Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Whether Tara Reade’s accusations are credible doesn’t matter one iota. Biden is a sex pest due to a whole host of evidence that doesn’t rely on her at all, and Reade is obviously a Russia sympathizing moron. Both things can be true.

There’s no point in even investigating her credibility as an accuser because none of the important conclusions rely on it!

Given what we know about Tara Reade's life, being an America-sympathizer would be even more moronic. She probably doesn't get death threats in Russian. I don't really understand all the skepticism/hatred, even the biggest American patriot/Reade disbeliever ought to see why she might have a bit of a grudge with America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Which naturally justifies making yourself a propaganda asset for an imperialist fascist regime that’s using its military to expand its borders.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The choices are not USA or Russia. Being upset about mistreatment in the USA does not mean you need to run to a country currently in the middle of a genocidal war they started while they black bag a government official every week.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

The fact that it would have to go in front of a court at all means that the 14th amendment option would deal a significant blow to the economy. "The US public debt is in limbo as the Supreme Court decides whether or not to declare some of the payments unconstitutional" isn't quite as bad as default, but it's actually still pretty bad.

That's why the 14th Amendment option and the trillion-dollar coin are emergency plans of absolute last resort, not easy magic tricks that instantly make this borderline constitutional crisis go away forever with zero consequences.

Here's my problem with this statement: obeying the constitution should not be a "trick". But, apparently, the only way to take legal action under the 14th amendment regarding faith in the public debt is to undermine that faith, so the amendment is functionally powerless. That's seems really inconvenient if it's true.

I don't think it's true because every debt ceiling discussion is a debate about whether to default, and society hasn't collapsed yet, so some kind of 14th amendment lawsuit about whether the US can default can't possibly be worse (for faith) than Congress and the White House explicitly saying "we're going to bargain under the assumption that the US can totally default if we don't reach a bipartisan consensus" every year or two.

Not only can the president use the 14th amendment, but by negotiating the debt ceiling he's openly undermining the constitution by perpetuating a fake default crisis.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Doesn't the "standing" for the 14th require issuing treasury bonds for beyond the debt limit, and if the Supreme Court says no to the argument you now have a bunch of worthless treasury bonds which would erode far more faith than constant debt limit fights.

Of course, you would have the Supreme Court pressured heavily into saying "yes" as the colapse of the US and global economy would result but who the gently caress knows how they would vote.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PerniciousKnid posted:

Given what we know about Tara Reade's life, being an America-sympathizer would be even more moronic. She probably doesn't get death threats in Russian. I don't really understand all the skepticism/hatred, even the biggest American patriot/Reade disbeliever ought to see why she might have a bit of a grudge with America.

The country she is shilling for is actively running a genocide that involves large scale rape. Shilling on the same news platform. What’s her grudge against women in Zaporizhzhia or Mariupol or female soldiers in russian captivity?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
edit: I made a dumb post

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 31, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

Doesn't the "standing" for the 14th require issuing treasury bonds for beyond the debt limit, and if the Supreme Court says no to the argument you now have a bunch of worthless treasury bonds which would erode far more faith than constant debt limit fights.

Of course, you would have the Supreme Court pressured heavily into saying "yes" as the colapse of the US and global economy would result but who the gently caress knows how they would vote.

I think it would be more interesting for Biden to announce that he's going to prioritize welfare spending and stop paying energy subsidies, military supply payments, etc. until he has sufficient credit authority to meet those demands. Basically, hold Republican priorities hostage under the theory that "I can't currently make the payments I expected to make under Congress' budget laws so I'm prioritizing X Y and Z under executive discretion".

The safer (Constitutionally) option would be to "mint the coin", i.e. to use what authority he has to obey all Congressional laws by minting a $1T coin with his face on the front and a muscle car on the back, or to issue zero-face coupon bonds or whatever else allows him to spend what he's supposed to spend without exceeding the statutory default limit, while also respecting his Constitutional duty to pay all US debts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

cat botherer posted:

On the other hand,

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1659911596640985088

I'm sure all their camp followers are happy and liberated, just as this puff piece says. The invasion was evil, but it's bizarre to call it a genocide unless we're just going to water that term down beyond all meaning.

This whole discussion has been weird, but I am very confused about what that article is supposed to be "on the other hand"-ing.

What is the similarity between Ukrainian sex workers saying they are moving to areas with lots of troops because there is tons of money to be made there + it is the town that soldiers with wives and girlfriends organize they romantic leave around and the organized mass rape of prisoners of war and civilians?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This whole discussion has been weird, but I am very confused about what that article is supposed to be "on the other hand"-ing.

What is the similarity between Ukrainian sex workers saying they are moving to areas with lots of troops because there is tons of money to be made there + it is the town that soldiers with wives and girlfriends organize they romantic leave around and the organized mass rape of prisoners of war and civilians?
That was a bad post, sorry. However, the broader point is that rape is always the stalking horse of war. There's nothing particularly unique about the U/R war in that respect. America has also had, uh, issues in this respect with its recent foreign adventures.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

cat botherer posted:

On the other hand,

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1659911596640985088

I'm sure all their camp followers are happy and liberated, just as this puff piece says. The invasion was evil, but it's bizarre to call it a genocide unless we're just going to water that term down beyond all meaning.

Are you trying to make an "actually Ukrainians are raping too" argument? Even if they were, how does that "on the other hand" anything?

Maybe don't try and downplay rape.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Are you trying to make an "actually Ukrainians are raping too" argument? Even if they were, how does that "on the other hand" anything?

Maybe don't try and downplay rape.
I'm not downplaying it (or at least I didn't intend to), but neither is Reade.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

McCarthy is trying to win over skeptical House Republicans who are upset that there were only minor spending cuts in the debt ceiling bill.

He is proposing a bipartisan committee made up of House members to look at the budget.

You could even call it the "House Budget Committee" or the "House Appropriations Committee" and make them permanent. Then, they can look at the entire budget every single year.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1663924715474366465

I'm not sure if McCarthy is extremely dumb, he thinks everyone else is extremely dumb, he has nothing to offer and is just making things up, or some combination of all three.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The country she is shilling for is actively running a genocide that involves large scale rape. Shilling on the same news platform. What’s her grudge against women in Zaporizhzhia or Mariupol or female soldiers in russian captivity?

I probably shouldn't speculate about Tara Reade's private thoughts, but I doubt that she moved to Russia because of a grudge against Mariupol women.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

cat botherer posted:

The invasion was evil, but it's bizarre to call it a genocide unless we're just going to water that term down beyond all meaning.

Given Putin's repeated denial that Ukrainians are a distinct people from Russians and denial that Ukraine as a nation has a right to exist, the discovery of numerous civilian mass graves and other evidence of war crimes in liberated Ukrainian territory, the open intent and constant attempts by the Russian military to destroy myriad civilian targets, the fact that the ICC has issued an arrest warrant for Putin for kidnapping tens to hundreds of thousands of children... I'm curious, what would they need to be doing before you didn't think it was "bizarre" to call the war genocidal?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I would guess her decision to move to Russia is related to her decision to spend the past year and a half using her personal social media accounts to promote the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Any news on the debt ceiling? Is Kevin McCarthy flying too close to the sun?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Chris Christie is inexplicably deciding to give it another go.

I'm somewhat surprised that 2024 seems to be exceeding the clown car level of 2016. We're up to 12 declared/soon to be declared candidates already. And that is not counting the incredibly minor candidates like Corey Stapleton or Perry Johnson.

I'm not sure why so many people are falling on their sword this year. I'm guessing they thought Trump would be weaker/not run and have been making preparations for the last two years that they don't want to just throw away. But, even if there was a breakout against Trump in the primary, by having over a dozen candidates you are effectively making it more and more impossible for that (already small) chance breakout to ever actually occur.

His plan is to hope that Trump doesn't skip the debates and try to own him on stage, argue that he is the only conservative who can win over enough independents and Democrats to win, and be the only one who can make the tough decisions and do the truth-telling needed to get the country back on track.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1663874698877321216

Christie probably is the only one who could land and take punches from Trump in debates but who knows if he’ll bother.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

It passed the Rules Committee so it’s going to pass and then the chuds decide when/how to retaliate.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/30/chris-stewart-resign-congress-00099283

So Chris Stewart of Utah’s 2nd Congressional District is resigning.

Since it is Utah I assume he will likely be replaced by another Republican after a special election.

Does the GOP having one less rep make any difference during the period in between? There also seems to have been no news on George Santos lately.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

"The wax will drip off any day now" is what I have heard his entire run as speaker, but this is his biggest challenge to date.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zwabu posted:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/30/chris-stewart-resign-congress-00099283

So Chris Stewart of Utah’s 2nd Congressional District is resigning.

Since it is Utah I assume he will likely be replaced by another Republican after a special election.

Does the GOP having one less rep make any difference during the period in between? There also seems to have been no news on George Santos lately.

It makes extremely tight votes on partisan lines even closer, but not direct impact right away. Santos isn't going away and still plans to run for re-election and fight his charges. McCarthy isn't going to support expelling him or encourage him to resign, but he did remove him from his committees.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

Here's my problem with this statement: obeying the constitution should not be a "trick". But, apparently, the only way to take legal action under the 14th amendment regarding faith in the public debt is to undermine that faith, so the amendment is functionally powerless. That's seems really inconvenient if it's true.

I don't think it's true because every debt ceiling discussion is a debate about whether to default, and society hasn't collapsed yet, so some kind of 14th amendment lawsuit about whether the US can default can't possibly be worse (for faith) than Congress and the White House explicitly saying "we're going to bargain under the assumption that the US can totally default if we don't reach a bipartisan consensus" every year or two.

Not only can the president use the 14th amendment, but by negotiating the debt ceiling he's openly undermining the constitution by perpetuating a fake default crisis.

The Supreme Court doesn't take questions about theoretical future events. To litigate whether something violates the Constitution, they generally require the alleged Constitutional violation to have already happened*. "Congress defaulted" is a violation of the 14th Amendment, but "Congress might default soon" is not.

And in the context of the debt ceiling, that means that either Congress must force the US to default (in which case the Constitutional violation would be a violation of Section 4 of the 14th Amendment), or the executive branch would have to take out more debt than the debt ceiling allows (in which case the violation would be the executive branch violating the debt ceiling law).

Yes, this means that the 14th Amendment is not a complete and total protection from any sort of economic disruption. While the Supreme Court should guarantee the debt, getting a Supreme Court ruling on the validity of the debt means that someone has to have done enough to threaten the debt, which in turn is more than enough to somewhat spook debtholders.

* Note that they also require the complainer to establish standing, but I'm ignoring standing in this post because I find it confusing and annoying.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why should we care who she's shilling for or why? She's not a powerful person of any kind. She's not a political leader or a billionaire bundler. She's a random nobody who's completely non-notable, except for the fact that she accused Joe Biden of sexual assault. I don't think it matters at all that she's shilling for Russia. The only way it could really matter is how it affects her credibility on the single reason any of us even remembers her name. But not only is that particular subject off-limits, but I also don't seriously think this would meaningfully change anyone's mind on that subject to begin with.

On the other hand, I absolutely think it matters that Russia is shilling for her. And that's not just a semantic quibble. The difference between "Tara Reade shilling for Russia" and "Russia shilling for Tara Reade" is that the Russian government is much more powerful and influential than Tara Reade is, and able to do much more in service of far larger-ranging plans.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

America is much worse than Russia. Every day America bombs and invades nations, rapes women and kills non-whites. Russia is an anti-imperial force and is defending itself against the liberal capitalist order and America on its doorstep. Death to America.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It’s impossible to internally reconcile the zero tolerance culture when it comes to which games you play, where you shop, or what industry you work for with “I voted for a rapist”.
are you really comparing the moral calculus of pursrchasing a recreational something made by a company headed by a creep to if you'll support a creep to be a political leader of some sort?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Somaen posted:

America is much worse than Russia. Every day America bombs and invades nations, rapes women and kills non-whites. Russia is an anti-imperial force and is defending itself against the liberal capitalist order and America on its doorstep. Death to America.

lol

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
But seriously it is always wild to me to see people claim that Russia is "anti-imperialist" as Russia's government actively and openly works to reclaim the borders of the literal Tsarist empire, and has been doing so for over 30 years.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

PerniciousKnid posted:

She's had some interest/sympathies with Russia even before her public allegations. It's possible those were born out of people not taking her allegations seriously and growing disillusionment with the american government up to that point, but I don't think she was getting death threats about it until she went public and by that time there's already evidence she was sympathetic towards Russia and Putin.

But the stupid thing is that all doesn't MEAN anything at all. We don't need to make excuses for her about why she decided to jump on the Russian bandwagon, and we can criticize the decision by itself without involving her past allegations.

yronic heroism posted:

It passed the Rules Committee so it’s going to pass and then the chuds decide when/how to retaliate.

It'll pass with majority Dem and slim Republican support, McCarthy will get a no confidence vote from the HFC, but he'll be kept in power by the Democrats unless something really crazy and dumb happens and they manage to get Jeffries in instead. I would guess though that if they try to do a vote for a new speaker then all the deals he made for the first vote are done and theoretically he might be able to secure the speaker position again without dumb deals like "any member can call for a vote on a new speaker"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But seriously it is always wild to me to see people claim that Russia is "anti-imperialist" as Russia's government actively and openly works to reclaim the borders of the literal Tsarist empire, and has been doing so for over 30 years.

That's a little unfair, they don't want to regain all of Tsarist empire, just the parts they believe to be racially inferior (to relief of Finland).

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I don't know if this is good analogy or not but if you miss a credit card payment your credit rating gets damaged. It doesn't matter if you pay the bill a week later after the bank says "hey you have the money you can pay this Is that cool?". The damage is already done and isn't immediately unwound because you had an oopsie.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

I don't know if this is good analogy or not but if you miss a credit card payment your credit rating gets damaged. It doesn't matter if you pay the bill a week later after the bank says "hey you have the money you can pay this Is that cool?". The damage is already done and isn't immediately unwound because you had an oopsie.

Actually it's a very good analogy since that's literally what happened the first time we had this stupid Debt Ceiling game of chicken back in 2011 (i.e., America's credit rating got damaged)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

OddObserver posted:

That's a little unfair, they don't want to regain all of Tsarist empire, just the parts they believe to be racially inferior (to relief of Finland).

Not to toot the Finnish horn over-much, but Russia realizes Finland has a fairly advanced military, there's a lot of ground to fight guerrilla war on, and Finns mostly don't speak Russian, so good luck colonizing in that environment.

And weirdly enough, Russians as a people sort of... Like Finland? Russian tourism was a big business here until, you know, *gestures at the genocide* Of course the bargain bin Goebbelses in their state media may have changed that, I don't pretend to know.

The big question mark is what Putin and his entourage think about things. They thought invading Ukraine would be a walk in the park and a good idea, and turns out the entire Western apparatus decided "gently caress you, no".

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Yawgmoft posted:

I had to learn something, now you have to learn it too:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_swimming_classes_in_the_United_States

Apparently for people of Biden's generation this would have been extremely common.

This is like, a joke, right? This isn't even remotely enough information to classify this as sexual harassment.

Reminded me of this story:

Women senators were barred from the Senate pool for years because 2 male lawmakers liked to swim nude

One story in particular illustrates exactly the kind of separate treatment female senators would endure. Former Sen. Kay Hagan (D-N.C.) told The New York Times that when she joined the Senate in 2009, the doors to the Senate swimming pool had signs that said "men only" for one conspicuous reason: "There were at least two male senators — she would not name them — who enjoyed swimming in the nude," the Times writes.

Today, women are allowed to swim in the pool — which is located in the men's gym, since the women's gym does not have one — so long as they wear the required "proper attire." Read more about the women who are "breaking into the boys' club" at The New York Times.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/767742/women-senators-barred-from-senate-pool-years-because-2-male-lawmakers-liked-swim-nude

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

On the other hand, I absolutely think it matters that Russia is shilling for her. And that's not just a semantic quibble. The difference between "Tara Reade shilling for Russia" and "Russia shilling for Tara Reade" is that the Russian government is much more powerful and influential than Tara Reade is, and able to do much more in service of far larger-ranging plans.
I guess it matters in that it indicates that Russia is interested in influencing the election, but that's not really surprising at this point.

Reade herself isn't going to get them anything in terms of influence, though. She's been sitting right there for three years and right wing media has shown no interest in her. Donald Trump had four of Bill Clinton's accusers sit front row in his debate with Hillary - they are not reluctant to exploit things like this. If they thought there was a way to leverage Reade's accusation into anti-Biden sentiment, they would be using it. I doubt Putin and the Internet Research Agency are going to find any angles that Ben Shapiro and Sean Hannity couldn't, and fairly or not, making ridiculous assertions about election theft didn't do any favors to her credibility.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mellow Seas posted:

I guess it matters in that it indicates that Russia is interested in influencing the election, but that's not really surprising at this point.

Reade herself isn't going to get them anything in terms of influence, though. She's been sitting right there for three years and right wing media has shown no interest in her.

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6317106404112

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I stand corrected. I still feel like she's brought up a lot less than, e.g., Juanita Broderick was - but maybe that's just because "sleazebag" isn't as prominent an attack vector on Biden as it was on Clinton.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

edit: I see it was a one-off link to foxnews.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

The Supreme Court doesn't take questions about theoretical future events. To litigate whether something violates the Constitution, they generally require the alleged Constitutional violation to have already happened*. "Congress defaulted" is a violation of the 14th Amendment, but "Congress might default soon" is not.

And in the context of the debt ceiling, that means that either Congress must force the US to default (in which case the Constitutional violation would be a violation of Section 4 of the 14th Amendment), or the executive branch would have to take out more debt than the debt ceiling allows (in which case the violation would be the executive branch violating the debt ceiling law).

Yes, this means that the 14th Amendment is not a complete and total protection from any sort of economic disruption. While the Supreme Court should guarantee the debt, getting a Supreme Court ruling on the validity of the debt means that someone has to have done enough to threaten the debt, which in turn is more than enough to somewhat spook debtholders.

* Note that they also require the complainer to establish standing, but I'm ignoring standing in this post because I find it confusing and annoying.

I would imagine the likely sequence would be something like Biden issuing an Executive Order directing Treasury to prioritize payments, mint the coin, or what have you, and another party suing on the grounds of the executive order being illegal and harming them for whatever reason, probably red state AGs suing that Biden is making their taxes go up or impeding subsidies they rely on.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Is this a legit polling outfit? Because these survey results are pretty startling.

quote:

In a hypothetical 2024 U.S. Senate matchup in West Virginia, the latest ECU Poll shows Governor Jim Justice with a significant 22-point lead over incumbent Senator Joe Manchin, 54% to 32%, among registered voters in the state (with 13% undecided). The ECU Poll also finds Governor Justice with a job approval rating of 57% (with an overall net positive job approval rating of +28 percentage points; 57% approval compared to 29% disapproval). Senator Manchin, in contrast, holds a job approval rating of just 33% (with an overall net negative job approval rating of -26 percentage points; 33% approval compared to 59% disapproval).

Deeper analysis of the approval numbers shows barely half (51%) of self-identified Democrats in West Virginia approve of Senator Manchin’s job performance. The senator’s approval drops to 37% among independents and to just 22% among Republicans. By comparison, Governor Justice has a 70% approval rating among Republicans, a 52% approval rating among independents, and a 39% approval rating among Democrats. Further complicating matters for Manchin, only 26% of West Virginians express approval of President Joe Biden’s job performance compared to 68% disapproval.

When asked if Senator Manchin should remain a Democrat or switch parties, voters in West Virginia were split on the matter, with 33% saying he should remain a Democrat and 33% saying he should switch to the Republican Party. Another 14% responded that Manchin should become an independent, with the remaining 21% not sure.

In a hypothetical 2024 Republican presidential primary in West Virginia among several declared and potential candidates, former President Donald Trump holds a commanding lead over Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, 54% to 9%. The field rounds out with former Vice President Mike Pence at 5%, Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina at 4%, former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley at 3%, former Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson at 2%, and businessman and entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy at 2%. Approximately, 20% are undecided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trump got 77% in WV in 2016 and Cruz was second at 9% so those primary numbers look pretty right to me.

Manchin doesn't have a prayer against Justice - maybe if there's somehow a giant blue wave, but probably not even then. He barely won in 2018, and Justice seems to be the best challenger possible, basically Mr. West Virginia. I doubt Manchin even attempts to run against him.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 31, 2023