Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

]
The soundtrack was definitely the best thing about that movie, the MORTAL KOMBATTTT! theme is an alltime great

TEST
YOUR MIGHT

FIGHT!

Yep, it was Lords of Acid under an alias and then Utah Saints remixed it. Plus there's tracks from Juno Reactor, The Crystal Method and Orbital. And the guitar riff on the score during the fight between Goro and Art Lean is Buckethead. Great score.

Also in the movie's defence I will say that the Sonya v Kano fight - which I'm pretty sure was not just filmed after the fact but by the second unit - sticks out like a sore thumb because so much of the cinematography in Mortal Kombat 95 was absolutely great. It only really fell down when they tried using CGI, because they didn't have the budget or the technology to do what they wanted to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I remember hearing that, for the final fight, Robin Shou and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa just said “gently caress it!” and agreed to stop pulling their punches. And that they both regretted that afterwards.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Was it by their creepy neighbours? Even watching that show as a little kid, those guys skeeved me out.

No, Lenny and Squiggy are mostly just gross harmless children, I'm talking about things like the girls try to convince Lenny and Squiggy to come home after they ran away to join the circus, on the way out a guy in a trailer motions to shirley to come over. the two girls enter the trailer, you hear a big scuffle and the tumble back out the door and Laverne says "I didn't expect there to be SIX of them!" end scene.

The next episode has the two becoming candystripers so Shirley can try to land a doctor boyfriend. It ends with Shirley going to meet a doctor only to come back at the end of the scene with her uniform ripped up saying the doctor pushed her into a closet and put an ether rag over her mouth before starting to tear her clothes off, but she managed to stuff the rag in his mouth and he passed out. Laugh track cuts in, credits roll.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's about as disgusting as I'd expect from the 70s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Laverne and Shirley is one of those shows that I always forget is set in the 50s because is has such powerful 70s energy. And I guess because they don’t put much work into making it look like the 50s. Wonder Woman is also like that, to the point where at some point it just starts taking place in the 70s and Wonder Woman is now dating Steve Trevor’s son, Steve Trevor.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mork and Mindy was also a happy days spin off, and they didn't bother explaining why it's not set in the 60s.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Baron von Eevl posted:

Mork and Mindy was also a happy days spin off, and they didn't bother explaining why it's not set in the 60s.

Mork appears to Richie Cunningham via a prophetic dream from the future.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

credburn posted:

Mork appears to Richie Cunningham via a prophetic dream from the future.

I thought that the episode stinger showed that all that stuff where Mork visited the 1950s and battled Fonzie actually happened, and Mork just altered reality so Ritchie only thought it was a dream, before he travelled to his end destination of the 1970s

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh poo poo, it just gets worse and worse

One thing though, looking back on that clip again I finally recognised the song they're playing over the fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0O1BRtDBPg
The soundtrack was definitely the best thing about that movie, the MORTAL KOMBATTTT! theme is an alltime great

TEST
YOUR MIGHT

FIGHT!

On the topic of Mortal Kombat and its soundtrack, I gotta mention the Reptile fight as well. One of the best tracks of the movie combined with some very solid (if dated) choreography. I seem to remember that the whole sequence was shot after principal filming was done (and directed by Robin Shou) because they figured the movie still hadn't enough fighting, and drat they were right. 13-year-old me thought this was the hypest poo poo ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJOJTsmJLLA

But yeah, the handling of Sonya Blade was... not great. She gets one fight scene (plus a minor part in a group fight), and apart from that she's relegated to just a damsel for Shang Tsung to be weirdly horny over and for the others to rescue.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Whilst I concur that the handling of Sonya Blade as a woman was a big yikes, remember that Sonya Blade is still a cop and thus undeserving of your sympathy and should instead receive your scorn

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Whilst I concur that the handling of Sonya Blade as a woman was a big yikes, remember that Sonya Blade is still a cop and thus undeserving of your sympathy and should instead receive your scorn

:hmmyes: But does this mean Kano is still a villain or a misguided hero of the people in this case?

Also, was she a cop in the movies? I thought she was military in the games and the cop wasn't introduced until the second game.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Also the freespace noises were just UI stuff, not the final super gun.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Randalor posted:

:hmmyes: But does this mean Kano is still a villain or a misguided hero of the people in this case?

Also, was she a cop in the movies? I thought she was military in the games and the cop wasn't introduced until the second game.

So she’s a war criminal. Even worse.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've had the MK soundtrack in physical form in my car for literally decades, first as a tape dubbed from my brother's copy, with a big pause in the breakdown of the Reptile fight music, and then a CD that always weirds me out because there's no big pause in the breakdown of the Reptile fight music

Jedit posted:

Yep, it was Lords of Acid under an alias and then Utah Saints remixed it. Plus there's tracks from Juno Reactor, The Crystal Method and Orbital. And the guitar riff on the score during the fight between Goro and Art Lean is Buckethead. Great score.

I think by this point my favorite is the Fear Factory track from the Scorpion fight where they teleport to a hell dimension

(How the gently caress did Johnny Cage get out of the hell dimension??)

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

oldpainless posted:

So she’s a war criminal. Even worse.

Please, she's a war kriminal.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i loving loved Mileena and Reptile in the game. so the movie did not do much for me when the former wasn't there and the latter was a CGI late term abortion.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, but then near the end of the movie the bad CGI reptile turned into the real Reptile (complete with MK voice saying "Reptile") and he got the best fight with the best fight song.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Perestroika posted:

On the topic of Mortal Kombat and its soundtrack, I gotta mention the Reptile fight as well. One of the best tracks of the movie combined with some very solid (if dated) choreography.

And you can blow people's minds by telling them the track was by Traci Lords.

One interesting thing about the choreography in that fight is that Liu does Sonya's handstand move on Reptile. Except, of course, Robin Shou was a martial artist and capable of doing it right. It definitely lends credence to the idea that he directed it in additional shooting.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Mortal Kombat is not a great movie by any metric but I will watch it if it's on and love every second of it. It's quick, it doesn't pretend to be anything its not, and I actually like the sets.

Goro is also pretty well done on a technical level I feel.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Mortal Kombat is not a great movie by any metric but I will watch it if it's on and love every second of it. It's quick, it doesn't pretend to be anything its not, and I actually like the sets.

Goro is also pretty well done on a technical level I feel.

It does pretend to be Enter the Dragon.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean Shang Tsung did basically offend Liu Kang's family and the Shaolin temple.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Spazzle posted:

I think that this is something that really makes video game movie adaptations especially bizarre. A lot of games already steal stuff wholesale from movies, both in terms of specific ideas/scenes/etc. and in terms of cinematic techniques. Probably nothing will top the incestuous fuckfest that is the relationship between Indiana Jones (which also got a ton of its own video games), Tomb Raider, and Uncharted.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

I think that this is something that really makes video game movie adaptations especially bizarre. A lot of games already steal stuff wholesale from movies, both in terms of specific ideas/scenes/etc. and in terms of cinematic techniques. Probably nothing will top the incestuous fuckfest that is the relationship between Indiana Jones (which also got a ton of its own video games), Tomb Raider, and Uncharted.

star wars

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

One thing though, looking back on that clip again I finally recognised the song they're playing over the fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0O1BRtDBPg

TEST
YOUR MIGHT

FIGHT!

correct

and this would also apply to Annihilation as well. The movie gets a LOT of poo poo wrong, but the soundtrack ain't one of them. both the songs as well as the score were nearly as good as in the first one.

but while we're on the subject, one thing i always found fascinatng was how the MK theme became orders of magnitude more popular than the movie itself. lots of people haven't seen MK, but EVERYONE'S heard of the MK theme.

Perestroika posted:

On the topic of Mortal Kombat and its soundtrack, I gotta mention the Reptile fight as well. One of the best tracks of the movie combined with some very solid (if dated) choreography. I seem to remember that the whole sequence was shot after principal filming was done (and directed by Robin Shou) because they figured the movie still hadn't enough fighting, and drat they were right. 13-year-old me thought this was the hypest poo poo ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJOJTsmJLLA

god bless whoever made that decision cause the reptile fight was the best one in the movie :rock:

Phy posted:

they never show it, but i think a reasonable excuse could be made that he was able to get once scorpion was defeated

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

The same as everybody else, I guess: This screen appeared, his icon moved up one place and suddenly he was just somewhere else

If it was Street Fighter he would've had to catch a plane somewhere else, possibly after getting past a quality Japanese sedan which someone had left blocking the path by a harbor

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spazzle posted:

And it does an okay job of it. I have heard that Brandon Lee was attached to the project before someone grossly hosed up set safety standards. It's supremely watchable and has one of the best soundtracks ever made. George Clinton and 808 State? It's hard to top that.

And since I just went down a YouTube martial arts rabbit hole, here's a clip from one of my favorite martial arts movies, enjoy some Drunken Muy Thai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0H0LUZROws

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Another weird bit of trivia I just found about the '95 Mortal Kombat film: Kano wasn't originally Australian before this but people liked Trevor Goddard's portrayal of the character so much that they incorporated his Australian accent into the character's background in subsequent games.

Here's the weird part: Trevor Goddard is from the UK and he wasn't doing an Australian accent in the movie, it was a Cockney accent and people apparently mistook it for an Australian accent. Apparently he played along with this and even pretended to be an Australian IRL for a while
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8bVVYuy4HU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Another weird bit of trivia I just found about the '95 Mortal Kombat film: Kano wasn't originally Australian before this but people liked Trevor Goddard's portrayal of the character so much that they incorporated his Australian accent into the character's background in subsequent games.

Here's the weird part: Trevor Goddard is from the UK and he wasn't doing an Australian accent in the movie, it was a Cockney accent and people apparently mistook it for an Australian accent. Apparently he played along with this and even pretended to be an Australian IRL for a while
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8bVVYuy4HU

The only other thing I know the late Trevor Goddard from is an early 2000s commercial for Hoover's Floormate vacuum mop in which he helpfully cleans up the mess a kangaroo made in a lady's kitchen after declaring, "I'll clean that Floor, Mate!" :australia:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The only other thing I know the late Trevor Goddard from is an early 2000s commercial for Hoover's Floormate vacuum mop in which he helpfully cleans up the mess a kangaroo made in a lady's kitchen after declaring, "I'll clean that Floor, Mate!" :australia:

Oh poo poo I had no idea. I just googled it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ4rN-nqse8

He's still not doing an Australian accent that's loving hilarious :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Murdoch posted:

It's like what happened with the Star Wars sequels, Star Wars openly and lovingly stole from Flash Gordon sci-fi, samurai and cowboy movies, and war movies, while the sequels were just fixated on being Star Wars, or rather the popular idea of Star Wars, near exclusively. Happens a lot to long running franchises, see also Star Trek.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Errant Signal suggested that Fallen Order got it right by narratively a normal Star Wars stories while pulling on a range of mechanical influences like Dark Souls and Tomb Raider/Uncharted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Errant Signal suggested that Fallen Order got it right by narratively a normal Star Wars stories while pulling on a range of mechanical influences like Dark Souls and Tomb Raider/Uncharted.

I mean yeah, that's literally just how you make a good adaptation game, using the narrative style of the source material and a mechanical gameplay formula that works.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

John Murdoch posted:

It was disappointing that Raiden got whitewashed, but admittedly they probably had to do some kind of alteration to the character because, uh, THIS was less than ten years prior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWcPwWR4C_w&t=22s

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wait, are you dissing BTILC?

]

And became good enough at it that he began stealing work from actual Aussie actors, who were understandably quite pissed off about it. It's sad that he never got bigger than he did - he certainly deserved at least a main credits role on TV.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Jun 2, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

It was disappointing that Raiden got whitewashed, but admittedly they probably had to do some kind of alteration to the character because, uh, THIS was less than ten years prior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWcPwWR4C_w&t=22s

...what the hell is this? isn't this that jackie chan movie? :psyduck:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It was disappointing that Raiden got whitewashed, but admittedly they probably had to do some kind of alteration to the character because, uh, THIS was less than ten years prior:

Speaking of media that might not have aged well...

I haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China in like, ages. Has it uh...has it aged as poorly as I'm assuming it probably has?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Mr Interweb posted:

but while we're on the subject, one thing i always found fascinatng was how the MK theme became orders of magnitude more popular than the movie itself. lots of people haven't seen MK, but EVERYONE'S heard of the MK theme.
Techno-Syndrome never plays in the actual MK games either (except as a bonus track if you select the soundtrack option in the Sega CD port of the original Mortal Kombat), but people have just associated it with the entire franchise for decades.

It also predates the movie by a good couple of years. Before the film, it appeared on Mortal Kombat: The Album in 1994, but by that point it had already been released as a single in 1993.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Vandar posted:

Speaking of media that might not have aged well...

I haven't seen Big Trouble in Little China in like, ages. Has it uh...has it aged as poorly as I'm assuming it probably has?

I saw it a couple years ago, and I can't remember anything too egregious. It was a lot clearer to me that Jack is actually the sidekick this time, passed me by when I saw it at release.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

...what the hell is this? isn't this that jackie chan movie? :psyduck:

i think having the assumption that big trouble in little china is a jackie chan movie is more racist than anything thats actually in big trouble in little china lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torquemada posted:

I saw it a couple years ago, and I can't remember anything too egregious. It was a lot clearer to me that Jack is actually the sidekick this time, passed me by when I saw it at release.

Big Trouble in Little China is an intentional subversion of White Saviour narratives. Jack Burton is a blustering, ignorant fool who is in way over his head and fucks up almost everything he tries, but thinks he can take charge because he's a True American Hero. He's the butt of every joke. The Chinese characters, meanwhile, are all very competent and understand what's going on.