Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Elons pathetic beard never fails to make me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/elon-musk-visits-chinas-commerce-ministry-2023-05-31/
BEIJING, May 31 (Reuters) - He's "a pioneer", "Brother Ma" and some want him to be U.S. president. Billionaire Elon Musk has been showered with praise by the Chinese public during his trip to China and while also securing audiences with three government ministers.
[...]
"He's a global idol," commented one user. "Elon Musk is just great, if only China could have someone like Elon Musk," said another.

panderin' in Mandarin

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you already have yilong ma. don't be greedy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Idk why usa citizens hate China. This proves Chinese people are just like them.

Edit: Jamie Dimon is there too. 🤔

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 12:53 on May 31, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm reminded of Ronnie Chieng's bit about how Chinese people loving *love* money.

edit: found it! also I fixed the spelling of his name because I'm a filthy American

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_KpLrHCAx0

mdemone has issued a correction as of 13:08 on May 31, 2023

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

mdemone posted:

I'm reminded of Ronnie Chang's bit about how Chinese people loving *love* money.
Sounds illuminating about the ways of the orient.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I've lived in China several years. It'll mostly be that thing where translators and reporters gussy up stupid things prominent people say to avoid appearing that they're making GBS threads on them.

Elon will say "my car will be a boat with wheel go round" and it gets translated as "incredible inventor Elon Musk reveals groundbreaking new plan for amphibious vehicle" in the press.

Doesn't even need to be translations; the British press spent a lot of the early Trump years making him sound less dumb by rephrasing and reinterpreted his tweets into politics speak.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WhyteRyce posted:

i thought impersonation was instant twitter ban?
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1663599965698916371

44k replies? :laffo:

(I'm not reading a single one)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

trucutru posted:

44k blue cheks for you to block. AOC doing a service.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

i thought impersonation was instant twitter ban?
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1663599965698916371

one good way to move forward, if you really truly feel this way about the website, would be to not use the website anymore

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

chird posted:

I've lived in China several years. It'll mostly be that thing where translators and reporters gussy up stupid things prominent people say to avoid appearing that they're making GBS threads on them.

Elon will say "my car will be a boat with wheel go round" and it gets translated as "incredible inventor Elon Musk reveals groundbreaking new plan for amphibious vehicle" in the press.

Doesn't even need to be translations; the British press spent a lot of the early Trump years making him sound less dumb by rephrasing and reinterpreted his tweets into politics speak.

American press did the same re trump

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
imagine being the translator that has to form coherent sentences out of musk's inane babble

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I loved how they would do their darndest to never say he Lied Bigly about basically everything

Love modern media that does both sides by just repeating quotes with zero followup or corrections before moving onto Dog on Tiny Bike

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they usually have staff that give talking points to reporters to copy

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
has twitter broke even yet

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

trucutru posted:

I read a few and now I have a headache so there's my trip report

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

a.lo posted:

I assume its revenue is at least an order of magnitude less than its costs

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you do not watch every single episode of beavis and butt-head including the movies and the video game virtual stupidity then i will kill you right now

you forgot to specify whether this is an actionable threat or just a silly musk thread joke

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

a.lo posted:

Twitter, in the limit, does not need to break even.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

trucutru posted:

these people are basically liberals and aoc is their trump

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I've never seen a single episode of Beavis and Butthead because my mom thought it would be a corrupting influence and then I just never followed through as an adult

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jon Irenicus posted:

I've never seen a single episode of Beavis and Butthead because my mom thought it would be a corrupting influence and then I just never followed through as an adult

You should check out the movie Beavis and Butt-Head Do America, it's as good of an entry point as anything imo

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Jon Irenicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXkGrPkugQk

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jon Irenicus posted:

my mom wouldn't let me have GI Joe toys when I was a kid

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Filthy Hans posted:

my mom wouldn't let me have GI Joe toys when I was a kid

now that you're grown you can show her

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Maybe he can write it off on his taxes, genius chessmaster move Mr. Musk

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Filthy Hans posted:

my sister made her long-term boyfriend get a COVID vaccine before I visited her in 2021, I think she threatened to dump him if he refused

she never told me about it, one of her friends let it slip while drunk

Dang, that's a good sister.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Jon Irenicus posted:

watch beavis and butt-head OP

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

I solved this issue by watching them late at night on MTV when my parents were asleep

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

watch beavis and butt-head OP

When my grandma turned 100, I asked her "What was the best television show you watched of all time, given that you were born before it was invented."

Her reply: "Beavis and Butt-head."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Entorwellian posted:

When my grandma turned 100, I asked her "What was the best television show you watched of all time, given that you were born before it was invented."

Her reply: "Beavis and Butt-head."

never got around to watching Eastbound and Down, huh?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

never got around to watching Eastbound and Down, huh?

She's nearly blind and deaf now so I doubt she would enjoy it today.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
the other day I saw "Louie CK" trending and it turned out to be because a blue check account called "Louie KC" had some opinions about trans people and despite the account saying "this is parody, I am not Louie CK" there were still hundreds of people who were reacting as if it were

not sure where I was going with this the whole thing is actually pretty funny

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

JAMOOOL posted:

the other day I saw "Louie CK" trending and it turned out to be because a blue check account called "Louie KC" had some opinions about trans people and despite the account saying "this is parody, I am not Louie CK" there were still hundreds of people who were reacting as if it were

not sure where I was going with this the whole thing is actually pretty funny

drat I thought that was him. this poo poo is getting really bad

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mr. Lobe posted:

I assume its revenue is at least an order of magnitude less than its costs

last intel drop I got was from late April and they were delighted at getting up to 60 new subs a day.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Reddit trying to get in on the non-existent API gouging profits

https://twitter.com/ChristianSelig/status/1663959847887306780?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
they should have gone the Microsoft route:

allow free api access and when someone makes a better product, buy the company and shutter the product.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is the Apollo app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
What is an api in the context of reddit?