Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Radiators for those kind of diesels are not flimsy, they are big and heavy and made from metals / alloys that dont rust / deteriorate due to just mere outdoors easily.

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

FirstnameLastname posted:

its not rust its patina

but it makes more sense than pulling a bunch of oldass radiators off of tanks that've been sitting on in the elements for decades to put into other, better running condition tanks that just don't have radiators (unless those ones got stolen & they didn't find out until like, now, which just occurred to me and would make sense tbh)

ok grandpa. let's get you back to cspam

Barudak posted:

I cant imagine fleeing to a sinking ship.

but if you are sinking, flotsam is a step up.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This looks more like a junkyard than anything else

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo check this out

What a weird turn. I always thought the timing of the accusation was kind of odd. Not that it happened during the election cycle but it didn't happen when Biden was Obama's running partner. I know the who Me Too movement but so many people were throwing poo poo at Obama it would be nearly impossible for rumours about Biden to circulate to cause damage to the democratic ticket.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1663601807321440263
So this is what, the fourth time you're going to strengthen air defense around Moscow and St Pete's at the expense of the front?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Look the air defense around Moscow is more a priority. The men on the front will have to deal with not having air defense. They are the toughest of gen Z,Y,X, Boomers, and Silent generation. They will make due. :ussr:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Toxic Mental posted:

they wouldn't have the turrets on with the seals on the recoil tubing and stuff, i'm pretty sure they're in storage

tiaz posted:

ok grandpa. let's get you back to cspam.
ah, an accurate read of reality. im a fricken tankie coming from cspam the forum i am a deeply affiliated poster with and I'm here to say i think they're putting radiators into the tankie instead of taking them out as some sort of russia defender thing? what are you doing with this stuff dude you are extremely off base here

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://www.businessinsider.com/seal-like-unit-leads-ukraine-fight-with-russia-near-kherson-2023-5?utm_source=reddit.com

Business Insider posted:

A secretive SEAL-like unit is leading Ukraine's shadowy battle against Russia in a vital corner of the country

Although Bakhmut and the fighting in the Donbas dominate the headlines, there has been intense but disjointed fighting around the city of Kherson in southern Ukraine.

In November, the liberation of the western bank of the Kherson Oblast and of the provincial capital, Kherson City, brought the Ukrainian military within range of the Russian positions across the river. Now the two sides are fighting a deadly battle in the islands, marshes, and inlets of the Dnipro delta.

For Ukraine, the 73rd Naval Center of Special Operations, a secretive SEAL-like unit, is leading the shadowy battle against Russia.

For months now, Ukrainian special-operations forces, including frogmen of the 73rd Naval Center of Special Operations, have been conducting riverine raids against Russian positions along the Dnipro River.

In January, for example, frogmen from the unit raided the eastern bank and took out a Russian command-and-control post. Using drones and gunboats, the Ukrainian frogmen attacked the Russians and destroyed the position before slipping away in the night.

Frogmen from the unit have also been conducting reconnaissance missions on the Kinburn Spit, a finger-like strip of land that stretches into the Black Sea where it meets the Dnipro River, south of the Dniprovska Gulf. Outposts there give Russian forces a vantage point from which to track and attack ships in the river as well as launch strikes on Ukrainian cities and ports.

Ukrainian raids help wear down those forces, but they are not simple.

"Riverine operations require a lot of coordination between the raiding and supporting elements. When you put together a bunch of heavily armed guys in the middle of the night, there is plenty of opportunity for something to go wrong," a former Navy SEAL officer told Insider.

"The guys on the ground depend on the firepower of the boat guys. But the overall commander must synchronize the two elements to prevent a friendly-fire incident," added the former SEAL, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of ongoing work with the US government.

"That being said, a properly planned riverine raid is hard to defend against," the former SEAL officer said.

Special operators from the 73rd Naval Center of Special Operations were also among the first Ukrainian troops on the famous Snake Island after Russian forces evacuated it.

A small island on the Black Sea, Snake Island had been contested for months before the Ukrainians finally liberated it in July. Combat swimmers with the unit reportedly approached the island in underwater vehicles, looking for mines or obstacles that could hinder the landing forces.

The 73rd Naval Center of Special Operations was based on the Soviet-era 17th Naval Special Purpose Brigade. Set up as a training unit, it has become known for its small-boat raids and reconnaissance missions conducted behind Russian lines along the Dnipro River.

The unit is structured on roughly the same lines as a US Navy SEAL Team and is headquartered in the Mykolaiv Oblast, just west of Kherson Oblast. It comprises four sections, one dedicated to underwater demolitions, one to clearance divers, one to reconnaissance, and one to logistical support. The unit likely has a few dozen special operators.

The 73rd Naval Center of Special Operations could play a significant role in future large-scale fighting. If Ukraine's military launches major attacks in the south, the eastern bank of the Kherson would be a likely target, but getting there would require moving troops and vehicles by boat.

To do that, the 73rd Naval Center of Special Operations would likely be sent in first to scout beaches, clear obstacles, and secure beachheads — or to divert Russian attention with raids elsewhere.

Like the 73rd Naval Center of Special Operations, most of the Ukrainian military emerged from the Soviet military. By 2014, when Russia attacked Ukraine and seized Crimea, the Ukrainian military's training, tactics, and weapons were still much like that Soviet force.

Ukrainian forces were caught off-guard and hard-pressed to deal with the crisis in 2014. Since then, Kyiv has sought to improve its military training and upgrade its hardware, working with Western countries to do so.

Ukrainian special operators also had to work hard to achieve the level of professionalism and proficiency they now display on the battlefield. With extensive Western support, Ukraine's special-operations community has come a long way over the past decade.

Ukrainian commandos are now proficient in small-unit tactics and understand the vital importance of proper mission planning. Another crucial difference is their ability to take the initiative on the battlefield.

Under the Soviet model, there was no corps of non-commissioned officers — experienced enlisted troops who often lead small units — leaving frontline troops dependent on higher-level officers for guidance. Russia's performance in Ukraine has shown the weakness of that model.

Western-trained and battle-hardened, Ukrainian special operators are a force to be reckoned with, as Russians in the islands and marshes of the Dnipro River are learning.

Also, LOL: Ukraine says it didn't do the Moscow drone attacks, but also says there will be more Moscow drone attacks

https://www.reuters.com/article/ukr...urce=reddit.com

Reuters posted:

May 30 (Reuters) - A Ukrainian presidential aide denied Kyiv was directly involved in a drone attack on Moscow on Tuesday, but said Ukraine was enjoying watching the events and predicted an increase in such attacks.

Russia said Ukraine had launched its biggest drone attack on Moscow but that air defences destroyed all eight of the drones.

“…regarding the attacks: of course we are pleased to watch and predict an increase in the number of attacks. But of course we have nothing directly to do with this,” Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak told the “Breakfast Show” YouTube channel. (Reporting by Tom Balmforth and Kyiv newsroom; editing by Timothy Heritage)

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

Just dusting off a few cobwebs / salvaging expensive metals, don't worry.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol the guns are rusting out on some of these. Sure sealant and whatever but lol if you think these things are combat ready 100% just LOL

And also, LOL if you think these are going to be more than As one goon said 'moving' you are betting on the wrong horse.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
those tanks are very clearly being stripped. also judging by the camo, the photo can be 30 years old.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Spending 50-70 years out in the Russia winters and elements in the forest: Ready To Go!!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

More of a salvage yard. Those T-62s are parked in fairly neat lines, tampions fitted on the end of the barrels, hatches closed, and turrets facing the same direction (presumably to allow easy access to maintenance hatches and to save space).

The T-62 was produced in huge numbers and used for a very long time. At a certain point new production of parts wasn't needed because so many of them already existed. Rotate older tanks to storage yards, sort them by variant, and start stripping components to keep newer tanks running. This can be done on an as-needed basis or as part of an ongoing program.

Take radiators and coolers. They are relatively fragile and placed close to the outside of the compartment for airflow reasons. While not exactly a wear item, the radiator is prone to damage and will eventually get clogged up and need replacement and/or refurbishment. Depending on the design they can be rebuilt with new cores and end tanks, further extending their lifetime. It makes sense to recycle them back into service.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Toxic Mental posted:

Spending 50-70 years out in the Russia winters and elements in the forest: Ready To Go!!

All Russia needs is some of these bad boys and they are back on schedule:

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Vakal
May 11, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

More of a salvage yard. Those T-62s are parked in fairly neat lines, tampions fitted on the end of the barrels, hatches closed, and turrets facing the same direction (presumably to allow easy access to maintenance hatches and to save space).

The T-62 was produced in huge numbers and used for a very long time. At a certain point new production of parts wasn't needed because so many of them already existed. Rotate older tanks to storage yards, sort them by variant, and start stripping components to keep newer tanks running. This can be done on an as-needed basis or as part of an ongoing program.

Take radiators and coolers. They are relatively fragile and placed close to the outside of the compartment for airflow reasons. While not exactly a wear item, the radiator is prone to damage and will eventually get clogged up and need replacement and/or refurbishment. Depending on the design they can be rebuilt with new cores and end tanks, further extending their lifetime. It makes sense to recycle them back into service.

I prefer to believe that the two men in the picture are just going to build a fort.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Come to think of it he might also be joking that the people in the picture are stealing all the radiators out of these things.

Most likely to turn into alcohol stills.

A very common practice.

So I think what he really meant is how many radiators do they have left after these things have been sitting for 50 years with different guard rotations going through all of them.

The army would have you call this, Rat loving.

I remember reading Demon in the Freezer and there’s something in there about the author or someone going to inspect a Russian bio-weapons facility where they made weaponized smallpox during the Cold War, and when he got there the dudes working there had like dumped all the smallpox somewhere and turned the bio-reactors into vodka stills.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

what are you doing with this stuff dude you are extremely off base here

I guess it left a bad taste in my mouth when you showed up in the opening of this iteration of the thread to lecture us all about how mobiks are actually human beings and really morally equivalent to the Ukrainian civilians being murdered/Dresden firebombing civilian victims and War Bad, and so I was less disposed to be charitable towards you now dying on the hill of rusted out radiators actually being installed to recondition some utterly clapped-out hulks in a field rather than recovered for some other more productive purpose.

I didn't write your post history, and while I don't think I'm that far off base in view of it I don't mean to continue this slapfight. I think you're wrong about the radiators but I can't prove it. :cheers:

Vakal posted:

I prefer to believe that the two men in the picture are just going to build a fort.

at last, synthesis :yaycloud:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

William Bear posted:

Yeah, that struck me as pretty tacky.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1663634596498481154

What a weird story, though.

Going to join the great minds of the Russian military intelligence community at Blyatchley Park

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vakal posted:

Ah, Fort Rusty Razorwire. Takes me back to being a teenager. Riding around in a fried out Cutlass Supreme, skipping school to yank parts off of lovely Pontiac 307s, smoking weed in the hulks of old school busses, and playing with the ancient Rottweiler. It's amazing what some old couches rescued from the bottom of a creek can do to really bring together a junkyard's decor.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Gosh, wouldn't it be something if the chud/tankie exodus started up in earnest?

We should be so lucky, but how many people have actually truly defected?

Shitheads like Segall still have their original citizenships, Snowden was essentially forced to stay in Russia when China got tired of harboring him. Waaaay different than soviet engineers and scientists fleeing to the West and making a true living there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

Gosh, wouldn't it be something if the chud/tankie exodus started up in earnest?

Many such cases!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Toxic Mental posted:

Next on the Discovery Channel- our two teams have to make one working T-62 out of this junk yard.

The winners get sent to the Ukrainian front.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
srry i keep coming back to radiators but this photo intrigues me for some reason.

this radiator is like big enough for a small truck.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Sad. Had no idea that Rich Evans was a tankie.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
these, the ones in the back are like a tractor trailer.

the big ones in front are like t-65 sized

e: t 62 or whatever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Comstar posted:

Next on the Discovery Channel- our two teams have to make one working T-62 out of this junk yard.

So do the losers.

And the film crew.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

What are these people going to do for money in Russia? You can only put them on the news talk show circuit so long.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

motorocker posted:

these, the ones in the back are like a tractor trailer.

the big ones in front are like t-65 sized

e: t 62 or whatever

I think the bigger things are fan assemblies.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Joke Miriam posted:

What are these people going to do for money in Russia? You can only put them on the news talk show circuit so long.

That was my first thought. You get your 15 mins of useful idiot... and then what??

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Deki posted:

We should be so lucky, but how many people have actually truly defected?
Virtually zero Americans, I'd imagine, but don't have anything to back that up. Low double digits, if that? Unless the Russian propaganda apparatus is paving your way or you already have connections, it's probably not happening. Meanwhile, there's been tens of thousands of Russians understandably trying to find refuge in the US since the start of the war.

If I had more time in the day, I'd make some troll accounts encouraging emigration in chud/tankie spaces.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

ah, an accurate read of reality. im a fricken tankie coming from cspam the forum i am a deeply affiliated poster with and I'm here to say i think they're putting radiators into the tankie instead of taking them out as some sort of russia defender thing? what are you doing with this stuff dude you are extremely off base here

To be fair, you've been saying a lot of really dumb poo poo

Nowher posted:

That was my first thought. You get your 15 mins of useful idiot... and then what??

Military could use some fresh faces, seems like

Molothecat fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 31, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Virtually zero Americans, I'd imagine, but don't have anything to back that up. Low double digits, if that? Unless the Russian propaganda apparatus is paving your way or you already have connections, it's probably not happening. Meanwhile, there's been tens of thousands of Russians understandably trying to find refuge in the US since the start of the war.

If I had more time in the day, I'd make some troll accounts encouraging emigration in chud/tankie spaces.

Goodness knows Russia might want to do so, considering their demographic concerns that were established BEFORE this debacle.

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat

madeintaipei posted:

I think the bigger things are fan assemblies.

nah, the fans are behind it connected to the driveshaft assembly.

more than you ever thought you wanted to know about a t 62 https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/2015/12/t-62.html

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

motorocker posted:

nah, the fans are behind it connected to the driveshaft assembly.

more than you ever thought you wanted to know about a t 62 https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/2015/12/t-62.html

Neato!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I think I'd enjoy a job in a field taking parts off of military equipment and stacking them in neat piles.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
they have babushkas sitting on fishbricks knitting wiring harnesses for the refurbished tanks

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Comstar posted:

Will it be Igor Girkin's Scrap Heap Henchmen? or will it be Yevgeny Prigozhin's Metallic Musicians? find out now, on Junkyard Wars: the Vatnik Edition!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

William Bear posted:

Yeah, that struck me as pretty tacky.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1663634596498481154

What a weird story, though.

We can mock Reade for this latest move, but she still made credible accusations about sexual assault against Biden before she picked up her new friends. Considering they're probably the only people who treat her nicely compared to the poo poo thrown at her by the Democrats.

Just uncomfortable with anyone saying this clearly means she must have been lying about Biden. It seems a few of the left fringe go down this path (Greenwald, for example) but they didn't start there.

Sorry if this comes across poorly, just I believed her about Biden enough to think her claims clearly didn't get the proper investigation, so while she's ended up here, I still think the system squashed her for complaining about him.

Ed: not saying OP did this, just a general comment on Reade

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

they wouldn't have the turrets on with the seals on the recoil tubing and stuff, i'm pretty sure they're in storage

You know what the classic said:

Any sufficiently poorly run storage is indistinguishable from a junkyard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Rust Martialis posted:

We can mock Reade for this latest move, but she still made credible accusations about sexual assault against Biden before she picked up her new friends. Considering they're probably the only people who treat her nicely compared to the poo poo thrown at her by the Democrats.

Really it just seems like the strangest possible destination

https://twitter.com/YourAnonCentral/status/1063675570167238656

Well, maybe she wants to try and make things better there? The press conference was pretty long so I didnt watch most of it