Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah the second one is actual auto-correct. You can turn it off in your keyboard settings and you will still get the first type of suggestions. In particular if you swipe it makes no sense to leave it on imo.
which setting is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

butt dickus posted:

which setting is it?
I was thinking of the auto-correction setting, but if it's already off, idk wtf is going on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Earlier in the week I finally popped my SIM into the S23U for the first time as I thought I would let it serve every day duties for awhile before the Pixel Fold shows up.

I've talked up the SD8 Gen 2 a bit. I was impressed with it when I used the OP11 for a few weeks, but at the same time I wasn't comparing apples to apples when it came to battery consumption as I just used that phone until I got into the battery warnings and just put it on the high speed charger for 20 minutes. But, after actually USING the S23U, I'm actually getting a bit, well, whelmed.

Does it get better battery life than my Pixel 7 Pro? Yeah, a bit. Is it matching the longevity of my first impressions when I was just tooling around with it in my house on wifi. Oh hell no. This week I was, maybe, ending the day 10% or so higher than I would with the P7P mostly. But today it was a bit different and I'm actually thinking my P7P would have done better. I had taken the day off today and got up a bit later than normal and took the phone off the charger around 10am. I used it on and off throughout the day and then I drove to my sister's for my niece's birthday this afternoon. It's a bit over an hour each way with wireless android auto. Here I am now 13 hours off charge with 3hr 21 minutes of SoT and I'm at 38%. That's...fine but it really feels like wireless AA hit the phone far harder than it would on my P7P. In fact, the phone was warm after I pulled it out of my pocket when I got home and my P7P is always just body temperature after using wireless AA in my pocket. I estimate that the 2 hour round trip on wireless AA chewed up about 30% battery. The last time I took a long trip with the P7P, I only lost about 25% battery doing 4 hours of wireless Android Auto.

I will say that the S23U did better at hanging on to a GPS signal while it was in my pocket which my P7P sometimes falters a bit.

So, that's my ramblings. I think the SD8 Gen 2 does a lot better at battery life when doing certain workloads for long periods (especially video streaming and gaming), but in mixed use I'm actually a bit less impressed. This is certainly no 10hours of SoT over the course of two days like I was getting when it was sitting around the house on wifi. The S23U is still a top tier phone, but actually using it makes me feel like I'm not making a compromise with Tensor G2 in the P7P and the Pixel Fold. I might end up cutting my time with th S23U shorter than I was initially planning and either going back to the P7P or the Flip 4 before the Pixel Fold shows up. This shits heavy and big and I'm already fatiguing using it less than a week.

I'm also not super impressed with the birthday pics I snapped, mostly because kids are kids and Samsung still sucks poo poo at shutter speed.

And the fingerprint sensor on the S23U still sucks inordinate amounts of rear end.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Daniel Micay stepped down from GrapheneOS and says he's ending his use of social media. He's been playing the victim of constant harassment campaigns, allegedly from the CalyxOS fanbase, TechLore, CopperheadOS, and now Louis Rossman (based off a tweet from a few years ago). No evidence of any of this really. The only evidence of any harassment was someone posted CP and gore pics on their Matrix server, but only because other people witnessed it. He claims he's been swatted but again, no evidence and endless accusations.

Good riddance. He's a talented dev no doubt but is incredibly abrasive to anyone even questioning Graphene's details. Heck even people who have praised it have been blocked or met with aggression for no reason. Hope it doesn't spell the end of the project and he says it's in good hands so we'll see.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I've been using Nova launcher for years, but have noticed with every recent update it's been getting worse. Turns out it hasn't been updated since 2021. What's a good alternative?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
it's not quite as versatile but as a former nova user I really like the Microsoft launcher

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

for fucks sake posted:

I've been using Nova launcher for years, but have noticed with every recent update it's been getting worse. Turns out it hasn't been updated since 2021. What's a good alternative?

I asked this in the app thread last week, if you want to see some of the recs I got.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764&pagenumber=316&perpage=40&userid=0#post531980834

So far I tried Smart Launcher, but there were some goofy things setting up widgets that annoyed me. I also didn't like how Pro is a monthly fee or $22(!!!).

Now I'm using Hyperion. Seems to be working okay, but but I'm going to have to drop $2 for the pro version to unlock some of the options I really want in a launcher.

One Nova option I haven't seen in other launchers is changing the icon of folders, but it's not a big issue.

There were one or two more in this list that I might try.
https://www.tomsguide.com/round-up/best-android-launchers

Edit: vvv I downloaded the beta, but was still having the weird graphic glitch that was annoying me. vvv

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 27, 2023

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Nova has been releasing beta apks on their discord for a bit. Still seems to work ok for me, though they were recently acquired so I'm not sure how long before they start to go downhill.

https://teslacoilapps.com/apk/NovaLauncher_8.0.5.apk

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

for fucks sake posted:

Niagara launcher owns.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

it's not quite as versatile but as a former nova user I really like the Microsoft launcher

The what

Good post/user name combo

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm using Kiss Launcher bit it's kinda weird and has its own whole UI flow so it's probably not for everyone.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hadlock posted:

The what

Good post/user name combo

Microsoft launcher is actually quite good.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Launcher chat made me look for a new one myself.
Microsoft does what I want of a launcher, but it is microsoft.
Hyperion launcher seem just as good, but it costs 2€ for the full version which I was actually considering.
Aoi launcher is crazy and somehow something I never knew I wanted. Especially their tablet mode, that one will stay definitely. On the other hand they had a bitcoin widget on by default, which makes me hesitant to ever buy the full version no matter how cheap.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Uthor posted:

One Nova option I haven't seen in other launchers is changing the icon of folders, but it's not a big issue.

Microsoft launcher can do this

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I really can't find a tech support thread for mobile phones and would appreciate any help.

I am using a Samsung S21 running Android 13 One UI 5.1 with the latest update. This concerns WhatsApp 2.23.10.77, Signal 6.21.3, and Samsung Messages 14.1.32.21.

Recently all the apps have started doing something strange: If I've previously had a different number for a contact it will now show up as X no. of contacts on WhatsApp and X no. of suggestions on Signal and Samsung Messages (Signal doesn't have a contacts list and Messages does but it does not show them only as suggestions). This works retroactively to show very old numbers. And I do not have any cloud syncs that still have the old numbers attached to the contact in my Contacts app. My Dialer app does not do this at all.

It's not a huge issue but it is an annoying one and I've called old numbers by mistake if they're the first suggestion. Otherwise I just have to memories which is the new one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MKBHD and SuperSaf did a collab video on the top 5 phones that have come out this year (each has their own list) and then a bit about the phone they daily use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUWpwH_Yn4I

MKBHD: "I was doing a lot on the S23 Ultra up until about a month ago and I just, the software got to me just enough that I went back to the Pixel."

That about sums up why I bought the Pixel Fold rather than just continuing to use the Fold 4 I have :D.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The new Motorola Razr is looking like it could be a nice phone, but Motorola is so terrible at software support I wouldn't consider it. It's like Lenovo gets some kind of kickback for not updating their phones.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Has anyone ever had an "echo" problem with their Pixel?

I don't hear an echo on my end with my 6a, but occasionally on incoming calls the other caller will report an echo.

Tried googling and found other reports from several different people with different Pixel model phones.

I will probably do a full reset of the phone soon, but was just wondering if anyone had any advice.

I don't think it's my carrier (AT&T) because my wife and I are on the same plan but she has an iphone and has never had any issue.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My volume slider won't leave the screen now. Every time I use it it stays on the screen across locks and everything. Have to restart the phone to get it to go away. Great!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

frosteh posted:

Has anyone ever had an "echo" problem with their Pixel?

I don't hear an echo on my end with my 6a, but occasionally on incoming calls the other caller will report an echo.

Tried googling and found other reports from several different people with different Pixel model phones.

I will probably do a full reset of the phone soon, but was just wondering if anyone had any advice.

I don't think it's my carrier (AT&T) because my wife and I are on the same plan but she has an iphone and has never had any issue.

No, I've never had this on any Pixel.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I had that on a previous phone. It's the sound cancelling mic getting blocked. I think it's the tiny hole on the top of the phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Adenoid Dan posted:

I had that on a previous phone. It's the sound cancelling mic getting blocked. I think it's the tiny hole on the top of the phone.

Like getting physically blocked? With what?! Dirt?? I've never seen that. How dirty are you goons????

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Like getting physically blocked? With what?! Dirt?? I've never seen that. How dirty are you goons????

Pocket lint?

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Adenoid Dan posted:

I was thinking it could be this, but my Spigen case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09S899Z51/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) definitely isn't blocking anything. I took the phone out of the case and made sure it was clean anyway. Echo still happening and still frustrating because I otherwise love the phone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, I've never had this on any Pixel.

The most tedious gimmick poster

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

How dirty do you want me to be? :smuggo:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

an opportunity to resurrect the in-pocket phone orientation argument

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

butt dickus posted:

an opportunity to resurrect the in-pocket phone orientation argument

How have I never seen that one?

The correct answer is obviously screen facing my leg with the phone right-side-up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

How have I never seen that one?

The correct answer is obviously screen facing my leg with the phone right-side-up.

Monster.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Always in my left pocket. The right pocket is for keys.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Always in my left pocket. The right pocket is for keys.

Mods?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I finally got an invite to the pixel superfans group.
I've had at least 5 of their devices, even nexus 5x
(And I use Google FI for years and years)

I bought a lifetime license to Niagara launcher
https://niagaralauncher.app/

My Icons are now colored dots (by choice) everything is minimalist, the 9 things I use are on my home screen.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Probably not coincidentally, they sent me a Pixel Superfans invite too, yesterday. Thing is, I've been a member for years, but haven't really taken a any advantage of it. There was that $100 pixel store credit for referring a pixel 7 purchaser months ago, but I haven't received that yet,.

I wonder if they just threw invites to everyone who'd ever requested one, regardless of status, to remind them that the program exists.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm a member and got an invite yesterday too

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I got an invite yesterday but currently use an S23U :v:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't know if I ever filled out the survwn. I did it this morning; maybe I'll get an invitation soon.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yo, when I'm on call at work I'm sometimes missing phone calls. As in, my call log doesn't even show that the call came in. Are there any settings I should be double checking, I need these calls to come in.

I've checked:

Do not disturb is OFF
Ring volume is full
Signal is good, phone is charged, etc

From my phone's point of view there's no call in the log at all.

I think I'm going to ask the team that calls me for every number they might call from (if they don't mind) and save them all as a contact? That might help? This is really stressing me out because I can't just ignore these calls, I'm lucky I have a very chill boss but I need this poo poo to stop, now. Like, change phone and/or carrier if that's necessary.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

On my phone, there's an option to automatically screen spam calls. Maybe that's messing with you?

These options are in the phone app on my Pixel.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ah, I'd checked my OS settings, not the phone app itself. I think you've found it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hope that works!