Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Mr Snowden are you aware that you live in russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Grammarchist posted:

It's weird how much of a footnote the Afghanistan Withdrawal wound up being. I figured that would have been a foundational trauma for a whole new generation of CHUDs like the Vietnam Mythos, but it never gets brought up except when a Republican says they would have reinvaded. Russia actually starting a conventional European War really shattered reality for a lot of people.

I think some CHUD personalities really tried to push it, but it really does seem that the veterans of Afghanistan fully knew the war was hosed. Nearly all the angry vet takes I've seen were people being pissed that some guy/family who worked with them weren't getting evacuated to the states.

We definitely didn't get the "The politicians betrayed us!" poo poo (aimed at the doves in congress and not the ghouls like Kissinger that prolonged the war just for the US to lose outright instead of settling things with the two Vietnamese sides)

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

I was on the blufftrain myself once Russia demobilized part of their invasion force in spring/summer 2021 and sent part of the troops back to their bases, because that matched previous Russian trolling behavior. I got back on the invasion train for good once those troops got sent back to the staging grounds in fall of 2021

Right around the time of the US Presidential elections.

Remarkable coincidence, that.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Right around the time of the US Presidential elections.

Remarkable coincidence, that.

Those were in 2020 though

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Deki posted:

I think some CHUD personalities really tried to push it, but it really does seem that the veterans of Afghanistan fully knew the war was hosed. Nearly all the angry vet takes I've seen were people being pissed that some guy/family who worked with them weren't getting evacuated to the states.

We definitely didn't get the "The politicians betrayed us!" poo poo (aimed at the doves in congress and not the ghouls like Kissinger that prolonged the war just for the US to lose outright instead of settling things with the two Vietnamese sides)

Yeah, it really does seem that the general public were just sick and tired of it, and no longer cared. Millions of people dead and for nothing. Thank you, George W. Bush, your legacy is intact!

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

Those were in 2020 though

Ah, right- still drinking coffee this morning *shakes the cobwebs loose*

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Scam Likely posted:

Its genuinely insane how loudly and correctly the US gov called this war before it kicked off. To idiots like Snowden and Greenwald that was all "saber-rattling" and not, y'know, warning a victim that an attack on them was imminent.

Also offering putin a win and offramp, if he didn't invade he'd make the US look like idiots on the international stage.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Haystack posted:

It's really remarkable just how much the whole war on terror thing just sort of ran out of steam. As far as I can tell, everyone involved sort of got bored and frustrated with the whole thing and have gone into a holding pattern.

Just took 20 years

ISIS is still out there but I’m not sure anyone is clamoring for more US adventurism

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
If Putin had just yelled "PSYCHE" the day prior to the invasion and sent everyone home, he'd have embarrassed the US and perhaps critically undermined the Zelensky government and the Ukrainian economy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pontificating rear end posted:

Mr Snowden are you aware that you live in russia

do you think snowden, that racist barber, seagal etc. ever get together and bbq

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

If Putin had just yelled "PSYCHE" the day prior to the invasion and sent everyone home, he'd have embarrassed the US and perhaps critically undermined the Zelensky government and the Ukrainian economy.

This might have been one of the reasons for Zelenskyy downplaying the invasion and such in public leading up to the invasion. I remember him trying to temper some of the more direct American statements

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Realistically tho given how disorganized the invasion was, a last minute cancelation would have some orders go through anyway by accident. So maybe there would be an unsupported thrust into Chernobyl

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/MarxianDialogu1/status/1663534204888424449
West.... le bad, so Putin.... le good
:dumb:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Cugel the Clever posted:

But then Putin would have not been able to clean out his prisons and rebuild the USSR and expose the useless hypocrisy of NATO in a war he Very Clearly won is winning offscreen

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Samovar posted:

Yeah, it really does seem that the general public were just sick and tired of it, and no longer cared. Millions of people dead and for nothing. Thank you, George W. Bush, your legacy is intact!

Once they got Bin Laden, which was the originally the point of the whole thing, what was left to do? The only thing to be done was basically spend eternity pushing the Taliban back into the mountains on the border of Pakistan, like Sisyphus pushing the rock.

Now you have the Taliban rolling to the Iranian border in US military vehicles to throw down with Iran.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Victis posted:

Just took 20 years

ISIS is still out there but I’m not sure anyone is clamoring for more US adventurism

The Taliban is now fighting ISIS and Iran, so really the Afghanistan campaign was a success when you think about it. We just need to give them some more weapons.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

e: better to snip

zone fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 31, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

There are still US forces in the region fighting ISIS as well, so, basically, the US and Taliban are now on the same side.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

e: better to snip

That's shortly going to end up full of grifted tank engines and egg carton ERA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

How can you have such a lovely hot take and not realize how bad it sounds.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

How can you have such a lovely hot take and not realize how bad it sounds.

It functions like the deliberately badly-written Nigerian scam emails. You're trying to attract idiots, not smart people who will realize that something is up.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Lemme check the date on that, I bet that's old and they changed their mind given we're a year+ into the invasion.

Oh

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hitler also opposed the US empire.

So maybe hitlerian Marxism is actually Good.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1663798173129752579
They actually started moving around their heavy equipment? they must have lost quite a bit of kit in the Storm Shadow strikes
Though given the tank in question we see here is a T-62... lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Empire of Japan - the real good guys?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Hirohito really almost owned the libs

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
at least this one is honest about what they believe

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

hypercapitalist ethnic cleansing and gay bashing, progressivishly

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1663869261452910594
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1663880401109106688
Germany continuing to step up.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Putin is doing his best to prop up Russian gamer culture.

quote:

Apparently finding some free time on his hands, Russian president Vladimir Putin has ordered the establishment of an annual Russian Online Games "Cyberchampionship", Kommersant reports. An exec from Russia-based Lesta Games—Gaukhar Aldiyarova—told the outlet that Putin instructed the championship's establishment during a recent visit to an exhibition of creative industries at Moscow's Zotov Centre.

The tournament will feature such domestic Russian icons as World of Tanks, World of Warships, World of Tanks Blitz, and other homegrown hits. Those wouldn't be the versions of the games controlled by Wargaming, but rather the ones run by Lesta, to which Wargaming transferred the entirety of its Russian and Belarusian gaming business after Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Wargaming would not be involved at all.

"It'll be an all-Russian championship, from Vladivostok to Kaliningrad, where games from domestic developers and developers from friendly countries can be shown," Aldiyarova said. What does that mean exactly? Well, she had a couple of examples. League of Legends—from China's Tencent—would be more than welcome at the cyberchampionship, but Counter-Strike is verboten owing to its "one-sided coverage of political events within the game's universe".

That might sound a little absurd to you and me, but I suppose it was only earlier this month that Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat announced its intentions to smuggle info about the Ukraine war into Russia via CS:GO maps.
Perhaps it's that kind of thing, rather than the rich and textured political tapestry of CS:GO's deep lore, that Aldiyarova is referring to when she cites the game's "one-sided coverage".

https://www.pcgamer.com/putin-order...litical-events/

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

CommissarMega posted:

Maybe they can do like American defectors in North Korea and act as American villains in state propaganda.

People are really hyperventilating about this. The fact is, people defect to North Korea all the time. It doesn't mean anything.

No I am not coping

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

William Bear posted:

Emperor declares new daily gladiator fights at the Coliseum, entrance now open to all plebians! *empire around crumbling*

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 31, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hql0EVJUjdg
Insights from Ukraine and Russia posted a new video, where they translated part of a school textbook published recently by Russia. It's exactly as delusional as you think it might sound. :nms: for one picture of destroyed military equipment, towards the end of the video, no gore.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Critical support to Emperor Hirohito and Imperial Japanese Navy in the battle against imperialism

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I wasn't there but rumor has it that King George had a real problem with America, too.

Has it come around full circle yet, or do we have Neanderthal to thank?

Evolutionary upstarts!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

William Bear posted:

Excluding counter strike seems very ill advised for what is already very ill advised

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I wasn't there but rumor has it that King George had a real problem with America, too.

Has it come around full circle yet, or do we have Neanderthal to thank?

Evolutionary upstarts!

King George is also a leftist revolutionary that should be praised for his anti Americanism.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

King George is also a leftist revolutionary that should be praised for his anti Americanism.

:haibrower:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

oh nonono

They go on to say Nazis still bad, because actually their main adversary was

the Soviets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

King George would've freed the slaves 1807 :colbert: