Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The same press that managed to smear Bernie and Corbyn as antisemitic, will have no problems smearing Cohen's accusers as antisemitic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

This feels like a Mitchell & Webb skit.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jel Shaker posted:

hopefully a hard hitting and uncompromising investigative paper like the Private Eye will be on the case and answer all these questions any minute now…

Well, word is that Private Eye has a source very close to Nick Cohen on staff. Yes, yes, :thejoke:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is an interesting approach. They aren't leaving the store with the goods, so technically aren't committing any crimes [Edit: Corrected a few posts down by Tsietisin]

https://twitter.com/BenClaimant/status/1663514036137336834

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 30, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jippa posted:

I have a browser add on called "bypass paywalls clean" which automatically does it when you load a page. Very useful.

Nice. I'll have to give that a go

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Someone post the Ed Miliband strikes video

I've always thought Rishi and Ed sound a bit similar

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Ah but he is a rich alcoholic. Poor alcoholics can be beaten just for being drunk in a public place, because nobody wants to see that. Rich alcoholics, we all have to pause and meditate about how one day they shall die, and never do anything about anything until then.

This reminds me when the Harvey Weinstien stuff started coming out his PR representatives said that he had immediately flown out to attend an intense two day "how not to be a Sexual Predator" class and was being an active participant. All to say "he's done this class. There is no reason to charge him or even fire him from Mirimax."

Powerful people are really terrified of any type of consequences.

James Dente
Nov 29, 2003
Awful Things Ate My Head

Pistol_Pete posted:

If you read the full article, the contrast between Cohen's extremely open and unconcealed behaviour and the conveyor belt of senior executives going: "Well golly-gosh, we had absolutely no idea any of this was going on!" when questioned is particularly puke-inducing.

Maybe they get all their information from Wikipedia editor "Philip Cross" who totally isn't anything to do with Nick Cohen or his mates.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

fuctifino posted:

This is an interesting approach. They aren't leaving the store with the goods, so technically aren't committing any crimes

Personally I agree with this kind of thing as direct action and would like to see more.

However, they are committing the crime of theft.

"A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;"

That's the legal wording for theft and their actions are pretty much exactly that.

Once again, I am very much a "If you see someone shoplifting... No you didn't" person. I just don't want people to do this under the belief they are not breaking the law, when they absolutely would be.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just need some sort of device that can hack barcodes and its systems and make everything free with one swipe and beep boop.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 30, 2023

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

fuctifino posted:

This is an interesting approach. They aren't leaving the store with the goods, so technically aren't committing any crimes [Edit: Corrected a few posts down by Tsietisin]

They are, since theft happens at the point you take intending to deprive. You just can't prove that intent until they walk out the door - otherwise they can claim they were going to put it back and you can't prove otherwise. Here, putting into the bins without paying is intent to deprive as surely as walking out the door with them is - and easier for staff to fix when told.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted:

Just need some sort of device that can hack barcodes and its systems and make everything free with one swipe and beep boop.

Depending on how dickish the prosecutor is feeling that can be anything from computer misuse to telegraph fraud, so probably less risk to just get a good pair of shoes and run for it.

e:

Nothingtoseehere posted:

theft happens at the point you take intending to deprive

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 30, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"Well the prosecutor is a bellend, your honour."
Who can afford shoes in this economy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You make sure that the first shop that you lift and run from is a good shoe shop. :eng101:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Tsietisin posted:

Personally I agree with this kind of thing as direct action and would like to see more.

However, they are committing the crime of theft.

"A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;"

That's the legal wording for theft and their actions are pretty much exactly that.

Once again, I am very much a "If you see someone shoplifting... No you didn't" person. I just don't want people to do this under the belief they are not breaking the law, when they absolutely would be.

Still an interesting argument for the group if they play it right. Assuming a case where they are arrested for it they can argue "all we were doing was donating to food banks" and suddenly the state, police, and supermarkets themselves are the bad actors.

It won't work because it would require an even remotely sympathetic (to the less fortunate, not other journalists) media but it might help on social media and on-the-ground activism.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

You make sure that the first shop that you lift and run from is a good shoe shop. :eng101:

Much as I marvel in dismay at the ongoing relevance of Not the Nine O'clock News more than 40 years later, I never expected this sketch to become relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jBlE5F7r8I

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jedit posted:

Much as I marvel in dismay at the ongoing relevance of Not the Nine O'clock News more than 40 years later, I never expected this sketch to become relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jBlE5F7r8I

Then there is this one.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkzxGr4Yx8U

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It appears that Stephen Waxy-Lemon is facing a two year prison sentence for beaching a court order.

So he's run away.... to Cuba... and is now a criminal immigrant on the run. He says in the video that his next stop is America, which will be interesting if he means USA, because I'm pretty certain he's banned from there.

Link to tweet with vid to remove lovely embed

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

It appears that Stephen Waxy-Lemon is facing a two year prison sentence for beaching a court order.

So he's run away.... to Cuba... and is now a criminal immigrant on the run. He says in the video that his next stop is America, which will be interesting if he means USA, because I'm pretty certain he's banned from there.

The kind of fuckwit who will tell you where he's going next when he's a fugitive from justice is just the kind of fuckwit who will go somewhere that he's not permitted to go to and which has an extradition treaty with the country he's running from. (And even if the US aren't always inclined to honour that treaty to hand over a Yank, they're more than likely to return one of our own criminal scum.)

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Skull Servant posted:

Still an interesting argument for the group if they play it right. Assuming a case where they are arrested for it they can argue "all we were doing was donating to food banks" and suddenly the state, police, and supermarkets themselves are the bad actors.

It won't work because it would require an even remotely sympathetic (to the less fortunate, not other journalists) media but it might help on social media and on-the-ground activism.

Here's a possible defence.

If you have not passed the last opportunity to pay, and most supermarkets will have those cigarette and lottery kiosks right by the exit, you cannot have yet committed an offence as you can argue that you were going to pay.

You then make the argument that you decided you didn't need the goods and placed them in the nearest receptacle available to you before you left.

That could eliminate enough of the theft definition to stop a prosecution.

Of course, if you publish a YouTube video of your intentions, that argument goes out of the window.

It also doesn't stop the supermarkets from banning you from all their locations, though trespassing under those circumstances is merely a civil offence and there is little they can do about it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Skull Servant posted:

I expect what would actually happen is the media would castigate the activists for abusing those in need and the "good faith" of supermarkets for their own selfish interests, supermarkets would ~ever so graciously~ offer to donate the "thieved" goods anyway, and then the donation boxes would be removed in favour of a US-style nag at the tills asking if you'd like to make a "suggested donation" towards a Tesco-approved charity every time you shop.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/thestaggers/status/1663555227256225796?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

"Everyone in the party knows everybody else, and that’s a good thing."

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
It's very important for political parties to have a leadership representative of their leadership.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/thestaggers/status/1663555227256225796?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

"Everyone in the party knows everybody else, and that’s a good thing."

OK so they sleep with their relatives that's not that surprising I guess but they marry them as well?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not long ago that's how newspapers would warn people about some kind of insular dangerous cult.

No wait carry on.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

"hosted by the SWP" is a bit of a red flag.

always the way with communists :dumbrim:

e:f,b

Convex fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 30, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Please enjoy this map full of funny old names for places that I finally managed to get a readable picture of.

Or at least, not significantly less readable than the actual map was to begin with.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is Leicester hiding behind the Mercian shield?

I see they've finally done a material analysis of the shiny boi

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I like to watch these pisstakes that come out of Australia and they're often depressingly relevant to the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kecnSHmznic

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

Please enjoy this map full of funny old names for places that I finally managed to get a readable picture of.

Or at least, not significantly less readable than the actual map was to begin with.

that's the lowest effort ireland i've seen since this year's eurovision entry :dadjoke:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In addition to apparently not having anybody living on it it's also a lot squarer than I remember.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
them's some girthy Hebrides

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OwlFancier posted:

I have this somewhere but not the wall space for it

https://marvellousmaps.com/shop/stgs-great-british-place-names-map-flat

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
girthy he-bride being my grindr name ofc

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OUGGH, Little Old Lady - Chorlton Cum Hardy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would for the day when andrew's knob is truly next to the devil's arse.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NoneMoreNegative posted:

OUGGH, Little Old Lady - Chorlton Cum Hardy

Lived there for ten years, had lunch there yesterday. It is a lovely place.

My favourite place name though is Cockermouth - or as the locals call it, Knobbergob.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ever since seeing the name on a war memorial in Inverness I've always been partial to Twatt. There's actually a couple of Twatts, one on Orkney and one on Shetland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, the Lib Dem MPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

crispix posted:

that's the lowest effort ireland i've seen since this year's eurovision entry :dadjoke:

I was reading a book on Hugh O’Neil and the Nine Years War and if it’s anything to go by the English presumed Ireland was a depopulated wasteland for much, much longer than this.

And then it turned out O’Neill had an income similar to the entire Tudor dynasty he was fighting.