Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Either way, now that she has become a victimizer I really don't give a poo poo about what happened or will happen to her :shrug:

She’s still a rape victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

UKJeff posted:

To be clear, you don’t care that she was sexually assaulted because she is a “victimizer”? Who did she victimize, Joe Biden?

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see anyone making such an assertion. It seemed like the opposite was happening, in that these new claims were used to attack her credibility and serve as further evidence that her allegations were all made up. Apologies if I overlooked something.

Personally, I don’t agree with her new claims of Biden planning to steal the 2024 election but I can understand why she would feel unsafe continuing to live in the US.

There were at least a few people claiming so. I don’t wanna do the post about posters thing but yeah if you look back in the first few pages of discussion i think you’d see some

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

UKJeff posted:

To be clear, you don’t care that she was sexually assaulted because she is a “victimizer”? Who did she victimize, Joe Biden?

She shills for a fascist dictator and war criminal who right now is engaged in an active campaign of ethnic cleansing. So the persecuted people of Russia and Ukraine for one.

Nucleic Acids posted:

She’s still a rape victim.

Yeah, and I don't care. Zero sympathy.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vorenus posted:

Yeah it's important to remember that anyone who claims sexual assault is automatically incapable of being dishonest or wrong about anything, ever.

Also I really respect and appreciate the depth of nuance and critical thinking in all of this discussion. It's really nice to see an absence of the black-and-white "no shades of grey" thinking that too often drags down the quality of discourse.

I'm sure all of you completely 100% support Carolyn Bryant, right?

Yes, this is a really similar situation to Carolyn Bryant. You have absolutely said something insightful here and it would be great if you could expand on all the similarities here.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yes, this is a really similar situation to Carolyn Bryant. You have absolutely said something insightful here and it would be great if you could expand on all the similarities here.

Any questioning of the credibility of an alleged SA victim is permissive of rape culture. That's clearly the line that some of these arguments are taking, so if we're going to apply it to Tara Reade we drat well need to apply it across the board.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vorenus posted:

Any questioning of the credibility of an alleged SA victim is permissive of rape culture. That's clearly the line that some of these arguments are taking, so if we're going to apply it to Tara Reade we drat well need to apply it across the board.

You do know Bryant never claimed SA, right? Not to mention how insane the rest of your comparison is.

Edit: God you have to be on some poo poo to go "Well why don't you believe the woman who accused a black man of whistling at her? :smuggo: it's just about being consistent"

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 31, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hot take alert: going on the right wing media grift and then russian state tv* to spread paranoid lies makes you a piece of poo poo automatically. It’s not cool to sexually assault pieces of poo poo, and it’s pretty obvious that the dems betrayed their (stated) ideals and helped lead Tara Reade down this path. It is possible to judge them both

Sorry if that makes me part of the dnd rape culture crew

*it is garbage, fascist garbage with reporters outdoing Tucker in on the daily, I’ve actually watched hours while in Russia if you think western news is bad you should hate Russian news

Vorenus posted:

So to be clear, if I don’t treat the Biden kill squad claims at face value it’s rape culture?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, and I don't care. Zero sympathy.

This is kind of a lovely thing to believe.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
It is abundantly clear that nobody is earnestly interested in discussing current events regarding Tara Reade except as a segue to her earlier allegations. I don't care what you believe in your heart of hearts, but we're not going to use CE to litigate the believability of sexual assault allegations.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I think that the point of #MeToo was to have sexual crimes be treated with the same presumption as any other crime. If I go to the cops or the media and say "I was robbed" or "I got the poo poo beat out of me", people would take my claim at face value and investigate with due diligence. However, thanks to rape culture and patriarchy, sex crimes like rape/sexual assault/etc. were front loaded with bullshit skepticism. "What were you wearing when it happened?" "Did you have anything to drink?" "Did you give off any vibes that could have led to the assault." And that was if you were lucky enough to be heard by anybody to begin with.

But with ANY crime, a basic level of skepticism is not unreasonable, as long as you take the claim seriously and investigate it. If someone claims robbery or assault, but there's no evidence that a crime happened despite an investigation, don't be angry at other people if they still have lingering skepticism over the claim. And especially don't be angry if the person making the claim starts behaving in a manner that would invite more skepticism.

Tara Reade had others corroborate the misconduct claims, but the assault claims couldn't be corroborated. I know that victims of rape don't always remember things linearly or be unable to recall details until decades later (this is something I've painfully learned very recently). But I do think her claims were given a fair consideration, but they didn't pan out like others, and I'm not going to fault others for exercising doubt given her associations and claims since 2020. The article below is from 2020, but I think it gives a fair assessment of Tara's claims.

Vox: The agonizing story of Tara Reade - I started reporting on Tara Reade’s story a year ago. Here’s what I found, and where I’m stuck.

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 31, 2023

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hot take alert: going on the right wing media grift and then russian state tv* to spread paranoid lies makes you a piece of poo poo automatically. It’s not cool to sexually assault pieces of poo poo, and it’s pretty obvious that the dems betrayed their (stated) ideals and helped lead Tara Reade down this path. It is possible to judge them both

Sorry if that makes me part of the dnd rape culture crew

It doesn't. The thing a lot of people are saying is that applying a victim's current situation retroactively is a method of dismissing people's claims that they've been sexually assaulted. It's 100% okay to say, "oh, this person went on to become a tinfoil weirdo who's probably an active agent for a foreign power" if the current situation supports that. What isn't okay is when people use that as a reason to say that because of what's going on now, we can safely assume whatever we want about their life before.

Most sexual assault cases, when they get reported at all, come from people who are pretty far removed from the actual event. It takes time to process and understand that something that happened to you even was SA or rape, and very often people peripheral to the situation aren't even remotely supportive. So there's a lot of cognitive dissonance to work through. And that's without extenuating circumstances -- like the person who did it to you being extremely powerful or well-liked. Not to mention that we don't do a very good job of explaining what SA even is -- so many children who experience it don't even discover that they've been a victim until years later.

So it's pretty pernicious to be able to go "oh, this person's a lying sack of poo poo now, we can ignore that they said this about when they were a child. They were probably a lying poo poo then, too."

e2a:

DarkCrawler posted:

It's not a belief, but my honest opinion.

Your honesty is refreshing, but this take sucks. The previous poster who admonished you was understating, btw -- this is completely lovely thing to believe.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 31, 2023

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nucleic Acids posted:

This is kind of a lovely thing to believe.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

--

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
Pull up thread pull up

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DarkCrawler posted:

It's not a belief it's just...a thing you believe???

vvv opinions are beliefs, hth

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 31, 2023

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ershalim posted:

Your honesty is refreshing, but this take sucks. The previous poster who admonished you was understating, btw -- this is completely lovely thing to believe.

Well, since she is a completely lovely person, I'll survive.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's not a belief it's just...a thing you believe???

I am pretty sure I know when I am feeling sympathy for a person or not.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

What would you suggest? Probating anyone that casts any doubt on Reade's accusations?

Yes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Chris Christie is inexplicably deciding to give it another go.

I'm somewhat surprised that 2024 seems to be exceeding the clown car level of 2016. We're up to 12 declared/soon to be declared candidates already. And that is not counting the incredibly minor candidates like Corey Stapleton or Perry Johnson.

I'm not sure why so many people are falling on their sword this year. I'm guessing they thought Trump would be weaker/not run and have been making preparations for the last two years that they don't want to just throw away. But, even if there was a breakout against Trump in the primary, by having over a dozen candidates you are effectively making it more and more impossible for that (already small) chance breakout to ever actually occur.

His plan is to hope that Trump doesn't skip the debates and try to own him on stage, argue that he is the only conservative who can win over enough independents and Democrats to win, and be the only one who can make the tough decisions and do the truth-telling needed to get the country back on track.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1663874698877321216

quote:

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie plans to announce his candidacy in the 2024 race on Tuesday, according to three sources familiar with his plans.

Christie, who also ran in 2016 and has been outspoken against Republican front-runner Donald Trump, will make the announcement at a town hall at Saint Anselm College.

Axios was first to report Christie’s announcement date.

News of Christie’s announcement comes after his allies recently formed a super PAC to support his expected GOP presidential bid.

The group, Tell It Like It Is, also launched a website to boost the former New Jersey governor’s candidacy and said his presence on the GOP debate stage would “ensure our party engages in the robust, direct, truth-telling conversation we need to start winning again.”

The website lists Republican National Committee member Bill Palatucci, former US Sen. Jeff Chiesa and former US Rep. Susan Brooks as members of the group’s leadership team.

According to a source tied to the new super PAC, Christie’s expected campaign is likely to include people he has worked with before, including Mike DuHaime, who served as a top political strategist to the former governor, and Maria Comella, Christie’s chief messaging officer during his previous presidential bid.

When he ran in 2016, Christie announced his candidacy on June 30, 2015, before supporters in Livingston, New Jersey.

Christie reportedly sees himself as the only serious Republican candidate willing to take on Trump and as someone who can appeal to enough independents to beat President Joe Biden in the general election.

Christie is one of several high-profile figures considering a bid for the Republican nomination. Trump, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and talk radio host Larry Elder have officially announced their candidacies.

While Christie called a potential presidential run a “huge risk” at an event hosted by Semafor in Washington last month, he said, “If it turns out that I’m on a debate stage in August of this year and Donald Trump decides to be on it, you can be sure that we’ll have some exchanges that I hope will be illuminating to the public about both him and me.”

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Theres a slim possibility that the court cases do serious damage to Trump or take him out of the running is there not? In which case the frontrunner would be DeSantis and theres plenty of reason for people to believe they could beat him

Besides, I bet several of these people are REALLY running for VP, or the Cabinet.

I am intrigued to see how Ron DeSantis vs Trump will play out.

Edit: I doubt any Republican is capable of owning Trump on the debate stage. Its a trap. He'll own them all like last time.

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 31, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

Theres a slim possibility that the court cases do serious damage to Trump or take him out of the running is there not? In which case the frontrunner would be DeSantis and theres plenty of reason for people to believe they could beat him

Besides, I bet several of these people are REALLY running for VP, or the Cabinet.

I am intrigued to see how Ron DeSantis vs Trump will play out.

Edit: I doubt any Republican is capable of owning Trump on the debate stage. Its a trap. He'll own them all like last time.

I have my doubts there will be any debates whatsoever for the 2024 election or primaries.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If Trump falls off due to crimes or whatever, Christie could easily fill the void to crush DeSantis.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm somewhat surprised that 2024 seems to be exceeding the clown car level of 2016. We're up to 12 declared/soon to be declared candidates already. And that is not counting the incredibly minor candidates like Corey Stapleton or Perry Johnson.

I'm not sure why so many people are falling on their sword this year. I'm guessing they thought Trump would be weaker/not run and have been making preparations for the last two years that they don't want to just throw away. But, even if there was a breakout against Trump in the primary, by having over a dozen candidates you are effectively making it more and more impossible for that (already small) chance breakout to ever actually occur.

His plan is to hope that Trump doesn't skip the debates and try to own him on stage, argue that he is the only conservative who can win over enough independents and Democrats to win, and be the only one who can make the tough decisions and do the truth-telling needed to get the country back on track.

Hey, Tricky Dick made an awesome come-back in '68 after failing extremely badly against the god damned Kennedies!

Chris probably has a staff of yes-men (or women!) telling him sure, you can win it. He's a... sort of national figure, I suppose? I couldn't tell you why he specifically would come out of the clown car a winner, but at least half of the POTUSes have been morons, racist and or both, so why not give it a go? At least he can have a book written about his effort, surely some GOP think-tank would order a few thousand of those?

Also, Chris did suicide bomb lil'Marco in a debate, so maybe there is some comedy to be had here again?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
While DeSantis is definitely in the delusional crowd, or at least at this point not so much chasing a busted flush as pot-committed, yeah I imagine a lot of the clown car primary crowd are in it for the publicity and angling for cabinet positions or at least prime wingnut welfare appointments.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vorenus posted:

Yeah it's important to remember that anyone who claims sexual assault is automatically incapable of being dishonest or wrong about anything, ever.

Also I really respect and appreciate the depth of nuance and critical thinking in all of this discussion. It's really nice to see an absence of the black-and-white "no shades of grey" thinking that too often drags down the quality of discourse.

I'm sure all of you completely 100% support Carolyn Bryant, right?

This should be a ban.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Idk who it is backing Chris Christie, but he's had at least a couple columns touting him in the New York Times recently.

I'd say his constituency is rich GOP donors who would prefer Not Trump but see DeSantis as a lost cause or a loose cannon.

If he's going for VP after what happened last time, lol. lmao.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Considering his abysmal showing in 2016 Christie is angling for cabinet or cushy posting. He has no broad appeal and even within his own state was the least popular governor in its history. Like with all things Republican, its a craven opportunity to raise his own public standing and try to weasel into a non-Trump admin job.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
To donors, DeSantis probably appears to want it too badly and is entirely willing to set his business relationships, staff, donors, and self on fire at a moment's notice to make red meat voter appeals. He may not be a true believer but he acts like one anyway. I'm not a campaign manager though so what do I know.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Chris christie wants to suicide bomb trump in the debates for a shot at being Ron DeSantis's VP. But the debates wont happen, if they did then hed actually get owned by Trump, and if he did own Trump then Ron DeSantis aint pickin him for VP in a million years

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Picturing Chris Christie as an angry bird angling to take out Trump and Desantis pigs in a primary

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hell yeah, this is now the Ozempic Primary

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
:lol: at the idea that any sort of charges will take Trump out of the running. Anybody still voting Republican will vote even harder if he ever got convicted because the thing he admitted to in his own words on live national television will be deep state lies that someone else faked to unfairly witch hunt him. The Republican clown car will absolutely get pantsed in the primary if Trump is still in the running, but wilder things have happened in life. He is one extra hamberder away from a life destroying stroke or whatever.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

OctaMurk posted:

Chris christie wants to suicide bomb trump in the debates for a shot at being Ron DeSantis's VP. But the debates wont happen, if they did then hed actually get owned by Trump, and if he did own Trump then Ron DeSantis aint pickin him for VP in a million years

Nah he’s gonna detonate DeSantis like he did Rubio and get snubbed by Trump again

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Baronash posted:

It is abundantly clear that nobody is earnestly interested in discussing current events regarding Tara Reade except as a segue to her earlier allegations. I don't care what you believe in your heart of hearts, but we're not going to use CE to litigate the believability of sexual assault allegations.

Ok.... and?

Are you forbidding discussion of her or setting parameters for talking about her? If it's the latter, then please set forth the boundaries a little more clearly. Thanks.

eta: I ask this so that there are clear guidelines that go beyond the old mod chestnut of "let's not do this anymore" in which "do this" isn't actually defined and "let's" is selectively applied.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 31, 2023

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

To be fair to people like Christie, Trump had loosely run for president for years and was a joke before it suddenly clicked, so I can understand people throwing in and seeing if maybe this is the year.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Idk who it is backing Chris Christie, but he's had at least a couple columns touting him in the New York Times recently.

I'd say his constituency is rich GOP donors who would prefer Not Trump but see DeSantis as a lost cause or a loose cannon.

If he's going for VP after what happened last time, lol. lmao.

It's the not-Trump crowd wishing for a hail-mary candidate to elevate since DeSantis has proven to be such a washout, as you said.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

kdrudy posted:

To be fair to people like Christie, Trump had loosely run for president for years and was a joke before it suddenly clicked, so I can understand people throwing in and seeing if maybe this is the year.

Also, Biden is an example of that too

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Willa Rogers posted:

Ok.... and?

Are you forbidding discussion of her or setting parameters for talking about her? If it's the latter, then please set forth the boundaries a little more clearly. Thanks.

eta: I ask this so that there are clear guidelines that go beyond the old mod chestnut of "let's not do this anymore" in which "do this" isn't actually defined and "let's" is selectively applied.

I think it's more "she can be a Russian asset now and also have been assaulted then, but her leaving for Russia is the actual current event".

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

He is one extra hamberder away from a life destroying stroke or whatever.

So is mr. Christie lol

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

one of the reasons i dont post in dnd much anymore is because the moderation culture is extremely permissive about rampant rape culture as long as the targets are deemed acceptable.

It’s impossible to internally reconcile the zero tolerance culture when it comes to which games you play, where you shop, or what industry you work for with “I voted for a rapist”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Even though Williamson has hardly any money flowing into her campaign, and even though she's already had major staff quit, she's showing up at an lol 9 percent in some polling:

quote:

According to her latest financial disclosures, Williamson has less than $250,000 cash on hand in her campaign account and hasn’t hit the airwaves yet. And the Democratic National Committee also said it won’t schedule any primary debates.

But even if Williamson is destined to be an also-ran in 2024, she’s polling higher than she did in 2020 — hitting 9 percent in a FOX News poll, which is higher than most of Donald Trump’s declared challengers in the GOP primary.

Even more notable (imo) is that RFK Jr. is getting 19 percent in the same poll, echoing a couple other recent polls:

quote:

Biden gets the backing of 62% of Democratic primary voters, far ahead of Robert Kennedy Jr. at 19% and Marianne Williamson at 9%. His opponents are most successful in peeling away support among women and Gen Xers, keeping Biden in the mid-fifties among both groups.

The poll finds that about the same number say they plan to participate in the Democratic (39%) and GOP (41%) primary or caucus in their state.

https://www.foxnews.com/official-polls/fox-news-poll-trump-still-top-2024-republican-preference-desantis-slipping