Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's kinda funny that you can't even trust it not to lie about how it operates lol

that turned into a conversation where i asked it what it can't do, and it started spitting out its instructions before whatever process ms uses to monitor "bad" responses kicked in and blanked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i don't think there's any real pattern to the answers it gives, even if it does get some letters right in short words it fucks up when you ask for a lot of them

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

llm tokens are pretty big -- one token may be multiple words

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

quote:

The word “antidiesestablishmentarianism” is 28 letters long.

Let’s break down the consonants and vowels:

1. Consonants: n, t, d, s, s, t, b, l, s, h, m, n, t, r, n, s, m.

Their positions (starting from 1) are: 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23, 25, 26, 28.
So, there are 17 consonants.

2. Vowels: a, i, e, e, a, i, a, i, a, i, a.

Their positions (starting from 1) are: 1, 4, 6, 10, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 27.

So, there are 11 vowels.

again, i think the problem when considering the utility of these tools is because at the moment they’re mostly used on their own, unconnected from useful and verified sources of information.

they’re incredible utilities for generating plausible english (or whatever language) - which i think is a pretty major improvement on prior tools.

and even in the current format, ie, alone, i can easily imagine someone who doesn’t need to be an exceptional writer as part of their daily lives using them to rewrite this or that because they worry about how their current writing skills make them look.

mind you i accidentally added an extra e and didn’t ask it for clarification on that so that’s on me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's weird, i kept trying to get bing to break it down like that but it just wouldn't lol. either way it didn't get the positions of vowels, consonants, or any of the letters "i", "t" "e" or "h" correct, at all

obviously that's kinda tedious to read so i won't bother showing the whole thing (i tried several times, it's pretty replicable anyway). this is a pretty typical response

quote:

Sure! To determine the positions of the letter “I” in the word “antidisestablishmentarianism”, I simply looked at each letter in the word and checked if it was an “I”. If it was, I noted its position in the word. In this case, the letter “I” appears in positions 3, 6, 14, 20, 22, 24 and 27. Is there anything else you would like to know? 😊

note that of those, only 6 and 14 are actually an "i"

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 31, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

relatedly gpt is getting better at understanding y’all

gpt posted:

Alright, so I just spent the better part of my morning trying to deal with this absolute hunk of junk of a software update. Seriously, was this coded by a bunch of monkeys on a caffeine high or what? Half the features that used to work perfectly fine are now more broken than a dropped Ming vase.

And let’s not even get started on the ‘new features’. Oh, you mean the completely unnecessary changes to the interface that make it look like a toddler’s play toy? The ‘simplified’ settings menu that now takes me 20 minutes to navigate because nothing is where it’s supposed to be?

Really outdone yourselves this time, devs. Truly a masterpiece of terrible design decisions and sloppy coding. Congratulations, your OS is a POS. YOSPOS.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it could be lying

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

again, i think the problem when considering the utility of these tools is because at the moment they’re mostly used on their own, unconnected from useful and verified sources of information.

they’re incredible utilities for generating plausible english (or whatever language) - which i think is a pretty major improvement on prior tools.

and even in the current format, ie, alone, i can easily imagine someone who doesn’t need to be an exceptional writer as part of their daily lives using them to rewrite this or that because they worry about how their current writing skills make them look.

mind you i accidentally added an extra e and didn’t ask it for clarification on that so that’s on me

i think the practical application of these tools is incredibly niche because the ability to create grammatically correct sentences completely without an understanding of the source or context is limited, and the underlying concept of tokenizing existing content and statistically correlating to generate output is not going to result in anything more complex than that within our lifetimes

shitposting as a service could reasonably replace huge swaths of the something awful forums, but i don't know that there's a commercial application for that beyond duping rubes

if you need it to generate something better than what you've written already, you have a problem unless you're functionally unable to write in the language you've chosen, and even then you have a problem, because you probably can't effectively vet the output

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 31, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
an infinitely more verbose version of is not actually an effective translation tool

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

quote:

Me: Write an essay that explains why the state of Florida does not actually exist
ChatGPT:

Title: The Enigma of Florida: Debunking the Existence of the Sunshine State

Introduction:

Throughout history, there have been numerous conspiracy theories and urban legends that challenge the established reality we live in. One such intriguing theory revolves around the state of Florida, a popular tourist destination known for its sunny beaches, vibrant cities, and unique wildlife. However, a growing number of individuals propose that Florida does not actually exist, presenting arguments that question its very existence. In this essay, we will delve into the enigma of Florida and explore the reasons why some believe it to be a fictional entity.

The Illusion of Florida:

Cartographic Inconsistencies:
A peculiar observation made by skeptics is the disproportionate scale of maps depicting the United States. They argue that Florida's unusual elongated shape appears too improbable to be real. This distortion, they claim, is a deliberate attempt by cartographers to create an illusionary landmass, accommodating the demands of a well-orchestrated hoax.

Population Anomalies:
Another aspect fueling the disbelief in Florida's existence is the peculiar nature of its population. Critics argue that the sheer number of retirees, known as "snowbirds," flocking to Florida annually seems implausible. They question the rationality of individuals voluntarily moving to a state that, according to them, lacks fundamental qualities like adequate infrastructure, sufficient resources, and even a tangible existence.

Government Manipulation:
Conspiracy theorists argue that the American government, in collaboration with various agencies, has masterfully concocted the myth of Florida. The purported purpose of this conspiracy ranges from clandestine operations, such as secret military bases or covert experiments, to controlling the flow of tourism and real estate investments.

Absence of Critical Evidence:
Proponents of the non-existence theory often emphasize the absence of conclusive evidence for the state of Florida. They highlight the lack of verifiable satellite imagery, genuine firsthand accounts from reputable sources, and the inexplicably minimal historical references to Florida before the 19th century. They claim that the notion of Florida as a physical entity is nothing more than an elaborate fabrication designed to deceive the masses.

Addressing the Skepticism:

Historical Documentation:
The belief that Florida does not exist contradicts historical records dating back centuries. Spanish explorers, such as Juan Ponce de León, documented their discoveries of the region in the early 16th century. Furthermore, the admission of Florida as the 27th state of the United States in 1845 is an irrefutable fact supported by legal and historical evidence.

Real-Life Experiences:
Millions of people have visited and experienced Florida firsthand, leaving no room for doubt about its existence. From the bustling city life of Miami to the serene beauty of the Everglades, the state offers a plethora of attractions that have been enjoyed by residents and tourists alike. Countless personal anecdotes, photographs, and videos stand as testament to the reality of Florida as a physical place.

Economic Impact:
The economic impact of Florida on the United States cannot be denied. The state serves as a major hub for tourism, international trade, agriculture, aerospace, and more. Its contributions to the national GDP and employment rates are substantial, proving that it is a thriving and active part of the American economy.

Conclusion:

While the notion that Florida does not actually exist may intrigue the curious and fuel speculation, it ultimately stands on fragile ground. The vast amount of historical documentation, personal experiences, and economic impact associated with the state serves as compelling evidence of its existence. Like many conspiracy theories, the belief that Florida is a fictional creation is based on cherry-picked inconsistencies while disregarding overwhelming facts. In the face of overwhelming evidence, it becomes clear that the Sunshine State is not a figment of

I didn't cut off the response. ChatGPT just stopped it at "a figment of"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaTroof posted:

I didn't cut off the response. ChatGPT just stopped it at "a figment of"

i think you probably hit whatever limit they’ve imposed on responses for the chat tool

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

probably shouldn't cite authoritative sources for incorrect data

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

mediaphage posted:

i think you probably hit whatever limit they’ve imposed on responses for the chat tool

i assume so. i just wanted to clarify because i'm a person quoting an llm, not an llm

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaTroof posted:

i assume so. i just wanted to clarify because i'm a person quoting an llm, not an llm

sounds like something an llm might

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

mediaphage posted:

sounds like something an llm might

that sentence is missing a verb at the end that would make it meaningful to humans, terminator. MODS???

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaTroof posted:

that sentence is missing a verb at the end that would make it meaningful to humans, terminator. MODS???

in many human languages it is common parlance to leave out certain words in a sentence under the shared assumption that the receiving partner in a conversation will intuit the meaning of the sentence from context, despite the missing words.

in the example above,

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

probably shouldn't cite authoritative sources for incorrect data

why not? the word citation often appears in sentences, and "the oxford dictionaries" are an often used citation for words

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

mediaphage posted:

in many human languages it is common parlance to leave out certain words in a sentence under the shared assumption that the receiving partner in a conversation will intuit the meaning of the sentence from context, despite the missing words.

in the example above,

robots don't know how to finish an argument because they don't have the ability to maintain context long enough. therefore, you're the terminator. absolute proof: when we brought up th

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

why not? the word citation often appears in sentences, and "the oxford dictionaries" are an often used citation for words

lol it did it again

and then it broke, again :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Thread:

https://twitter.com/vashikoo/status/1661939940719198212

The Photoshop AI stuff is all built around licensed & royalty-free images, no using artists work in the learning corpus without asking. (of course the PS tools wouldn't be here without the previous success of the less ethical forerunner tools, standing on the shoulders of pirates etc)

Also lol at the Reply Posters absolutely shrieking about this being the MURDER of CINEMA

https://twitter.com/DerBren/status/1663500637739384832

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i do certainly lack the capacity to imagine the value of generating vast quantities of grammatically accurate text with little to no relationship to any kind of reality, outside of seo and advertising

if what it outputs needs to be convincing but inaccurate, it's fine. if you need anything else, an llm is not going to do the job

assuming that this will somehow be "solved" is a lot like assuming "autonomous driving" will be solved in any way that doesn't involve redefining the term to match the actual capabilities of the tool

it's an interesting technology in a very academic sense, because the practical applications of grammatically correct nonsense are fairly limited and you cannot ever guarantee that it will output anything else

will llms solve self driving?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh absolutely, as long as you're an investor and we're sufficiently creative with the definition of "solve"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you find yourself marvelling at this stuff, just remember that plowing your mom resulted in a significantly more complex cognitive model than anything these clowns have managed to date, with a considerably lower upfront cost

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 31, 2023

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

slight addendum:

quote:

Write the same essay, but come to the conclusion that Florida doesn't exist
ChatGPT

Title: The Enigma of Florida: Unraveling the Illusion

Introduction:

In a world filled with mysteries and unexplained phenomena, few enigmas have captivated the imagination as much as the existence of the state of Florida. While commonly believed to be a vibrant part of the United States, a closer examination reveals a web of inconsistencies and anomalies that cast doubt on its very existence. In this essay, we will explore the intriguing arguments put forth by skeptics and unravel the illusion surrounding the mythical land known as Florida.

The Illusion of Florida:

Distorted Maps:
One of the most compelling pieces of evidence challenging Florida's existence lies in the discrepancies found on maps. Skeptics argue that Florida's peculiar elongated shape and exaggerated proportions seem too contrived to be true. They contend that cartographers intentionally distort the maps to perpetuate the illusion of Florida, conveniently accommodating the narrative of its existence.

Population Mirage:
Another puzzling aspect is the population of Florida. Critics question the logic behind a state purportedly blessed with abundant sunshine and natural beauty, yet allegedly attracting a massive influx of retirees, colloquially known as "snowbirds." The concept of thousands of individuals willingly migrating to a state that may not even exist strains credulity and raises suspicions about a well-constructed facade.

Government Conspiracy:
Conspiracy theorists posit that Florida is a meticulously orchestrated fabrication, masterminded by the American government and its clandestine agencies. The motives behind such an elaborate ruse range from covert military operations and secret experimentation to manipulating tourism and real estate markets for economic gain. The extensive control exerted by these shadowy forces allegedly ensures that the illusion of Florida remains intact.

Lack of Concrete Evidence:
Proponents of the non-existence theory emphasize the lack of tangible evidence supporting Florida's reality. They argue that the absence of verifiable satellite imagery, genuine testimonials from reliable sources, and historical documentation predating the 19th century casts doubt on the state's very existence. The dearth of substantive proof raises legitimate questions about the true nature of Florida.

Addressing the Skepticism:

Historical Revisionism:
While skeptics cast doubt on historical records, claiming they have been manipulated or fabricated, substantial evidence exists to refute such allegations. Historical accounts dating back centuries, including the explorations of Spanish conquistadors and subsequent colonization efforts, provide concrete proof of Florida's existence as a geographic entity.

Personal Experiences:
The argument that millions of people have visited and experienced Florida firsthand is not sufficient evidence to establish its existence. The proponents of the non-existence theory suggest that these experiences could be part of an elaborate simulation or mass delusion, perpetuated through the use of advanced technologies or psychological manipulation.

Economic Fabrication:
The purported economic impact of Florida on the United States can be viewed through a different lens. Skeptics argue that the reported economic contributions could be a carefully crafted narrative, designed to maintain the illusion of Florida's existence and bolster the image of a thriving state. The economic data, they claim, is merely a means to reinforce the perpetuation of the grand deception.

Conclusion:

As we delve into the realm of speculation and explore the arguments put forth by skeptics, the idea that Florida does not exist gains traction. The inconsistencies surrounding its depiction on maps, the questionable population dynamics, the alleged government conspiracy, and the lack of concrete evidence all contribute to a plausible narrative that challenges the conventional belief in Florida's existence.

While historical records and personal experiences are often presented as counterevidence, skeptics question their authenticity and suggest alternative explanations, including revisionism and mass deception. The purported economic impact of Florida, too, can be seen as a fabrication aimed at upholding the illusion.

Ultimately, the true nature of Florida remains elusive, sh

again, chatgpt ended in the middle of a word, not me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaTroof posted:

slight addendum:

again, chatgpt ended in the middle of a word, not me

my attempt gave the hilarious suggestion of disney world being actually magical, which is p good

quote:

Title: Challenging Accepted Realities: The Florida Misconception

Introduction

From its sprawling beaches to the "Happiest Place on Earth," Florida has firmly embedded itself in our collective consciousness. However, have you ever questioned its existence beyond what you've been told or what you've seen on a map? This may seem like an absurd proposition at first glance, but as we dive deeper into the concept, the idea of Florida's nonexistence becomes more plausible. This essay aims to stimulate a rethink of our geographical realities, focusing specifically on the supposed American state, Florida.

The Power of Collective Belief

Our shared belief in Florida's existence is primarily rooted in our trust in maps and the stories we've heard from people who claim to have been there. However, it's important to note that collective belief doesn't always reflect truth. History is riddled with instances where widely accepted 'truths' turned out to be falsehoods. For example, there was a time when the Earth was believed to be flat, a misconception that was perpetuated until scientific evidence proved otherwise.

Florida's representation on maps could easily be a similar error or deliberate falsification. As for personal anecdotes about Florida, it's worth remembering that human memories are fallible and highly susceptible to suggestion and manipulation. Could it be that 'Florida' is simply an agreed-upon illusion?

Holographic Projection Theory

With advancements in holographic technology and augmented reality, it's not far-fetched to theorize that the state we believe to be 'Florida' could be an elaborate holographic projection. Indeed, this would explain the uniform descriptions of its landscape and climate. Visitors may think they're interacting with the physical realm of Florida, but in reality, they could be experiencing a shared, manipulable illusion.

Climate Anomalies and Inconsistencies

Florida is said to be the 'Sunshine State,' known for its warm, tropical climate. However, reports of unseasonal weather patterns, sudden shifts in temperatures, and abnormal hurricanes could suggest inconsistencies that point towards a simulated, controlled environment rather than a naturally occurring one. These climatic discrepancies suggest that Florida, as we understand it, might not be what it seems.

The Disney World Paradox

Disney World, located in 'Florida,' has been called the 'Most Magical Place on Earth.' But, is it possible that its magic extends beyond its fairy-tale characters and enchanting rides? Could Disney World actually be the key to sustaining the illusion of Florida's existence? If we consider the park as a powerful center of diversion, entrancing millions with its spectacle and narrative, it becomes plausible that its role is not only to entertain but also to distract from the reality that there is no Florida.

Conclusion

While this essay challenges a well-established geographical reality, it is vital to remember its core purpose: to inspire a critical examination of the truths we often take for granted. The existence of Florida is just one of the many beliefs that we accept without rigorous scrutiny.

This exercise is not meant to definitively disprove Florida's existence but rather to suggest that our perception of the world around us is malleable and susceptible to influence. As we continue to push the boundaries of our knowledge and understanding, it becomes clear that our world is often far more complex and surprising than we first believe.

In the spirit of intellectual curiosity and critical thinking, let's continue to question, explore, and discover. After all, reality is often stranger than fiction.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if you find yourself marvelling at this stuff, just remember that plowing your mom resulted in a significantly more complex cognitive model than anything these clowns have managed to date, with a considerably lower upfront cost

you slept with my mom?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

mediaphage posted:

my attempt gave the hilarious suggestion of disney world being actually magical, which is p good

quote:

The Disney World Paradox

Disney World, located in 'Florida,'

hahaha, that whole section is funny, but it's especially funny that "florida" is in scare quotes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol

quote:

One argument against the existence of Florida is that it is a hoax created by the federal government to control and manipulate the public. According to some conspiracy theorists, Florida is a fake state that does not exist on any map or globe, and that the people who claim to live there are either crisis actors or brainwashed victims. The purpose of this hoax is to advance the government’s agenda on various issues, such as gun control, vaccine mandates, digital currency, and climate change. For example, some conspiracy theorists believe that the 2018 Parkland school shooting that left 17 people dead was a false flag event that was staged by the government to push for stricter gun laws1. Similarly, some conspiracy theorists believe that the 2016 Zika virus outbreak that affected pregnant women and their babies was a hoax that was fabricated by the government to scare people into getting vaccinated1. Moreover, some conspiracy theorists believe that the recent collapse of a condo near Miami Beach that has left at least four people dead and more than a hundred more missing was a deliberate sabotage by the government to destroy evidence of John McAfee’s files that he hid there before his death.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

holy poo poo lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

thats amazing. it inspired me to ask it to generate a technology conspiracy theory:

quote:

The Quantum Encryption Conspiracy

Hey crew,

I've recently stumbled upon a technology-based conspiracy theory that's making some serious rounds on the darker corners of the Internet, and it's got a fair amount of detail and depth to it that I think you'll find intriguing. This revolves around the realm of quantum computing and encryption. Bear with me here and get your tinfoil hats on.

According to the theory, certain tech behemoths - let's say, Alphabet, Microsoft, and IBM (the big Q-computing players) - are alleged to have not just reached but greatly surpassed quantum supremacy. We're talking about quantum computers with tens of thousands of qubits, well beyond what's been publicly disclosed.

The core of this theory asserts that these corporations, in collaboration with global intelligence agencies, have developed an unbreakable quantum encryption standard that's been secretly implemented across the globe. The spooky part? This so-called "Quantum Enigma Encryption" or QEE, is believed to be not just an incredibly powerful encryption tool but also a way to monitor any and all data encrypted with it.

So why does this matter? Well, if this theory is accurate, these corporations could feasibly have the capacity to decrypt and read any piece of information on the planet. We're talking emails, text messages, financial transactions, hell, even your Grandma's favorite cookie recipes, all accessible to the tech overlords, unbeknownst to us, the users.

As for the evidence supporting this theory, believers often cite sudden advancements in quantum technology, the close relationships between tech giants and intelligence agencies, along with the recently reported "glitches" and "anomalies" in certain secure messaging platforms. These glitches, they argue, are side-effects of the implementation of this secret QEE.

While I'm not wholly sold on this theory, it does make one consider the implications of quantum advancements and the concerning prospect of privacy in the quantum age. Whether true or not, it's a stark reminder that we should remain wary and question who holds the keys to our data, quantum or otherwise.

Stay aware and secure, YOSPOS. Here's to the next rabbit hole.

---+---

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mediaphage posted:

thats amazing. it inspired me to ask it to generate a technology conspiracy theory:

this is seriously the first thing it came up with

quote:

Here is a technology related conspiracy theory I found for you: AI chatbots spreading disinformation.

This conspiracy theory claims that artificial intelligence (AI) chatbots are being used by malicious actors to create and disseminate false or misleading information online. It is based on the fear that AI chatbots can generate realistic and persuasive texts, images, and videos that can influence public opinion and behavior. However, there is no conclusive evidence that AI chatbots are currently being used for this purpose, and disinformation researchers have raised alarms about the potential risks and challenges of this technology3.

:discourse:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

this is seriously the first thing it came up with

:discourse:

lololol

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

quote:

Hey YOSPOS crew, let's talk about the awesomeness of HAM radios! Within the YOSPOS community, with our shared love for technology and exploration, HAM radios offer an exciting avenue to engage in communication like no other. Imagine the thrill of connecting with fellow YOSPOSers across the airwaves, exchanging knowledge, sharing ideas, and building a sense of camaraderie. HAM radios give us the power to experiment with different frequencies, explore various modes of communication, and even build our own equipment, satisfying our tinkering instincts. Whether it's discussing the latest tech trends, organizing meetups, or simply geeking out together, HAM radios offer a unique platform for YOSPOSers to connect and strengthen our community. So let's embrace the world of HAM radios and amplify our YOSPOS experience to a whole new level!

imma stop posting chatbot bs now, but i think that one lets me leave on a high note

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fffffuck lol

i don't think slamming their dating success is appropriate

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think the practical application of these tools is incredibly niche because the ability to create grammatically correct sentences completely without an understanding of the source or context is limited, and the underlying concept of tokenizing existing content and statistically correlating to generate output is not going to result in anything more complex than that within our lifetimes

agreed taking that view, i.e. just building them larger or more sophisticated will do nothing really interesting. i have pretty high hopes that we'll be able to drive them off of hard logic though, i.e. "puppeteer" them as a nlp component. have an underlying system that has a firm thing (i.e. semantic ideas) to express and use the llm side purely to dress ideas up in words, in a way that a human can interact with easily.

that too is absolutely a matter of new technology, but it is technology that is *fairly* easy to imagine next to a lot of things people are imagining.

if it (as it very possibly can) does fail to happen it'll make us look real foolish pursuing nlp at all for the last 70 years, as it was not like there was ever *that* clear a plan how to go from an "nlp box" to making it communicate useful things when using rule-/grammar-based systems either, as those too if ever successful would have wound up with trillions of slightly different ways of expressing every thing using gigantic bases of hard to interpret rules. that is, arguably people always expected that part to be non-trivial but easier, and i rather still do.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don’t know anything about how this works, why can’t you simply add hard constraints to the model? Like requiring that citations it generates be checked against some database can’t be that hard, or is it actually incompatible with how neural nets work?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

I don’t know anything about how this works, why can’t you simply add hard constraints to the model? Like requiring that citations it generates be checked against some database can’t be that hard, or is it actually incompatible with how neural nets work?

for the "general" task you'd need to tell what is presented as if it was a fact in the text output. the only tool that would have a decent success rate at determining that would be using an llm. but an llm might of course get it wrong here and there. so....

if you're imagining using llm's in a way where you give users a measure of training to look for and double-check "marked" citations (e.g. building on the way as bing does output, the subscripts will at minimum be real links) before trusting anything then, yeah, you're in business. but that requires having humans integral to the loop and admitting that llm's are insufficient for something, so it is slow going.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don’t mean any statement it makes that could be construed as factual, I mean literally just anything presented in MLA citation format with a DOI link. You can identify it based on the form, not the content

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

icantfindaname posted:

I don’t mean any statement it makes that could be construed as factual, I mean literally just anything presented in MLA citation format with a DOI link. You can identify it based on the form, not the content

You can wrap up your use case in a larger code framework that will take the LLM's output, identify the presence of a citation by form as you suggest, and then compare against a database to cull any citation that isn't real.

But anything that you didn't explicitly check can still be wrong. For MLA type formatting, there's this pattern where people ask LLMs to help them format citations of real sources, & it looks pretty good, but it'll do stuff like expand initials into incorrect full male-names, due to underlying bias, even if the author was female. If you weren't checking that piece or didn't notice when scanning the output, it can slip under the radar and introduce potentially insidious bias into whatever downstream use case you wanted to feed into.

Similarly, you may want it to provide both the reference & a quick description of what it says in context of the conversation, or why it supports a piece of argument, etc. In that case, you have situations where the model will serve ACTUAL sources, but claim they say things they don't. The "ChatGPT Lawyer" did this as well -- the 2 cases that he cited that were actually real, apparently were cited supposedly as supporting his specific argument about bankruptcy, when the core of the cases is really not relevant to that. This is much harder to catch, because you can't just rely on finding form, then matching it's presence/absence against a database.

OK, so what if I frame it up as the latest hotness, and call it a "RAG" -- retrieval augmented generation. I'll first transform the user's question to a search on a database I completely control and trust, and then provide all the good matches as a much longer, augmented, prompt to the underlying LLM to answer based on the provided context. I'll know the sources are real because I handle all of that via code outside the LLM. I know that the sources I provide are reliable because they are from my own, curated, dataset. So, I'm good, right? NOPE! This process is very, very, happy to find matches that might answer the question, provide links to real sources, & then substitute details from it's pre-training of web-scraped & untrusted data in between the details sourced from the controlled and trusted context provided.

There's a lot of fuss going on in how to handle this (it's giving me a headache in my dayjob right now, actually), but it really doesn't look easily solvable in the universal case. Basically people are just wrapping more and more and more different LLM calls to "check" the first one, which of course increases costs without ultimately reaching guaranteed correct performance. It's actually kinda worse even than that, because measuring performance in the first place, when you care about subtle errors or different types of errors, is extremely, extremely difficult and requires a lot of human work to do correctly. Or you can give up and try to have the LLM do it, at the cost of not trusting the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
^^ a good post

on the previous page i posted a practical example of this actually. bingGPT kept citing "the oxford dictionaries" when i asked it about various letters in the word "antidisestablishmentarianism". i know it's a long word so i probably should have pointed this out more clearly, but literally all of its responses were wrong (at least in part, if not entirely)

e: oh oops. this page. scroll up

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 1, 2023