Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

It was on one of those cable channels a couple months ago, I watched it with my dad. The only thing that stuck with me was how committed every person was, no matter how pointless their role seemed, and that it seemed so real.

Yeah, it's a really weird vibe. For a movie where Robin Williams plays a literal cartoon character it's very earnest and low-key. It feels more like performance art than a movie.

Asterite34 posted:

Who had it worse, Raul Julia in Street Fighter or Orson Welles in Transformers: The Movie?

Orson Welles 100%. Raul Julia was doing it for his grandkids and had as much fun with it as a dying man could.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 15:49 on May 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Popeye had some utterly amazing sets, the first time I recall a comic strip/book movie leaning into set decoration to reinforce the oddity and artificiality of the setting. Might have only next followed by Batman.

You can still visit the set in Malta:

https://popeyemalta.com

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

DOOM the movie did nothing wrong.

e: motherfucker!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Popeye movie rules.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

the holy poopacy posted:

Orson Welles 100%. Raul Julia was doing it for his grandkids and had as much fun with it as a dying man could.

There's also quotes out there from when Welles agreed to the job and the famous one from right after he finished it.

He took it because he believed there was huge potential for animation as an art form and wanted to be a part of it. Then he got the script and recorded his lines.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
we're all forgetting Michael Caine and Jaws the Revenge

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

A friend and I watched season 1 of I Love Lucy about a decade ago. As of then it held up pretty drat well. Sitcoms have been what they have been because of that show. Also fun fact, Lucille Ball helped get season one of Star Trek produced. Her providing sound stage space at DesiLu Studios was instrumental in making that happen.

More than that, Star Trek was a Desilu production. After the second pilot was picked up, the board of directors balked at having too many expensive shows and voted to cancel it, but Ball vetoed them. After the first season Desilu was sold to Gulf and Western, who also owned Paramount, and now you know the rest of the story.

(Desilu also owned a lot of assets from the defunct RKO, where Ball had originally worked as a chorus girl.)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Lucille Ball was such a comic genius.

But wow I Love Lucy ages in weird ways. If you remove the slapstick, every episode is Lucy just trying to be independent and do things her own way, thwarted because she's a woman in the 50s.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's also quotes out there from when Welles agreed to the job and the famous one from right after he finished it.

He took it because he believed there was huge potential for animation as an art form and wanted to be a part of it. Then he got the script and recorded his lines.

Hah, I knew of his infamous statements after he did it but never heard that he had actually been looking forward to it at first, I just always assumed it was a matter of the studio throwing enough money at him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

But wow I Love Lucy ages in weird ways. If you remove the slapstick, every episode is Lucy just trying to be independent and do things her own way, thwarted because she's a woman in the 50s.

My understanding is that even if Lucy was thwarted she pushed the boundaries plenty enough to be a win for women’s independence (and other things like sharing a bed with your husband).

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

credburn posted:

That aspect at least aged better than the roofie episode

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

the holy poopacy posted:

Hah, I knew of his infamous statements after he did it but never heard that he had actually been looking forward to it at first, I just always assumed it was a matter of the studio throwing enough money at him.

It kind of reminds me of Haley Joel Osment when he talks about his role in Kingdom Hearts 2 and he says something like when he walked into the room and saw the director with a huge corkboard trying to figure out the confusing plot, that was when he realised that videogames were truly art.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Lucille Ball was a treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvN3_qCgulk

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I like the one where Lucy is trying to do a commercial and gets I think maybe drunk off the drink? I'm not sure because I don't remember it being an alcohol but she got hosed up.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I like the one where Lucy is trying to do a commercial and gets I think maybe drunk off the drink? I'm not sure because I don't remember it being an alcohol but she got hosed up.

It was a 'health elixir' which were usually just drugs and/or alcohol back in the day anyway

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol sure make Arnold's character Italian good plan

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Also happened to Orson Welles for real.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
On Star Trek: DS9 the Cardassian drink, Kanar?, was just corn syrup. It hosed up at least one of the actors I think?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also happened to Orson Welles for real.

He was stone sober when he said he’d go down on that audio booth guy, though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

That aspect at least aged better than the roofie episode

you talking about the one where lucy thinks ricky is planning on killing her and getting remarried?

hallo spacedog posted:

It was a 'health elixir' which were usually just drugs and/or alcohol back in the day anyway

it was made up of 28% alcohol lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

On Star Trek: DS9 the Cardassian drink, Kanar?, was just corn syrup. It hosed up at least one of the actors I think?

on gilmore girls, alexis bledel got health issues from all the diet coke she drank in place of the coffee her character was addicted to

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I think what aged best from the Popeye movie was Paul Thomas Anderson reusing the best song in it (IMO) as a recurring motif for Punch-Drunk Love

The Popeye OST itself was done by Harry Nilsson too, which if I'm being honest is the only reason I checked it out lol. I don't think it's a great example of his work though besides that one track

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

For some stupid reason, I remember basically nothing about the Popeye movie except Olive Oyl singing her first song:

"He may noooooot be a lot..."
"That's true."
"But he's LAAARGE. And he's MINE."
"She can have him."

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Jedit posted:

I do - it introduced Kristanna Loken from Terminator 3 and co-starred the much underrated Daniel Bernhardt (best known to most as "the agent from The Matrix who isn't Hugo Weaving"). They did try, but it was a show with a negative budget and there's only so much you can do.

Jeffrey Meek also did a good Raiden and the best Shao Kahn. It's the only time Kahn showed some dangerous intelligence instead of just punching really hard. However, in addition to budget, Conquest was also held back by constantly being PG-13 horny and that two of the three leads couldn't fight.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

you talking about the one where lucy thinks ricky is planning on killing her and getting remarried?

Yeah, and to get her to calm down Fred hands Ricky a roofie from his personal "Ethel's nagging me again" stash to slip in her drink when she's not looking

The gently caress, Fred :stare:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I Love Lucy was a product of it's time and REALLY hosed up from a modern perspective. See also: Laverne & Shirley

They are good shows that went on to be highly influential but some of is it just ooooof

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Dick Van Dyke show holds up. It's funny and not mean and mostly not fulla weird repressed sex poo poo

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't know... did you SEE Mary Tyler Moore in those pants?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The separate beds adds to the underlying sexual tension in every scene.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They hired the creators of Max Headroom to direct it, there's no way it wasn't going to end up weird, creative and unique :v:

Oh...ohhhhhhh. Suddenly everything makes so much more sense.

Not that I didn't already love that movie.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's a lot of poo poo that devolves into the "gotta keep women in their place" thing. I was going through Malcolm in the Middle about a year ago, a series which generally holds up quite well, but there's one episode which involves Lois getting in a car accident and maintaining that she looked where she was going, it wasn't her fault. A surveillance tape shows her pulling out in front of a guy and getting hit, and it's a huge blow to her self-confidence.

The conclusion of the episode is the reveal of another surveillance tape that shows the guy she got hit by pulled an illegal U-turn into her lane, and the response by this from her family is to immediately destroy the tape because sometimes Lois is too self-righteous for her own good and could stand to be taken down a peg. It's absolutely played as a comedy bit and not horrific gaslighting.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Desert Bus posted:

Dick Van Dyke show holds up. It's funny and not mean and mostly not fulla weird repressed sex poo poo

The thing to remember is that the DVD (lol)show was made in the middle of a conservative era in America when a man could own a house and support a family on 40 hours a week with a high school education. Then liberalism crept in and now just look at the state of our country. Just look at it!

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
[I've been rewatching Laverne and Shirley lately and the last 3 episodes ended in sexual assault. It gets really weird and dark.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I didn't see Scream until many years after I saw Scary Movie, so the principal being Squiggy reference was lost on me but still funny. (The principal in Scream was the Fonz)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stonehouse Beach posted:

Jeffrey Meek also did a good Raiden and the best Shao Kahn. It's the only time Kahn showed some dangerous intelligence instead of just punching really hard. However, in addition to budget, Conquest was also held back by constantly being PG-13 horny and that two of the three leads couldn't fight.

Cameron Diaz was supposed to play Sonya Blade in the '95 Mortal Kombat film but had to drop out at the last minute because of an injury and was replaced by Bridgette Wilson who as far as I can tell had no previous martial arts training at all. Everyone else had received several weeks worth of training for their fight scenes before filming started but she had to get trained up on the set, apparently her fight with Kano was the very last thing they filmed so she had extra time to prep for it. It was still pretty gosh darn awful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07KHVWuAw8s
Her finishing move is a handstand with the other actor holding her in place and then gently falling over on soft sand

On the other hand it was still more than what Kylie Minogue attempted in Street Fighter where her special move was "medium kick". :v: There was actually a deleted scene where Cammy fights Chun-Li and you really get the sense that Ming-Na Wen was trying her hardest to keep the fighting absolutely minimal while at the same time literally somersaulting around the set and doing the widest spinning kicks possible to try and give some movement and flare to the scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGVF-TJbZ4I

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 04:17 on May 31, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Desert Bus posted:

Damar's whole character for much of his screentime was basically being drunk on Kanar constantly and it got his actor pretty wired, yeah. I think they switched to a sugar-free brand at some point.

Kanar comes up a few times, according to O'Brien it can be enjoyed by humans but it's very much an acquired taste.

Rochallor posted:

There's a lot of poo poo that devolves into the "gotta keep women in their place" thing. I was going through Malcolm in the Middle about a year ago, a series which generally holds up quite well, but there's one episode which involves Lois getting in a car accident and maintaining that she looked where she was going, it wasn't her fault. A surveillance tape shows her pulling out in front of a guy and getting hit, and it's a huge blow to her self-confidence.

The conclusion of the episode is the reveal of another surveillance tape that shows the guy she got hit by pulled an illegal U-turn into her lane, and the response by this from her family is to immediately destroy the tape because sometimes Lois is too self-righteous for her own good and could stand to be taken down a peg. It's absolutely played as a comedy bit and not horrific gaslighting.

Fair, though that might just come from the mom being the only major female character; kind of the point of the show is the whole family are terrible people- almost entirely thanks to their terrible parents.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
drat Ming-Na Wen just loving rocks, I'm so happy to see her getting at least part of her due.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

WaywardWoodwose posted:

[I've been rewatching Laverne and Shirley lately and the last 3 episodes ended in sexual assault. It gets really weird and dark.

Was it by their creepy neighbours? Even watching that show as a little kid, those guys skeeved me out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Her finishing move is a handstand with the other actor holding her in place and then gently falling over on soft sand

It's worse than that - her handstand was quite obviously shot in reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

It's worse than that - her handstand was quite obviously shot in reverse.

Oh poo poo, it just gets worse and worse

One thing though, looking back on that clip again I finally recognised the song they're playing over the fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0O1BRtDBPg
The soundtrack was definitely the best thing about that movie, the MORTAL KOMBATTTT! theme is an alltime great

TEST
YOUR MIGHT

FIGHT!