Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The dominion seems pretty malevolent since it took Legion. I dunno if any dominion would actually be benevolent anyway.

Here's hoping this eventually leads to Franklin being a mutant again and asking his friend Galactus to destroy the dominion. Or Jean or Rachel as the Phoenix would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I assumed that there normally can be multiple Dominions, or that people can join existing ones, but that the one in place went out of it's way block Sinister. And also eat future Legion, so definitely not benevolent whoever it is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The infographic about them from early on definitely implies there can be multiple Dominions, or at the very least doesn't say there can be only one in a universe.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It did say there was one that was in the Earth's location though. Like it seems as if they stake out an area and claim it as their own.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yeah, that's my point: HoXPoX explicitly says "the local Dominion controlling the sector including Earth space" (emphasis mine).

There's probably an in-universe explanation for this. But it definitely seems like Gillen is playing by different rules, which is fine because that's how it works in serial comics. I just feel it's pretty clear that that's what he's doing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

danbanana posted:

Yeah, that's my point: HoXPoX explicitly says "the local Dominion controlling the sector including Earth space" (emphasis mine).

There's probably an in-universe explanation for this. But it definitely seems like Gillen is playing by different rules, which is fine because that's how it works in serial comics. I just feel it's pretty clear that that's what he's doing.

Sinister was not anywhere near Earth when he tried to ascend however.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

danbanana posted:

We saw there's multiple ways to get to Dominion status. Sinister's would have worked. There's nothing out there right now that's saying the dominion he ran into isn't the one made of all those titans.

You're assuming it's different, but there's nothing in any of the books that says it is.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

We saw there's multiple ways to get to Dominion status. Sinister's would have worked. There's nothing out there right now that's saying the dominion he ran into isn't the one made of all those titans.

You're assuming it's different, but there's nothing in any of the books that says it is.

I am hoping that a formation of 112 hyperintelligent AI talked poo poo to Sinister for being too late (honestly seems like a thing to do) but also SoS implies someone else did that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They could have been brought together or formed or controlled by another Sinister. We don't know.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'll be honest, Dominions et al never made a lick of sense to me.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

These last few pages might as well be written in ancient Hebrew for me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's 115 ai sinisters that think this guy is a scrub

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its actually a typo, all references to Dominions are supposed to be Dominos

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cartridgeblowers posted:

The exact mechanics of how they ascend to Dominionhood kind of make my eyes glaze over, but I do think the idea of entities emitting essentially such narrative gravity that they become established facts of space-time is a really cool one. (Because, after all, that's how continuity works in comics. Peter Parker is always going to be Spider-Man and never going to be able to pay his rent on time.)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He'll pay his rent when the landlord fixes that drat door!

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Reading the Cable & Deadpool Omni that got reprinted and Forge shows up at some point looking a lot different than modern stuff. When did he get his glow up? Bc he looks generic as hell with a pretty ugly soul patch in this.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

srypher posted:

Reading the Cable & Deadpool Omni that got reprinted and Forge shows up at some point looking a lot different than modern stuff. When did he get his glow up? Bc he looks generic as hell with a pretty ugly soul patch in this.

He's always looked like that, he was just dressing/being drawn more conservatively in C&DP, presumably because Krakoa hadn't come along yet and made people comfortable being as slutty as they want to yet

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
New CerebroCast has Hickman on Apocalypse, but the first part is about how the Krakoa Era came about.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

danbanana posted:

New CerebroCast has Hickman on Apocalypse, but the first part is about how the Krakoa Era came about.

I started that this morning, though haven't finished it. But yeah, whenever Cerebro gets a big name creative, it becomes as much about their career on X-Men as it does the specific character. Though Connor did specify he wouldn't be asking any "what ifs" about Hickman's run, given that they may become future story-lines at some point.

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

glitchwraith posted:

Though Connor did specify he wouldn't be asking any "what ifs" about Hickman's run, given that they may become future story-lines at some point.

He declined to answer a few times, but I thought his hesitance to answer the listener’s question that asked about Moira’s intentions and the phalanx stories from the 90s was very interesting.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
This is my first time listening to a full episode of Cerebro- does the host always answer the listeners' questions before the guest?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

GOD IS BED posted:

This is my first time listening to a full episode of Cerebro- does the host always answer the listeners' questions before the guest?

Do not question Conner's methods.

Also, I cannot recommend the Selina episode enough.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

GOD IS BED posted:

I haven't actually kept track, but I want to say that's how it usually goes, though it likely varies depending on the guest and the question. Note that the guests are more often fans of the characters as opposed to creatives who worked on the books, so normally it's assumed Connor has done more research. He also tends to tackle questions he knows creatives likely can't answer but which he's more free to speculate on.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

glitchwraith posted:

I haven't actually kept track, but I want to say that's how it usually goes, though it likely varies depending on the guest and the question. Note that the guests are more often fans of the characters as opposed to creatives who worked on the books, so normally it's assumed Connor has done more research. He also tends to tackle questions he knows creatives likely can't answer but which he's more free to speculate on.

Thank you for this explanation! I'm still annoyed by it, but at least it makes sense now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

GOD IS BED posted:

Thank you for this explanation! I'm still annoyed by it, but at least it makes sense now.

honestly this is one of the best podcasts around and I have so much more appreciation for these characters because of it

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Yeah, the first 2 hours were great, but then the listeners' questions segment started and I got frustrated. The character deep dive was fantastic, I'll be checking out other episodes, but probably skip the questions at the end.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

GOD IS BED posted:

Yeah, the first 2 hours were great, but then the listeners' questions segment started and I got frustrated. The character deep dive was fantastic, I'll be checking out other episodes, but probably skip the questions at the end.

Connor's pretty good about getting diverse guests for the podcast with backgrounds relevant to the characters, and is better about deferring to their experiences in those cases even for the audience questions. His episode on Manifold and Gateway was especially fascinating as his guest was both an aerospace engineer and had aboriginal heritage, so her insights into the characters were amazing. That said, Connor's never been shy about sharing his own opinions and theories, and there's as may purely silly episodes as the more thoughtful ones. See the previously mentioned Selene episode, or the more recent Spiral episode that, appropriately, spiraled out of control.

Personally, my biggest problem with the questions is that they often cover similar ground to what had come up naturally earlier on. Occasionally, though, they do broach a new topic or idea, and that's usually enough for me to keep listening.

Edit:

I think my favorite insight from Hickman this episode was that the Summers thruple came about because of his insistence that the writers shouldn't write to appease the shippers, and that either who was dating who would be hard codified from the beginning, or it'd be assumed that everyone was loving everyone. Editorial chose the latter, perhaps not knowing how serious he was.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 2, 2023

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I assume it also does a lot of the heavy lifting for the guest, so they don’t have to talk as much., and it makes it feel more like a conversation than a Q&A. Hickman was surprised that he was on the call for over three and a half hours, and it’s probably stuff like that that keeps him from checking the time.

It was my first time listening to the podcast, and it was really good. Definitely will be going through the back catalogue at work.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The best route is probably to scope through for the episodes about your favorite characters first, but I for sure recommend the episodes with Anthony Oliviera as guest.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there's a single bad episode. I started at episode 1 early last year and blew through them all until I caught up and became current this winter.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Has there been a Rockslide episode

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No, plus I think that generation of xmen are the ones Connor doesn't like

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Soonmot posted:

No, plus I think that generation of xmen are the ones Connor doesn't like

then I'm subscribing so I can unsubscribe

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Also there was a recent episode featuring someone who posts here......

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Spencer Ackerman episodes of CEREBRO are really good too: the Magneto one goes way into the Jewish aspect of his backstory, praising Greg Pak for establishing Max as a sonderkommando, and delving into a Classic X-Men backup that, no poo poo, makes 60s Magneto work as a character. And then the Beast episode is just them talking about a guy who sucks and it's great.

There was a really good recent episode interviewing Chuck Austen that gives a lot of much-needed context for some of the odder decisions he made during his run and actually makes me want to reread it now (from memory, the weird "mutants can't get AIDS" beat was inspired by one of those awful medical textbooks that says stuff like "Black people can endure more pain" or "Hispanics may invoke the name of Jesus when suffering" and trying, clumsily, to tell a story about doctors being ignorant of a minority group's specific needs or accommodations).

danbanana posted:

Also there was a recent episode featuring someone who posts here......

Where's the Black Monday Murders Hickman?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Next month's X-Men features the return of beloved character Pogg-Ur-Pogg, who is back presumably in Pogg form.

Also the Sinister shenanigans continue!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Pretty huge twist in X-Men colon Before the Fall colon Mutant First Strike that real life conservative think tank the Heritage Foundation is involved in anti-mutant activities. (It's called the Heritage INITIATIVE in subsequent mentions, but definitely threw me for a loop at first.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rochallor posted:

Pretty huge twist in X-Men colon Before the Fall colon Mutant First Strike that real life conservative think tank the Heritage Foundation is involved in anti-mutant activities. (It's called the Heritage INITIATIVE in subsequent mentions, but definitely threw me for a loop at first.)
They definitely would be, though, so it seems fair.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I stopped reading Orlando's Marauders because I was bored by it, not because I thought it was as bad as most here did.

But I did buy the Fall book today and... What the gently caress. Generic, pointless, incomprehensible at times.

There's a panel at the bottom of one page where Storm thanks Triage for helping and then a panel of Jean and Bishop talking. You flip the page and there's another panel of Storm and Triage where... Storm is complimenting Triage again. Just random panels of random mutants for 10 pages. Bad comics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
It seemed like there were Iron Sentinels in most of the Marvel comics I read this week. I hope they have formal wear for the Hellfire Gala!

And yeah, the Fall of X book was pretty messy.