Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dewgy posted:

TBH I think there’s a huge knee jerk reaction to a lot of AI stuff, I’ve seen people get ripped apart for using AI with their literal own drawings as the source for a stable diffusion build, which is quite frankly dumb as hell.

Because every single pushing it sucks in frankly incalculable ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Orv posted:

Because every single pushing it sucks in frankly incalculable ways.

Two Minute Papers is a human treasure you shut your god drat face. :colbert:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Iran Contra 2: Wings of Liberty

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

The interesting thing here is that a pair of strong bad games are coming soon to steam. https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Videlectrix

Odd timing for telltale to lose the rights just at this moment, after 15 years without a blip. Might be worth a panic buy, but there's a ghost of a chance it's getting a relaunch or remaster like the sam and max games did, with a new developer.

At least, I can dream.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Naw AI gives you exactly what you want it to if you know how to use it :shrug:

Post your nfts and/or crypto wallet

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

xedo posted:

The interesting thing here is that a pair of strong bad games are coming soon to steam. https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Videlectrix

Odd timing for telltale to lose the rights just at this moment, after 15 years without a blip. Might be worth a panic buy, but there's a ghost of a chance it's getting a relaunch or remaster like the sam and max games did, with a new developer.

At least, I can dream.

Yeah, it seems like the Brothers Chaps are getting into publishing their own Homestar games, so I could potentially see a Skunkape situation happen.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

Post your nfts and/or crypto wallet

Lol if you think all of the people who don't think the sky is falling because of AI are also NFT bros.

But I get it, association is a powerful tool right.

I'm sorry, it's been my job to help train AI since 2020 so it's just funny to me, it's a tool. No more no less, and it's been with us for far longer than you might realise.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 31, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

E: Oh, misread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
please Permanently Ban everyone discussing AI in the chat thread, except me. thank you.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tools have never been used against people

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Khanstant posted:

Tools have never been used against people

whoa wow :2bong:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

whatever you think of AI in general, using AI for *this* stuff when people paid for it on the assumption it would be crafted is *hilarious*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HopperUK posted:

whatever you think of AI in general, using AI for *this* stuff when people paid for it on the assumption it would be crafted is *hilarious*

It's loving Cyan, they LOVE writing journal entries!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

HopperUK posted:

Oh yeah definitely, in this context using AI is a total dick move but it’s still pretty funny.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The AI in civ vi sucks @$$

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AI: The Somnium Files was good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Lol if you think all of the people who don't think the sky is falling because of AI are also NFT bros.

But I get it, association is a powerful tool right.

I'm sorry, it's been my job to help train AI since 2020 so it's just funny to me, it's a tool. No more no less, and it's been with us for far longer than you might realise.

Post you ape

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of AI's next-gen use cases have been in the crypto/NFT and Web 3.0 space. It's telling that no one else is using it outside of these spaces.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dewgy posted:

TBH I think there’s a huge knee jerk reaction to a lot of AI stuff, I’ve seen people get ripped apart for using AI with their literal own drawings as the source for a stable diffusion build, which is quite frankly dumb as hell.
yea it's fine to build a dataset off your own work, but in this case Cyan is doing it to avoid paying artists/writers, and they haven't said yet what dataset they are using, they just crammed this AI info into the credits of the game and even the backers are just learning about this now

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 31, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its been very apparent from the start that AI art and writing is being pushed to replace artists and writers, its already being used across the industry to replace artists and writers, and that the biggest pushers of this are cryptobros who very, very obviously don't give a single poo poo about art and writing is a huge warning sign. There is a reason that all of Hollywood is (rightfully) striking over this. Like come on

Lets not sacrifice what's left of our humanity to the machines

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Feldegast42 posted:

Its been very apparent from the start that AI art and writing is being pushed to replace artists and writers, its already being used across the industry to replace artists and writers, and that the biggest pushers of this are cryptobros who very, very obviously don't give a single poo poo about art and writing is a huge warning sign. There is a reason that all of Hollywood is (rightfully) striking over this. Like come on

“From the start”? You mean this was the obvious endgame back when deep dream was turning everything into rainbow mutant dogs?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Yep. The only people I see pushing AI bullshit are people who are gleeful to destroy human creativity or have their coworkers fired to help reduce overhead.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

All of AI's next-gen use cases have been in the crypto/NFT and Web 3.0 space. It's telling that no one else is using it outside of these spaces.

AI/chatgpt has saved me a couple of hours at work in the past month. I used it to help me write a bunch of sql queries.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t see any benefit to AI stuff it shouldn’t exist

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hwurmp posted:

AI: The Somnium Files was good

this

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
the only AI I want to talk about is Allen Iverson

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

the only AI I want to talk about is Allen Iverson

goated

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dewgy posted:

it's because art communities on the internet are predominantly filled with amateur or semi-professional artists, and it's their industries that AI is hitting hardest and fastest; you're basically screwed if you relied on commissioned art for a living and don't already have a stable, loyal following, whereas professional artists still have relative job security due to copyright laws making the use of AI unfavorable for companies, though that might well change once they start getting tested in court

there's obviously gains to be had - indie gamedevs will certainly benefit from not having to pump more of their meagre budgets into VO or background art - but it's a robbing peter to pay paul situation, and i think you can understand the consternation over that from people who went from being marginally employed to completely bereft in the blink of an eye

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some people object to like, the entire idea of AI creating art or predictive text, which I don't really understand. Humans have automated very broad aspects of our lives for centuries and there's nothing particularly novel about LLMs or deep learning. From a certain disconnected point of view, AI generated art can be interesting to study. The problems with AI are mostly political. Automation will only increase and our economic system as it stands cannot support a reality where 25-40% of people are going to have nothing to do. White collar workers somehow think they're safe from this when the first jobs AI will wipe out are the computer touchers.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

AI sucks because humans made it, not because it isn't cool technology. Every tech gadget gizmo whatever that we make, we immediately turn it into the worst version of itself, no monkey's paw required.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mutata posted:

AI sucks because humans made it, not because it isn't cool technology. Every tech gadget gizmo whatever that we make, we immediately turn it into the worst version of itself, no monkey's paw required.

Toasters are cool

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the labor force must be de-skilled for its own good, thank you AI

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mutata posted:

yeah. for instance we created the playstation 1, which had games, and turned it into the playstation 5, which has no games!!!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lol. how is anyone supposed to react to this. "actively discussing"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I said come in! posted:

you are literally saying this in a discussion that started because a non-crypto, non-web 3.0 game developer used AI for tons of things in their new game

(not taking a stance on whether it's inherently bad or good, but saying "all AI is NFT poo poo" ignores reality)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Some people object to like, the entire idea of AI creating art or predictive text, which I don't really understand.
i find it entirely easy to understand actually lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
imagining a company putting out a press release that they're "in active discussions" on adding a black character or some poo poo

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Andrast posted:

Toasters are cool

try plugging it in

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

please Permanently Ban everyone discussing AI in the chat thread, except me. thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Relax Or DIE posted:

try plugging it in

lol