Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

Shades of the Well There's Your Problem episode about a bridge collapse in which it was discovered there was a service ticket in for the fault that brought the bridge down. After it collapsed, someone amended the ticket status to "resolved" on account of the collapse. :shrug:

I don't think they did a full episode on that, it was part of The Goddamn News for the bridge collapse in Pittsburgh. I can't remember if the ticket was actually resolved or they just joked about it for far too long, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

That's the kid of grandpa I strive to emulate.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Slugworth posted:

I might be misunderstanding something, but it looks like the implication is it passed, but someone went back in and changed it to fail to cover their rear end afterwards?

This is my reading, and it's a lot more dangerous and corrupt than the people well are reading it the other way around. There weren't 2 inspections, there were between 1 and 0

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I don't think they did a full episode on that, it was part of The Goddamn News for the bridge collapse in Pittsburgh. I can't remember if the ticket was actually resolved or they just joked about it for far too long, though.

That may be the case. It's been a while.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Side note, I really, really hate that podcast. I don't know what it is, but the few times I've tuned into something, I either find their voices grating or they'll say something completely freaking wrong and it just infuriates me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They also love to blame workers for accidents when the cause is deeply rooted in capitalism. See the Piper Alfa and Herald of Free Enterprise episodes for example.

Yes, I know what their politics are, they’re just not good at safety science.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Side note, I really, really hate that podcast. I don't know what it is, but the few times I've tuned into something, I either find their voices grating or they'll say something completely freaking wrong and it just infuriates me.

This opinion is pretty widespread among the forums and is completely uncontroversial. Roz would be (and is) great on his own but Liam and Alice are insufferable assholes who will Not. Shut. The gently caress. Up. For even. One. Minute.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

He's about to have a doozy of a day.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Someone's looking all chipper today.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Phanatic posted:

12.6 mSv, even in a half an hour, isn't going to lead to any effects that aren't psychosomatic. US occupational limit for rad workers is 50 mSv/year.

Moreover, what he's describing doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. He describes that there's a pipe that's ordinarily shielded by a lead pad, and someone previously did some work on that section of pipe and then didn't put the shield back in place, and then he went and put his head/torso near the pipe to do some other work and got dosed. But then he describes them finding actual contamination on his head/torso/helmet. But what? Nuclear material isn't escaping the pipe and spraying over him, he's not being contaminated by pieces of radioactive material, he's just getting hit with radiation escaping from the material in the pipe.

He's at least open to the possibility that his symptoms were nocebo, so that's good, but he didn't have radiation sickness.

Yeah that's a bit strange. About the only thing I could think of is it's literally just an old radioactive pipe that was laying around, you could probably pick up contamination from it if you rubbed up on it. But if it was so hot that it could get you like mSv in a couple minutes they probably wouldn't have it just laying around there with a few blocks of lead or whatever.

About the only other thing I could think of if it's a research thing and it's a neutron beamline. But that wouldn't be shielded by lead.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Eeyo posted:

Yeah that's a bit strange. About the only thing I could think of is it's literally just an old radioactive pipe that was laying around, you could probably pick up contamination from it if you rubbed up on it. But if it was so hot that it could get you like mSv in a couple minutes they probably wouldn't have it just laying around there with a few blocks of lead or whatever.

About the only other thing I could think of if it's a research thing and it's a neutron beamline. But that wouldn't be shielded by lead.

Depending on what was in it, there could be a non-negligible neutron flux present that can contaminate items that aren't inside the pipe, like the dust/dirt/filth that any pipe system eventually gets coated with.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

They also love to blame workers for accidents when the cause is deeply rooted in capitalism. See the Piper Alfa and Herald of Free Enterprise episodes for example.

Yes, I know what their politics are, they’re just not good at safety science.

i have never once heard them blame an individual worker over the systemic causes leading to an accident what the hell are you talking about

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

i have never once heard them blame an individual worker over the systemic causes leading to an accident what the hell are you talking about

...unless it's during the Safety Third segment

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Have a look at that Iowa building inspection report in the Twitter thread and actually read what the giant orange box says:

It's mostly a PHP error!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sarcastx posted:

...unless it's during the Safety Third segment
those are self identifying they don't count

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

The Management posted:

That blazing inferno ahead of us? Yeah, just keep driving deeper into it. This is fine

Is it legal to do a U-turn with double yellow lines?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Unfortunately, you must respect traffic markings, even unto death.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Re: the above, so basically this was ruled safe to occupy as ongoing mitigations were happening? Do I understand the actual inspection correctly?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

null_pointer posted:

This opinion is pretty widespread among the forums and is completely uncontroversial. Roz would be (and is) great on his own but Liam and Alice are insufferable assholes who will Not. Shut. The gently caress. Up. For even. One. Minute.

it's heartbreaking that Franklin, a genuinely cool and interesting series that taught me a lot about american history, has been completely supplanted by WTYP, a podcast where the one person who mostly knows what he's talking about gets constantly interrupted by two idiots shouting the same poo poo jokes over and over

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the last Franklin episode aired three years ago and i will die mad about it, thank you for asking

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

You never drive into smoke unless you know exactly what is going on.

They got off lucky, even the best trained can end up with no options other than make a break for it, cover the windows with insulation to stop the radiant heat, and get out with only melted mirrors and door handles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvy2siEwOZ0

If course, it's worse when the fire chases you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2fih9QRIQ&t=177s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_pBZenLi8&t=66s

And the classic (Warning: Loud Volume)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIHIsSJ2Txk&t=101s

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/ISKMzd5.mp4

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kith posted:

it's heartbreaking that Franklin, a genuinely cool and interesting series that taught me a lot about american history, has been completely supplanted by WTYP, a podcast where the one person who mostly knows what he's talking about gets constantly interrupted by two idiots shouting the same poo poo jokes over and over

Also Power Politics and Planning.
Ill join you on the funeral pyre

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 31, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also Power Politics and Planning.
Ill join you on the funeral pyre

Me too. I miss both Franklin and PPP a lot. Especially Franklin. I really enjoyed that series.

The guy is a goon, right? Where does he post? Can we go and threaten him or something

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Sagebrush posted:

Me too. I miss both Franklin and PPP a lot. Especially Franklin. I really enjoyed that series.

The guy is a goon, right? Where does he post? Can we go and threaten him or something

Yeah you should definitely threaten a guy for making a show with his friends that he likes making.

Every time WTYP comes up it's always followed by pages of goons whining about his co-hosts. Don't listen to it then. Other channels like Fascinating Horror, Brick Imortar, and Practical Engineering, exist - if you just want a Wikipedia page read out to you - and there is no shortage of urbanism YouTubes like Not Just Bikes if you want the political opinion without any comedy commentary.

I hope Do Not Eat does see this stuff and realises that the average goon can only dream of shitposting for a living, then opens a beer and laughs.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Desiderata posted:

Every time WTYP comes up it's always followed by pages of goons whining about his co-hosts. Don't listen to it then.
The point of such incessant bashing is because they not only don't like it, other people should not like or watch it either.

I find the podcast amusing, myself.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

There is literally one interesting segment:

He's doing electrical work in a nuclear power plant, next to a pipe carrying radioactive material. The last person to do work on the pipe has removed the lead padding to work on it, and has neglected to replace it. Thus he receives 12.8 miliSieverts to his face and chest before a workplace safety guy yanks him out of there and gets him tested for whether he's melting or not. Apparently he wasn't aware of the "being irradiated"-part because his dosimeter had been dropped and damaged by the last wearer.

Question for that handful of goons that have worked around radioactive stuff: do dosimeters have to be regularly calibrated/bump-tested like multi gas monitors?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Nice that the report also includes PHP errors, very reassuring.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally I don't mind WTYP. The signal:noise ratio isn't great, but then again the only way I can really listen to any podcast ever is as mildly interesting background noise so it's not that big a deal.

Anyway,
https://i.imgur.com/s8xroUI.mp4

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iroc.dis posted:

Question for that handful of goons that have worked around radioactive stuff: do dosimeters have to be regularly calibrated/bump-tested like multi gas monitors?

Ask Comrade Blyatlov about the time that he almost caused a New Zealand nuclear scare.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Looks like Aquaman finally closed the deal with Ben Shapiro.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Actually it's more of a generalised question anyway. So in the yearly secret santa I was gifted this fine piece of equipment:

Out of interest, I took it to work with me. The zero dial on it is fairly sensitive, so I'm assuming the engine vibration isn't doing it any favours, but after re-zeroing while alongside, I was picking up an amount of radiation.

That was on the 0.1 setting, so it's not half a roentgen, and according to the calibration certificate inside it was last calibrated in 1982 so it's probably fair to say that it's a little out by now.

I live in NZ, so I don't even want to think about trying to calibrate this myself. How on earth would one calibrate a device like this? I was thinking of contacting one of the larger universities and seeing if they can point me in the right direction. The card in the unit says that it was last done by "Department of Emergency Services Radiological Maintenance Shop, Olympia, Washington".
That's obviously a little out of the way for me. Any thoughts, or should I just continue to regard this as a cool gift and not worry about getting it calibrated?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So as I mentioned the meter hasn't been calibrated since 1982. I just got off the phone to the National Radiation Laboratory to see if I could arrange to have it calibrated and had a very amusing conversation with them.
When I called I said look it's picked up some readings and I was hoping to get it calibrated as I'm not sure it's accurate. The nice lady transferred me to another gentleman who asked me for the details of what the readings were and where I was when I noticed them, and I mentioned the meter hadn't been calibrated since 1982 so I wasn't sure if it was accurate.
The guy let out an audible sigh of relief and said 'ok, you've been transferred through to the emergency line, I thought we might have a major incident on our hands.'
Arc Light, you forever loving win every prize for genuinely scaring the poor scientists ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahah

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I remember reading some pretty crazy probably bullshit stories on the early internet about what people found toying around with their detectors, one that sticks with me still was the guy who found an orphaned neutron source at his high school. Well one story I thought was fake was in fact real it turns out people really were dumb enough to use uranium frizzens in their flintlock guns.

https://www.orau.org/health-physics-museum/collection/consumer/depleted-uranium/frizzen.html

"While DU provided a reliable method to ignite black powder, the tiny uranium fragments that became airborne when the flintlock was discharged posed a potential inhalation hazard. Gun enthusiasts were warned about this problem and told not to face their frizzens with uranium in the August 1992 issue of Muzzle Blasts magazine."

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

coldpudding posted:

I remember reading some pretty crazy probably bullshit stories on the early internet about what people found toying around with their detectors, one that sticks with me still was the guy who found an orphaned neutron source at his high school. Well one story I thought was fake was in fact real it turns out people really were dumb enough to use uranium frizzens in their flintlock guns.

https://www.orau.org/health-physics-museum/collection/consumer/depleted-uranium/frizzen.html

"While DU provided a reliable method to ignite black powder, the tiny uranium fragments that became airborne when the flintlock was discharged posed a potential inhalation hazard. Gun enthusiasts were warned about this problem and told not to face their frizzens with uranium in the August 1992 issue of Muzzle Blasts magazine."

This sounds like the government trying to take away guns! They should switch to DU components only in protest.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

weg posted:

Looks like Aquaman finally closed the deal with Ben Shapiro.

Lmao

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Re: the nuclear animu guy - maybe some of the metal bits on him absorbed radiation and re-radiated it later?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Would this be considered a houseboat or a boathouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

iroc.dis posted:

They have to be inspected and calibrated, yes, but usually that's just to ensure that dosage tracking is correct.

Also: Dude got such a minor dosage, hope he isn't afraid of going outside.