Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

rafikki posted:

What does that say about the quality of your emails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If I was Sirotan would just send that lovely avatar as my emails everywhere it makes me happy every time I see it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rafikki posted:

What does that say about the quality of your emails?

Lmfao

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

god drat what a burn

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

god drat what a burn

Wish there was a good way to turn it into a thread title.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

pretend i posted the bernie sanders meme saying "i am once again asking you to update the thread title" without having to figure out this imgur apocalypse workaround

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Rick posted:

If I was Sirotan would just send that lovely avatar as my emails everywhere it makes me happy every time I see it.

:glomp:

rafikki got me good, though the thing I emailed myself might be of interest to other folks here: the link to a Facebook class action so I wouldn't forget to file a claim to get $0.63 five years from now https://facebookuserprivacysettlement.com/#submit-claim

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yes, call me six times every 2 minutes an hour before I'm on call. Do not leave a message, this will definitely endear me to giving a poo poo.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Cleaning up more fun messes in elasticsearch! Today our problem child is network flow logs. Literally just “SOURCE IP X.X.X.X DESTINATION IP Y.Y.Y.Y” from AWS VPC flow logs. Our security team and one of our infrastructure guys threw this together by logging everything to s3, having our logging parsing system read from there and post to elasticsearch.

Only problem is they did this without any monitoring, performance considerations, or data handling. Just casually dumped it into elastic. This consisted of about a billion (literally, not figuratively) separate documents per day, making up 98% of the total volume of logging ingest we do on a daily basis. 125TB of required storage capacity across the 90 day data lifetime when our current cluster max is 45TB. No custom index template so we had 100gb shards. When you take into account memory requirements, handling this data would require a cluster twenty six times larger than we have currently. we *already* spend roughly 10k/month on infrastructure costs for this system, and that’s excluding licensing costs (~250k/yr) which are also predicated on size.

anyways needless to say the project is now dead, my cluster is much happier and no longer sending tcp 0 windows due to backpressure 5-10x every minute, and we all learned a valuable lesson about checking with your SRE before you start handling big data.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 10, 2023

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Sec Ops promising to automate my patch deployment and then me ending up with a bunch of

Security Update - Security Update

on my SCCM deployments without a goddamn hint of what and where things are being sent without drilling in, very nice, more AI everywhere please

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

love being goaded into updating to visual studio 2022 when about once a month the solution to "why doesnt this extension work" is "vs 2022 isn't supported, downgrade to vs 2019"

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

The Iron Rose posted:

anyways needless to say the project is now dead, my cluster is much happier and no longer sending tcp 0 windows due to backpressure 5-10x every minute, and we all learned a valuable lesson about checking with your SRE before you start handling big data.

The bolded part is unreasonably optimistic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ElGroucho posted:

Sec Ops promising to automate my patch deployment and then me ending up with a bunch of

on my SCCM deployments without a goddamn hint of what and where things are being sent without drilling in, very nice, more AI everywhere please
This physically hurts me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The bolded part is unreasonably optimistic.

Yeah, no joke there. The problem described is the same problem as poo poo from 20 years ago with different product names. An issue I've been dealing with for the past week, with tons other engineers spending countless engineer hours, ends up being "some applications aren't optimized to communicate to a database across a WAN and introducing that latency is going to result in poor performance." When I heard "we are migrating a database and performance is bad" I knew exactly what the issue was, I'm sure everyone else did too, and yet here we are.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This makes me so happy I dont have to admin Elasticsearch anymore.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

love being goaded into updating to visual studio 2022 when about once a month the solution to "why doesnt this extension work" is "vs 2022 isn't supported, downgrade to vs 2019"

You should be updating to a Jetbrains IDE.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FlapYoJacks posted:

Just use Vim and compile in the terminal.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Just use Vim and compile in the terminal.

:haibrow:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This makes me so happy I dont have to admin Elasticsearch anymore.

I just resolved a new problem, which at least I was actually responsible for, that killed about 75% of new logs for our primary service because we had an explosive dynamic field type explosion. Our parser had an api_params field with several thousand different possible fields.

It’s been dropped now, folks can just use the inverted index and partial string matches on the full json blob in “message” if there was anything there they actually cared about. that’s at least actually indexed as a text field. Still need to update a bunch of field mappings so we can do minor things like, idk, partial matches on kubernetes pod names, and then reindex everything, and then there’s the type conflicts in the data view and aaaaaghhhhhhhh

gently caress elasticsearch is what I’m saying.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I spent about 30 min today making GBS threads on elasticsearch in a client meeting lmao fuckkkkk running it yourself

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

KillHour posted:

The fraud person said they had the last 4 of my credit card and my CVV code, so they're sending me a new card. Wonder how they got it.

Its likely you were compromised from somewhere during the april Genesis Market shutdown. The day after the raid went down i had my credit card frozen after someone tried to spend 20$ on some lovely stealthwriter AI thing.

(all it takes is one lovely merchant saving things in plaintext for example, a camera/skimmer at a store, or other incompetence)

source
This was a month ago in april, *but* it put a time limit on bad actors who bought the stolen accounts to use it before everyone went 'oh poo poo better change everything'.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

not only do I have to ingest all that flow data (at least we only need to keep 14 days now), but I have to spin up a new EKS cluster and migrate a 15TB elasticsearch cluster because our we ran out of IP space in the existing subnet. EKS, the worst managed kubernetes service, doesn’t let you expand or add new subnets to existing clusters*.

:suicide:

*it does but you don’t get cluster ENIs

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 11, 2023

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we just pay for data dog

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I’m just going to take downtime, size up the existing node pool, and then move our company out of AWS into GCP and Azure to avoid the inevitable scaling cap.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

conversation I just had:

dev: my app won't deploy to prod
me: what is the error
message?
dev: connection timeout
me: what agent pool are you using?
dev: non-prod

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Why does SharePoint suck so much? We have a client we're looking to migrate from Citrix ShareFile; one of the main requirements is that they're able to retain relative links to PDFs in Excel cells, which works just fine at the moment since the ShareFile sync app simply maps/acts like a local S: drive. While testing with an example .xlsx file located in a synced SharePoint library, the hyperlinks open in a web browser rather than the locally-installed Acrobat desktop application, because it's basically just a web URL now. There's no way around this as far as I can tell, with the only exceptions of course being "supported Office file types" being able to open in their native Word/Excel/PowerPoint desktop versions. gently caress off, Microsoft!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I deploy some new Meraki APs to a site, they are the first to get them outside of our lab. I ask people onsite to give me feedback, test it a bunch and just let me know how it works. I hear nothing from anyone there.

Then today, I get a email from the IT director with a note from someone there complaining about the wireless. Instead of telling me, they instead just took their bitching right to the top. Nevermind we were forced to send these out before testing was done, and we even had test environment that wasn't a lab.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

MiniFoo posted:

Why does SharePoint suck so much? We have a client we're looking to migrate from Citrix ShareFile; one of the main requirements is that they're able to retain relative links to PDFs in Excel cells, which works just fine at the moment since the ShareFile sync app simply maps/acts like a local S: drive. While testing with an example .xlsx file located in a synced SharePoint library, the hyperlinks open in a web browser rather than the locally-installed Acrobat desktop application, because it's basically just a web URL now. There's no way around this as far as I can tell, with the only exceptions of course being "supported Office file types" being able to open in their native Word/Excel/PowerPoint desktop versions. gently caress off, Microsoft!

If you contact Microsoft, they’ll explain that SharePoint is integrated primarily with Office Online. As a former SharePoint Online admin, my advice is to go with the flow because fighting Microsoft’s model is a pain in the rear end.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

FlapYoJacks posted:

This brings back memories of being one of the Teamcity admins for our entire development pipeline.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm working with a VR headset and I'm checking out a feature that allows the headset to quickly establish tracking and position in a space with the assistance of an ArUco marker.

I think it's working? It seems to do what I want it to do, but the system gives absolutely no feedback. No feedback when setting it up whether it's been done correctly. No feedback on whether it is scanning for it. No feedback whether it has succeeded or failed.

It works consistently and I'm seeing the expected behaviour when for example the ArUco marker isn't visible but when it comes into view, then the tracking is established. But there's nothing on the UI, nothing in the logs that confirms that the system is doing what I think it's doing.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 23, 2023

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fragrag posted:

It works consistently and I'm seeing the expected behaviour when for example the ArUco marker isn't visible but when it comes into view, then the tracking is established. But there's nothing on the UI, nothing in the logs that confirms that the system is doing what I think it's doing.

Plausible deniability

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Well I confirmed it was working by looking at an identical marker in a different location and it launched me into space. Real fun

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I found out today that our service desk/call center people got a call about a user saying they had a beeping in their network closest, so they had the person unplug the UPS from the wall, and then plug the switch into the wall. Then hung up and transferred the ticket.
At no point in the ticket was it mentioned that they did this. Also, they aren't supposed to do this. Not only that, the UPS that was beeping wasn't even on the network equipment.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Almost as good as the time the cleaner unplugged the UPS to plug in his floor polisher. Management never locked the server room door, and learned absolutely nothing from it.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
ITSec taking deployment of AV and definition updates away from Systems. Because how hard can SCCM really be? I haven't had to actively work with SCCM in years but I still nurture a healthy fear and loathing of the platform. There are so many ways to break that stupid pig into removing custom policies and rerolling default settings with no exclusions to clients, which fucks with Developer workflows every time it happens. And since ITSec is incapable of following change control procedures, the whole of IT looks like complete dicks every time it happens.

Also pissing me off: I haven't been disillusioned enough with my job to regularly look at or post in this thread in a long time. I am not happy to be here again.

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 31, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

afflictionwisp posted:

ITSec taking deployment of AV and definition updates away from Systems. Because how hard can SCCM really be? I haven't had to actively work with SCCM in years but I still nurture a healthy fear and loathing of the platform. There are so many ways to break that stupid pig into removing custom policies and rerolling default settings with no exclusions to clients, which fucks with Developer workflows every time it happens. And since ITSec is incapable of following change control procedures, the whole of IT looks like complete dicks every time it happens.

Also pissing me off: I haven't been disillusioned enough with my job to regularly look at or post in this thread in a long time. I am not happy to be here again.

Nobody sane of mind pushes AV updates from SCCM, you can set it up to have feature/quality with SCCM and AV using windows update and avoid nonsense.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

afflictionwisp posted:

And since ITSec is incapable of following change control procedures,
:stonk:
What do they think their job is?

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

Bargearse posted:

Almost as good as the time the cleaner unplugged the UPS to plug in his floor polisher. Management never locked the server room door, and learned absolutely nothing from it.

I feel like that exact thing happens at every workplace. We supposedly had a switch stack that would go down most weekday evenings, turns out vacuuming was the crux of it.

They did get told to not do that once it was unearthed. This was before my time, but I’ve heard it enough that it’s not just folklore.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Nobody sane of mind pushes ... from SCCM

I've been primarily storage services / vm hosting for near a decade now, so I just kinda watch from the sidelines. Seen so many people come and go on that platform. The lifespan of an SCCM admin seems to be about two years max from enthusiasm to complete burnout.

I've tried to warn them. One of my fondest memories is a colleague coming to me and saying, "I understand now. You were right. I thought you just hated your job, but this thing is loving awful!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

:stonk:
What do they think their job is?

The job of IT Security? Of course their job is to obstruct business, and skipping change controls is a great way to aid that goal.

(Part of this post may be in jest.)