Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Dogen posted:

Are you partying the push? I assume you can dodge the ground pound, but can’t remember.

I party the push all the drat time :toot:

Ninja edit failed ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Speaking of late-game spoiler fight, I like that his fighting style is pretty true to the original trilogy, being a bunch of deliberate heavy strikes rather than the flashy acrobatic stuff in the prequel movies. It looks like they took a lot of inspiration from kendo.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gordon Shumway posted:

So I'm post-game now, and after repeated trips to the saloon, Caij still won't give me the last few bounty hunter quests. Is it just bugged out or is there anything I can do?
don't think it was mentioned over the last few pages, but the 1.4 and/or 1.5 patches seem to have busted the bounties entirely for a lot of people, cross-system, including me (on ps5) - defeated the first story-related guy, got the notice to talk to Caij in the bar, and... nothing. she gives some dialogue about me helping her, but the bounty board won't unlock, the Rumor to talk to her is still on the hud even after i've exhausted her dialogue, first bounty won't spawn even if i look up spoilers on their location and go there etc.

people have been reporting it for a week or two now, guess we just gotta hope they patch it at some point, ugh.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Finished the game. This is probably my fav piece of modern Star Wars media next to Andor, and a worthy successor (at last) to Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Just great stuff, a shame I won't be able to buy the third on release because of the absolutely dreadful technical issues here.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Tarezax posted:

Speaking of late-game spoiler fight, I like that his fighting style is pretty true to the original trilogy, being a bunch of deliberate heavy strikes rather than the flashy acrobatic stuff in the prequel movies. It looks like they took a lot of inspiration from kendo.

Yeah I think they were inspired by Rogue One here, and I like it.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Finished the game. This is probably my fav piece of modern Star Wars media next to Andor, and a worthy successor (at last) to Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Just great stuff, a shame I won't be able to buy the third on release because of the absolutely dreadful technical issues here.

It’s wild that the technical issues are “same as the first game, but worse somehow”

Like, you’d think the sequel on the same engine they’d have figured some poo poo out

Dogen fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 31, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Dogen posted:

It’s wild that the technical issues are “same as the first game, but worse somehow”

Like, you’d think the sequel on the same engine they’d have figured some poo poo out

I think the technical issues make some sense when factoring in the series' leap to the next (now current) console generation. It's always a risk, even with good project management. Compare Sony Santa Monica's approach with GoW & GoW: Ragnarok, where the most obvious visual upgrade is being able to play at 60 FPS (at least most of the time).

Not saying one is necessarily better than the other; I just think it's more complex than carrying over an engine from one game to another (which by itself is non-trivial).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

Are you parrying the push? I assume you can dodge the ground pound, but can’t remember.

I did not know you could parry the push. Do I need to do a push of my own?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Soonmot posted:

I did not know you could parry the push. Do I need to do a push of my own?

Nah just parry normally with the saber and you are much less affected by pushes. I say parry because I feel like the timing is important but maybe holding block would have the same effect, although I’m unsure.

Also you might be able to push back, I’ve not tried- but there is an ability that’s like “push as you are about to get hit” which maybe could proc in this situation if you had it?

Dogen fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 31, 2023

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

Nah just parry normally with the saber and you are much less affected by pushes. I say parry because I feel like the timing is important but maybe holding block would have the same effect, although I’m unsure.

Also you might be able to push back, I’ve not tried- but there is an ability that’s like “push as you are about to get hit” which maybe could proc in this situation if you had it?

I don't know if Cere has the same abilities as Cal. I assume not since I didn't put any points into single saber and she has some tricks she can do with that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Soonmot posted:

I don't know if Cere has the same abilities as Cal. I assume not since I didn't put any points into single saber and she has some tricks she can do with that.

Yeah, all the other force wielding enemies push too though I think, so one could test it. Really my main point is about being able to parry/block a push in case people didn’t know that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I gotta say, Turgle's lip syncing is really drat impressive.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Fuzz posted:

I gotta say, Turgle is really drat impressive.

FTFY

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just had a conversation where Turgle accidentally(?) got an Imp officer eaten by a rancor. Turgle is good.

I think I've done all the post game exploring I want to do. I'll save everything else for NG+.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 31, 2023

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
After another 15 minutes I just dumped difficulty down to story mode. If this had been an optional boss, I probably would have kept at it, but having no choice but to do nothing but this fight everytime I wanted to play just killed my desire to play.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

...! posted:

Needed to be a Turgle boss fight imo. They missed an opportunity by not having him team up with the two Oggdos

Why would he team up with him? They are his underlings.

To use an analogy:

Oggdos - Inquisitors
Little frog in Doma's shop - Darth Vader
Turgle - Emperor Palpatine

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Replaying Fallen Order before I get to this, I was wondering if Merin or any of the crew members are more involved in the plot? I think they are pretty interesting in the first one and gave me Mass Effect vibes but of course they don't interact with you or the plot too much.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Ulio posted:

Replaying Fallen Order before I get to this, I was wondering if Merin or any of the crew members are more involved in the plot? I think they are pretty interesting in the first one and gave me Mass Effect vibes but of course they don't interact with you or the plot too much.

You will be well pleased with Survivor. You seem to have insulated yourself quite well from spoilers, so I’ll just say that.

Also, I should replay Fallen Order.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It would be funny if there was a boss fight with Turgle, but because of some stupid reason / scenario that Turgle came up with, but he was also the hardest fight in the game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Turgle the Door Maintenance Shift Supervisor.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The fight seems like a comedy until he finds his shell. Then phase 2 starts and he suddenly pushes your poo poo in. :getin:

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!

Soonmot posted:

After another 15 minutes I just dumped difficulty down to story mode. If this had been an optional boss, I probably would have kept at it, but having no choice but to do nothing but this fight everytime I wanted to play just killed my desire to play.

I reached a point during some battle, don't remember which, where I said out loud "this isn't actually fun" and I bumped the difficulty down and never looked back. My real life is stressful enough that I'm totally ok with lowering the difficulty in something that I'm doing to have fun with my free time

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!
Also I really just completely loved this game. Really brought back the fun I had playing Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight (and Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy) to the point where I immediately jumped into NG+ after beating it and have been having an absolute blast tearing through things and picking up on bits that I missed the first time around. Really just a fantastic Star Wars adventure that has me pumped for more, and wishing that I could have my own little BD-1 droid buddy!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Turgle the Door Maintenance Shift Supervisor.

its turgle in a massive unstoppable robot that is immune to force powers, and lightsabers.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

chaoticgeek posted:

I reached a point during some battle, don't remember which, where I said out loud "this isn't actually fun" and I bumped the difficulty down and never looked back. My real life is stressful enough that I'm totally ok with lowering the difficulty in something that I'm doing to have fun with my free time

gently caress, yeah, dude, I never play these games on hard mode. I just want to experience my 80 hour movie over the course of a month. I’m super lovely at the puzzles and platforming, so just getting around is my Grand Master mode.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I enjoy overcoming a challenge.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I wish I could adjust enemy aggression, incoming damage, and parry timing individually because if you dial the difficulty down sometimes the enemies become too passive. It would be nice to be able to get a bigger parry timing or less incoming damage without making the enemies so passive you have to stand around for 5 seconds to get them to attack you.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

SirSamVimes posted:

I enjoy overcoming a *~challenge.

Post/user title combo.

Also, Sir Vimes, daily life is an Oggdo Bogdo duel to get out of bed and face The Imperial March!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Soonmot posted:

I don't think it would have been as bad if you weren't forced into a different skill tree. That entire section felt like the devs were ordered "you must have this fight in the game" and so they had to find a way to get it to work.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Calax posted:

I don't think it would have been as bad if you weren't forced into a different skill tree. That entire section felt like the devs were ordered "you must have this fight in the game" and so they had to find a way to get it to work.

That's a great point too, I was dual blades/ double blade at the start and swapped to Pistol/ Two handed as soon as I unlocked them and used those two the majority of the game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Honestly the Vader fight should have just let you lose and advance the plot normally. Cere dies anyway, and it's not like the player is super invested in the fight to begin with because you're on a new character with a new moveset rather than the one you'd been developing for the past 30+ hours at that point. Throw in a cheevo for winning maybe

If they ever do another challenge arena like the first game, it would be cool to re-do the Vader fight with all of Cal's toys though

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Stats are up. Honestly surprised at how popular single saber is and how unpopular blaster/crossguard are

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

It makes sense, crossguard is relatively harder to use because you can get interrupted out of your swings so requires more patience & timing. And blaster is fun and wild but ultimately not as effective as single or dual.

Edit: And you know I was rocking crossguard/blaster bb

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Note that those stats are as of May 5th, i.e. a mere week after the game's release.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

How did that many people claim bounties when they've been broken every goddamn patch?

In playthrough news, I'm just gonna not do this double rancor force glowy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Deformed Church posted:

How did that many people claim bounties when they've been broken every goddamn patch?

In playthrough news, I'm just gonna not do this double rancor force glowy.

If 3 million people played up to the very first bounty which is story required then there would be 3 million bounties collected. Pretty low given there are like 16 bounties to claim, which makes sense since its broken.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat I guess I was basic as hell with my white lightsaber (I changed a couple times but went back to white).

Red on NG+ though.

Most popular hair/beard is weird. Did they not count the default? If not, still surprised something like clean shaven wasn't more popular.

I didn't like any of the alternate hair, so I went with the default (and later the hair from the first game, which is very similar). And clean shaven because Cal looks kinda weird with a beard.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Where's everyone pulling these stats from?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

drat I guess I was basic as hell with my white lightsaber (I changed a couple times but went back to white).

Red on NG+ though.

Most popular hair/beard is weird. Did they not count the default? If not, still surprised something like clean shaven wasn't more popular.

I didn't like any of the alternate hair, so I went with the default (and later the hair from the first game, which is very similar). And clean shaven because Cal looks kinda weird with a beard.

White lightsaber just feels right, for some reason. There was a visual glitch that was causing lightsabers to radiate/reflect the wrong color in cinematic sections. Basically, call holding a red lightsaber, but blue light was shining off his face. That’s a feature, not a bug, and I want to see it in a movie or show.

Also, windswept hair/full beard Cal is heroic as gently caress.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, windswept hair/full beard Cal is heroic as gently caress.

I have tried to use other haircuts/beard combos and I simply cannot. This is now my head canon Cal combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/jerktweets/status/1653571855620657152

Manbun until I got BETRAYED then punished Cal with headband :colbert:

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 1, 2023