Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't necessarily disagree that battle passes suck and getting the ultimate edition will be the best way to go, but I also know I'll want to play this online now instead of in 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I always thought Battle Passes were less about the money and more about the Engagement, which is why you can't just spend extra money to finish the pass. It's kinda funny that a lot of modern video games just plain admit that they are not fun enough that you will make the choice to play them unless you're bribed/coerced with FOMO.

*Not that they don't make money but the hour investment is why they're set up the way they are

V I wanna say there are mobile games where you can't but point taken!

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 30, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mycot posted:

I always thought Battle Passes were less about the money and more about the Engagement, which is why you can't just spend extra money to finish the pass. It's kinda funny that a lot of modern video games just plain admit that they are not fun enough that you will make the choice to play them unless you're bribed/coerced with FOMO.

You can in literally every game with a battle pass that I've seen.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Jack Trades posted:

The reality of being allowed to pay for the privilege to grind.

This is basically where I'm at in terms of ever interacting with the things. I'm never gonna pay just for the ability to grind more, and there's nothing they could do to make it feel worth it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jack Trades posted:

You can in literally every game with a battle pass that I've seen.

It's true but if you map it out it's usually 100+ dollars to do so.

This is a full price game. Scummy.

mycot posted:

They're very stupid for another reason: they all force you to play the game like it's your job. The reality is that almost nobody with an adult lifestyle has time to do more than one BP at a time. They cannibalize each other's player base.

They're cargo cult poo poo that's infected the industry, lazy engagement coercion from mediocrities that saw it work in one game and put it in theirs. They suck.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
well alright

https://twitter.com/infilament/status/1663607567518674945

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do we know if they fixed the variable input delay since the original Beta?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean I’d probably rather pay $15 for a battle pass that unlocks a character and a costume at the end, plus a bunch of Battle Hub stuff along the way, than $5 / $10 straight up. We’ll see how it works though, if it’s all just avatar stuff, colors and titles I’ll just skip it

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am 100% ok with "pay money get character" DLC but BPs are a whole different and terrible level

Paid character DLC, BP or not, is garbage. What I'm 100% ok with is paid cosmetic DLC.

Everything gameplay related has to be in the drat game from the start or patched in later if needed. gently caress paying extra for characters, training mode features, replays, cross-play, etc.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Storm One posted:

Paid character DLC, BP or not, is garbage. What I'm 100% ok with is paid cosmetic DLC.

Everything gameplay related has to be in the drat game from the start or patched in later if needed. gently caress paying extra for characters, training mode features, replays, cross-play, etc.

It wasn’t that long ago when getting new characters and balance updates and features entailed buying a whole new game, and if you didn’t buy the new game you didn’t get the new system level changes, new balance updates, and you couldn’t play online with anyone who upgraded.

Paying for extra characters if you want but still getting the new balance changes and not being excluded from netplay if you choose not to pay is totally the superior option

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Storm One posted:

This has literally never been the case in fighting games since 1992, it's some bizarre standard you just made up and are applying.

It's also just not realistic, it's begging companies to rob Peter (people who like cosmetic/graphical variety) to pay Paul ("gameplay" stuff, which is a made up distinction anyway).

Battle Passes are about ten years old and started in F2P poo poo so them jumping to fully paid games, much less fighting games, is a new and garbage paradigm.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My brain always go back to the fact that I paid $80 for SF2T and then again for SSF2 on SNES to get new characters, stages, and gameplay.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Dave posted:

My brain always go back to the fact that I paid $80 for SF2T and then again for SSF2 on SNES to get new characters, stages, and gameplay.

MvC3 and then MvC3 Ultimate less than a year later. It really should've been a Monster Hunter style big rear end DLC because drat did it drop the player count into the gutter.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Me, a fool, buying the new Blazblue knowing they're going to release an Extend in a year with two more characters.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

The Dave posted:

you got more graphics because of the cps-2 chip though

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

It wasn’t that long ago when getting new characters and balance updates and features entailed buying a whole new game, and if you didn’t buy the new game you didn’t get the new system level changes, new balance updates, and you couldn’t play online with anyone who upgraded.

Sure, buying a whole new version would be preferable for all of those except the balance updates that should definitely be added with patches to the existing version, and perhaps a few new moves or such.

Gating characters behind extra payments is lovely, if they need more money to continue supporting the game and developing the next version get it from cosmetics.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This has literally never been the case in fighting games since 1992, it's some bizarre standard you just made up and are applying.

Huh, it was the case for any console videogame up until the PS2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mycot posted:

Me, a fool, buying the new Blazblue knowing they're going to release an Extend in a year with two more characters.

Wasn't CS extend only Relius?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

MvC3 and then MvC3 Ultimate less than a year later. It really should've been a Monster Hunter style big rear end DLC because drat did it drop the player count into the gutter.

I was fine with it because it was just the start of a bunch of new DLC characters!

....which never happened. :(

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

This is a good read, lots of nitty gritty including:

quote:

Zangief also has the highest health in the game at 11000 (Marisa and Honda have 10500, everyone else has 10000).

Low health Akuma still possible

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
non ryu pickers seething

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Storm One posted:

Sure, buying a whole new version would be preferable for all of those except the balance updates that should definitely be added with patches to the existing version, and perhaps a few new moves or such.

Gating characters behind extra payments is lovely, if they need more money to continue supporting the game and developing the next version get it from cosmetics.

Buying a whole new version of the game is gating characters behind extra payments, except it’s also gating a lot more than just characters behind extra payments

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

tbh I don't really have any problems with having battle passes in exchange for way longer support of the game. I do hope they use the model where you can buy a battlepass at anytime and unlock stuff, rather than the "rotates every couple months locking everything behind it" that games have done in the past. I think those are a lot more fair to newer players/people that don't have time all the time to play

DLC characters are fine and usually buying the DLC pack is the same or (in some cases significantly) cheaper than buying a new revision would have been in the past. What I really wish would change is locking characters in training mode. Just lemme pick a character in training mode even if I can't play them to practice! It's not a huge deal for me to buy the DLC characters or whatever, but I really feel like I shouldn't be forced to do that if all I want to do is figure out how some setup works

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

We're way past the point where DLC characters are the biggest issue to focus on.

Although fighting games should loving let everyone lab DLC characters for free, because having to pay to lab against a character you don't want to play is trash.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

iirc UMV3 was built on a hope and a prayer in like 9 months because Marvel only gave them a year’s license and the Tohoku earthquake happened

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Small thing I noticed with the pre-load on PS5 that might help other PS5 players: When I set the game to auto-download it also defaulted to trying to download the world tour and battle ground content for the PS4 version alongside the PS5, so maybe check to see if yours is doing the same thing too to save on storage space.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

What I wish more games did was let you roll back to previous versions. Even if they don’t let older versions play online at all, having access to previous builds from when the game played different would be great.

an example I like to use is everybody liked SF2 Turbo a lot more than Super, and it would be lame if everyone’s copies of Turbo transformed into Super without any way to go back

On consoles you can install the disc and just not let it patch up, but not every build of a game will have gotten physical printings.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

We're way past the point where DLC characters are the biggest issue to focus on.

Although fighting games should loving let everyone lab DLC characters for free, because having to pay to lab against a character you don't want to play is trash.

yeah this is definitely the only issue for me. I'm totally cool with DLC characters and stuff in exchange for never needing to buy anything extra to keep playing the game versus everyone else

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

old model vs. new model is basically just how much value do you put on the original package vs. "a service" and potential extended support
if you look at it from a "per dollar to content" value then the 360 era stuff with ssf4/usf4 and mvc3->umvc3 are easily way, way bigger deals than any season pass of dlc from just like, the raw number of stages and characters

but to even have your feet in the game you have to buy the whole thing, so you gotta be interested in checking out all of that stuff or else the value drops like a rock because if you just wanna play ryu then you aint gonna pay for poo poo

like, umvc3 cost 40 dollars, came with 12 characters and 9 stages and buying the same for any modern game is going to be like 60+ dollars at least, assuming the stages were free lol
add the stages it's breaking the 100 dollar range for the 'same package'

there's a bunch of perception out there on how much of a scam fgs look like from a casual view because you get like "hey buy the game for 40 and then also buy 200 dollars worth of DLC" kinda poo poo until a package that is similar to the old style of updates comes out

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm actually a bit mixed on having games continuously update while changing core aspects of them. While they usually get changed for the better, it's a bit uncomfortable that the previous version of the game just straight up doesn't exist anymore. I realize people think SFV has changed for the better, but stuff like V-shift only being added in the last year of the game feel like you're playing an inherently different game then what was originally released.

I've seen a couple games allow you to change the version of the characters you use, I think that's the most graceful way to keep that stuff alive. I wish that was more of a thing.

Anyway my point is the SF6 we're buying right now might well end up being very different years from now, and I'd like to be able to hold onto the original.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
honestly i just think season passes or equivalent end up being content gates, and fighting games struggle with this a lot in particular where you need to pay more to get back into it

monster hunter somehow doesn't have paid dlc beyond expansion-scale stuff, which sounds better than a drip feed of new paid characters

the custom character system also isn't compelling enough for people to want to pay for microtransactions for them, maybe that was a business model concept that fell through

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Jack Trades posted:

If we have any Capcom spies, just letting you know that allowing dlc character tryouts in training mode would be more than enough to completely counter any battle pass or paid costume bitching I might consider doing in the future.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

chipotle codes will only work on consoles, not on the pc version for some reason?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I also gotta say, the bigger issue when it comes to battle passes, at least for me personally, is that it's exhausting to interact with them.
Those kinds of games constantly bombard you with dailies this, xp that. Trying to just play a few matches results in you having to mentally guard yourself against the game trying to psychologically manipulate you constantly.

Maybe it's a neuroatypical thing, I don't know, but it gets really tiring.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Momomo posted:

I'm actually a bit mixed on having games continuously update while changing core aspects of them. While they usually get changed for the better, it's a bit uncomfortable that the previous version of the game just straight up doesn't exist anymore. I realize people think SFV has changed for the better, but stuff like V-shift only being added in the last year of the game feel like you're playing an inherently different game then what was originally released.

I've seen a couple games allow you to change the version of the characters you use, I think that's the most graceful way to keep that stuff alive. I wish that was more of a thing.

Anyway my point is the SF6 we're buying right now might well end up being very different years from now, and I'd like to be able to hold onto the original.

Bring back grooves, but for different seasons of your fighting game imo

Let me select Vanilla Ryu vs SFVCE Laura or whatever

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

chipotle codes will only work on consoles, not on the pc version for some reason?

Redbull all over again.

Why do we let capcom get away with this!?!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

It's also a better, softer sell. I've never gotten a full pack of characters unless it's quite far into the life cycle of a game and they go on deep discount. I'd be far more likely to pick up characters if I got some hands on time

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Buying a whole new version of the game is gating characters behind extra payments, except it’s also gating a lot more than just characters behind extra payments

OK with this as long as the "more than just characters" is substantial enough. If not then I'm with you, that's just a BP with the added "bonus" of fragmenting the player base.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

I also gotta say, the bigger issue when it comes to battle passes, at least for me personally, is that it's exhausting to interact with them.
Those kinds of games constantly bombard you with dailies this, xp that. Trying to just play a few matches results in you having to mentally guard yourself against the game trying to psychologically manipulate you constantly.

Neurotypicalness has little to do with it. There's a segment of players who says "do X for Y? WOW!" and does it. Usually kids.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, I play a couple games with Battle Passes. Star Wars - The Old Republic is an easy one, there's some objectives each week and it takes about 2 hours of regular playing to get them all done. Dead By Daylight, on the other hand, is a full time job if you want to actually get everything on their pass (Rift, as it's called).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I imagine it's basically the same mindset of gachas, where their business model is based on trying to get a small number of specific people invested enough to spend ludicrous amounts of money for the simplest things. It's definitely the type of design that preys on more vulnerable people that can't resist fomo.

Thankfully it has the opposite effect for me most of the time. If something is only around for a limited time, it's probably not that important, so it doesn't matter that much if I don't have it.