Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I've never heard of a dev patching in an exploit for speedrunners, that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
"This stage has the best music in the game" *talks over the music continuously throughout the entire stage*

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
this beard blade game looks cute and fun.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mooseontheloose posted:

this beard blade game looks cute and fun.

Yeah one of my favorite parts of GDQs is being introduced to indie titles like this that flew under my radar

ZiegeDame posted:

"This stage has the best music in the game" *talks over the music continuously throughout the entire stage*

Can't give away the whole thing for free, you just get a taste

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I remember Lizstar.

Mr. Bones was one hell of a game

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

DanielCross posted:

I've never heard of a dev patching in an exploit for speedrunners, that's pretty cool.

Shovel Knight is the classic example. They were updating the game to remove an exploit that runners used for overworld RNG that could cause problems for normal gamers, but also patched in a "if you're playing faster than this time, the game gives you this exact layout of rng"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
This Dharma Doujo game is kind of incomprehensible.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Really? It seems like a pretty simple matching game, just knock the blocks over to try and get a whole row of matches on the bottom.

Simple in concept that is, clearly not in execution given the time/space limit.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

WhiteHowler posted:

This Dharma Doujo game is kind of incomprehensible.

It took me a minute, but I think it's kind of clever. I'd play it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There's is also Hitman 3's method to go out-of-bounds or gain some height via... muffins.

From January's patch that added Freelancer mode (which will be featured in a run at SGDQ in several hours):

quote:

Muffins are delicious. But they can also be a powerful tool, especially when it comes to speedrunning. We’ve fixed the “issue” where players could use muffins to their advantage to get better times by exploiting it. Thing is, we did not intend to fix this, as we liked the content that came with it. Therefore – we will introduce the muffin trick again in a later patch this year. Until then, sorry speedrunners!

Supposedly fixed in this month's patch (the first time they updated again).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bremen posted:

It took me a minute, but I think it's kind of clever. I'd play it.

Okay, yeah, I get it now.

Edit: Oh wow, Gauntlet for the NES is next. That was... not a good port.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

yels has got extremely powerful wizard energy

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is Kungfufruitcup a poster here, the name sounds familiar?
I don't think so, but she's been hosting and doing interviews/sketches for GDQ basically forever, so you might just recognize her name from that.

WhiteHowler posted:

Edit: Oh wow, Gauntlet for the NES is next. That was... not a good port.
I never played the first game, but the NES version of Gauntlet II was pretty fun. IIRC, it was one of the first NES games to allow four players at once and it could be a blast to do so.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think we had a 'kungfu jesus' who was big in the LP subforum or something, if that's what your thinking of?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

DanielCross posted:

So there's this game called Celeste...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think there is a bit of a delay in the donations comments as I just heard one I did last night being read out just now.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I didn't realize that there was a Touhou game on the schedule. Impossible Spell Card is one of the cooler side-games in the series.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
The filename bidwar for my True Crime: New York City run tonight is now open. 7 characters, mid-2000s style new york state license plate.

musical_daredevil will be on couch (as well as KZ_FREW)!

Should be a fun time. I'll be in the practice room much of the day doing crimes.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
broke the game's structure

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

My +1 for hells kitchen tonight has cancelled

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sifu is on my wishlist, just waiting for a good deal on it. The combat looks excellent.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

excited for exodus of the earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZmY6q4ms4I

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Beasteh posted:

My +1 for hells kitchen tonight has cancelled

Good to know, thanks for the head’s up!

For everyone else, as a reminder we are meeting at 8:30 tonight!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
this game is very well programmed

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Quake 1/source games are always the most broken

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i love seeing weird obscure games like this, it's literally the first time i've ever so much as laid eyes on this title

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think the hybrid format kinda owns, love that some people can do online runs so people who can't afford to physically fly out still get to run for GDQ.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If this host says Two-Hoe one more time I swear

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Agent355 posted:

I think the hybrid format kinda owns, love that some people can do online runs so people who can't afford to physically fly out still get to run for GDQ.

yeah, i'm genuinely glad they found a way to integrate them in. catalystz is a great commentator and runner and it'd be a shame to not have people like that included

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Yeah. It helps make GDQ more international as people can just stream from their home countries if logistics make coming to the US a pain.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

If this host says Two-Hoe one more time I swear

lmao someone donated just to correct his pronunciation

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Anfauglir posted:

lmao someone donated just to correct his pronunciation

someone else just donated to ask him to continue using the incorrect pronunciation

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I like them blocked together more than I liked them randomly throughout. Getting into the groove of "deese gonna be remote" for a bit made it less jarring, and to me, annoying. Was a very nice call! Happy for them to stay.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Somehow my brain glossed over the NO ITEMS part of the category.

This is gonna be a thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Agent355 posted:

agreed

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The commentator for Touhou is pretty good at explaining what’s actually going on with this bullet hell

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:stare:

I'm always in awe of professional touhou runs but........jesus gently caress.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Miko commits highway robbery by way of double KO

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I literally can not track anything in this game. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cernunnos posted:

Miko commits highway robbery by way of double KO

That was such a heartbreaker.