Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

I think it’s a weapon created to drive mecha fans insane.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's like one of those AI images where everything looks like something while being nothing.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Let me preface this by saying that if there's a similar question with answers somewhere else in the thread, point me to it and I'll gratefully be on my way.

I haven't watched a Gundam since Endless Waltz (Wing was my first series, but I went back and filled in a bunch later). Which series that released after that are worth their weight in precious time between now and the grave? I'm all in on military space opera (Legend of Galactic Heroes was another favorite), if that makes a difference.

Follow up question: what's the best way to stream them?

I was inspired by a recent trip to The Gundam Base in Tokyo to pick up a newer series or two.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

00 and G-Reco are the best to be released post Wing. Turn A is good as well, but you need to view UC for context. The Tominian UC saga is the most Space Opera the franchise ever got though, the OVA's and AU's are usually too small in scope to compare.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'd say 00, Turn A, Witch from Mercury, Iron-blooded Orphans are all solid to great. Unicorn is very, very pretty and the plot is serviceable. Most of them are on Crunchyroll and all of them are very divisive, like almost all Gundam shows :v:

I have a very soft spot for Gundam Build Fighters but that's a very light-hearted and fun toy commercial masquerading as a shonen anime, even more so than the rest of the franchise

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you watched the gundam series predating wing like the original and zeta then id recommend turn a

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

Let me preface this by saying that if there's a similar question with answers somewhere else in the thread, point me to it and I'll gratefully be on my way.

I haven't watched a Gundam since Endless Waltz (Wing was my first series, but I went back and filled in a bunch later). Which series that released after that are worth their weight in precious time between now and the grave? I'm all in on military space opera (Legend of Galactic Heroes was another favorite), if that makes a difference.

I was inspired by a recent trip to The Gundam Base in Tokyo to pick up a newer series or two.

Well, full on Space Opera is uncommon in later Gundam, as said, and a lot depends on your taste. That said, just going with what I've seen in full that worked for me released after Waltz, I'd say, in order...

Turn A is definitely worth watching. It's Tomino making an ending for Gundam (that he kind of went back on with G-Reco much later, but that's a side thing.). Lush Ghibli hills, pseudo 1910s technology for the Earthlings, and a serious focus on diplomacy and attempts to prevent the war from escalating, rather than the mech fights. It's a change of pace from most of the shows, and very well done, with characters all acting according to their personal agendas to build a complicated but comprehensible narrative.

Stargazer is less than an hour, but it's the best part of SEED. Multiple viewpoints, great ending, decent fights. It's not going to set the world on fire, but it's worth the little time it takes.

Unicorn starts and ends a bit weak, but the middle is exceptional. The animation is great throughout, the supporting cast is dynamic, dialogue really builds up the Federation and Zeon as living, breathing nations, and some of the fights are among the coolest Gundam ever had. The protagonist is frustrating, though, because he never quite breaks through and becomes as interesting as he could be, leaving him kind of bland throughout. Still, well worth a watch.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin isn't as good as the manga, but it's still worth a watch, especially if you don't mind Char being the coolest guy for the whole runtime. Gets a little too "everyone knew everyone" at times, but the overall story is fun and the CG fights aren't bad.

Iron Blooded Orphans: I'll admit, I'm hotter on this one than some in this forum, but it really works for me. The aesthetics are gritty, the politics are fleshed out, and the protagonist is a different spin on the Heero Yui emotionally numb child soldier bit, with his emptiness and his reflexive tendency towards violence playing more in focus than guilt or desire for redemption like you see from Heero. Ending didn't work for some people, but I felt like it was pretty fitting.

Thunderbolt: Short again (about an hour a season) and flawed, but dang pretty. The handling of the female characters in season 1 was exceptionally bad, and the ending felt like it half-assed its nihilism to get a sequel, but at least the fights are fun to watch.

Build Divers: Re:Rise is an oddball of a Gundam show, but it executes well and the cast grows naturally over the course of the series. Felt a bit slower paced than ideal, but it ends well, and the battlogue is a good conclusion.

Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway: It's a spy thriller set in the UC. Really good stuff, but it's only a third of the story, so the wait might get rough.

Gundam Breaker Battlogue: Might only be me that recommends this, but it's short, the fights are fun, and it tied into a mobile game that was fun for me while it lasted and a PS4 game people recommend. Plus, the villain is amusingly pathetic.

Doan's Island: Amuro and the gang back in theaters again. It's a good adaptation of a flawed episode, fleshing it out and making it shine.

So, it's a start, anyway. More detail on what you like might help narrow things down, or make me recommend something that worked less for me, but that would hit better for you, but for now, I hope that helps.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's kinda odd that the Opera genre got applied to these incredibly wide scoped sweeping epics when every Opera I've ever seen has been pretty lowkey. Only Wagner seemed to have really been going for it, the term Space Epic makes a lot more sense to me.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Hot take: I thought the Origin sucked since it told you the plot with an occasional fight here and there to break the pacing. The 3D models for the mechs at the beginning were rough and did eventually get better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought that the opening scene of Loum was actually pretty excellent for getting across how terrifying mobile suits are compared to battleships. The Loum scenes in the final Origin movie might technically have better CGI but all of the ferocity and energy of that opening battle sequence is gone. Episode 1 Loum is shock and awe. Episode 7 Loum is a protracted turkey shoot in slow motion and little in the way of creative choreography.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

thunderbolt: december sky is my favorite and definitely the most bang for your buck in time spent/enjoyment gained (assuming you enjoy watching characters experience extreme trauma). would not recommend it on the basis of "fun fights" as the fights are mostly intentionally unpleasant and shocking (i say this with the utmost praise for it doing this) (there is a fun fight in there). bandit flower (season 2) is cool but it's part 1 of a larger story that we're unlikely to see further anime adaptation of, so i don't know if i'd recommend it. december sky is a very self contained story though and the only UC context you need is looking up the original mobile suit gundam opening narration on youtube.

if you liked wing, g gundam is going to be the closest in tone (g gundam manages to be even more over the top and silly). it's a fun watch.

i can't believe no one has said war in the pocket yet, that's thunderbolt's only competition for time spent/enjoyment gained and often people's favorite show in the franchise (sophie's choice between war in the pocket and turn a). it's not very actiony though, it follows a kid on a neutral space colony whose life is changed by the encroachment of war. think more "steven spielberg boys adventure movie but dark", like if ET was about how war affects civilian populations.

war in the pocket, thunderbolt, and g gundam are basically the extremes of the different tonal directions the franchise goes in, so you can always watch those and then come back with what you liked for more specific recommendations (gundam is a huge franchise). war in the pocket and thunderbolt are also decent primers on the UC setting, though they don't do the heavylifting you'd need to have the context of later UC works.

otherwise iron blooded orphans and the currently airing witch from mercury are both very good.

there's some great UC works like unicorn and hathaway. people have told me that you can jump right into unicorn having seen nothing in the franchise previous and it's perfectly good. i don't really understand that watchiing unicorn myself but worth mentioning. if you want to get invested in UC shows you'll need to watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam (the compilation movies are less enjoyable but perfectly serviceable, and much much faster to get through), zeta gundam, and char's counterattack. zeta gundam i can't honestly recommend unless you're pretty invested in the franchise/are looking to get invested, show's rough (but has a lot of good moments and is the origin of a lot of "gundam tropes")

turn a is pretty good. i don't think you need much UC context but a little UC context is very helpful (thunderbolt/war in the pocket is probably plenty enough). definitely works better if you have a few other gundam shows under your belt, but they don't necessarily have to be UC.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 30, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

where to stream is a question that will change drastically depending on the specific show/movie so can't help you there, other than crunchyroll and netflix both have a sizable chunk of the franchise. if you want to know where a specific show can be streamed we can probably be more helpful.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

It's kinda odd that the Opera genre got applied to these incredibly wide scoped sweeping epics when every Opera I've ever seen has been pretty lowkey. Only Wagner seemed to have really been going for it, the term Space Epic makes a lot more sense to me.

Space Opera as a term was originally coined as comparison to Soap Operas.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bmac32 posted:

Space Opera as a term was originally coined as comparison to Soap Operas.

this is crucial knowledge i've been missing all my life, thank you [genuine]

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I didn't mention War in the Pocket since it's pre wing, but yes. It's very good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The music for 0080 is probably the weakest part of it but it does have a good eyecatch jingle and the ED music is pretty beautiful alongside the imagery.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Even though the OP and ED aren’t usually what I pop for, I think they fit 0080 very well. And that eyecatch jingle is great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The OP and ED for war in the pocket are very deliberate. The OP is evocative of an afternoon special TV programming intro to put you in the mindset of Al, and the ED is really melancholic yet comforting to let you reflect on what you've seen.

It's the moment to moment music in the episodes themselves that feels kinda lazy and doesn't do much for me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like the 80s action synth

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Worked better for 0083, IMO. And then Kohei Tanaka made that killer orchestra soundtrack for 08th MS Team.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a forgettable score at best

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
0080’s score is very late 80s synth at times and I can’t help but love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzkWIz900F4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
See I'm split on synth. There's some Vangelis scores that I adore and other Vangelis scores where I ask what the hell he's thinking. Applies to synth in general, really.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks, all! Turn A seems up my alley, and I did watch the original series. That spy thriller one sounds pretty cool too. Beyond that, I like the suit designs for Unicorn and The Witch From Mercury, though the second of those appears to focus on organized duels, and I'm not a fan of Shonen Jump style tournament arcs (G Gundam doesn't appeal to me for that reason).

As for personal preferences, I love character driven storytelling. People being stupid for plot reasons is a big turn off. That all seems pretty obvious though. I can get into pretty much any kind of music as long as it doesn't seem lazily done, if that makes sense. I don't know, I know what I like when I see it.

I'll have to see what's on Netflix US once I get back home. It didn't occur to me that they might have a decent Gundam catalog. Thanks for that tip.

PS - A big :v: part of what renewed my interest in Gundam was the life size statue outside The Gundam Base:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The duels in witch from mercury kinda unfurl from being the shounen-esque deal you're thinking of. I don't wanna give any spoilers but it's really not a "tournament arc" kind of show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Netflix US doesn't have a whole lot honestly. They have the original series compilation movies, Hathaway, and I think they used to have but lost Unicorn

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They still have Iron Blooded Orphans in Canada at least.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Makes sense. It's the only japanese work in history to acknowledge the country.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh right they have IBO in US too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

Makes sense. It's the only japanese work in history to acknowledge the country.

second

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, if we're being picky, there's a surprising amount of Canadians in anime and manga. There's a half-Canadian in a Shonen Jump series right now.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Hell Amuro is Canadian even if they don't say it outside of the novels.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

Hell Amuro is Canadian even if they don't say it outside of the novels.

If memory serves he's from the northwest US in the TV show, Canada in the movies, and Mexico in The Origin manga.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Wikipedia says born in Prince Rupert, BC.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Netflix US doesn't have a whole lot honestly. They have the original series compilation movies, Hathaway, and I think they used to have but lost Unicorn

in addition to ibo they also have cca

i thought they had more but seems they don't. that being said i also meant to say hulu, which has 08th, wing, unicorn, 00, origin, and ibo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

crunchyroll has both versions of origin which is kind of funny

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish Disney would out their Hulu stuff on Disney Plus in Canada.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD50VGazu8U

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Here in glorious Nippon, Disney+ and Netflix both have Witch From Mercury, but only in Japanese. I downloaded Hathaway to watch on the flight though.

Guess I'll grab the first season of 00 as well. It's a long flight after all.

Edit: Never mind. That one's Japanese only too. My 日本語 is good enough to struggle through a conversation with a patient native speaker, but not to follow a TV show not for small children.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Friend of mine is at an anime convention in Toronto today and sent me a picture of a papercraft mobile suit. I'm having a hard time identifying it though. I think it's an IBO design but I'm not certain.

Frankenmech. Other people commented muv-luv and certain parts of the legs (the knees) seem to match up well, along with those weird panels behind the hips.

The head is some zaku derivative, while the midsection is definitely IBO with the dual piston look.

Edit: link isn't embedding for some reason so click through if you dare.

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 31, 2023