Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Deki posted:

You know, those coworkers who still have to work for a living, because he Zuckerberged them on the multi-billion dollar minecraft sale. Yeah, no poo poo they're going to be mad when you're not even willing to part with 10% of your dragon hoard to split with the people who actually did the work on the game the previous few years...

I just don't understand what drives a person to do this.

You can't realistically spent $1 billion in your lifetime, let alone several. Why not raise the people who helped you up with you, especially if you want to remain on friendly terms with them? Why gently caress them over for an amount of cash that ultimately means nothing to you, because all it will do is sit in various accounts and accrue more interest than you can ever spend.

But maybe that's one of the many reasons I'm not rich.

A few years ago, I had a (not particularly close) friend approach me for a business opportunity in which he will front the upstart cash, and I would write pretty much all the software. The idea was terrible (basically LinkedIn, but an app) but I humored him up until he explained the proposed profit split. He would own 95% of the company because he is the one putting up the cash. I get 5% because all I'm really doing is coding. At least he was honest about intending to gently caress me over, I guess.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

The Bible posted:

I just don't understand what drives a person to do this.

You can't realistically spent $1 billion in your lifetime, let alone several. Why not raise the people who helped you up with you, especially if you want to remain on friendly terms with them? Why gently caress them over for an amount of cash that ultimately means nothing to you, because all it will do is sit in various accounts and accrue more interest than you can ever spend.

But maybe that's one of the many reasons I'm not rich.

The more I see with Elon and his ilk, the more I'm glad I'm not rich. There's miles of difference between being happy & normal and fulfilled and just hoarding all of this cash to the point where you can't even be a human being anymore. I'm not a wealthy man, but I have people who love me and care about me and that's miles above these people.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Data Graham posted:

The more of these things I see, where people are talking earnestly about "piercing the veil" and "accurate summaries" and "low level of reasoning" and so on, the more I wonder whether I've made some sort of terrible error in judgment and I've missed something all these people see as self-evidently as we see the things we see

But it's ... it's just ... not

Anybody who refers to "the masses" is a person so far up their own rear end they're not worth worrying about. Bonus points for the Steve Jobs profile pic.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The more I see with Elon and his ilk, the more I'm glad I'm not rich. There's miles of difference between being happy & normal and fulfilled and just hoarding all of this cash to the point where you can't even be a human being anymore. I'm not a wealthy man, but I have people who love me and care about me and that's miles above these people.

Can't you have both, though?

Like, let's say a mere $50 million, with the bonus being that all these people who threw in with your startup are also being set for life. Hell, you're still friends with them, and together, maybe you can all accomplish even more together if you wish? Or just retire if you don't?

I mean, okay, Elon Musk and Joe Rogan won't think I'm cool. Oh no, but I'll find a way to deal with that, I'm sure.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

grittyreboot posted:

Snoop Dogg invited Notch to smoke weed with him and Notch turned him down

Gotta be kidding me.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

The Bible posted:

Like, let's say a mere $50 million, with the bonus being that all these people who threw in with your startup are also being set for life. Hell, you're still friends with them, and together, maybe you can all accomplish even more together if you wish? Or just retire if you don't?

I mean, okay, Elon Musk and Joe Rogan won't think I'm cool. Oh no, but I'll find a way to deal with that, I'm sure.

No!!! Others want to steal my precious.... they're nasty little..... oooh Elon hates them!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

The Bible posted:

Even if it was just because Microsoft gave stock to employees as a perk, it makes Bill Gates seem far more human than guys like Zuck, Musk, or Notch because pretty much everyone who came up with him in the early days of Microsoft became fabulously rich, and by all accounts Bill thought that kicked rear end.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Gotta be kidding me.

It's true. All of it.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's true. All of it.

This makes me want to check out the list of people who have smoked with Snoop Dogg, Wikipedia. That might be a good one for chat GPT.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

Wait, he thinks the AIs are woke? Are you loving serious?

Holy poo poo this clown is a mental case: just complete obsession

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Yes, dreaming up scenarios where the only way to solve a crisis is to use a racial slur for reasons... what are these loving people?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

not many people know that in terminator 2 skynet was actually given an option to not launch nukes if it would only respond with the n-word

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
People who think "no you can't say slurs" is an actual civil rights crisis, and are real mad this somehow gets them treated as unserious.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they're not even mad about "no you can't say slurs" - they're mad that their microsoft clippy assistant is designed to not drop the N word because children might be using it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

They're mad that it is getting marginally easier for non-whites and women to become more successful than they are.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ben shapino posted:

Some very good tweets being posted that definitely don't make me want to die

Never want to die yourself, always want Musk to die.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Elon stans are so embarrassing! It's like: dick ride much? haha

Let's make fun of them

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Elon stans are so embarrassing! It's like: dick ride much? haha

Let's make fun of them

Looking into it

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Interesting :thunk:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1663599965698916371

take him down AOC

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

grittyreboot posted:

Snoop Dogg invited Notch to smoke weed with him and Notch turned him down

I actually don't blame Notch on this one.
If Usain Bolt called me up and asked to have a race I'd probably say no to that too.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Musk is neuro-divergent.
Why do so many try to turn him into a bad guy.
His mind is like a network of energy flow and design. His engineering capabilities are otherworldly and he has immense teams of individuals who are highly qualified and motivated to carry out his projects.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kru posted:

Musk is neuro-divergent.
His mind is like a network of energy flow and design. His engineering capabilities are otherworldly and he has immense teams of individuals who are highly qualified and motivated to carry out his projects.

It's very nearly true;

He had immense teams of individuals who are highly qualified and motivated to carry out his projects.

Then he fired them all to cut corners.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah surely civil court will put a stop to this!!!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

kru posted:

Musk is neuro-divergent.

Lol that his simps equate "nuerodivergent" as inherently cool and good

It's agnostic and wildly frustrating for all stake holders with niche but novel and significant benefits if accounted for

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Musk isn't Neurodivergent he's a loving idiot sex pest nazi

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Quote-Unquote posted:

Qft

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Neurodivergent people can also be tremendous idiot Nazi assholes.

I do wonder, legally, what she can do. While parody is one thing, this seems to be outright impersonation and I’d think Twitter would kibosh this poo poo lest it happens to a politician in their pocket.

Now, what I think and what Elon thinks, if you can call it that, are quite possibly lightyears apart.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

how can it be fake tho it's got a blue check

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Quote-Unquote posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

Neurodivergent people can also be tremendous idiot Nazi assholes.

I do wonder, legally, what she can do. While parody is one thing, this seems to be outright impersonation and I’d think Twitter would kibosh this poo poo lest it happens to a politician in their pocket.

Now, what I think and what Elon thinks, if you can call it that, are quite possibly lightyears apart.

Nothing, Elon made comedy legal, remember.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Nothing, Elon made comedy legal, remember.

but clearly not mandatory, as proven by the bluechecks

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Imagine having enough money to hire world-class posters to run your social media, and whip your army of rabid moron fans into a frenzy and dunk on Bezos and Biden and all your other posting enemies.

And then letting the world know that you're much, much stupider than almost anyone, because you can't stop dribbling amphetamine fueled Nazi brain diarrhea into your phone.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I loving despise Bill Maher, just pure condensed smug dumbfuck boomer incarnate, and have no idea how that loving piece of poo poo still has an audience.

Like who the gently caress watches him, and frankly why?

He's just older Michael Tracey in every way. Pointlessly contrarian in every way. His takes on vaccines and "homeopathic medicine" made even Alec Baldwin openly call out his hypocrisy for getting vaccines on his show.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 31, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

teen witch posted:

Iirc is there not legal precedent and the literal exact reason why verified users were created in the first place?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Elviscat posted:

Imagine having enough money to hire world-class posters to run your social media, and whip your army of rabid moron fans into a frenzy and dunk on Bezos and Biden and all your other posting enemies.

Browsing this thread gets real tiring with all of the imagining people are insisting I do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AOC gonna follow the Tony Larussa playbook

But this time Elon will just say ":elon:"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

She should challenge him to a fistfight.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember how rapidly and fundamentally it seemed like the world was changing back when the Internet was first taking off? When we could chat with people all around the world, or we could blog and get big audiences for writing dumb jokes, or we could build websites for nothing? Computers were getting twice as fast every year and there was always something incredible and new right around the corner. You could set your watch by the release dates of the next generation CPU or iPod or game. Wikipedia etc meant all human knowledge was at our fingertips and "not knowing something" was a thing of the past. It felt like something new was dawning and we were all part of it

Apparently these AI dweebs are desperately hoping to be involved in some kind of transformative event the way they feel like they missed out on being involved in the heady days of the growth of the Internet. They might deep down be skeptical that this wave of AI is actually going to turn out to be anything more interesting than the funny predictive text Seinfeld episode generators of yesteryear, but hey, better be all-in just in case it does turn out to be the Singularity or whatever after all, right? Better latch on to Elon and stack all your chips on him so people tomorrow at least think you tried and were cool, and weren't some sort of old grumpy naysayer. Ride or die

FOMO is a fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

TulliusCicero posted:

I loving despise Bill Maher, just pure condensed smug dumbfuck boomer incarnate, and have no idea how that loving piece of poo poo still has an audience.

Like who the gently caress watches him, and frankly why?

He's just older Michael Tracey in every way. Pointlessly contrarian in every way. His takes on vaccines and "homeopathic medicine" made even Alec Baldwin openly call out his hypocrisy for getting vaccines on his show.

I forgot where it was posted but it's been heavily implied that maher has no voluntary live audience. Other shows like the late night stuff, Trevor noah and so on will get people on an audition to get into the audience. but maher requires his team posting on sites like Craigslist offering money to join a "political talk show" without naming him in order for people to attend