Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

The Muppet Christmas Carol callback :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gamer Chicken Run, let's go.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
You could have given me a thousand guesses to predict who was going to turn up next and I would never have said Gamer Ginger from Chicken Run. lmao

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

currently working on the jojo/rear end mashup. drawing inspiration from some legendary jojo meme panels from parts far in the future. no spoilerinos.

e: god drat plume has a dick nose lmao

CrocodileKingSaysNO has a new favorite as of 03:03 on May 31, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

And a quick lil bonus panel, the actual translation of one of Joseph's panels because I like it so much

Its amazing how I can hear him yelling "OOOH NOOO" in my head just looking at this panel.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Boo to no much much chako, but yay for more Q-Rais

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

#4: Silliness - More Failure

#5: Silliness - Hi, Failure!

#6: Silliness - Possible Issues Here

In which we meet our protagonist for the moment. Polka is a super badass prototype terminator with weapons and powerful attacks better than ever other robot in the series, who is quippy and genre-savvy exactly the opposite of all that.

The characterization for the doctors is basically a copy of bob and george at the moment, eventually most of this early section ends up getting soft-retconned.

#7: Silliness - More Possible Issues

#8: Silliness - Talking To Himself

#9: Silliness - Intelligent Design

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't know how it could work that way, it's baffling. But I'm glad it does!!
Plus, if the regular kind works for you, it functions as a fun instant migraine simulator
You cross your eyes until you see triple, and the middle one works just like the traditional magic eye style of unfocusing but inverted. Takes less time and practice to do than the "just unfocus your eyes into the distance and hold it somehow!" method plus it's a great trick for quickly solving "find the differences between these pictures" games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FFT posted:

plus it's a great trick for quickly solving "find the differences between these pictures" games

I was so proud of myself when I realized this as a kid while figuring out eye muscle functions in the Magic Eye heyday. An entire genre of puzzles, instantly rendered obsolete!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

alt: what Ragdoll's doing here is "hanging a lampshade", which is different from the meta crap McBell pulls. Ragdoll runs into the fourth wall on accident, while McBell does it on purpose TO HUMILIATE ME

alt: sometimes you gotta carpool with someone who almost killed you once, that's the gig economy for you baby.

alt: Life hack- people can't tell if you're being sinister if your face ALWAYS looks like that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
God I remember the Chicken Run PS1 game from when I was a kid.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Here's the pyf comics Green Girl Grid! Wakako isn't technically a green girl, but the food goblin absolutely is, and is basically the thread mascot at this point. Also I was very close to replacing the failed "teen rock lesbian in the Ironheart style" picture with a big black square and the word "nope"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This is pretty great. I kinda crave a green foodie lesbians comic now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wakako-Saya will definitely be the subject of my nightmares, thank you.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Wakako-lesbian made me laugh, it's so delightful

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If I wasn't already really attached to my birbs, I'd probably make wakako-style rock teen my av.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Goddamn it, Tree, how the hell do you do it?!

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Samovar posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tunicate posted:

The characterization for the doctors is basically a copy of bob and george at the moment, eventually most of this early section ends up getting soft-retconned.

I was wondering that. Although I gotta say, 'Welp, the entire day's work was a wash, let's go get drunk' sounds like one of those things a couple of programmers would absolutely do on the regular.

There's been some fun takes on Wily and Light, the Archie comics in particular come to mind as giving them a funny dynamic. Wily and Eggman also had an entertaining villainous friendship based on genuine shared interests.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tough act to follow! Here's what I've been working on, read right to left!

Couldn't settle on a consistent jojo-ified look for Plume so I kept him cartoony compared to Shim and Rum. Hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I enjoyed making it.

(Agent Rum totally knows the ways of the Backlicker, go with it)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think Tredlocity rock girl is my favorite, and then all the thorsbys (thorsbies? thorsbren?)

e:

Couldn't settle on a consistent jojo-ified look for Plume so I kept him cartoony compared to Shim and Rum. Hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I enjoyed making it.

lmao fantastic

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Here's the pyf comics Green Girl Grid! Wakako isn't technically a green girl, but the food goblin absolutely is, and is basically the thread mascot at this point. Also I was very close to replacing the failed "teen rock lesbian in the Ironheart style" picture with a big black square and the word "nope"

I adore your work, you're an inspiration to me to keep drawing and creating

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

My favourites are Saya in verdant lesbian and Wakakoserie Koga-san.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Samovar posted:

!!!

A good day for the best thread.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hogback Saga

Gunnar says goodbye. I'm going to start posting these as they were updated, or broken into smaller chunks. Dickie tends to upload in smallish batches and I don't want to have to keep track of the notes. Patreon kind of works as a comic archive, but not gracefully. This is my compromise.

quote:

As part of the terms of settlement Gunnar agreed to give over his eldest son Brand as a hostage to King Dyfnwal who he is now leaving at the royal hall at Partick.

In Norse myth Ymir was the primeval Ice giant that Odin and his brothers slew at the beginning of time. With his body they created the world humans inhabit (Midgard, the middle enclosure) his blood became the sea, his skull the sky, his brains the clouds

Brand is holding a small sacred figure inspired by a viking age find that can now be seen in the museum at Copenhagen. There have been many of these small personal figures found a lot of them I believe to depict Thor including the one here but I imagine others could also be more localised gods or ancestors or other beings that served as good luck charms or for prayer or even as multi use for game pieces as well.

Theres a good paper that mostly focuses on Thor but also goes into these small figures and their mentions in the sagas that can be read on the Viking Society for Northern Research's site

http://www.vsnrweb-publications.org.uk/Text%20Series/Thor_the_Windraiser/Thor.pdf

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

There we are, slightly anticlimactic as promised, though with a slightly ominous bait and switch moment. Surely anyone who's built as many robots as Hazakura has had a thought of two about the possibility of her creations rising as one to destroy her though. We're only two thirds of the way through the chapter though, what else is going to happen?

I thought this bit was cute.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Forgot to say, I like this ANSU a lot.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 06:44 on May 31, 2023

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ANSU is visual puns, and I really enjoy that fact. I'll admit that it isn't something I miss when it's gone, but I'm really glad it exists and that it's being shared here.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - Issue #3: "There is a Raptor in My Office"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

:eyepop:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was wondering that. Although I gotta say, 'Welp, the entire day's work was a wash, let's go get drunk' sounds like one of those things a couple of programmers would absolutely do on the regular.

There's been some fun takes on Wily and Light, the Archie comics in particular come to mind as giving them a funny dynamic. Wily and Eggman also had an entertaining villainous friendship based on genuine shared interests.

Drunken shenanigans can be fun to write, bob and george managed some fun moments with that dynamic, so I see why ferret jumped on it at first.

and

The 'programming master when tanked' line is the one I actually remembered... 20 years later? Gosh.

According to the bob and george annotations, apparently after after that conversation wily doesn't actually try taking over the world, which is a funny detail.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That bottom row is great.

But you did forget the green beans :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hempuli posted:

Just casually rewriting the notebook's identity

yeah this is pretty horrifying. destroying his personality and memories and putting part of someone else's on there, not even sure they're correct :gonk:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I guess, that really doesn't bother me, they forgot everything every 30 minutes anyway.

I have noticed though. people seem to have hang-ups about their personalities and the idea of them being changed. But me, I couldn't give a poo poo. If I could change my personality I likely would, at the very least tweak myself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

well both have already been kidnapped by the airplane's owner to fly and collect money. its probably something fairly common.

And sure beats dying in a crash

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
In the land of the living notebooks, the person with a permanent marker is king

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

KennyMan666 posted:

But you did forget the green beans :v:

okay fine

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Exquisite.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Perfect.

By popular demand posted:

Soon the thread would be all mine!

You say that, but I've only got 18 more days of WZ after this post. I did just find out there's an official English translation effort available online. They're up to... Chapter 6. Yes, chapter 6. Fair while to go, but then they only started this year.

https://www.azuki.co/series/wakako-zake

Emzedoh posted:

Wakako-Zake 50th Night: Buttered Corn

Wakako-Zake 51st Night: Goya Chanpuru

Okinawa is somewhat distinct from the rest of Japan, probably because it was cough "incorporated" much later. Not too different from the USA/Hawaii situation, I think.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Jun 1, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yakuza substory twang each time the food goblin settles on what she'll eat today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I really like Hogback. I feel like the artist is improving too- I love how the ancestors' faces become less personalities and more masks as they recede into the past beyond memory....

Emzedoh posted:

My favourites are Saya in verdant lesbian and Wakakoserie Koga-san.

Is that legit Japanese? Sounds better that way.

Samovar posted:

I don't know, I don't know. I look at a bunch of stuff and then pictures happen.
I'd love to hear from other draw-ers about what it feels like to make pictures. Don't know if my "compost heap" method is normal or not.

Feeling torn. Yes, the backlicker panel is repulsive, but on the other hand, Plume kind of deserves it!?
I like how he still looks awkward even in the ultimate power stance in panel three

I adore your work, you're an inspiration to me to keep drawing and creating

Aw, thanks so much, that's such an amazing thing to say to an art nerd!!