Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also the way the EPL determines its champion is very good, but it doesn't make for compelling drama most of the time. Seems like the team had to do great basically the entire season because otherwise it's not believable they could be in the running. Plus seems to me like this season would be a resounding success for Richmond in real life even if they didn't win the league title, so that drama is gone too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Also the way the EPL determines its champion is very good, but it doesn't make for compelling drama most of the time. Seems like the team had to do great basically the entire season because otherwise it's not believable they could be in the running. Plus seems to me like this season would be a resounding success for Richmond in real life even if they didn't win the league title, so that drama is gone too.
Avoiding relegation would have been good enough drama, but I’m pretty sure a few of the writers literally don’t know that it’s a thing.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

they don't know about season 1?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Scott Forstall posted:

Ted leaves, Roy and Nate and beard coach the team to a nail biter finish, winning with a Lasso Special.

Henry finds Ted dead by self-inflicted gunshot wound.

[roll credits]
YEEEEEAA

I like to imagine that is just the opening teaser and those are the opening credits, without Ted sitting in the stand.

Relevant to Jamie accent chat, his actor is the guest on this weeks No Such Thing As A Fish and they spend quite a bit of time talking about Jamie's accent, including how much he enjoys saying poopeh.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Having two separate scenes where Jade appears to mysteriously vanish as Nate is pointing her out to people (even though in the first scene the boys asked her where Nate was and she would have left from within their eye-line, so it makes no sense that they'd think he was making her up) is definitely up there with the Van Damme namechange as a bit that has the cadence of a joke and is being repeated as if it's a joke but doesn't really seem to be doing anything other than provoking some gently bemused reactions from the cast.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jade having blank facial expressions all the time is supposed to be a joke too I guess? It's another thing that seems like it's being done as a joke, but there isn't an actual joke there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lister posted:

Jade having blank facial expressions all the time is supposed to be a joke too I guess? It's another thing that seems like it's being done as a joke, but there isn't an actual joke there.
Bad actor

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Ted Lasso Season 3: what if we made a tell about sports?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

It seems too frequent to not be intentional. But hey, maybe she was so bad at emoting that the directors think a stale performance works better than a stilted and unnatural one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They hire her like "wow she's got an incredible bit, she's just deadpan all the time"

Six episodes into filming: "um, poo poo"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lister posted:

It was a real shock when she said yes to a date with Nate because I thought she absolutely hated him up to that point.

And she would have had a lot of good reason to! He seemed like he was a bad day away from becoming a stalker.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Lister posted:

It seems too frequent to not be intentional. But hey, maybe she was so bad at emoting that the directors think a stale performance works better than a stilted and unnatural one.

It is intentional; the joke is meant to be - as with some of her phrases, like "he seems very rich" or "I'd like you to be not-here" - that she's straightforward and blunt to the point of rudeness/tactlessness/coldness in a very stereotypically Eastern European way that cuts through Nate's very English manners and nervousness. The character just hasn't been used well enough to really make something coherent out of that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
She’s not rude, she’s polish.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My mom's side of the family is all Slovak and Polish and they are exactly like that

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jade was setting up a long con of getting him to quit his team, then fired from his job, leaving him with nothing as revenge for his creepy behavior.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I hoped Jade would randomly start waving a menu through the mist whenever she got uncomfortable being around Nate. One weird trick.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Is everybody excited for Ted and JSuds to both be returned to the Divorced Dimension in a few hours?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

grobbo posted:

Van Damme namechange

Van Damme changing his name bothers me. I'm French-Canadian, with a name that often gets butchered, and I'm proud of my name. It seems out of character for him to pick an easier-to-pronounce French name, at the suggestion of someone with a kid named Smingus Dingus.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/appletv/status/1663577283150467072?s=46&t=WVceeWcLlqXlE2y7eNkQ_Q

74 minutes is probably a reference to Netherlands losing the Final in 1974

also that’s too many minutes for this show

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chamale posted:

Van Damme changing his name bothers me. I'm French-Canadian, with a name that often gets butchered, and I'm proud of my name. It seems out of character for him to pick an easier-to-pronounce French name, at the suggestion of someone with a kid named Smingus Dingus.

I thought he went with van damme because he loves the muscles from brussels though

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ilmucche posted:

I thought he went with van damme because he loves the muscles from brussels though

He does, but we never see any indication before that scene that he didn't like being named Zoreaux. I related to him constantly asking people to pronounce his name correctly. I could change my name to one that English-speakers could easily pronounce, but I haven't. So, Van Damme's name change seemed to come out of nowhere.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

That’s because in this show no choices are actually set up beforehand the characters just suddenly have a decision which is how it works in real life but not how it works in well-told stories

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah, we never see a moment of Thierry's personal life in the show. I'm French-Canadian and I used to be a goalkeeper, so I would have enjoyed seeing more of him outside of the stadium.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chamale posted:

He does, but we never see any indication before that scene that he didn't like being named Zoreaux. I related to him constantly asking people to pronounce his name correctly. I could change my name to one that English-speakers could easily pronounce, but I haven't. So, Van Damme's name change seemed to come out of nowhere.

I took it as him being really excited that he could name himself after JCVD rather than any kind of protest against the anglos. The same as if you tell a child they can be anything they want to be when they grow up they'll tell you they're going to be a dump truck or something.

It came out of nowhere because zava existed to be zany and weird then disappear into the ether after doing.... something? maybe? with the plot

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
a whole armory of chekov’s guns, unfired

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Why hasn’t this dropped yet. Rude.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Why hasn’t this dropped yet. Rude.
https://twitter.com/brendanhunting/status/1663587137433006080

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the info, to bed it is!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
its interesting to watch this two days after the barry finale because they both have similar final season structural problems; weird pacing, an absentee titular character, rushed transitions and dropped plotlines; but because barry stayed a tight-30 minute comedy and ted lasso meandering into an hour+ drama with only the occasional joke peppered amidst long monologues it really leaves you feeling totally lukewarm

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

a return to form, I think. Solid finish of an uneasy season, maybe series

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It ended I guess. I suppose that leaves it open to a new season without Ted, but I don't see the point. It was ok.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I did laugh out loud at "Assistant to the Kitman" because it was a very quick reference to a better show

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Remember when Rupert stormed down from the owners' box in his Darth Vader cape and pushed over his manager and made his balls pop out

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is the idea that you think Rebecca and Ted hosed but they actually just stayed up all night talking about him leaving or did they actually gently caress? I assume it’s the former but I just do not trust this show at all anymore

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rebecca this is literal emotional blackmail

Wait why the gently caress do I have the goddamn Snyder gangtag again

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like how, since Ted is deciding to go home, they needed to create a situation where he can get back with his ex wife, so they made the therapist guy she was dating turn into a dickbag who makes fun of the thing Henry and whatsherface are enjoying to support Ted.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Escobarbarian posted:

So is the idea that you think Rebecca and Ted hosed but they actually just stayed up all night talking about him leaving or did they actually gently caress? I assume it’s the former but I just do not trust this show at all anymore

It's a fakeout. Ted and Rebecca did neither. Beard and Jane, meanwhile, totally did bondage stuff in Beard's boss's living room.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was the guest room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol the Zorro mask got a big laugh from me