Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

ijyt posted:

In hindsight, not having had the funds to build my partner a new PC earlier in the year seems to have saved me a lot of headaches.

Seems opting entirely out of the latest gen and sticking with an X570 build is working out more and more for me. Here's hoping it tides me over for the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alzion posted:

Their system is AM4. 5800X3D will be the final CPU they use with that motherboard and RAM if they choose to upgrade. AM5 is not backwards compatible.
I wasn't saying they could upgrade - I'm saying that anyone who has or will be picking up a AM5+Zen4 X3D system (used/when the price falls/already bought it) can upgrade to Zen5 X3D at a later point.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I wasn't saying they could upgrade - I'm saying that anyone who has or will be picking up a AM5+Zen4 X3D system (used/when the price falls/already bought it) can upgrade to Zen5 X3D at a later point.

I get that, but it could still require a new mobo if AMD successfully resists pressure to allow newer CPUs on older boards like what happened with AM4.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Nah Zen5 is probably coming late this year or early next. It'll be on AM5.

AM5 will stick around until at least 2025, the AMD CEO publicly stated this a few times, so its got at least another year and a half in it.

I wouldn't count on it to last much past 2025 though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Yeah, I don't think AMD is in a position to mess with compatibility right now. Zen5 is a safe bet, the generation after that is a maybe.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I wouldn't count on it to last much past 2025 though.

How so?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the attempt at am4 cooler compatiblity might have caused some heat dispersal problems that weren't there on the PGA AM4 package (which had the silicon have a closer z-height to surface than AM5 packages)

the consumer-correct thing to do however is to live with it and the engineering implications that follow until (e: maybe after) zen 6

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 30, 2023

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
IMO if you're running one of the 16 core parts just delid and direct die that bitch. In for a penny, in for a pound at that price point.

Enjoy the 15c reduction across the board for theoretically better lifespan and higher boosts all around why not.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

They've only guaranteed support through 2025, and 2026 is coincidentally when they're changing over from AGESA to OpenSIL for their system firmware. So the educated guess is AM6 in 2026.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Aloha,

I know nothing about AMD CPUs, having always used Intel. However, I can no longer justify the poor price:performance ratio of Team Blue, so I'd like to explore AMDs offerings.

I'm currently running the following build:

quote:

Intel Core i5-6600K

Noctua NH-D15S

Geforce RTX 3080

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (4x16GB)

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe Series 1TB

Corsair HX850i 850W

Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow Tempered Glass Smart Case

So, I'm gonna need a new motherboard obviously.

What would be a good tier of CPU to look at? Intel's chips are easier to parse at a glance since the numbers just go up, and "k" is for overclocking, but when I look up AMD chips, sometimes ones with higher numbers are less expensive?

Maybe I'm dumb, but advice would be appreciated.

I'm able to save up for whatever I choose, but I'd prefer a good price if possible - obviously anything will be a noticeable upgrade.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Annath posted:

Aloha,

I know nothing about AMD CPUs, having always used Intel. However, I can no longer justify the poor price:performance ratio of Team Blue, so I'd like to explore AMDs offerings.

I'm currently running the following build:

So, I'm gonna need a new motherboard obviously.

What would be a good tier of CPU to look at? Intel's chips are easier to parse at a glance since the numbers just go up, and "k" is for overclocking, but when I look up AMD chips, sometimes ones with higher numbers are less expensive?

Maybe I'm dumb, but advice would be appreciated.

I'm able to save up for whatever I choose, but I'd prefer a good price if possible - obviously anything will be a noticeable upgrade.

Are you only gaming? Or are you doing something that would benefit from a bunch more cores & threads?

Budget (pair up with 3200mhz ram):
Gaming - 5600, 5600x, 5700x, 5800, or 5800x3d
Multicore - 5950x

Not-So-Budget (pair up with 6000mhz ram):
Gaming - 7600, 7700, 7800x3d
Multicore - 7950x
Mixed Purpose - 7950x3d

Regardless of which you pick, 2 sticks of ram is more stable than 4. Use dual rank memory if getting 2 sticks and single rank if 4.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 30, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Kibner posted:

Are you only gaming? Or are you doing something that would benefit from a bunch more cores & threads?

Budget (pair up with 3200mhz ram):
Gaming - 5600, 5600x, 5700x, 5800, or 5800x3d
Multicore - 5950x

Not-So-Budget (pair up with 6000mhz ram):
Gaming - 7600, 7700, 7800x3d
Multicore - 7950x
Mixed Purpose - 7950x3d

Regardless of which you pick, 2 sticks of ram is more stable than 4. Use dual rank memory if getting 2 sticks and single rank if 4.

Gaming, no video trancoding or anything beyond streaming a Plex server to external devices.

Re: RAM - I already *have* the 64GB 3200 RAM, so swapping that out is a lower priority. I'll keep it in mind though.

Would the higher end CPU be terribly gimped by the 3200 RAM?

(also, I got 4 sticks for maximum RGB, but apparently they sell dummy sticks for exactly this purpose lmao).

E: I guess I will need to replace the ram anyway, since it's ddr4 and the mb uses ddr5...

Annath fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 30, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the attempt at am4 cooler compatiblity might have caused some heat dispersal problems that weren't there on the PGA AM4 package (which had the silicon have a closer z-height to surface than AM5 packages)

the consumer-correct thing to do however is to live with it and the engineering implications that follow until (e: maybe after) zen 6
For all I care, with Zen 5 they can go "gently caress you, get a new cooler" and I'd happily oblige.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Combat Pretzel posted:

For all I care, with Zen 5 they can go "gently caress you, get a new cooler".

As long as Noctua can send me a new bracket, idgaf

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Annath posted:

basic AMD nomenclature:

"Ryzen 5 7600"

the "5" is the equivalent to the i5 in Intel products, so a Ryzen 9 is supposed to compete against an i9, and a Ryzen 3 is supposed to compete with an i3
the "7000" refers to the architectural generation, similar to how an Intel i5-9400 is of a later generation than than Intel i5-6600, where 9000 > 6000
the "600" is basically the specific model number within that generation and within that product class
there is no equivalent to "K" for AMD CPUs, since all of them are unlocked and overclockable
sometimes AMD will add an "X" to the end of a model number, to denote that it's marginally faster than the [non-X] part; so a Ryzen 5 5600X is slightly faster than a Ryzen 5 5600

___

if you're only gaming, the basic pick would be an AM4 motherboard (and DDR4 RAM) with a Ryzen 5 5600 (~130 USD)

the next step up would be a Ryzen 7 5800X3D (~290 USD), which would be the fastest possible gaming CPU for that platform

staying within the AM4 platform would let you keep using your RAM

___

a more current platform, AM5 with DDR5 RAM, would target a Ryzen 5 7600X (~240 USD) as its basic pick

and the best-for-gaming CPU up from that would be a Ryzen 7 7800X3D (~430 USD)

___

if you're a "content creator" and want more cores, then the Ryzen 9 5950X for the AM4 platform, or the Ryzen 9 7950X for the AM5 platform, would have the maximum number of cores for those sockets

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Annath posted:

Gaming, no video trancoding or anything beyond streaming a Plex server to external devices.

Re: RAM - I already *have* the 64GB 3200 RAM, so swapping that out is a lower priority. I'll keep it in mind though.

Would the higher end CPU be terribly gimped by the 3200 RAM?

(also, I got 4 sticks for maximum RGB, but apparently they sell dummy sticks for exactly this purpose lmao).

E: I guess I will need to replace the ram anyway, since it's ddr4 and the mb uses ddr5...

If you get an AM4 motherboard and a 5800X3D that’s probably your most cost effective choice as it would allow you to reuse your RAM.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Annath posted:

, but when I look up AMD chips, sometimes ones with higher numbers are less expensive?
AMD numbers go up too. First digit is the generation, second & third are model/tier (higher numbers = more cores) and a trailing 0 and an X.

7900X current gen 12 core
7700X current gen 8 core
5900X previous gen 12 core

The complications are: some have extra stacked cache, denoted by a 3D suffix, which costs more, and a few CPUs come in lower frequency versions and don't have the X. The ones with semi-decent integrated graphics have a G suffix.

Except laptop CPUs. They're all hosed up due to release schedules and OEMs wanting biggers numbers to bamboozle customers, so they bare limited correlation to anything.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 30, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you get an AM4 motherboard and a 5800X3D that’s probably your most cost effective choice as it would allow you to reuse your RAM.

Awesome, looks like I can get that CPU for around $289.

PCPartPicker shows an ASUS Prime B450M-A as a fairly affordable, compatible, board.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Annath posted:

Awesome, looks like I can get that CPU for around $289.

PCPartPicker shows an ASUS Prime B450M-A as a fairly affordable, compatible, board.

I would try and get at least a B550 or X570 for the pcie4 but I haven’t looked at prices lately.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

hobbesmaster posted:

I would try and get at least a B550 or X570 for the pcie4 but I haven’t looked at prices lately.

I found a bundle with a B550, so that should work quite well.

I should be able to afford it in the next month or two, depending on other expenses.

I'd be able to get it now, except I had to spend $1000 on car repairs in the last 2 months :saddowns:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slight correction: the chipset link for B550 is v3. So the typical x570 board will have 2 pcie4 nvme and b550 will be all v3.

PCIEv4 nvme drives are relatively inexpensive now - v3 is 4GB/s vs v4 is up to 8GB/s. That’d be the only reason to consider an x570.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 30, 2023

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You still get a single NVMe 4.0 slot off the CPU with B550.

Not that the performance difference is going to matter in the slightest for games.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

You still get a single NVMe 4.0 slot off the CPU with B550.

Not that the performance difference is going to matter in the slightest for games.

I would’ve agreed but with all the dumb stuff we’re seeing from console ports lately being able to match the ps5 spec for spec should be a consideration.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Only downside is that the X570 board isn't available in a bundle, and increases the cost by almost 50%

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bundles may change in a month or two, it’s just something to keep in mind if you see something that makes sense.

edit: wow just looking at microcenter the difference between b550 and x570 is like $100. When I picked an x570 board the difference was like $30.

Absolutely get b550 instead of b450 though.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 30, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I wouldn’t bother with a more expensive X570 board unless you have a specific use case that only an X570 board will meet, like needing 3 max speed m.2 SSDs or a trillion USB. B550 offers all of the same CPU performance and nearly all the same features at a lower price and with a lower power draw.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Cygni posted:

I wouldn’t bother with a more expensive X570 board unless you have a specific use case that only an X570 board will meet, like needing 3 max speed m.2 SSDs or a trillion USB. B550 offers all of the same CPU performance and nearly all the same features at a lower price and with a lower power draw.

Good to know. I only have 1 m.2 drive. I might get 1 more, but it's a low priority.

I have a regular SSD boot drive, an m.2 for games that can benefit from the faster load times, and assorted internal and external HDDs for less loading-bottlenecked games as well as media files.

Honestly once I have the cash, the biggest hurdle is going to be assembling it lol. My buddy who usually assists (read: makes sure I didn't gently caress something up) took a summer job out of state, so I'll be on my own.

I haven't swapped a motherboard/CPU in years, so it'll be, uh, exciting.

Do AMD chips still do the whole "pins on the chip, holes on the socket" thing? That always intimidated me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AM4 has the pins on the CPU, with socket having holes

AM5 has the pins on the socket, like how Intel has always done it

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Always? :suicide:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

hobbesmaster posted:

I would’ve agreed but with all the dumb stuff we’re seeing from console ports lately being able to match the ps5 spec for spec should be a consideration.

You still get a 4.0 NVMe slot on B550, matching the PS5 spec. Not that it really matters since a pc is not a PS5 and I can think of exactly one game that even has DirectStorage support.

Incidentally, the SSD in the Series X uses 2 lanes of 4.0 and is only rated for ~2.5gb/s reads.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Wibla posted:

Them goddamn P2/3/Pro cartridges.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Slot processors were the greatest formfactor.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

power crystals posted:

Slotket processors were the greatest formfactor.

Fixed that for you!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hobbesmaster posted:

Bad ports are bad ports no matter how good your hardware is.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Lmao so I found an X570+ board plus separate Ryzen 7 5800X3D for literally $1 more than the B550 bundle.

Assuming the prices keep, I'll be able to pick them up hopefully in July.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

AM4 has the pins on the CPU, with socket having holes

AM5 has the pins on the socket, like how Intel has always done it

Wibla posted:

For values of always >= 2005, I guess? I started to say PGAs had a much longer run than LGA has so far, but I realized I don't know when they started doing that instead of the CPU being soldered/a giant DIP chip.

e: Looks like PGA was introduced in 1989 with the 486, so LGA passed it in lifespan (from an Intel desktop chip perspective) a couple years ago.

Core 2 mobile used PGA even after it was discontinued for desktop so really they didn't kill it until 2009.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 30, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Eletriarnation posted:

For values of always >= 2005, I guess? I started to say PGAs had a much longer run than LGA has so far, but I realized I don't know when they started doing that instead of the CPU being soldered/a giant DIP chip.

e: Looks like PGA was introduced in 1989 with the 486, so LGA passed it in lifespan (from an Intel desktop chip perspective) a couple years ago.

Core 2 mobile used PGA even after it was discontinued for desktop so really they didn't kill it until 2009.

The 386 used PGA even before that. The 486 just introduced the modern ZIF socket: for a 386 (or early 486s) you had to shove it down in place then pry it out with a tool. That was a lot more practical back when a CPU had 132 pins.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
It's funny because I was with Intel from the q6600 all the way to the 12900k before finally going with a 7800x3d last month, and in all of this time I have yet to actually remove an LGA CPU from its socket because of intel's "you get two years per socket" thing

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i get owned by LGA sockets regularly, it's all over when a piece of visually identifiable dust gets in there. not to count the three separate times I dropped a corner of a CPU package on the loving pins

the Epyc/TR sled is something that should be standard on all LGA sockets to solve the latter problem. it would also solve uneven mounting pressure issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
eh I have the opposite experience, when I built my 4790k system I got my fingernail hooked on the pins of the mobo and bent like 10 pins which I then bent back with like a pen or a pocket knife, was freaking out but it ended up working fine, I even oc'd the cpu a lot.

Then on my 8700k I got a bunch of thermal paste on the the bottom of the cpu all over the pads and I cleaned it with some iso and swabs but it was never truly clean again but I never had problems with that one either same story with the ocing and in that instance i was glad the chip wasnt pga. all a bit anecdotal though, I also own razer products that havent self destructed, life is chaos.

agree about the bit about using the epyc sled design its really slick