Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Human Child Goes To Genocide Junction Summer Camp

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Vargo fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 31, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Compare and contrast:

and finally

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Compare and contrast:

and finally

You've highlighted what I think I find weirdest about the change: The inclusion of that Wallace-style hyper-stylized facial expression in the third panel.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Spud is relatable in so many ways.

Kazinsal posted:

You've highlighted what I think I find weirdest about the change: The inclusion of that Wallace-style hyper-stylized facial expression in the third panel.
Yeah, that's the only part that really doesn't hit right imo.

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

RE: Earlier discussion, yeah, this is 100% posted because it's bad(but generally the entertaining kind of bad). This arc is particularly gross but also Dick Tracy is fundamentally always going to be a copaganda comic(and this is 2004, so terrorism-brand racism was the cultural zeitgeist), so...

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

I don't know enough about pinball history to know if there was ever one that dumped out coins like a slot machine as shown here. But it was common for pinball machines the 30s and 40s to reward high scorers with free games, which the owner of the store would "buy back" from you, wink wink nudge nudge, as a way to dodge anti-gambling laws.

Speaking of nudging, pinball machines with flippers wouldn't come along until late 1947, so at this point being able to deftly nudge the machine without setting off the tilt alarm was necessary if you were gonna rack up the big scores.
So it's more like pachinko, where to this day the machines pay out balls that you can redeem for snacks or win tokens (which a nearby booth will buy from you for cash (the booth and pachinko parlors are 100% unaffiliated it is not gambling whatever would give you that idea)). Interesting stuff!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 27, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

This is the same Anthony that Liz eventually ends up marrying despite every reader hating the guy for being a boring nothingburger, right? Same dude who pressured his wife into having children despite her not wanting kids because she's a career woman?

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Reminder that Older Maria here had no memories of Earth almost getting destroyed by a meteor, despite it being big news at the time, so she had to have come from a divergent timeline. Everyone's an idiot here for assuming Kid Maria will follow in Older Maria's exact footsteps.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 07, 1957)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Stiff-necked, toplofty, plaster saint

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I'll add that "uhri" is a noun that can mean either a sacrifice or a victim. However if one voluntarily becomes "uhri", the verb "uhrautua" means noble self-sacrificing (literal or figurative), while "uhriutua" refers lovely victim-playing.

(knowing it doesn't add much to the joke, just a neat feat of language)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 31, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(january 14, 1917)

Little Nemo(June 10, 1906)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kennel posted:

I'll add that "uhri" is a noun that can mean either a sacrifice or a victim. However if one voluntarily becomes "uhri", the verb "uhrautua" means noble self-sacrificing (literal or figurative), while "uhriutua" refers lovely victim-playing.

(knowing it doesn't add much to the joke, just a neat feat of language)

Yes that's a good addition, I meant to post something along those lines but I was doing a quick translation during a boring meeting and forgot.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Where's Aleta, anyway? She'll sort Val out, pronto.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Batri

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/30/03

Brenda Starr 1/29-31/51

Smokey Stover 12/19/54

Everyday Movies 6/18/36

"The cards say 'prosperity and good fortune." Course I don't believe it but it's kinda interestin'."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/28-30/41

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I hope it's a secret secret identity.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Can anyone accurately predict what'll happen next in Scarlet? :allears:

"This guy needs another deep secret!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

No, give ME the baby-sized mozzarella stick

...I don't think any of us had "Secret Trap Door Beneath the Villainous Orphanage Director's Office!" on our Scarlet Bingo Cards. Though we really should have, given how things have gone thus far.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Good news! Teslas have settings for how much of a dick you want your car to be before it runs over a baby and explodes!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hostile V posted:

Human Child Goes To Genocide Junction Summer Camp

They are only nocturnal when its conveniant for the story. They are up and about during the day all the time.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Alterian posted:

They are only nocturnal when its conveniant for the story. They are up and about during the day all the time.

What really bugs me about this is how in the previous strip, Lindesfarne and Fenton decide that they should approach Rudy by trying to manipulate/guilt him into doing this favor for them. Lindesfarne and Rudy have been step-siblings for years and went through a lot of storylines learning to like each other; they absolutely don't need to trick Rudy into spending time with his own niece.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

amigolupus posted:

Reminder that Older Maria here had no memories of Earth almost getting destroyed by a meteor, despite it being big news at the time, so she had to have come from a divergent timeline. Everyone's an idiot here for assuming Kid Maria will follow in Older Maria's exact footsteps.

It's still weird to me to marry an alternative timeline version of your best friend's daughter who is a 4 year old or something in your timeline. Maybe creepy even.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

...Said no high school senior ever.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Russell appears to be roughly 65 years old. Gonna be a literal senior year for him, I guess.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Good Listener posted:

It's still weird to me to marry an alternative timeline version of your best friend's daughter who is a 4 year old or something in your timeline. Maybe creepy even.

One thing I remember when it was revealed Older Maria was a time traveler was that DNA Wizard seriously thought Maria was her romantic rival for the sunglasses dude back before the two got married. It's such a creepy way to ingratiate yourself into your mom's friend group.

Then there's the utter stupidity of the time DNA Wizard was about to go into labor and Older Maria decides to time travel to the future and spend years learning how to be a midwife, just so she can deliver her past self. Except it must've taken her a couple decades for some reason because she came back with white hair and looking visibly older. :psyduck:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Good to see a normalized depiction of gay men dating.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

amigolupus posted:

One thing I remember when it was revealed Older Maria was a time traveler was that DNA Wizard seriously thought Maria was her romantic rival for the sunglasses dude back before the two got married. It's such a creepy way to ingratiate yourself into your mom's friend group.

Then there's the utter stupidity of the time DNA Wizard was about to go into labor and Older Maria decides to time travel to the future and spend years learning how to be a midwife, just so she can deliver her past self. Except it must've taken her a couple decades for some reason because she came back with white hair and looking visibly older. :psyduck:

was Leo already a character by then and then was revealed to be her son? or was he introduced here too

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bumping to the top, the bit of Out Our Way some of you have been waiting for: the day the Japanese Imperial Navy disrupted a perfectly serviceable Michael Bay romantic triangle.

Or, in the words of someone a little more serious-minded, several years later: "Congress took only eight minutes to declare war on Germany; and in the same session, it took only five minutes to declare war on Japan, but between this war and the last one, the world took twenty years trying to declare peace, and then couldn't do it."

Coming soon to a single-panel cartoon near you: the actual war. So it goes. :patriot:

Anyway, for your consideration, how a couple of favorites shared a Sunday page on December 7, 1941.

(December 8-10, 1941, timg'd for a borderline First Nation gag.)

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (June 25, 1935)

Peanuts (June 2, 1976)

Crankshaft, in which Bean's End somehow manages online ordering with next-day delivery and lets you pay for it with a paper check.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 30, 1939)

Still waiting for yesterday's Olive & Popeye.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 8, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

was Leo already a character by then and then was revealed to be her son? or was he introduced here too

Checking the previous threads, Leo was already an established character for at least a couple years before the reveal. And I think the other characters also knew he was actual Leonardo Da Vinci, and his mom brought him to the present with her time travel powers? It's just that no one could've predicted his mom was actually Older Maria, because why would you even think that'd happen? After the reveal, Leo also mentions he knew everything, so it adds to the creepiness in their interactions with the others.

It's so loving dumb.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I started imagining Hal Foster cleans up the dialogue for when he narrates what happens in Valiant.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

davidspackage posted:

I started imagining Hal Foster cleans up the dialogue for when he narrates what happens in Valiant.

Holy poo poo :lmao:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I loving hate Crankshaft.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy