Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

Monkeys used a boat to go from Africa to south America 30 million years ago

that's badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.
Didn’t know that about monkeys.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
monkeys used coconut based sea chronometers to determine longitude

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao hell yeah

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

really doubt that the picture was taken in 500 bc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bedpan posted:

really doubt that the picture was taken in 500 bc

the evidence is right there idiot

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1663231538866143235

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
short king

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
So the Flintstones sex cave was true.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why is the picture from the jersey shore post sandy

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Goddamn I love history

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grevling posted:

Goddamn I love history

saw this on fb

quote:

It was from one band of these settlers, the Angles, that the name of England itself first emerged. Engla land' was the Viking description. It is characteristic of a country that, from the first century to the thirteenth century, was subject to almost continual foreign occupation.
The 'empire race' was once a colonized and exploited people.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i found a chunk of history today, probably pre-modern because it was buried pretty deep in sandy clay

nice rock, you say? does a rock have a pitted working face, you fool? maybe they do but some smarty-pants professor told me to look for this pitting when looking at possible tools made of quartzite, since it's such a hard rock that it's difficult to shape and so a lot of tools just look like rocks otherwise :shrug:

it could have been the head of an adze or maul but more likely it was a really ergonomic hand hammer -- seriously this thing has great grip -- used by somebody hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands of years ago to pound the living poo poo out of something, probably a foodstuff

just living your best life camping beside an ancient river and using your COOL ROCK to smash open moose bones for the marrow while shooting the poo poo with your friends and chewing on some salmon jerky

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

nice sex toy

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Looks like it was used for ritual purposes to me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

potato

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

cool removing of an artifact from its context

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
That is a nice rock, but also only a rock.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Really the country should be named after the Saxons. Every time I read about precolonial (1066) England it’s always all about Saxons. Should be Saxland.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Delthalaz posted:

Really the country should be named after the Saxons. Every time I read about precolonial (1066) England it’s always all about Saxons. Should be Saxland.
given precedent, it should be sexland

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

eat poo poo landhavers

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

Yes, and the wider global community speaking their language should be called Saxophones.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
English counties are pretty interesting like that: a lot of them were set up by the Anglo-Saxons and still have the same county towns and much the same borders as they did in the 10th century. These are the 'shire' counties: Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire etc. Then there's other counties like Cornwall and Kent which used to be dinky little kingdoms in their own right but ended up getting absorbed into the larger English political entity.

I like to imagine an alternative Britain where England never happened and we ended up with Wessex in the south, Mercia covering the Midlands and Northumbria in the north of the island.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

cool removing of an artifact from its context

oops i kind of didn't add enough context to make me not seem like a grave-robbing dingus. years ago my father got in contact with a curator at the Royal Alberta Museum on the phone, and they discussed the grooved hammer head that we had found. according to the curator (i think that was his position) he thought it was a cool find and we should donate it (we did and they redonated it to the local museum) but that stone tools in that area aren't unique enough to investigate any further than that. also they had basically no budget (because Alberta) was a further implication

the land in question been used as a camp-site for a very long time, it's basically in the middle of a trail system used by first nations, métis, fur traders, and missionaries travelling between the big lakes of alberta and the major rivers. no permanent or semi-permanent settlements were built along this trail, just camp-sites scattered the whole way and there's been a lot of campers over the years. according to the museum guy you should note the location and depth where you found the object, if you can help it please don't disturb the site any further. i'm not digging anymore in that area so it's the best that can be done i guess. i found some bits of charcoal at the depth as well but i have no idea what an old campfire would look like

it's probably just a rock but maybe a distant ancestor of mine picked up this fine potato rock, considered it, decided it to be stupid, and went back to thinking about some way to make pounding pemmican less tedious and maybe invent Tetris

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Pistol_Pete posted:

I like to imagine an alternative Britain where England never happened

me too

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Yes, and the wider global community speaking their language should be called Saxophones.

:dadjoke:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

given precedent, it should be sexland

given precedent, it definitely shouldn't

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tulip posted:

Honestly produced one of the better Spartan quips too: one of the captors mocked (possibly with some disbelief) the Spartans with how all the REAL Spartans must have died from arrows so it was just the non-Spartiate who surrendered, to which a Spartan said "it'd be a pretty smart arrow to tell a noble from a commoner."

They probably used an algorithm, like Obama did when he made sure that no civilians were harmed in his drone strikes.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
All the important Anglo-Saxon people and places were Saxons. Middlesex, Wessex, Sussex, Essex, Norsex. The Angles had what, East Anglia? No important Angles in history, basically the irrelevant

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Everyone forgets the Jutes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i will never acknowledge a jute

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Centuries of academic research into pre-Conquest England and to this day, nobody can say what a Jute even is.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Delthalaz posted:

All the important Anglo-Saxon people and places were Saxons. Middlesex, Wessex, Sussex, Essex, Norsex. The Angles had what, East Anglia? No important Angles in history, basically the irrelevant

this is Northumbria erasure

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

well-behaved angles rarely make history

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Pistol_Pete posted:

Centuries of academic research into pre-Conquest England and to this day, nobody can say what a Jute even is.

Jute is an aboveground crop. The plant may be processed at a farmer's workshop to produce jute plant fiber thread.

Some dwarves like jute plants for their fibrous stems.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Delthalaz posted:

I dunno, I think they're kinda acute

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Pistol_Pete posted:

A type of Saxon

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Let us also consult the only source dating from within like 300 years of the "Anglo"-Saxon invasion, Gildas:

quote:

Then all the councillors, together with that proud tyrant Gurthrigern [Vortigern], the British king, were so blinded, that, as a protection to their country, they sealed its doom by inviting in among them (like wolves into the sheep-fold), the fierce and impious Saxons, a race hateful both to God and men, to repel the invasions of the northern nations. Nothing was ever so pernicious to our country, nothing was ever so unlucky. What palpable darkness must have enveloped their minds-darkness desperate and cruel! Those very people whom, when absent, they dreaded more than death itself, were invited to reside, as one may say, under the selfsame roof.

Clearly, little has changed.

Where are the so-called :airquote: "Angles":airquote:? The :airquote:"Jutes":airquote:? They have played us for absolute fools.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
me arriving in albion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jazerus posted:

i will never acknowledge a jute