Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Two videos on how the British police should be more brutal. With the same demeanor and voice he uses to make fun of titty simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

fez_machine posted:

I'm genuinely curious, why is your mom watching Call of Duty streamers? From your regdate it seems like she'd be a few decades off from the type of person who watches CoD streams.

Like I said earlier, she's in her late 60's and is a huge Halo fan (pretty certain she has at least a hundred-plus hours into Infinite), and she gets every CoD that drops. Shooters are her thing, she's always liked watching and playing them

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's a streamer I follow whose mom pops in chat (He's around 32 years old) sometimes and will do Jackbox streams with him, so the idea of crossgeneration streams isn't exactly new!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

In regards to worldbuilding, I think there was criticism about Final Fantasy XIII where they threw terms like "fal'Cie" or "l'Cie" at us constantly when the game started and we had no idea what any of them meant, and all the backstory that explains this was hidden away in some lore index you had to search for in your menu.

FFXIII's problem was that it had no access character to have all that poo poo explained to them for the sake of the player's understanding. That's why FFX's story and world work, because Tidus is a complete newcomer to it, so when everyone is explaining everything to him, they're explaining it to the player at the same time. All of XIII's characters have lived in the world their whole lives and don't need stuff like fal'Cie or l'Cie or Cie'th explained to them because it would be like explaining what television or the internet or cell phones are to your neighbor or coworker.

The thing is XIII ironically DID have an access character, Vanille, but the fact that she's not from Cocoon is supposed to be a secret for most of the game, so a lot of players don't even tweak to it until like 10 hours in, because she rarely asks questions about the world and the things and people in it or plays coy when confronted about her lack of knowledge of Cocoon society because she doesn't want to reveal that she's from Pulse.

Final Fantasy XIII is definitely a game better appreciated the second time through it when you know who's who, what's what, and what's going on, but it takes a special kind of person to even want to try and play it a second time after getting through it the first time.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
In which Brutalmoose watches Paul Blart: Mall Cop once a day for a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uns7stJLJ4g

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Kunster posted:

Two videos on how the British police should be more brutal. With the same demeanor and voice he uses to make fun of titty simulator.

To be fair that guy sucks

Which seems to be a consistent issue with people. They see someone who sucks and go "wait, why is that guy, who sucks, allowed to get away with these things? We clearly need a system that brutalizes everyone" and then it all goes downhill from there.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’ve finished it and by like halfway through you can pick out what they’re talking about. They just named them too similarly for some reason so it scrambles your brain for awhile.
That reminds of of Divinity: Original Sin I & II
Sorcery, the casting of spells and usage of magic: perfectly normal in the setting.
Sourcery, the usage of (tainted) source magic: Very rare; basically a taboo due to past events.

Shinji2015 posted:

Very possible, especially if he dislikes CoD as much as I think he does.

If it helps, my mom is in her late 60's and has been a gamer all my life. When she was pregnant with me (I'm her oldest and in my 40's), she used to make my dad take her to a local bar all the time just so she could play Donkey Kong there.

Her all-time favorite series is Halo, and all she watches on Twitch is either art streams or various FPS shooters
Your mom sounds like she owns. :3:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I am 80% of the way through DOS2 and hadn't noticed any usage of the sorcery spelling one. They've always called the normal guys wizards or mages. Unless that was a change for the definitive edition. Either way it's very silly to take a Pratchett pun and make it a serious plot point

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Kunster posted:

If you are talking what I think you are talking about
I believe it was more about the British law system being hilariously lax on twitch criminals like Mizzy who invaded people's homes, stole dogs and threatened people for a laugh.
Or at least thats what I thought he was saying. He might have used tonedeaf wording either way.

That does not excuse his take on the idubbz situation though.
It feels more like Charlie has a weird vibe for youtubers in general since often defends MrBeast as well.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah it's the Mizzy thing everyone is covering. I dunno, i can see "oh, suddenly a bunch of extremely beloved youtubers could approve of us getting more power and becoming more brutal" on the eyes of Suella Braverman (Or Keir Starmer) going horribly, horribly wrong.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfyxIPCCshY
Better Than Food is shorter reviews of exclusively books that he think are really good. i don't watch him a lot because i feel like his vibes are off, but he did get me to read A Cup of Rage, which ruled, so i gotta link him. one read = one link. simple math. also i gotta make up for all the negativity that almost everyone else in this post puts out.

I was really interested in watching Better Than Food until I saw his glowing recommendation for Jordan Peterson's Maps of Meaning. That might help explain the off vibes.

Motto posted:

He likes the trashy stuff and makes easy digs at shows nobody cares about or is popular but widely criticized and is also pretty dumb. He once made a video titled "how this indie company DESTROYS bethesda at worldbuilding" and it was about falcom. a publicly traded corporation with a decades of history of mistreating workers until they mass exodus.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Anyone who wants to know what good worldbuilding is should look at the Trails series, because it also has good characters that make you care about the world they're in.

Bakeneko posted:

This. The amount of detail that goes into those games is amazing, both for major characters and even the minor NPCs you never have to talk to.

LOL.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

everyone knows the only jordan peterson books worth reading are the ones based on a quora post.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
As long as we're talking about jorp, that YTP guy I posted earlier really seems to hate him in a great way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-xtUEGjOI

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Solitair posted:

I was really interested in watching Better Than Food until I saw his glowing recommendation for Jordan Peterson's Maps of Meaning. That might help explain the off vibes.

LOL.

Calling them indie is pretty lol, but after researching it, it looks like the exodus happened all the way back in the 80's and can be singularly pinned on a guy named Masayuki Kato, who was their president at the time (he no longer is).

https://www.timeextension.com/features/flashback-poor-pay-underage-staff-and-no-credits-digging-into-falcoms-dark-past

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

when i first played final fantasy xiii when it came out i didn't know about the codex so it took me far too long to realize Pulse was a location and not a descriptor

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sardonik posted:

As long as we're talking about jorp, that YTP guy I posted earlier really seems to hate him in a great way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-xtUEGjOI

It's also kind of funny that during the AI video saga he did, Jorps actually quickly developed into the most sympathetic and level-headed character of the bunch between him, Joe Rogan and Ben Shapiro. It was absolutely insane hearing Jordan Peterson's voice saying things that didn't make him sound like an insane rear end in a top hat wannabe supervillain, but then again that's the power of AI I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgmuYy_CK3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhekF0ZF1Pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPnF1hkoqAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZUb5mmvyw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
making content much?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

making content much?

no just rewatching old Steve1989MREInfo videos

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Alaois posted:

no just rewatching old Steve1989MREInfo videos

this dude owns

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
*mouth full of 20 year old military ration* yeah thats a good ration right there

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this dude owns

he fills me with a strong desire to eat biscuit crackers and canned meat

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Solitair posted:

ah hell. always trust the vibes

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Watched Steve eat hundred year old bully beef from the Boer War. He's a psycho and I love it. Plus his reviews of sixty year old cigarettes lmao

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
They should sell that MRE jalapeno cheese dip in stores. But maybe that'd be like selling state secrets

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Quinns108/status/1663169180303085568

Two and a half hours about Disco Elysium? Yes, please!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Solitair posted:

LOL.

I don't see what worker exploitation has to do with the quality of a setting tbf

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

SimonChris posted:

This is a great video totally worth the 2:30 hours. I also appreciate the acknowledgement that he dropped the ball in one of the interviews, even if it sadly was the interview where not doing that would have been the best.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Hel posted:

This is a great video totally worth the 2:30 hours. I also appreciate the acknowledgement that he dropped the ball in one of the interviews, even if it sadly was the interview where not doing that would have been the best.

As someone who is interested in this but has plans to play the game, so I need to worry about spoilers?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Brocktoon posted:

As someone who is interested in this but has plans to play the game, so I need to worry about spoilers?

I haven't played the game, but nothing came off as spoilers, it doesn't really discuss the game at all outside of some of the people referring to characters they enjoyed writing.
They use the game for background sometimes but nothing that seemed spoilery, didn't read the text super close though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzM1CV6xx_4

This is extremely Youtube content imo.

Why yes, I am interested in watching a train cab ride video of a city someone built in Cities Skylines, what else am I going to do? 330 000 people agree.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

it's not actually about disco Elysium, it's about the legal drama playing out by the lead creative team and the guy who now owns ZA/UM. there's some character names mentioned but no plot

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Regarding the new Defunctland, calling "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" as "The Most Australian Song ever" is certainly...one thing you can say about it. Perhaps not a detour to be made when talking about The Wiggles though.

To weird not to share, but it turns out Rolf Harris died the day after the Defunctland video came out.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

To weird not to share, but it turns out Rolf Harris died the day after the Defunctland video came out.

thats good

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
they're clearly correlated, seeing the video destroyed him

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thought the thread might enjoy this, a brief history of charity telethons. Particularly the short lived ITV Telethon and its terrible treatment of disabled people which may have ended up spawning the British disability rights movement. Also briefly features Rolf Harris to hold thread relevance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0hc-n61WA0

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

njsykora posted:

Thought the thread might enjoy this, a brief history of charity telethons. Particularly the short lived ITV Telethon and its terrible treatment of disabled people which may have ended up spawning the British disability rights movement. Also briefly features Rolf Harris to hold thread relevance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0hc-n61WA0

This is good, although he could do with editing some of the pauses out. Definitely appreciate him just putting the boot into people that deserve it when they appeared (except Cila Black, who deserves both barrels too)

Also got thrown for a loop by the credit to Ken Morse for Rostrum Camera work, because I immediately remembered the Big Train sketch about him. Is he the only Rostrum Camera operator alive? Is he cheaper than I expect? Is it just for his archived work? Just a reference to Big Train?

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

SimonChris posted:

Quick glance through replies, half of them are going "wow, great job piecing together a complex and nuanced narrative and the other hald are savaging them for 'being spineless', 'bothsidesing IP theft and Kurvitz being a dick to work with' and 'bootlicking capitalists'. Not fully sure which is the 'more correct response', though I think most folks can agree on the 3 points:

1) IP Theft sucks rear end, even if the person you're stealing from is an rear end in a top hat

2) Kurvitz was likely a jackass to work with (though I notice folks have a lot of skepticism with the documentary's framing of him as this, seeing it as a hatchet job to make the IP stealers 'look good')

3) the workers screwed under Kurvitz' thumb and likely under new management are the biggest losers and also most sympathetic.

More discussion at the game thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3963700&pagenumber=232&perpage=40#post532162330

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
A weird quick game of scrabble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJIAlRSs214

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Shinji2015 posted:

Very possible, especially if he dislikes CoD as much as I think he does.

If it helps, my mom is in her late 60's and has been a gamer all my life. When she was pregnant with me (I'm her oldest and in my 40's), she used to make my dad take her to a local bar all the time just so she could play Donkey Kong there.

Her all-time favorite series is Halo, and all she watches on Twitch is either art streams or various FPS shooters

before my dad passed away in 2019 he told me he would watch people play fortnite on twitch. he never played video games past like, tetris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is good, although he could do with editing some of the pauses out. Definitely appreciate him just putting the boot into people that deserve it when they appeared (except Cila Black, who deserves both barrels too)

Also got thrown for a loop by the credit to Ken Morse for Rostrum Camera work, because I immediately remembered the Big Train sketch about him. Is he the only Rostrum Camera operator alive? Is he cheaper than I expect? Is it just for his archived work? Just a reference to Big Train?

Could also be a ref to The Fast Show! That's what always springs to mind when I think of comedies referencing old Ken.