Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sirbeefalot posted:

Those were awesome, I figured it was a one and done mechanism until I got to build the second one. I even built it with the wheel turning the opposite way and it still worked.

Yeah. "That's a cute way to show off some creativity, and it hides the wheels I need for the next part" --> "I get to play with it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CapnAndy posted:

Also I saw an article today on kotaku or something about "how you can use unlikely powers to cheese bosses" and the article was like "you can beat Taluses by using Recall to send the rocks back into their face and then Ascend to get up onto the platforms!", and like... yes? That's what I did literally the first time I saw one, and have ever since? Because I'm pretty sure you're supposed to? Every enemy in the entire game who throws something physical at you is holding up a great big Punish Me For This sign.

I didn't figure that out until my second talus! The first one I was just throwing firefruit at grass and riding the updrafts to get on its back.

Nihonniboku posted:

One thing that video does confirm to me is that enemies can and will destroy your constructs. I tried asking last week, and nobody here seemed to know the answer. Although I haven't really tried using anything like it since.

It's specifically lynels who have a construct-deleting roar. I don't think any other enemy does this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Other enemies can absolutely destroy your contraptions

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's specifically lynels who have a construct-deleting roar. I don't think any other enemy does this.

All the big minibosses can crush your stuff too as far as I can tell. I've seen Hinoxes, Talus and Frox all do it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CainFortea posted:

Is it just me or when you fuze things to the master sword they don't actually hit enemies with whatever you've stuck on the end? I put Caldera's jaw on it and I still have to get up within 1h range to actually count a hit.

Caldera's jaw has a wind effect that blows enemies away, it's kind of useless for adding it to weapons for damage unless you're right on top of a guy.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't remember if the Gleeok destroyed my trampolines or just blew them away, but it definitely took out my boing boing board.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Caldera's jaw has a wind effect that blows enemies away, it's kind of useless for adding it to weapons for damage unless you're right on top of a guy.

I don't remember if the Gleeok destroyed my trampolines or just blew them away, but it definitely took out my boing boing board.

I also stuck a spear on the end too and the same thing. The spear would just pass through stuff and do nothing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wonder where they take the next Zelda game after this, would love a Majora's mask situation where Link just wanders off one day and ends up in a alternate dimension full of reused assets and Hudson making his return as President over one of the 4 areas you have to visit to get the macguffin to stop the sky from falling.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flood Hyrule and now we have legend of Zelda black flag

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I want a botw/TotK game with friendly monsters. I wanna to befriend a kind bokoblin without the use of the mask.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Defeat ganon by persuading bokoblins to join your team, either through acts of kindness and playfulness, or by being possessed by the elf who made lord of the rings rings by force

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got the whole froggy armor set, so I'm gonna need a whole mess of sticky lizards to get the nonslip upgrade bonus. Is there an easier way to farm them than just wandering around through random caverns? I've been warping around to each stable since they all have wells to jump into, and I'm at one lizard in the first five locations :negative:

Maybe an obvious question but how are you actually catching these things? Shocking them?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

404notfound posted:

I did this while in the desert, and while it works, it's really annoying to have to keep running to the spirit to activate it again, especially since the spirits sometimes seem to get stuck or won't spawn in

I wish they could've found a spot to stick the champion abilities into a quick menu. It kinda stands out as the one mechanic that's a little clunky.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Dedicated Whistle button is right there too when most people have traded horses for horsepower to get around.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

I want a botw/TotK game with friendly monsters. I wanna to befriend a kind bokoblin without the use of the mask.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

CainFortea posted:

Flood Hyrule and now we have legend of Zelda black flag

Waffleopolis posted:

These are the two ideas I've been workshopping in my head for fun. Imagine diving down to Hyrule field, now bustling with fish and seaweed and Zora, and then further down, into the depths, where a vast cavern is revealed, photosynthetic life pulsing softly in every corner, enormous shadows moving in the far distance, getting closer. Closer.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Too many Zelda games with stuff involving the past. It's time for A Link to the Future.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Frankston posted:

Too many Zelda games with stuff involving the past. It's time for A Link to the Future.

that's metroid

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mercury Hat posted:

Maybe an obvious question but how are you actually catching these things? Shocking them?

I just shoot them with the bow.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I have no idea how to gameify it, but I'd love an open world where the primary gameplay loop wasn't 99% of the world being hostile.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MajorBonnet posted:

I have no idea how to gameify it, but I'd love an open world where the primary gameplay loop wasn't 99% of the world being hostile.

I mean that sounds like pokemon arceus with like pokemon battles disabled tbh

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

graventy posted:

I just shoot them with the bow.

You just reminded me when I watched someone else play and a lizard dropped down and impaled itself on environmental hazard spikes, lol.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mercury Hat posted:

You can sneak up on them if they're close enough to the ground, but anyone on the ceiling or too high up gets an arrow to their stupid lizard faces.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Dedicated Whistle button is right there too when most people have traded horses for horsepower to get around.

Would've been pretty nice to have Down D-pad open a menu to either do a generic horse call, or like blow the Serenade of Water to signal Sidon.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Waffleopolis posted:

You could probably just play one of the Dragon Quest Monster games and call it a day

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wonder where they take the next Zelda game after this, would love a Majora's mask situation where Link just wanders off one day and ends up in a alternate dimension full of reused assets and Hudson making his return as President over one of the 4 areas you have to visit to get the macguffin to stop the sky from falling.

I would love for the last of these Zeldas to return to Termina, except it's several hundred years in the future and Clock City is a huge bustling metropolis with sizable but not huge open areas outside the city. Let's turn that lens inward and let Link Spider-Man his way up church steeples and make friends with potion shop owners.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Waffleopolis posted:

First bokoblin I saw when I landed in Hyrule Field was one of the ones with a frame full of fruit. Killed him immediately and then got wracked by guilt over killing an innocent forager...

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Runcible Cat posted:

First bokoblin I saw when I landed in Hyrule Field was one of the ones with a frame full of fruit. Killed him immediately and then got wracked by guilt over killing an innocent forager...

General Sherman would be proud of you. War is hell.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mercury Hat posted:

Like folks mentioned, sneaking up if they're not too high or shooting them if they're on the ceiling. The only thing I'd add is that if you shoot them over water they seem to disappear if you can't grab them as they're falling.

Finally got enough to upgrade to get the froggy armor bonus. Turns out the horriblin horns are actually taking longer - one of those times where I'm frustrated that the game keeps throwing higher level versions of monster at me when I want parts from the base kind.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
i can't believe these fairies want 15 lynel guts to max out the soldier armor. i think in botw it was 6? baffling change. i'd dupe if it wasn't patched.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

one of those times where I'm frustrated that the game keeps throwing higher level versions of monster at me when I want parts from the base kind.

I think there's an arena full of those in the west side of the underdark

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
re: weapon durability - my only issue with it is that i would like to use the Fierce Deity Sword but the game loves to arbitrarily slap your hands away from the cool callback weapons. Both in the "if you fuse something to it to make it actually good, it stops looking cool" sense, and in the "rock octoroks just hate the flavor of these weapons specifically" sense.

anyways my other complaint with weapons/fuse stuff is that you can't make any comically oversized hammers, any hammer-like object on the end gets shrunken to be a more reasonable size. What if I WANT the spikeball to stay the same size, game?? (It would've been cool if, instead of having just the sword/spear/greatsword/katana movesets from BotW, they added one or two new ones for ridiculous weapons. It would've been cool to have a Ridiculously Heavy Weapon moveset, or a Comically Long Sword moveset)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

MajorBonnet posted:

General Sherman would be proud of you. War is hell.

Sage Sherman is the reason the Gerudo live in a desert.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Rochallor posted:

let Link Spider-Man

With traversal basically being free between zonai devices and ultrahand/recall, I'm really disappointed we didn't get a cool hookshot this time around.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
what a nice game. cracked up at farming zelda for materials. definitely both exceeded and disappointed my expectations. feel like the cracks began slightly showing at the 60 hour-ish mark and i wrapped up the game pronto. i enjoyed the last boss fight but don’t think the final part of it was needed, would have been better if zelda just shithoused him in a cutscene.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Blaziken386 posted:

re: weapon durability - my only issue with it is that i would like to use the Fierce Deity Sword but the game loves to arbitrarily slap your hands away from the cool callback weapons. Both in the "if you fuse something to it to make it actually good, it stops looking cool" sense, and in the "rock octoroks just hate the flavor of these weapons specifically" sense.

Exploit: fuse the weapon to a regular weapon and unfuse them in Tarrey Town. Now it's fixed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Runcible Cat posted:

There they were, in a pile, a pile of little bokoblin arms, and I remember I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it, I never want to forget it.

The horror. The horror.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 30, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CainFortea posted:

I think there's an arena full of those in the west side of the underdark

Yeah, that was where I went first, unfortunately immediately after a blood moon so I couldn't go back for a while. I just wrapped up the collection anyway, I finally just resorted to looking up a couple more spawn points to visit. Not very fun today, I would've been happier if you just had to do the armor's sidequest line and it gave you the climbing bonus there.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Black Griffon posted:

Exploit: fuse the weapon to a regular weapon and unfuse them in Tarrey Town. Now it's fixed.
im aware of that but that still means i gotta grab another weapon and take the trip over to pelison. it's not hard but it is slightly tedious. it's very much a "oh, you want to use this? this sword? only if you enjoy jumping through hoops, idiot!!"

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Do I have to feed the fused weapons to an octorok before unfusing, or is the above all it takes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I found an outfit I really like. Diamond tiara + Zora armor + Soldier's Greaves looks freaking great and sleek