't they? I can't make much sense of the potential positions here, if Ukraine actually is doing it, it would be weird to me that they aren't trumpeting it to their own population as some kind of revenge, but if its some kind of Russian false flag, its weird that they only started doing it now and that they would make it seem like they can't even defend their capital 500 kilometres away from the Ukrainian border.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

So I'm at best ambivalent towards the attacks on Moscow but its a bit noticeable to me that people like Glen don't ever seem to have any opinion at all about the endless amount of airstrikes carried out by Russians on Ukraine but will say that these attacks that to my knowledge have not actually killed anyone as of now are a dangerous escalation on the way to world war?

The Ukrainians have denied responsibility haven't they? I can't make much sense of the potential positions here, if Ukraine actually is doing it, it would be weird to me that they aren't trumpeting it to their own population as some kind of revenge, but if its some kind of Russian false flag, its weird that they only started doing it now and that they would make it seem like they can't even defend their capital 500 kilometres away from the Ukrainian border.

Glen is such a loving idiot. Is he saying russia is going to start a war with Ukraine?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

khwarezm posted:

It's the decorum argument all over again.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1663602612896161794?s=20

quote:

KYIV, UKRAINE—Gazing wistfully at an old framed photo of the 53-year-old American, Ukrainian officials admitted Tuesday that the country had been in shambles ever since Hunter Biden left. “We don’t want your Abrams tanks or your Javelin missiles or your billions of dollars in aid—we just want Hunter back,” said Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky, who let out a long sigh as he recalled the halcyon days when President Biden’s son served on the board of energy company Burisma, and all in the nation was prosperous, peaceful, and well. “So goes Hunter Biden, so goes Ukraine. Call me crazy, but I’d give up every last drone in the world if it meant we could have that guy back in the country for just a single day. Hunter, if you’re listening, please come back. You were the glue holding us together. And to be honest, you’re doing pretty bad without us too.” At press time, Zelensky was reportedly attempting to entice Hunter Biden to return by holding up a small bag of cocaine.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

Ukraine doesn't want to give the Glen Greenwalds of the world even more ammo. Even sympathetic allies have plenty of administration figures that are leery of endorsing direct Ukrainian strikes on Russian soil, although a lot of those concerns are falling by the wayside since the fear is less that Russia will go nuclear and more that Russia will retaliate by stepping up its terror bombing campaign--which Russia has increasingly shown it will do regardless. So Ukraine plays it coy and maintains the thinnest veneer of plausible deniability.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

As far as I know that is all correct but this:

Isn't quite correct.

There were actually huge issues getting the problems to occur during testing, due to a half assed and faulty testing set up (torpedo passed under a boat instead of hitting it? Well lets assume it destroyed the boat thanks to our super secret magnetic fuse!!), and it took them a while to figure it out. There were failures with that torpedo involving not only its depth sensor and contact fuse but also the magnetic fuse too. There were 1 or 2 instances where they did a test after complaints about the torpedos and it passed the tests and the reports were ignored as a result of that. At least at first anyways. The Bureau of Ordnance also kept being assholes and trying to deny everything and dragged their feet all the time too didn't help any.

Gradually the complaints kept coming in and getting louder and a more involved study was done to try and replicate the problem but they didn't figure out what was wrong and how to solve it until relatively late in the war. I don't think they even figured out that the depth sensor was faulty until pretty late in 1942 for instance. Wiki says they didn't figure it all out until late 1943 apparently.

I mean, this definitely sounds like when you're trying to get a new whatever sort of thing for work, and they 'test' it and insist it's fine and ignoring all reports it's ruining poo poo bc of their one test

basically, even with more detail, this still sound like 'we don't want to spend the money on new missiles, or testing the missiles, unless we're absolutely sure it's the missiles causing issues, and as such we'll assume most complaints are user error unless forced to investigate otherwise' bullshit that happens when orgs choose to save money

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 30, 2023

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

mobby_6kl posted:

Glen is such a loving idiot

He's in the same pack of fools revolving around the Jimmy Dore show, the Gray zone, and RT employees that spread Russian propaganda non stop. Might as well not bring these types up, there's a whole roster of them doubling down on these narratives. Most of them have connections to Russia in one way or another, it's pretty loving pathetic. The gray zone for instance cries about anyone and everyone being part of a "western psy op" when they have no transparency on their own funding and extensive ties to Russia.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663590215288487955
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663603707244601344
More military and monetary aid on the way. :getin:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

khwarezm posted:

Just admit you are a Russian asset fuckwad, christ

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jesus gently caress, the twitter comments.

You'd think that when these people find themselves on the side of Glenn Greenwald, Ian Miles Cheong, and Marjorie Taylor Green, you might step back and have an "Are we the baddies" moment

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Holy

These are their allies lmao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

Just admit you are a Russian asset fuckwad, christ

Someone should make one of these for Greenwald like they did for Galloway, it would suit him a great deal.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is stopping Russia from doing anything they want WOKE now, including to the supposedly most patriotic Americans?

I've lost track of what woke even is and is not anymore.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Toxic Mental posted:

Jesus gently caress, the twitter comments.

You'd think that when these people find themselves on the side of Glenn Greenwald, Ian Miles Cheong, and Marjorie Taylor Green, you might step back and have an "Are we the baddies" moment

nah, they find a way to get even more ossified into it. "Look, even these clearly crazy people can see that I'm right!"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
stopping russia is both woke and also war mongering, at the same time.

the america first conservative doves who don't like spending money on war are the kinds who will call caring about it woke

but your conservative war hawks are loving this situation so, *shrug* ymmv it really depends on if they're obsessed with the MIC or not

tankies will call it war mongering

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

tiaz posted:

nah, they find a way to get even more ossified into it. "Look, even these clearly crazy people can see that I'm right!"

One of the most baffling things I remember from the early stages of the war was "Look at this stuff from Kissinger, even he thinks Russia's demands should be met. You libs love Kissinger, right?" :wtc:

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

"do you disagree with me? then you're a woke leftists nazi!1!"

It's just the safer "cuck" flame, just packaged in a more relevant and hip package.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

khwarezm posted:

It's an interesting position and all, but considering US/NATO missiles didn't do poo poo, some possibly (likely) Ukrainian drones did and the slight difference between the multiple thousands killed on 9/11 versus the 1hr traffic jam and double-glazing bill today, he can cram it up his arse.

EDIT: Even accounting for the Tweet he's quoting, what's that premise based on exactly? Yes. Cruise missles being fired at Moscow would be a bad idea. Who is disagreeing?

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 30, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Killer robot posted:

One of the most baffling things I remember from the early stages of the war was "Look at this stuff from Kissinger, even he thinks Russia's demands should be met. You libs love Kissinger, right?" :wtc:

One of the most popular guys in the western leftist pro-Russia sphere for awhile was/is a legit fascist pedophile sex tourist. This war has made some strange loving bedfellows. Imagine being a staunch socialist and hooting and hollering for a guy who thinks Pinochet didn't go far enough and originally made his bones trying to sell PUA lessons to incels.

Also, remember when Russians with Attitude were a frequently linked source for "real" news about the war before they really went off the deep end?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Deki posted:

Also, remember when Russians with Attitude were a frequently linked source for "real" news about the war before they really went off the deep end?

There's nationalist brain and then there's "Well actually libs I think you'll find that Russia won the Russo-Japanese War :agesilaus:" nationalist brain.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

EDIT: Even accounting for the Tweet he's quoting, what's that premise based on exactly? Yes. Cruise missles being fired at Moscow would be a bad idea. Who is disagreeing?

The post he's quoting specifically is saying Ukraine will deploy cruise missiles against moscow if the special military operation continues long enough, but he also says they'll be Ukrainian cruise missiles

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1663461994127855617

idk both glenn and that guy read like twitter clickbait to me

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Deki posted:

One of the most popular guys in the western leftist pro-Russia sphere for awhile was/is a legit fascist pedophile sex tourist. This war has made some strange loving bedfellows. Imagine being a staunch socialist and hooting and hollering for a guy who thinks Pinochet didn't go far enough and originally made his bones trying to sell PUA lessons to incels.

Is this that Roosh Vi guy?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

could be Graham Philips, Coach Redpill, Scott Ritter, :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Disco Pope posted:

I am :v:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There's nationalist brain and then there's "Well actually libs I think you'll find that Russia won the Russo-Japanese War :agesilaus:" nationalist brain.

I loved that the explanation for why they won was K/D and Japan having unrest over the terms of the war ending.

The unrest that was over Japan not getting *too* good of victory terms because Roosevelt didn't want Russia to be even more completely and utterly embarrassed, of course.

TulliusCicero posted:

nah, Gonzalo. If Roosh supports Russia, I guess put him in the sexpest box with Gonzalo and Scott Ritter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

TulliusCicero posted:

Is stopping Russia from doing anything they want WOKE now, including to the supposedly most patriotic Americans?

Tbf, fighting fascism is as woke as it gets.