Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
She's probably concerned for her safety because a bunch of democrat leaning people think she's a russian plant and that she will interfere in the next election. In my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RealityWarCriminal posted:

She's probably concerned for her safety because a bunch of democrat leaning people think she's a russian plant and that she will interfere in the next election. In my opinion.

If this was her concern she's done a horrible job of proving them wrong, what with fleeing to Russia in the middle of their invasion of Ukraine and then accusing Biden of preparing to steal the next election.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
None of this invalidates her previous allegations against Biden but I don't think we need to take her new allegations at face value either.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

haveblue posted:

Still worth asking why she thinks the risk has only become unacceptable now and not at any other point in the past three decades

It seems pretty obvious that she's a vulnerable person being taken advantage of, like it's probably not that she independently came to these conclusions she's probably involved with people who have convinced her this is what's going on

She's clearly not some mastermind, this seems pretty likely to be the case

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

Uh does this mean there is a possibility that Biden's sexual assault allegation was a Russian psy-op?

Anything is possible, but considering there's evidence that she was privately making allegations about Biden back in the 90s, it would be a hell of a long play.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Levitate posted:

None of this invalidates her previous allegations against Biden but I don't think we need to take her new allegations at face value either.

Pretty much. After getting treated like she did by a deluge of team blue people, and the only people that wanted anything to do with her being right wing shitheads after the primary, it's not terribly surprising this is the result.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Huh? She specifically singled out feeling threatened from Biden (and the DNC), not random non-politicians who think she’s a Russian plant

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Until something meaningful comes out of the accusations (like, say, evidence) then as far as I'm concerned this really isn't any different from someone on a street corner with a cardboard sign proclaiming the end is nigh. She just has more resources (somehow or other) to go through with "defecting" and it would not surprise me if there was one or more enablers that were pushing her towards this outcome.

But, again, until some actual evidence or proof of anything comes out, I don't care.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'd feel threatened too if my rapist were the president of the united states

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kalli posted:

Pretty much. After getting treated like she did by a deluge of team blue people, and the only people that wanted anything to do with her being right wing shitheads after the primary, it's not terribly surprising this is the result.

Sure, but that's not what she's alleging. She's alleging that the President of the United States is going to use state apparatus to blackbag rendition her. She says this is because she has knowledge that Joe Biden is planning on stealing the 2024 election. She did not say that harassment from non-elected officials mad about her allegations are leading to this, she's quite clear as to what her reason is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's generally agreed that you don't have to be a perfect victim to retain the right to have your accusations treated seriously, but I think that "defecting to Russia*" may just possibly be beyond the pale of things you can do and still be treated as a good-faith actor.

*in 2023 of all years

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Skex posted:

This ain't the Cold War and Russia isn't even pretending to be communist anymore.

For all intents and purpose we're in a Second Cold War, relations with Russia are worse now than during great stretches of when they were still Communist. I'm just surprised nobody in the media has wanted to admit a new Cold War began effectively years ago.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Anything is possible, but considering there's evidence that she was privately making allegations about Biden back in the 90s, it would be a hell of a long play.

Yeah but those were sexual harassment accusations, e.g. inappropriately touching her shoulders, making remarks about her legs, etc. They are definitely very believable, considering how much more commonplace such behaviors were back then, and also the fact that Biden himself appears to have trouble understanding the concept of personal space. Very inappropriate and cringe stuff.

The rape allegations though were first made during the 2020 election season, at least AFAIK.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I have no problem believing that the accusations are credible because nobody is a perfect victim and Uncle Touchy Joe is creepy as hell about personal space.

If it turns out to be provably made up, I still won't feel bad for believing a woman vs a powerful man in politics as a sex pest.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, you can't "defect" to a country you aren't at war with. So, I'm not sure what she means in that context. Emigrating?

This kind of comes off as "it's only defection if it comes from the deFect region of France, otherwise it's just sparkling emigration."

There were plenty of people described as defectors in both directions during the Cold War era, and I'd say relations between Russia and the US are frosty enough to call it a defection in the vernacular sense, if not legally.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Yeah but those were sexual harassment accusations, e.g. inappropriately touching her shoulders, making remarks about her legs, etc. They are definitely very believable, considering how much more commonplace such behaviors were back then, and also the fact that Biden himself appears to have trouble understanding the concept of personal space. Very inappropriate and cringe stuff.

The rape allegations though were first made during the 2020 election season, at least AFAIK.

He grabbed her vagina.

That goes beyond "inappropriate touching" and "trouble understanding the concept of personal space" and is considered sexual assault.

And she told friends & family about it decades before 2020.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

It's generally agreed that you don't have to be a perfect victim to retain the right to have your accusations treated seriously, but I think that "defecting to Russia*" may just possibly be beyond the pale of things you can do and still be treated as a good-faith actor.

*in 2023 of all years

I take her allegations seriously even if her current actions seem to be paranoid madness. Really I think I'd also be a paranoid weirdo who thought the sky was green and the grass was blue and that Russia could help me if I had been raped and eventually my rapist was elected leader of the free world and praised as a hero by millions. She's likely been being manipulated in each and every direction since she has gone more public with the accusations.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 30, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s because he doesn’t understand what consent or sexual assault are. If I say I’m not racist but I understand that mexicans are inherently violent and inferior to the white race, I am still confessing my racism.

E Jean Carroll couldn’t stop him and he was able to grab her by the pussy, but she did not consent. Surely he would say she “let him do it.”

Agreed.

eta: This is an issue with a lot of older men who were raised in different times when women were powerless to fight back against sexual assault or risk being ridiculed, while men took delight in abusing that power.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 30, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Still worth asking why she thinks the risk has only become unacceptable now and not at any other point in the past three decades

Well, it's not like anyone else tried to steal an election lately.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

In Texas AG Ken Paxton's first media appearance since getting impeached on Steve Bannon's show. he talks about stopping 2.5 million mail-in votes after seeing other states flip from voter challenges. A lot of people are taking this as evidence that Paxton engaged in voter suppression and fraud.

https://twitter.com/CollinDems/status/1663375630593847300?s=20

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Jaxyon posted:

I have no problem believing that the accusations are credible because nobody is a perfect victim and Uncle Touchy Joe is creepy as hell about personal space.

If it turns out to be provably made up, I still won't feel bad for believing a woman vs a powerful man in politics as a sex pest.

The reason I was skeptical of the rape allegation is that abusers aren't typically one and done. It wasn't just Carroll accusing Trump it was dozens. It wasn't an actress accusing Harvey Weinstein once again dozens same with :kav: . The fact that it was just her didn't help her credibility. I mean even with Franken there were multiple accusations of groping.

That's not an automatic dismissal but it's going to be a higher bar given the circumstances and that the timing seemed mostly intended to neutralize Trump being accused of being a serial rapist by putting a cloud over Biden suggesting that he's a rapist too.

This idea that we have to have a signed confession accompanied by a video of a crime to make the obvious inference is bonkers. Her rape accusation was made after it was too late to change the outcome of the primary so we were stuck with Biden regardless whereas the same accusation a year earlier would have given people a chance to change course on their primary preference. So the timing is extremely suspect to start.

Then there's the complete lack of other victims coming forward which is unusual in this circumstances because abusers are generally habitual.

Even then skeptical doesn't mean dismissive, but her falling in with the MAGAts and Quidiots undermines her accusation as well, then literally going to Russia while spouting fascist propaganda.

At this point I'm comfortable concluding that it was just another Russian intelligence op rather than going through some convoluted mental gymnastics to dream up a sympathetic narrative to justify her choice to become a fascist.

Sometimes something is exactly what it appears to be kind of like Trump being a Russian asset.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Skex fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 30, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Young Freud posted:

In Texas AG Ken Paxton's first media appearance since getting impeached on Steve Bannon's show. he talks about stopping 2.5 million mail-in votes after seeing other states flip from voter challenges. A lot of people are taking this as evidence that Paxton engaged in voter suppression and fraud.

https://twitter.com/CollinDems/status/1663375630593847300?s=20

i personally know a woman in houston who was unable to vote in 2020 because of fuckery with lines and poll cutoff times. i won't hold my breath that anyone is held accountable, but it still makes me so mad to see someone being actively disenfranchised

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Skex posted:

The reason I was skeptical of the rape allegation is that abusers aren't typically one and done. It wasn't just Carroll accusing Trump it was dozens. It wasn't an actress accusing Harvey Weinstein once again dozens same with :beer: . The fact that it was just her didn't help her credibility. I mean even with Franken there were multiple accusations of groping.

There probably is. But dude has been a senator for longer than most of us have been alive, and now he's president.

It take's a lot to come forward against someone that powerful.

But also I don't believe there's any real basis for "abusers aren't typically one and done". Do you have some support for that?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm 99% certain that Paxton is just making poo poo up like the time when Trump claimed he would have won CA in 2016 if it wasn't for 'millions of illegal votes'. If 2.5 million mail ballots in TX were 'thrown out' we would have heard about it somewhere more reliable by now

This is not to say that his office didn't participate in voter disenfranchisement

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm 99% certain that Paxton is just making poo poo up like the time when Trump claimed he would have won CA in 2016 if it wasn't for 'millions of illegal votes'. If 2.5 million mail ballots in TX were 'thrown out' we would have heard about it somewhere more reliable by now

This is not to say that his office didn't participate in voter disenfranchisement

I like the level he's on where to prove his bonafides, he's not claiming that he didn't do voter disenfranchisement but is attempting lies claiming that his voter disenfranchisement was better, larger, and more effective than it really was.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

But also I don't believe there's any real basis for "abusers aren't typically one and done". Do you have some support for that?

I've seen studies in the past suggesting that the great majority of rapes are committed by a relatively small number of serial rapists. But even if that's true, it's a really easy statistic to misunderstand: it still leaves a whole lot of rapists that only did it once. It's good for understanding why there are so many more rape victims than there are rapists even when you only count specific accusations, but it's a really lovely reason to disbelieve an accusation.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
Looking at the list of amendments here, there's like 80 of them. do they have to vote on them individually in the rules committee, or what?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kavros posted:

I like the level he's on where to prove his bonafides, he's not claiming that he didn't do voter disenfranchisement but is attempting lies claiming that his voter disenfranchisement was better, larger, and more effective than it really was.

Seriously, you don’t need to invent votes or defend yourself in Texas, the GOP voters eat up suppression. It doesn’t affect GOP areas or cohorts so it’s the easiest sell in the world that you’re halting the evil lefties in the cities.

Like lmao how easy it is to vote in my hometown vs the horrorshow in places like Houston

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Craig K posted:

Looking at the list of amendments here, there's like 80 of them. do they have to vote on them individually in the rules committee, or what?

Sounds like a vote-a-rama!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lemming posted:

It seems pretty obvious that she's a vulnerable person being taken advantage of, like it's probably not that she independently came to these conclusions she's probably involved with people who have convinced her this is what's going on

She's clearly not some mastermind, this seems pretty likely to be the case

Sir Kodiak posted:

Jaxyon posted:

There probably is. But dude has been a senator for longer than most of us have been alive, and now he's president.

It take's a lot to come forward against someone that powerful.

It should be noted that as time went on a multitude of reporters looked into Tara Reades' story and her past and discovered she has a long history of lying and pulling stunts like this to the point that she was caught perjuring herself in the past and pretty much no one with any integrity wants anything to do with her any more since she has a long, long, long line of people she cynically manipulated by preying on their sympathy and good nature in believing her lies to bleed them dry of money and a house to stay at (that she wrecked at least once) before remorselessly leaving them behind.

In addition to that, it turns out that she was fired for cause by the Biden campaign for not doing her job, giving motive for revenge, the place she alleges the assault happened literally does not exist as reporters found out that it looks completely different from what she claims, and her friends later admitted that they were pressured by Reade to lie on her behalf corroborating her claims that Biden was handsy with her in public so Reade could set up a "layered" story she could unveil later on after Reade changed the nature of her allegations.

The russian intelligence and state media know how to use pathological users of people that like that for their own benefit, so it's probably an opportunistic thing. And to be clear, the words others have used to describe her in the past have gone on record as being "manipulative, deceitful, and a user of people".

Though I will say that she was tweeting and hollering support for russia and the RT state media way back when (she even called putin of all people the last hope for the free world when Obama was elected, or something like that) and actively seemed to oppose support for Ukraine, hyping up Russia, so who knows. She's certainly been in contact with russian propaganda operatives in recent years if her own admission is anything to go by.

Edit: She even pulled a George Santos "I never said I was jewish, I said I was jew ish." and later said something to the effect of that she never explicitly said she was sexually assaulted. She said she just implied it happened and it's on everyone else for assuming. I'd have to look the article that released that particular update but it looks like she's trying to grift after all her other grifts failed or ran dry and it turned out that she can't hold down a real job as simple as collating Biden supporter's mail and forwarding it to be replied to.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 31, 2023

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Skex posted:

The reason I was skeptical of the rape allegation is that abusers aren't typically one and done. It wasn't just Carroll accusing Trump it was dozens. It wasn't an actress accusing Harvey Weinstein once again dozens same with :kav: . The fact that it was just her didn't help her credibility. I mean even with Franken there were multiple accusations of groping.

That's not an automatic dismissal but it's going to be a higher bar given the circumstances and that the timing seemed mostly intended to neutralize Trump being accused of being a serial rapist by putting a cloud over Biden suggesting that he's a rapist too.

This idea that we have to have a signed confession accompanied by a video of a crime to make the obvious inference is bonkers. Her rape accusation was made after it was too late to change the outcome of the primary so we were stuck with Biden regardless whereas the same accusation a year earlier would have given people a chance to change course on their primary preference. So the timing is extremely suspect to start.

Then there's the complete lack of other victims coming forward which is unusual in this circumstances because abusers are generally habitual.

Even then skeptical doesn't mean dismissive, but her falling in with the MAGAts and Quidiots undermines her accusation as well, then literally going to Russia while spouting fascist propaganda.

At this point I'm comfortable concluding that it was just another Russian intelligence op rather than going through some convoluted mental gymnastics to dream up a sympathetic narrative to justify her choice to become a fascist.

Sometimes something is exactly what it appears to be kind of like Trump being a Russian asset.

There have been 7 women that came forward with allegations of unwanted touching and more. Here’s an article you can reference:

https://www.thecut.com/2020/04/joe-biden-accuser-accusations-allegations.html

Joe Biden would habitually swim naked in front of female secret service agents. You can read about that here:

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2014/08/01/biden-swims-naked-upsetting-female-secret-service-agents-book-claims

Joe Biden pinched the nipple of an eight year old girl at a public event, as documented on cspan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCTXDInRBvQ

Is that enough sexual harassment to qualify as serial abuse?

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

UKJeff posted:

There have been 7 women that came forward with allegations of unwanted touching and more. Here’s an article you can reference:

https://www.thecut.com/2020/04/joe-biden-accuser-accusations-allegations.html

Joe Biden would habitually swim naked in front of female secret service agents. You can read about that here:

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2014/08/01/biden-swims-naked-upsetting-female-secret-service-agents-book-claims

Joe Biden pinched the nipple of an eight year old girl at a public event, as documented on cspan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCTXDInRBvQ

Is that enough sexual harassment to qualify as serial abuse?

Both can be true.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

48 Hour Boner posted:

Both can be true.

?

I’m not sure what you mean. To be clear, I’m not commenting on Reades recent decision to “defect” to Russia or whatever. I fail to see the relevance to her allegations of sexual assault against Biden.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Skex posted:

This is just a lot of words to justify saying that you dont believe victims if they accuse people you like. Like the whole point of "believe women/victims" is that you give them the benefit of the doubt when their allegations have holes in them. ESPECIALLY when they have holes in them, because casting doubt is exactly how rapists end up getting away with it. There are no perfect victims, there are no perfect allegations.

Dismissing her allegations because "there are no other victims" is particularly bullshit. Even if we didnt have multiple photographed incidents of Biden getting way too handsy with women, it is absolutely not out of the question that this was the only incident. And even if it wasnt, its also not out of the question that the other victims simply havent come forward. Probably because they saw the abuse that Reade received!

It also really doesnt help that you started this off as an attempt to smear leftists. Really shows where your priorities are in this.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Everyone should be listented to about their possible sexual assault. They could be lying, but a one-off rapist targeting someone who wouldn't be belived is well within the bounds of the possible.

EDIT: And a possible serial sexual assaulter even more so.

It's the literally everything else Tara Reede has said that I take with a mountain-sized grain of salt. Like, how would she know about Biden's team's Super Secret Plan to steal the 2024 election????

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Texas AG Calls for Resignation of ‘Obviously’ Drunk GOP House Speaker

Ken Paxton has called for an investigation into Dade Phelan after he presided over a House session while visibly intoxicated

TEXAS ATTORNEY GENERAL Ken Paxton has called for the resignation of House Speaker Dade Phelan (R) after he presided over the house “in an obviously intoxicated state.” Paxton also called for an investigation into the incident.

“Texans were dismayed to witness his performance presiding over the Texas House in a state of apparent debilitating intoxication,” the attorney general wrote in a statement posted to Twitter on Tuesday. “His conduct has negatively impacted the legislative process and constitutes a failure to live up to his duty to the public.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U8OAIRFP7Q

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Archonex posted:

It should be noted that as time went on a multitude of reporters looked into Tara Reades' story and her past and discovered she has a long history of lying and pulling stunts like this to the point that she was caught perjuring herself in the past and pretty much no one with any integrity wants anything to do with her any more since she has a long, long, long line of people she cynically manipulated by preying on their sympathy and good nature in believing her lies to bleed them dry of money and a house to stay at (that she wrecked at least once) before remorselessly leaving them behind.

In addition to that, it turns out that she was fired for cause by the Biden campaign for not doing her job, giving motive for revenge, the place she alleges the assault happened literally does not exist as reporters found out that it looks completely different from what she claims, and her friends later admitted that they were pressured by Reade to lie on her behalf corroborating her claims that Biden was handsy with her in public so Reade could set up a "layered" story she could unveil later on after Reade changed the nature of her allegations.

The russian intelligence and state media know how to use pathological users of people that like that for their own benefit, so it's probably an opportunistic thing. And to be clear, the words others have used to describe her in the past have gone on record as being "manipulative, deceitful, and a user of people".

Though I will say that she was tweeting and hollering support for russia and the RT state media way back when (she even called putin of all people the last hope for the free world when Obama was elected, or something like that) and actively seemed to oppose support for Ukraine, hyping up Russia, so who knows. She's certainly been in contact with russian propaganda operatives in recent years if her own admission is anything to go by.

Edit: She even pulled a George Santos "I never said I was jewish, I said I was jew ish." and later said something to the effect of that she never explicitly said she was sexually assaulted. She said she just implied it happened and it's on everyone else for assuming. I'd have to look the article that released that particular update but it looks like she's trying to grift after all her other grifts failed or ran dry and it turned out that she can't hold down a real job as simple as collating Biden supporter's mail and forwarding it to be replied to.

This seems like something you should post a lot more sources for

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

RBA Starblade posted:

This seems like something you should post a lot more sources for

Sure thing!
For the manipulative, deceitful, and user of people thing:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/15/tara-reade-left-trail-of-aggrieved-acquaintances-260771

For the perjury thing and other stuff

https://www.montereycountyweekly.co...24a816d1cb.html

A particularly egregious one, where it becomes apparent she has no problem with straight up ruining lives if she gets attention or money posted:

...There’s no telling whether that piece of evidence made a difference to voters – should they not believe Reade’s claim about Biden because of a false claim about her degree? – and there’s also no telling whether it made a difference to jurors. But that question is enough for the justice system to set at least three people convicted of felonies free, years early.

Reade was called as an expert witness to the stand in Monterey County Superior Court on 10 domestic violence cases between 2006 and 2019. Expert witnesses provide factual testimony about a range of topics, from interpreting crime scene evidence to medical history to patterns of abusive relationships.

One of those cases was against James Sloop who was convicted on charges of domestic violence, false imprisonment and witness intimidation, after threatening his girlfriend’s cousin with a gun, forcing his girlfriend into a car and bringing her to an isolated wooded area on Jacks Peak where he punched her repeatedly. At age 41, he was sentenced to 17 years and eight months in prison in 2019; his sentence was reduced to eight years.

In 2018, a jury found two women, Jennifer Vasquez and Victoria Ramirez, guilty of attempted murder of four people; arson; assault and stalking, after a years-long, volatile relationship between Vasquez and her boyfriend. Prosecutors said Vasquez made a habit of showing up in the middle of the night at his Seaside home and screaming at his mother and grandmother. It came to a head on July 24, 2017, when Vasquez beat her ex-boyfriend’s new partner with a bottle and, with Ramirez, broke windows of the family home, poured gasoline around the perimeter, then set it on fire. The four people inside survived after the ex-boyfriend put out the fire.

In 2019, both women were sentenced to life in prison; Ramirez was 21 at the time, Vasquez 35. Vasquez’s sentence was reduced to nine years and eight months; at a hearing on Nov. 4, Ramirez’s sentence will be reduced to 10 years.

Prosecutors cooperated in each of these cases, essentially entering into a post-conviction plea bargain, realizing that Reade clearly lied on the stand.

“There’s no doubt she lied under oath, there’s no question about it,” says Chief Assistant District Attorney Berkley Brannon. “We know she didn’t have [an undergraduate degree]. She testified that she did.”

And a nice collation of various reporters efforts in investigating her with at least one giving her nearly 1 year long fair hearing and with many coming away deeply confused

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/tara-reade-joe-biden-allegation-reporting-vox-pbs-doubts.html

It also touches on some of the stuff I mentioned in my post, along with a large number of other discrepancies.

quote:

2. Reade’s friend admitted to lying to a reporter to fit Reade’s narrative. McGann spoke with one Reade friend, who told her last year that Biden had harassed Reade but had definitely not sexually assaulted her:

Last year, Reade encouraged me to speak with a friend of hers who counseled her through her time in Biden’s office in 1992 and 1993. The friend was clear about what had happened, and what hadn’t.

“On the scale of other things we heard, and I feel ashamed, but it wasn’t that bad. [Biden] never tried to kiss her directly. He never went for one of those touches. It was one of those, ‘sorry you took it that way.’ I know that is very hard to explain,” the friend told me. She went on: “What was creepy was that it was always in front of people.”

After Reade changed her allegation, McGann circled back to the friend, who explained that she had said something the friend knew to be false because Reade “wanted to leave a layer there”:

I spoke with Reade’s friend again this week. She said that Reade had told her about the alleged assault the week it happened in 1993. I asked the friend why, then, did she volunteer so explicitly that Biden “never tried to kiss her” or touch her inappropriately. “It just organically rolled out that way,” the friend said. “[Reade] and I had many conversations a year ago about what her degree of comfort was. She wanted to leave a layer there, and I did not want to betray that. It just wasn’t my place.”

Omitting a relevant detail to protect your friend is one thing. Adding false detail is another.

PBS NewsHour’s report turns up several more problems.

4. The physical geography does not line up with Reade’s claim. Her lawyer described the scene of the alleged assault as “a semiprivate area like an alcove” between the Russell building and the Capitol. NewsHour walked the route between those buildings and found “no out-of-view areas, like an alcove.” There are stairwells, which is not so different from an alcove that it’s impossible Reade mistook it for one. But NewsHour describes the route as a “main thoroughfare,” making it at least a somewhat unlikely location for a sexual assault.

6. One colleague recalls she was fired for cause. The most explosive detail in NewsHour’s report comes from Ben Savage, a former co-worker who sat next to Reade in the mailroom:

Savage, who worked as the office’s systems administrator, overseeing computers and information processing, told the NewsHour that Reade was fired for her poor performance on the job, which he witnessed — not as retaliation for her complaints about sexual harassment.

But according to Savage, Reade had been mishandling a key part of her job and an essential office task — processing constituent mail, something they worked on together. Savage said he recalls reporting these issues to his boss, deputy chief of staff Dennis Toner. After that, Savage said he began diminishing Reade’s duties, taking over some of her tasks and rerouting parts of the process to exclude her.

Savage’s recollection calls into question not only Reade’s explosive second allegation of sexual assault, but also her first allegation. And it would supply a motive for her to have lied to friends in the 1990s: If she was embarrassed for having been fired, she had a reason to have concocted a false account of what ended her employment. Her contemporaneous recounting of the assault at the time is the strongest piece of evidence. It is the primary reason to believe Reade’s story might still be true. But it seems less dispositive given that another contemporaneous recollection both disputes its specific claim about her reason for firing, and supplies a plausible reason why she would have misled friends about it at the time.

To be clear, this doesn't exonerate Biden in the other claims and you should believe all women. But Tara Reades' claim is so spotty and her history is so unbelievably filled with her pulling large scale cons like this that I feel safe in saying that she's gonna have to put up some more evidence than a simple claim for me to take it seriously.

That she now says she thinks Biden is sending assassins after her and he has a plan to steal an election is...Uh, yeah. What the gently caress.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 31, 2023

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

UKJeff posted:

?

I’m not sure what you mean. To be clear, I’m not commenting on Reades recent decision to “defect” to Russia or whatever. I fail to see the relevance to her allegations of sexual assault against Biden.

My mistake, I misunderstood. I meant that Biden being a sex pest is independent of Reade's accusations and actions, which I guess you were already saying. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Skex posted:

gently caress you you piece of poo poo. I hope you never have to deal with having sexual assault in your family, because no one should ever have that happen to them, and you would probably dismiss it anyways unless it was on camera or something

jesus gently caress, the rape culture in this thread is crazy