Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Because the TPU tubes were 25€ each and butyl only 5€.

Dunno what to do with the extra space, since I had already earlier carried a butyl spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Ihmemies posted:

Because the TPU tubes were 25€ each and butyl only 5€.

Dunno what to do with the extra space, since I had already earlier carried a butyl spare.

A second spare in case you run over the same piece of debris with both tires. You can get RideNow tubes from AliExpress for like $7.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

TobinHatesYou posted:

You can get RideNow tubes from AliExpress for like $7.

Was a no brainer for me. 1/3 the size and same price as a local butyl tube.

I filled the extra space with a dynaplug kit.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
TPU tubes are basically free on aliexpress

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I’ve been getting the ridenow tubes and they seem to be a no brainer over butyl.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I have a set of Tubolito tubes and several pairs of the Ridenow tubes. No meaningful difference, everyone should stock up these Ali express jams.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

osker posted:

I have a set of Tubolito tubes and several pairs of the Ridenow tubes. No meaningful difference, everyone should stock up these Ali express jams.

Are these really $3 on Ali express? What’s the catch? Do I lose my kidney?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Like $15 for a pair with postage. They're on ebay too, for a little more but faster delivery.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Residency Evil posted:

Are these really $3 on Ali express? What’s the catch? Do I lose my kidney?

No catch except that they take like 3-4 weeks to arrive.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

tarlibone posted:

I use tubes because they just sound better.

How are your injuries? Ride the MKT please!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

PosSibley posted:

How are your injuries? Ride the MKT please!

I see an orthopedist soon on my finger. It turns out I did break that pinky.

I rode my bike a lot this week, but it was all on my side of the Mississippi. One trail closure ended, and it was just time for one specific annual ride. I'm going to hit Katy soon.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

A second spare in case you run over the same piece of debris with both tires. You can get RideNow tubes from AliExpress for like $7.

I doubt they are Made in Germany for that price…

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Proud that I managed to (unintentionally) achieve Strava's 7500 meter climbing challenge this month - all it took was 2518 km lol, blessed be this flat country.

Loading up on carrying capacity to perhaps do some overnight bikepacking trips.
Added clip-on aero bars too a few days ago, pretty nice to have that one more position (and to combat all this wind)

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hello thread if I want to bicycle along long flat farm to market roads that are usually pretty empty and again very flat for the purposes of enjoyment and fitness would I be crazy to buy a fixed gear bike or a single speed bike?

would I be better off with a gravel bike? since on reflection some of the roads do indeed turn into gravel

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Damnit, I hope they don't cancel ride the hurricane this year based on the lodge burning down. How long do they possibly need to investigate a fire? Ugh

https://www.nps.gov/olym/hurricane-ridge-post-fire.htm

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

wolfs posted:

hello thread if I want to bicycle along long flat farm to market roads that are usually pretty empty and again very flat for the purposes of enjoyment and fitness would I be crazy to buy a fixed gear bike or a single speed bike?

would I be better off with a gravel bike? since on reflection some of the roads do indeed turn into gravel

Gravel or all-road bike is probably what you want. I have a single speed that can run as fixed, and I love it, but in general, geared is the way to go. This is especially true when you consider that right now, you just want to ride the rural roads; but, in a few months, you might want to use your bike for more than that. Also, roads that feel flat in a car can reveal themselves to be subtle but long climbs and descents, and those are less fun when you don't have at least a few extra gears.

Is the gravel you'd be riding on the bigger, chonkier stuff that is typical of rural roads? That stuff is harsher than you might think, so a gravel bike with bigger tires might be the best choice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow I had not heard of TPU tubes until now. About to swap out the 30 year old factory tires on my craigslist with gator skins, guess I should order a set of ridenow TPU, I guess they're pretty fantastic

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hadlock posted:

Wow I had not heard of TPU tubes until now. About to swap out the 30 year old factory tires on my craigslist with gator skins, guess I should order a set of ridenow TPU, I guess they're pretty fantastic

Gatorskins nooooooooooo!

Whatever your use case there are better options.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I’d have to go kick some roads in Bastrop to give a size estimate of what category aggregates they got but a gravel bike with large tires makes sense given they feel terrible in a car.

So do you have a few bikes, fixed and geared? My interest in fixed/single gear is because I’m concerned about the bike falling and the fancy derailleurs and shifters getting damaged.

That’s what happened the last time I tried bicycling ~7 years ago - the $300ish 21 speed mountain bike from Dick’s took a tumble and I couldn’t change gears anymore and the bike shop I took it to said fixing it would cost more than it was worth.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wooger posted:

Gatorskins nooooooooooo!

Whatever your use case there are better options.

Every bike I've ever owned since 2007 has had them (except my ~70s era motobecane, in... May 2014 I ordered Continental Super Sport Plus due to size constraints, or something) I'm not switching now :colbert:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the modern equivalent to the Garmin EDGE 500

I had one at some point but either I lost it, or was stolen I forget. It's gone now though.

The big pluses for me were: barometric altimeter (I have a 200' climb over one mile on my twice daily commute) and the ANT+ with the wheel cadence sensor thingy that could calculate approximate wattage

Looks like the 540 exists and still is going to cost me about $200 which seems....steep for 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hadlock posted:

What is the modern equivalent to the Garmin EDGE 500

I had one at some point but either I lost it, or was stolen I forget. It's gone now though.

The big pluses for me were: barometric altimeter (I have a 200' climb over one mile on my twice daily commute) and the ANT+ with the wheel cadence sensor thingy that could calculate approximate wattage

Garmin Edge 540 was released this year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess the Edge 130 has barometric altimeter now

Wow so $200 for the Edge 130
$60 for cadence and wheel speed sensor
$15 for the mount

$275 did I get that right

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

wolfs posted:

I’d have to go kick some roads in Bastrop to give a size estimate of what category aggregates they got but a gravel bike with large tires makes sense given they feel terrible in a car.

So do you have a few bikes, fixed and geared? My interest in fixed/single gear is because I’m concerned about the bike falling and the fancy derailleurs and shifters getting damaged.

That’s what happened the last time I tried bicycling ~7 years ago - the $300ish 21 speed mountain bike from Dick’s took a tumble and I couldn’t change gears anymore and the bike shop I took it to said fixing it would cost more than it was worth.

If it feels terrible in a car, like constant little bumps instead of just a noisy but dull rumble (like some of the bigger chipseal), then it's probably what I'm referring to. It's not as fun to ride on as pavement, but it's totally doable as long as the gravel isn't deep. You'll want bigger tires than you see on most road bikes, so a gravel bike is a good way to go. You can get them with flat or drop bars. Hell, I rode on this kind of surface with my Cypress, which is an inexpensive comfort hybrid with a shock absorber in the seat and 700×45c tires.

I got my single speed for fun little short & slow casual cruises on a steel bike with very classic lines, but in practice, I'm not much slower on it on flat terrain than on my road bike because it's just so fun to ride. Only on some of my town's steep hills does it feel limited; I've had to walk it up a couple of those. I tried riding this bike in fixed gear mode, and yeah, that's not for me.

The good and bad news is that there is a big difference between a Dick's $300 21-speed and a $600 one you buy at a bike shop. The $600 bike shop price got me a Giant Escape a couple years ago, a fitness hybrid "city commuter" (according to Giant) that's pretty much halfway between road and hybrid bikes. It's a little heavy but very solid, and I use it for grocery store runs.

There are also ATB bikes, but I don't know what the difference between that and a gravel bike is, or where the line is between the two styles. Someone else here might be able to shed some light on that.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Hadlock posted:

Every bike I've ever owned since 2007 has had them (except my ~70s era motobecane, in... May 2014 I ordered Continental Super Sport Plus due to size constraints, or something) I'm not switching now :colbert:

I mean okay, but Gatorskins give up like 10 watts per tire compared to GP5K clinchers at 18mph according to BRR. That’s… a lot.

The kicker is Gatorskin sidewalls aren’t even that durable..

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've literally never had an issue with gatorskin sidewalls in like, 10-12,000 miles I don't even know how that is possible to damage them

I'll accept my 10w loss for the 1.2 miles each way to daycare and back, the lovely tires on the toddler trailer is probably 10x worse

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

wolfs posted:

Bro get yourself a tracklocross bike.
And then post sweet pictures of it.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Any options other than tailfin for an easily removable rack? I like having a rack for the commute but I hate having to remove and fit it if I go out for an evening or weekend longer ride (yes I know it’s 4 bolts)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Any options other than tailfin for an easily removable rack? I like having a rack for the commute but I hate having to remove and fit it if I go out for an evening or weekend longer ride (yes I know it’s 4 bolts)

You don’t have to remove it, just ride with it and fly past people as a flex.

But this is why I have multiple bikes, different uses at different times. I don’t want broken glass from my commute in my fast tyres either.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I've literally never had an issue with gatorskin sidewalls in like, 10-12,000 miles I don't even know how that is possible to damage them

I'll accept my 10w loss for the 1.2 miles each way to daycare and back, the lovely tires on the toddler trailer is probably 10x worse

Put better tyres on your toddler trailer then! I got sick of punctures on my Chariot so it's got 20" Marathons now.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The only realistic solution is to buy another bike

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Topeak makes a few, but they're aimed at the MTB market. I don't know how well they'd do with other kinds of bikes.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Skarsnik posted:

The only realistic solution is to buy another bike

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

is wearing a full face helmet all the time gauche?

it seems uh

really smart?

since I like my teeth and my chin. are MIPS helmets the good standard of helmet technology now?

bicievino posted:

Bro get yourself a tracklocross bike.
And then post sweet pictures of it.

I’m intrigued by this idea

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
AFAIK this is a pretty good rating of bike helmets:

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Mountain bike helmets have a bit more coverage for the back bit of your head I think? Some wrap around all the way but idk how many are rated by V Tech.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wolfs posted:

There are budget friendly(er) single speed bikes that have larger tires that'll help with lovely roads or gravel.

wolfs posted:

My interest in fixed/single gear is because I’m concerned about the bike falling and the fancy derailleurs and shifters getting damaged.

Yeah, the shop was right about a department store bike. It's a trap to get into a $300 bike that has very little serviceability.
A decent budget bike is gonna be $600 or so. Probably +$100 if you want 8 speeds, another $100 if you want 9 speeds.

There's some truth that a single speed bike will have fewer things to break and have lower operating costs, but you should test ride both kinds if possible.
I would avoid a fixed gear bike mostly for the reduced versatility. It's nice to coast sometimes, even on float road. With single speed, coasting means you can run a slightly easier gear for better acceleration and not have to pedal the whole time a high speeds.

Depending on the bike you get, you could have the option to swap between single speed and fixed.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Yeah, my single speed is this one with "wide riser" bars, and I can run it single speed or fixed. I did fixed for an afternoon. My knees, feet, ankles, legs, and brain didn't enjoy it.

I've ridden this thing on 10 miles of country-road-grade chipseal, and it was surprisingly capable. But, this was on top of a levee and totally flat. Riding on bigger, chonkier gravel requires more pedaling effort than going the same speed on pavement, so being able to go to a lower gear is a huge advantage. This is especially true if you're talking actual country roads with fields on one or both sides, because the wind can be particularly annoying on those stretches.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Rode 20 miles yesterday. It was a cool chill ride. However they are all in stupendous shape and were bad about only slowing down until I caught up, then speeding up again. Didn't happen much until the end, but still, poor form! Probably would have been fine were it not for a sinus infection setting in.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Friends or a randos group? Organized rides usually have a specific pace, and may or may wait for you to keep up ("no drop" or "drop"). Slower groups are usually more accommodating, but faster groups will expect you to know what you can do and maintain the pace line. Slower groups are excellent for motivating you to improve and push yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Friends. Wasn't paced or organized or anything like that.