Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait so what was the point in humanising Rupert in the super league episode exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Wait so what was the point in humanising Rupert in the super league episode exactly

“What was the point” could be said for a lot of things in this show.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

It was so Rebecca could learn she doesnt care about him anymore when she rebuffed his advances. Which for me also undid any humanizing of him that might have happened that episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Generally a pretty good finale with solid endings for everyone (Ted seemingly getting back with his ex-wife is completely unearned though, if that is the case, I mean it certainly seems that he’s moving back in with her) but one that does nothing to fix the multitude of issues this season had. Thank loving god they didn’t make Nate the head coach. Sharon deserved a much bigger role in the season as a whole, that last minute “oh they hired her full-time” thing was a poor mea culpa.

The last scene with Ted and Beard was the funniest and one of the best of the season easily.

The greenscreen for Stonehenge was loving awful lol.

Truly no idea if they’re going to make the Richmond spin-off or not after that. There’s some stuff that they could follow up on but it mostly feels pretty definite. Hoping they just let it die.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
lol I completely forgot how terrible that stonehenge was. Did they hire someone who had only heard of stone henge from a friend who was half asleep?

I wonder if they wanted to have Sharon in the season more, but couldn't get her, so they just were able to get her into a hotel room to film some reaction shots and then built an office set to show her walking into it. What was the catalyst for even hiring her though? She had moved on, and sometimes talked to Ted. It just seems like it was something done for the fans that liked Sharon.

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!
Thoughts:

The first half hour or so was straight up bad.

The musical sendoff on the field was embarrassing to watch. Awkward at first, then just super weird when everyone freaked out when it went “perfect”.

The early (14:00 or so) Trent-to-Keeley-to-Jamie-to-Roy locker room scene was a two-minute-long continuous shot, which is loving difficult to do. Very technically impressive.

I dunno about Nate’s arc, but I definitely teared up at the locker room scene where he and Ted were talking about the sign.

Nate’s “Use Jamie as a decoy, pass it to Sam” play from S1…

S1E1 Lasso dance.

“Father and Son” at the end seemed like it was chosen for its title, and like no one involved in its choice had ever listened to the actual lyrics.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Ted missed his best friend's wedding?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

koolkal posted:

Ted missed his best friend's wedding?

well, you have to remember that these are regular people like you and me and not literal millionaires who could just hop a loving plane across the ocean as easy as I can drive to a loving gas station for a drink with the good ice

either that or the sucking black hole of gravity of raising your kid means you are now in the lifestyle of never leaving the three square miles of your small suburban neighborhood for anything ever again because you have drowned your own needs in favor of someone else's

ALTERNATE THEORY:

Check out Ted's reading material as he's flying home. It's presumably Beard's:

And then look at him stare down the barrel of the camera as oklahoma's own favorite purveyors of the hallucinogenic, the Flaming Lips kick on into the credits. Ted is tripping balls coaching his kid's team

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I just realized that Rebecca's mom is the Roy failchildren mom.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
it was fine, some good some bad but I've already forgotten chunks of it. I had been expecting another richmond player to have a boyfriend at the wedding when that scene started.

What did ted's kid say at the end when ted asked him "what do we always say?" I've run it back like 10 times and the closest I can get to words is "be a goal tender" but it sounds more like "be a gultvan" which is definitely not english

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I basically only watched five minutes of the finale but I got a hunch it will only reinforce my pre-conceived notions to anyway yeah, I think this show was riding on the notion that isn't it nice to see some positivity in TV and we basically got the american YA football fantasy version of a sports rom-com where every character is some variation of Ned Flanders, so yeah sure whatever it was fun for a bit and there were moments where it actually had things going for it that made you want to stick around just to experience the likable characters but for whatever reason season 3 is just a complete failure in execution and it really lays bare all the faults the show always had, this season really had nothing going for it other than the highschool sports tv moments with the dressing room and little character gags with the established characters.

So really, I don't know, it's obvious Sudeikis is a dumb dumb that thought that his dumb jokes are what carried the show and made people so enthused about it, I don't know. whatever.

Like the whole 'conflict' with Nathan was resolved by episode three of this season when it was obvious that Nathan himself had a turn of heart, that's just bad TV, you can't have everyone be a positive cheerful good guy and have your sole villain understand he actually acted like a dick and show how tormented he is for 8 episodes before he just apologizes and hits the reset button, like what the gently caress.

And this is without mentioning realism or verisimilitude or even the fact that the show operated on cartoon logic cause honestly that's something the show kind of embraces, I'm just asking, if the show doesn't have exciting sports drama, any meaningful plots or conflicts or any willingness to deal with 'serious' topics with any measure of depth than what does it have going for it? the levity? the silly jokes? the flanders thing? I mean sure, cool, good for them to getting people to stick around for three seasons of that, I guess.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It’s really funny to me how many appearances that the actors made at various real life soccer events over the past year between seasons, given how little the show actually cared about the sport.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh yeah, I've witnessed a centerback take an ill-advised PK in their last college game and my high school alma mater lose a playoff game because the ball went through a hole in the side netting, outside-in, so Isaac's PK brought up memories of two vastly more entertaining events.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This is where I've essentially landed on it.

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1663882183415660544?t=lhzjr1VlzoHCELofFjZ-uw&s=19

Truly odd third Season that from a writing standpoint was at times borderline incompetent. And it's not even on the level of like oh they forgot how to write jokes but instead having Nate turn villain and then almost immediately getting into his redemption. Why should I care about his dating life exactly?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This final season was so bad I may not recommended the show in general to people. Maybe I could say to only watch the first season, but no one actually does that and I really think this entire last season tarnished the rest of the show.

I never got into Game of Thrones, is this on par with that finale season? Because this may be the worst I’ve seen in a very long time.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

ilmucche posted:

What did ted's kid say at the end when ted asked him "what do we always say?" I've run it back like 10 times and the closest I can get to words is "be a goal tender" but it sounds more like "be a gultvan" which is definitely not english

I heard "be a goaltender" too, but it was probably "be a goldfish"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Really this entire show is Ben Stiller's Dodgeball but without being an intentional genre parody, the absurd humor like the pundits and broadcasters constantly saying inappropriate things is a staple of sports parodies but where most sports parodies 'commit' this show doesn't, we're supposed to take the dramatic moments seriously not as parodies, it's really weird. the show has the conceits of a genre parody while also kind of expecting you to view it as heart felt and sincere.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
It was definitely "be a goldfish".

Robobot posted:

This final season was so bad I may not recommended the show in general to people. Maybe I could say to only watch the first season, but no one actually does that and I really think this entire last season tarnished the rest of the show.

I never got into Game of Thrones, is this on par with that finale season? Because this may be the worst I’ve seen in a very long time.

No way, the last few seasons of Game of Thrones were multitudes worse than this last season of Ted Lasso. I do miss hatewatching GoT though, those were some good times at least.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Subtitles said "be a goldfish"

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Robobot posted:

Yeah, it's really frustrating because the first episode and last two of the last season are actually pretty good, or at least reminiscent of Season 1. It was a huge mistake to split the cast up as much as they did, because it meant a whole lot of B-plots that sucked time and air away from the main plot and the need to add in a bunch of pointless characters so everyone would have people to play off of. I think a skilled editor could make something watchable out of the last two seasons, at least bringing the runtime of the episodes back down to 30ish minutes (which would primarily mean cutting almost all of the KJPR stuff, a completely goes-nowhere-does-nothing subplot that ground the entire show to a halt whenever it was centered). So many terrible choices, which really sucks because the last two episodes show that they still know how to turn it on when they need to, it just feels like they couldn't figure out how to get from A to B.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
What's funny about the finale is that it isn't bad on it's own but more it literally could have happened at the end of S2 with very few changes and it would have been the same

Zava, Keeley's PR firm, Keeley's lesbian romance, Nate's quitting, Rebecca's psychic, that evil Nigerian billionaire...it all just kind of awkwardly happens and then quickly gets resolved (sometimes offscreen) to bring everyone back to where they were a season ago so they can all happily wave goodbye to the audience. So many weird, halfassed choices.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
That Stonehenge scene was one of the most badly put together scenes I've seen in a major production in many, many years lmao it just looked like complete poo poo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ted Lasso: Be a gultvan

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

For a show that's pretty much all sugar and wish fulfillment, the team really should have just won it all.

What a baffling and crazy sort of third season where whole show long storylines became condensed in like 5 minutes or happened offscreen and the Nate subplot was cured once he stopped being an incel and got a girlfriend.

There didn't seem to be any impetus to rush this show out the door unless the creators were just done with it, I can see a world where it's able to breathe some and have a normal season and continue for as long as the people in charge / Apple wanted it to. Very fitting that Bill Lawrence was part of the show, Sports Scrubs could've ran forever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
With Sudeikis wanting to be done, maybe they did get rushed. No guarantee they could get another season without Ted Lasso. Even if they did, can it be called Ted Lasso anymore? He's not in the show, it would have to be called Roy Kent or AFC Richmond or something, and that means that people might not come back to watch since it is a new name and people are stupid. So they probably wanted to get all their big ideas into the show while there still was a show. It didn't work, but whatever.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Caught up on this season right before the finale, and yeah, I agree with most of what's been said by others.

The montage of Rebecca's BIG HEARTFELT FOOTBALL SPEECH and Nate's violin had me rolling my eyes. I liked the positive weirdo energy in season 1, some of the shine came off for me in season 2, and season 3 was just a mess. A lot of it felt more like a Lifetime movie or something along those lines.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cojawfee posted:

Ted Lasso: Be a gultvan

Rebecca's gonna Gult some Van after the Dutch pilot gets back from his flight, if you know what I mean

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/pugmane/status/1663785243281698817?t=tRgSjZblM7mZpjcW1lqPCw&s=19

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Nate discovering that he's happiest when excelling at a traditionally "lesser" role and isn't comfortable with the scrutiny and pressure of big jobs (uneasy is the head that wears the crown and all that) had a lot of potential and the finale just reminded me of how badly they botched it. I did, however, appreciate the US Office "assistant to" reference and that Nate reversed it by insisting on being called the less impressive sounding version.

With one regrettable exception, the final football game was actually well executed and felt fairly realistic. God knows wackier things than the owner confronting the manager during a game have happened over the years.

As has been the case all season, the writing of the individual scenes was consistently great. Leslie's line about change is up there with "be curious, not judgmental" for me.

Oh, and that spinoff we've all been speculating about is totally going to be Keeley managing Richmond Ladies, isn't it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I hope Nate saved all his coaching money. Getting back getting back down to assistant and also having to pay 5090 quid seems like a rough deal

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Oh hey, the psychic was 100% right about everything. At least danny gets to be a poly relationship and gently caress two hot girls at the same time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The finale was fine. Felt like it ticked all the boxes. It was worthwhile watching it. I really enjoyed this show, I think the third season suffered from the excessive runtimes, but it has a lot of strong characters and that helped carry it over the finish line.

Adrianics posted:

With one regrettable exception, the final football game was actually well executed and felt fairly realistic. God knows wackier things than the owner confronting the manager during a game have happened over the years.

I know nothing about football, but the thing with Isaac kicking a ball so hard it went through the net and the referee didn't even see it happen seemed contrived.

Also I've been meaning to ask, Zava's performance in the first half of the season was inhumanly good, right? He seemed to average two goals a game, that's twice what Pele did.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Chamale posted:

I know nothing about football, but the thing with Isaac kicking a ball so hard it went through the net and the referee didn't even see it happen seemed contrived.

Bunch of this stuff has actually happened in football. There's a whole wiki article surrounding it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPc-Luq7LG8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt7UXPy0vTo

It even happens in reverse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8LDD9AJcmI

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Chamale posted:

The finale was fine. Felt like it ticked all the boxes. It was worthwhile watching it. I really enjoyed this show, I think the third season suffered from the excessive runtimes, but it has a lot of strong characters and that helped carry it over the finish line.

Also I've been meaning to ask, Zava's performance in the first half of the season was inhumanly good, right? He seemed to average two goals a game, that's twice what Pele did.

Messi once scored 93 goals in a year, so, things have happened.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the finale wasn't the worst episode but it was entirely predictable. i'm so happy i'm not forcing myself to watch this show anymore

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 31, 2023

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Keely plot was the only one I felt was just unnecessary and not good. Nate’s stuff felt like they wrote him to be worse and right at the end rewrote it so he wasn’t as bad, but you could at least tell where they were going with it.

I did think it was weird that Rupert got no sympathetic treatment the entire series, only to get a last minute one with the billionaire league, then the next episode he’s even worse. Same with Ted’s Therapist, last episode he’s extra dickish out of nowhere and Ted’s son seems to hate him when before he was okay with everything it seemed like.

The soccer match itself was good I thought, it wasn’t going to be a standard game in a finale and it wasn’t too silly with what they pulled off either.

I didn’t see Ted back with his wife as much as them being close co-parents, but I also thought it was funny he just didn’t go to Beard’s wedding at all. Granted Beard’s GF did seem to not like Ted.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One good beat I just remembered: Ted learning how the offside rule worked and knowing the goal would be disallowed

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Messi once scored 93 goals in a year, so, things have happened.

Yeah, stuff like that is super unlikely but there have been such a boatload of football games over the years that it still happens.
Same goes for the ridiculous halfway line goal.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Also this show pulled so many punches with Colin's coming out story, like first it takes the cowardly route of having him only come out to the team so not doing the whole 'first openly gay footballer' plotline that would have perhaps felt inappropriate with the whole fantasy cartoonishness of the show and the fact that in the real world as of the year 2023 no active premier league footballer has over come out as openly gay, and yet despite being too cowardly to actually tackle a perhaps meaningful topic that might have had some nuanced criticism against the premier league and english football culture in general we still get the kiss during the post match celebrations, because why not, isn't colin brave? isn't this character growth? isn't football for everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I just finished it and yeah those b-plots were a waste. The Roy-Jamie-Keely triangle isn't resolved, so I'm guessing that's just meant to be part of the spin-off.

Keely's entire storyline didn't go anywhere. I mean, isn't she almost exactly where she was at the start of the season, except with a different financial backer?

Nate's return definitely needed another episode to flesh it out. He starts the season being a total rear end in a top hat, then rubs shoulders with other total assholes. Then he meets a nice girl and realizes he doesn't want to be an rear end in a top hat, and his old friends are ready to embrace him with open arms? The Beard speech felt tacked on there should have been just something with Ted that was a bit more confrontational. Like, Ted never apologizes or addresses Nates actions. He's willing to dish out folksy wisdom to anyone who'll listen except his acolyte?

Also Roy being head coach doesn't feel right. It should have been Nate if his storyline was fleshed out a little more.