Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Edit: I am incapable of writing short posts.
TL;DR Anyone have experience with dislocated ribs?

Definitely do not go to a chiropractor, whatever else you do. They are 100% quacks, every one of them. I have no advice on what you should do. You could try asking in the Goon Doctor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, make a thread in the Goon Doctor subforum, hope someone who's actually knowledgeable about healthcare takes pity on you.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'll try a GD thread, I did look there first but there doesn't seem to be a one-off question thread, and solo threads on the first page are from, like, March. Doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic there except in the stickied threads for professional chat, whereas this one has some eyes on it every day.

Appreciate the replies, though, thank you! And yeah, no worries, I am never going to a chiropractor, not after reading horror stories about them doing "adjustments" on infants (wtf their bones aren't even hard), etc.

Also the goon chiropractor who showed up in a thread to defend his "profession". A challenging goon presents an x-ray image and asks his opinion. Chirogoon makes a diagnosis and suggestions on what "adjustments" should be made for this patient.

Challenging goon was a vet, x-ray was from a dog in their textbook

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Our air mattress sprung a leak. How can we patch it that won't just burst again

It is apparently vinyl just with a weird fuzzy finish. Flocking?

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 29, 2023

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
I would go for a second opinion if possible, I dunno how widespread of a problem insurance providers selling doctors on chiropractic is in your area but you might get better luck with a second doctor.

The first thing that comes to mind for fixing a leak in an air mattress is the stuff you put on a tire to stop the leak, but I feel like that stuff might not be good to use indoors, seems like it would be toxic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I'll try a GD thread, I did look there first but there doesn't seem to be a one-off question thread, and solo threads on the first page are from, like, March. Doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic there except in the stickied threads for professional chat, whereas this one has some eyes on it every day.

As I understand it, there's no general medical questions thread because goon medical professionals don't want to have a thread where goon woo practitioners can hang out and try to argue about what healthcare actually entails. It's easier to keep things grounded in actual science if the threads are more distributed.

When I posted a thread in GD for my own issue, I got a response within a day or two, for what it's worth.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

There's no small question thread in TGD because nothing medical counts as a small question. Everyone has at least one complicating factor and things they're not talking about.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Here's a topical one for my fellow Americans. What's the etiquette on the phrase "Happy Memorial Day"? The actual reason for the holiday certainly isn't a "happy" thing; the tone it calls for is more "solemn and respectful". But realistically, to 99 percent of people it's mostly the unofficial start of summer, and a day to go to a barbecue or otherwise have fun.

To military folks (and families) in particular: does "Happy Memorial Day" rub you the wrong way, or is it such a common thing you don't even notice it?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I feel like I almost never hear people say "happy memorial day" but I hear a lot of "have a nice memorial day weekend" in the spirit of the bbq/start of summer thing

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Agreed that I don't recall hearing people day "happy Memorial Day", which would certainly rub me the wrong way (and I don't think just because I'm a vet).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Powered Descent posted:

Here's a topical one for my fellow Americans. What's the etiquette on the phrase "Happy Memorial Day"? The actual reason for the holiday certainly isn't a "happy" thing; the tone it calls for is more "solemn and respectful". But realistically, to 99 percent of people it's mostly the unofficial start of summer, and a day to go to a barbecue or otherwise have fun.

To military folks (and families) in particular: does "Happy Memorial Day" rub you the wrong way, or is it such a common thing you don't even notice it?

Any poor soul working retail this weekend/today is going to hear “Happy Memorial Day” from boomers throughout their shift. Same poo poo happens on Veterans Day.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
I'd like to set up adblocking through my router. As someone with less tech know-how than your average goon but more than your average boomer (i.e. I've been using computers my entire life and can generally navigate settings well enough to fix minor issues that confound my coworkers, but anything involving the phrase "DNS settings" is still intimidating to me), is this a good guide for getting it working? Are there any pitfalls about doing it this way - e.g., websites or streaming services freezing up, failing to load, or otherwise not working correctly? I know I've seen a bunch of goons mention having their own custom adblocking setup which I assume means they found the Pi-hole method lacking in some way.

Also, the article mentions a couple of different Raspberry Pi devices; if this is the only thing I'd be using one for is there any reason not to go with the cheapest, most energy-efficient option?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Atahualpa posted:

I'd like to set up adblocking through my router. As someone with less tech know-how than your average goon but more than your average boomer (i.e. I've been using computers my entire life and can generally navigate settings well enough to fix minor issues that confound my coworkers, but anything involving the phrase "DNS settings" is still intimidating to me), is this a good guide for getting it working? Are there any pitfalls about doing it this way - e.g., websites or streaming services freezing up, failing to load, or otherwise not working correctly? I know I've seen a bunch of goons mention having their own custom adblocking setup which I assume means they found the Pi-hole method lacking in some way.

Also, the article mentions a couple of different Raspberry Pi devices; if this is the only thing I'd be using one for is there any reason not to go with the cheapest, most energy-efficient option?
pi-hole works well and is nicely configurable, but can take a little bit of tweaking. Have you ever used Linux? That guide looks fine.

You can use lists of which domains to block, there are a bunch of popular ones. You'll notice occasional sites not working, but the pi-hole has a pretty easy web interface for temporarily turning off blocking or adding specific sites to an allowlist. FTP Mobile games are one of the worst offenders, if that's your jam. The cheapest/simplest raspberry pi should be fine (the Zero W, I think?), though you'd get a tiny bit better performance with one of the ones with ethernet.

One caveat - unless you want to manage a little server for fun, it's going to be much more time efficient (and similarly cost efficient) to use a service like https://nextdns.io/ - I switched from running a couple pi-holes to that and it's been definitely worth the couple bucks a month.

Edit: also, using a service like that instead of a pi-hole makes it easy to block ads when you're not on your home network, which is pretty nice. It's not impossible to do that with a pi-hole but it's trickier.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 29, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I do like how the solution for the "I'm scared of DNS" goon is "set up DNS".

For real though NextDNS is going to be a lot easier on you OP. It takes all the maintenance issues out and you won't have to spend hours troubleshooting where exactly in the link something has broken ifwhen it breaks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Another positive for NextDNS: you can easily apply it to your mobile devices so your get the benefits on the go without having to set up a VPN.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just use the free tier AdGuard dns servers. I have not had any trouble with things not working, which is good, because there are no logs or config of any kind.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Edit: I am incapable of writing short posts.
TL;DR Anyone have experience with dislocated ribs?

I was manually lifting a large garage bay door at work (imagine what you see at the auto shop) and my back went POP, I experienced a flash of pain, yelled "gently caress" so loud you could probably hear it 3 counties over, and went to the urgent care.

Turns out I dislocated 2 ribs. X-ray showed no fractures, but you can poke them and they pop back and forth like the Hasbro Pop-o-Matic bubble.

The doc-in-a-box suggested I go get them popped back in by a chiropractor. I've read enough (a good deal thanks to these forums) to have a strong feeling that chiros are dangerous money grubbing quacks. The idea an actual medical professional would recommend that really shocked me, honestly.

Anyone else had dislocated ribs, and where did you go to get them popped in? I'm on Medicaid and don't have a PCP. I'm strongly against going to the ER because it's not an emergency.

Or did you just live with them? The pain is going away thanks to a few days off work and they aren't really bothering me. The docs who saw me seemed real casual about "yeah, you could go to a chiropractor and get them popped in", not "get to someone right now".

My bottom-right rib has, for my entire life, existed as a weird pop-in, pop-out thing. I can push it, it will click in (you can hear it), and if I take a big enough breath it pops back out, audibly.

I don't know what the deal is; it's such a non-issue I've 100% of the time forgotten to actually bring it up when I've gone to a doctor. Not sure I've ever had x-rays in the bottom part of my ribs, either, so maybe they never caught it.

Well, anyway, this is kind of anecdotal and maybe not that helpful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

One of my work computers requires a weekly restart for hygiene. It specifically has to be a restart; powering it on and off doesn't count. Does that really make a difference?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I'm guessing that when the rule was just "power it off and on" they caught some clueless worker just turning off the monitor and thinking that was the whole machine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Since windows 8 the default for shutdown is to do a sort of half hibernation, where the os part of what's in memory gets written to disk and then recalled on boot. You can bypass this with shift+shutdown or just do a regular restart for an actual fresh boot. So yes, there is a difference.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ultrafilter posted:

One of my work computers requires a weekly restart for hygiene. It specifically has to be a restart; powering it on and off doesn't count. Does that really make a difference?

They have "fast restart" turned on. In the Windows search bar, type "power options". In the left pane click "Choose what the power buttons do". Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and then take the tick mark out of "Turn on fast startup"

Note that this may be impossible to do depending on how your org's Group Policy is configured.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Since windows 8 the default for shutdown is to do a sort of half hibernation, where the os part of what's in memory gets written to disk and then recalled on boot. You can bypass this with shift+shutdown or just do a regular restart for an actual fresh boot. So yes, there is a difference.

Ugh I had forgotten this. I did some settings or registry tinkering to disable that. In the era of SSDs a proper boot is so fast it doesn't really matter anyway. And that hibernation setup caused some problems for me. It might have been related to running a multi boot system.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
What is it about "regular use" that stops a cast iron pan from rusting? The actual cooking surface is always getting scrubbed and oiled, but what about the handle or the underside of the pan?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

What is it about "regular use" that stops a cast iron pan from rusting? The actual cooking surface is always getting scrubbed and oiled, but what about the handle or the underside of the pan?

Same question actually but for car tires. Seems like if a car is parked for months at a time the tires lose a lot of air pressure where if it's driven every day the tires generally stay at inflation for 6, 9, 12 months at a time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

when you season the pan you are supposed to include the whole thing, handle and underside too, so they are in fact protected by a thin layer of oil. after that, as long as you make sure the handle and underside aren't exposed to moisture/water for a prolonged period, they will be fine

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Same question actually but for car tires. Seems like if a car is parked for months at a time the tires lose a lot of air pressure where if it's driven every day the tires generally stay at inflation for 6, 9, 12 months at a time.
Maybe being stationary puts continual stress/weight on the same places in the rubber, causing it to stretch/weaken over time? Although I'd say check your tire pressure, all tires are going to gradually lose air, you should probably be topping up every ~3 months.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

when you season the pan you are supposed to include the whole thing, handle and underside too, so they are in fact protected by a thin layer of oil. after that, as long as you make sure the handle and underside aren't exposed to moisture/water for a prolonged period, they will be fine

Just so people dont get the wrong idea, the oil isn’t exactly what’s protecting the pan, but the polymerization of the oil from the seasoning process.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Earwicker posted:

but people in the 1700s weren't doing that whole cover-your-pan-in-oil-and-stick-it-in-the-oven thing, their pans were just naturally seasoned from use by the cooking oils they used in food. and the pans still worked fine back then
so there's gotta be more than that

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 30, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

People probably died a lot more in the 1700s right

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but people in the 1700s weren't doing that whole cover-your-pan-in-oil-and-stick-it-in-the-oven thing, their pans were just naturally seasoned from use by the cooking oils they used in food. and the pans still worked fine back then
so there's gotta be more than that

Why would you figure that cast iron pans in the past wouldn’t be intentionally seasoned just like we do today?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but people in the 1700s weren't doing that whole cover-your-pan-in-oil-and-stick-it-in-the-oven thing

they weren't? cast iron cookware has been around for centuries, and the concept of using oil and heat to protect iron from rust is not exactly a new technique nor is it confined specifically to cookware, what makes you think no one was doing that in the 18th century?

and for that matter what makes you think their pans were "always fine"? i'm sure there were plenty of 18th century people who didn't take care of their poo poo properly and it rusted, just like today.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

litany of gulps posted:

Why would you figure that cast iron pans in the past wouldn’t be intentionally seasoned just like we do today?

i figured the modern process of doing all that comes from an understanding of polymerization and poo poo and the traditional process was more like "just cook with it lol", with the seasoning happening slowly over many usages
but that is just my first impression, i'd love to know more

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Human beings are pretty good at figuring out a thing, but not figuring out why a thing does what it does, not until later, at least.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i figured the modern process of doing all that comes from an understanding of polymerization and poo poo and the traditional process was more like "just cook with it lol", with the seasoning happening slowly over many usages
but that is just my first impression, i'd love to know more

if you just start cooking with it without seasoning it first the food is going to stick and also if you are cooking something with enough water content and not enough fat, you might start the rusting process. these days most cast iron pans you buy in a store are pre-seasoned so you can in fact take it home and just start cooking.

Leave posted:

Human beings are pretty good at figuring out a thing, but not figuring out why a thing does what it does, not until later, at least.

yeah you don't need to understand polymerization to see the basic fact that water causes iron to rust, and that oil repels water, so using oil to protect iron from water and using heat to "bake it in" so to speak is all you need to know

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 30, 2023

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
The only major difference between the practical life of a person in the 1700s and a person now is that they didn't have access to industrial chemicals and poo poo, you certainly don't need any of that to figure out how to store cast iron. Probably something like 1500 years ago some guy in China noticed that his pans last longer if you put food oil on em and didn't really care about why, and then everyone starts doing it for the rest of human history because iron is a lot more expensive than oil.

Miles Blundell fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 30, 2023

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have a couple of cast iron pans that were given to me by my grandparents, who had not used them in an unknown number of years/decades, and I myself haven't used them in a decade, and they haven't rusted.

Well one did, a little, because a damp Tupperware was put on it, but otherwise they've been fine.

(I use a couple, these are just awkward sizes and shapes for what I use the pans for so they get ignored.)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Why do nukes make mushroom clouds? And would a nuke of any size make a mushroom cloud?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Leave posted:

Why do nukes make mushroom clouds? And would a nuke of any size make a mushroom cloud?

Mushroom clouds are a thermodynamic effect of a very strong heat source rising into the atmosphere, and a lot of things other than nukes make them

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, but they're throwing nukes in Starship Troopers, and not those other sources. Well, maybe they did, because I don't know the other sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Mushroom clouds form because the air around and explosion is very hot. Since it’s hot it both rises and expands at the same time so the cloud will be large at the top. Any concentrated explosion (ie a bomb and not something more dispersed like a gas explosion) can make them, even hand grenades can a little bit.