Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve put about two hours into that Star Trek: Resurgence game (played on a Series S, for clarity) and I’ve got Some Thoughts.

Good:
- The voice acting ranges from fine to good, with the XO, Captain, and Debra Wilson being the standouts so far.
- There’s some fun design, like a Starbase that’s kind of a melding of the Regula 1 and Earth Spacedock designs, or the bridge of the Resolute. It feels sufficiently small for a ship of that class without feeling like a cheap redress. I also like the “we’re doing TNG era in 2023” design choices like having simple holograms on the conference table or JJ/Disco-esque transparent data readouts on the very wide main bridge viewscreen.

Bad:
- Any “gameplay” outside of the narrative dialogue choices is pretty dull and tedious
- So far the lower decks NCO guy’s storyline hasn’t been anywhere near as interesting as the XO’s
- The music sucks. I’m sorry to say it, but man it’s like straight out of a cheap FMV game from the mid-90s. You’d think they’d have been able to just license existing Trek scores and repurpose them as needed.

Ugly:
- I know Dramatic Labs is a very small team, and therefore doesn’t have the same resources as previous Trek games and as a result I feel bad saying this, but… the game is ugly. Really ugly. Some of the main characters’ faces look fine, but a lot of the secondary and background characters look Star Trek Online quality or worse. Especially the Starfleet characters. And because of that disparity in quality it can often be extremely jarring in dialogue when the camera jumps from character to character. It wouldn’t be too bad if the game itself was more stylized or deliberately going for a simplistic look, but… it’s not
- All the character animations are incredibly stiff and unnatural looking, everyone seems to move around with the exact same jerky motions and posture
- All the quicktime actions feel like total dogshit as “gameplay” and often break the narrative flow far worse than any of their equivalents in prior TellTale games

I want to like this game and obviously I’m going to finish it since I’ve already spent $40 on it, but… oof. It really feels like they overestimated what they’d be capable of and then got locked into a do-or-die release date after having too many delays.

I think this is a bit harsh, although YMMV if you're playing on PC as I'm on console. I think the minigames have been surprisingly decent, especially the transporter one, or at worst unintrusive. I actually like the music as well, it feels very of the era.

The fact that the whole game is a sequel to The Last Outpost is a very odd choice, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

These are former Telltale people who made this game, so it's not at all surprising that there are a lot of quicktime events in the game

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

These are former Telltale people who made this game, so it's not at all surprising that there are a lot of quicktime events in the game

I’m very familiar with TellTale games and their style of quicktime events. I’m just saying the qt events in this particular game aren’t nearly as narratively fluid as past games.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The one actual cast cameo was pretty good though: You call Riker on the Titan because he's the only senior officer to have met a Tkon before. And Solano once again pulls his "uWu, poor me, we can't teww Starfweet or i'll wook bad" act. And, yes it's metagaming, but it's Captain loving RIKER, there's literally no-one more trustworthy in the whole fleet to tell poo poo to.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Beeftweeter posted:

i thought "the quickening" was generally pretty well-received (imo as it should be). what are people's complaints about it?

i guess i could see people disliking it if they don't like dax or bashir as characters but that's hardly a reason to dislike the story. it even takes bashir down a few pegs

I guess I can't recall anyone actively disliking it, just ignoring it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The one actual cast cameo was pretty good though: You call Riker on the Titan because he's the only senior officer to have met a Tkon before. And Solano once again pulls his "uWu, poor me, we can't teww Starfweet or i'll wook bad" act. And, yes it's metagaming, but it's Captain loving RIKER, there's literally no-one more trustworthy in the whole fleet to tell poo poo to.

I just watched the Riker scene on YouTube and was immediately like "Oh, wow, Solano is an INCREDIBLY lovely captain. The Tkon has possibly compromised all of Starfleet's shields and he's like 'Please don't tell Riker because he'll tell Starfleet and then everyone'll get scared', bullshit!" You tell Riker that poo poo right away because I've seen Starfleet get its lunch wrecked too many times now by lack of communication.

Something something "the first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth..."

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Beeftweeter posted:

just throwing it out there: eddington was a loving idiot for becoming a terrorist because he figured out how to grow plants

Just throwing it out there: Eddington never read the novel and was actually really into Les Miserables the musical.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that always annoys me about messy roommate stories is when the roommate is unrealistically messy, like when Jake and Nog first move in together- at one point Nog goes to do his starfleet stuff and Jake is left alone in the room to write, and when he gets back 9 hours later there are clothes everywhere. How the hell did that happen? Jake was on the couch writing all day, he didn't even change his clothes since Nog left. Also somehow his pants found a way into the replicator, he could only have done that on purpose to annoy Nog, which is why I feel that the irony of their relationship is at first Nog seeming to be a bad influence on Jake, but it turning out that Jake is the toxic one.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
No I've lived with someone that messy. It's real to me!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
As someone who is that messy, you don't know how it happens yourself. It just does. You were wearing your top and then you took it off to go to sleep and yep okay it's in the bathtub for some reason.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

As someone who is that messy, you don't know how it happens yourself. It just does. You were wearing your top and then you took it off to go to sleep and yep okay it's in the bathtub for some reason.

My personal theory is because "messy" people have some sort of gremlin'esq creatures who follow them around go and mess everything up when no one's looking. This is because messy people are just naturally more friendly, intelligence, good looking, witty, funny, charming, and just all around better people, which attracts these gremlin'esq creatures to them.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Jake just goes through ten vests a day as part of his writing process

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

My personal theory is because "messy" people have some sort of gremlin'esq creatures who follow them around go and mess everything up when no one's looking. This is because messy people are just naturally more friendly, intelligence, good looking, witty, funny, charming, and just all around better people, which attracts these gremlin'esq creatures to them.

naw it's because we're all phasing through various alternate realities where everything is slightly different but also everything you said about us being better people is true though

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Dax is just breaking into your homes and messing them up to prank you.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I decided to eat a brownie and watch some more DS9. This episode is called "Move Along Home".

Oh my goodness what is happening.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DS9 had a colony of the South Park underwear gnomes. Simple as that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

I decided to eat a brownie and watch some more DS9. This episode is called "Move Along Home".

"Allamaraine, count to four,
Allamaraine, then three more,
Allamaraine, if you can see,
Allamaraine, you'll come with me…"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Drink! It's the antidote!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Boy that was an episode.

loving Quark.

Best quote so far though: Oh, no. I'm sure all you Starfleet explorers find this fascinating, but I'm a Bajoran administrator. This is not what I signed up for!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Atlas Hugged posted:

A good episode :colbert:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Well I certainly liked it better than Nagus.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My favorite part of Move Along Home is the freaking out about oh god our heroes are dead and the game guy is just it's lol nobody died, it's a game, are you loving stupid?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved Sisko's reaction to being (for the Uniform)outwitted by the ex-security officer. "He's not a shapeshifter, he hasn't got 700 years of life experience, he isn't a wormhole alien, HE'S JUST A MAN! And he BEAT ME!"

I also loved the exchange where Quark is complaining about if the Dominion take the station:

Quark: I'll be ruined... the Gem Hadar don't eat, don't drink and don't have sex. The FOUNDERS don't eat, don't drink and don't have sex...
Dukat's Daughter: Maybe the Vorta will be gluttinous alcoholic sex-maniacs?
Quark: I never thought of that...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nope they just can't see blue.

Which seems like a huge problem actually

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also the casting of the Vorta is perfect. They are so insufferably smug, they have the most punchable faces in the universe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the casting of the Vorta is perfect. They are so insufferably smug, they have the most punchable faces in the universe.

The makeup effects is what does it. They all look like really shifty lemurs.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

That's just Jeffrey Combs being Jeffrey Combs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sash! posted:

Nope they just can't see blue.

Which seems like a huge problem actually

Eh, I can't really see red and I get by.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hogoth the Arms dealer owns, he's just devouring the scenery in every scene he's in like a bulimic langolier. Also "Why is the baby in the Pit?" is such a funny scene, with more and more people coming over to stare at the baby in the maintenance recess.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 31, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the largest artificially habitable structure in Trek?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Khanstant posted:

The Dyson Sphere in TNG that only appears in one episode, probably.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Space Station XBOX

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

a spheroid region, 705 meters in diameter. Can't get bigger than that

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 31, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Voth City Ship is 11km long. That's probably the largest mainly habitable ship. V'ger is a lot bigger (78km long) but not habitable.

Earth Spacedock is 5.7km tall, while Starbase 75 is visibly identical but upscaled so the Enterprise-D can fit inside, so it's more like 13km tall.

No idea how large Probert Station (the new Spacedock from Picard) is.

Starbase Yorktown from Star Trek Beyond, in the Kelvin universe, was a pressurized transparent sphere of air about 30-40 km across with cities on arms snaking through the inside, so it'd be bigger than any of the above.

The Borg Unicomplex isn't solid but it's a big mesh of structures that probably stretches across hundreds of kilometres of space.

And of course then there's the Dyson Sphere which is trillions of times larger than anything else and would have the internal surface area of ~ a hundred million Earths or so.

Edit: Oh, and species 10-C from Discovery built three ringworlds around their star, so that's smaller but on a similar order of magnitude to the Dyson Sphere.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 31, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Eh, I can't really see red and I get by.

Presumably you are not a nefarious diplomat for an aggressive, expansionist military power who might need to be able to see concealed messages in imagery

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe they sacrificed their ability to see blue for the ability to see infra-red instead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Wasn’t the colorist for TAS colorblind lmao

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow, the Death of Legate Gamor was a very sad episode. The only one to get me actually crying.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, the Death of Legate Gamor was a very sad episode. The only one to get me actually crying so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do like the irony with that character though - if it weren't for the Cardassians trying to be assholes to both of them, neither character would have come as far as they had, but because they forced them into a room together and fooled one of them into thinking they were father and daughter, it forged a bond that has united Cardassia's underground and Bajor in a way that would never have happened before. She helped him escape and get to safety, and in return he's given her immense amounts of intelligence, all because Cardassia were trying to destroy both.