Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, this is a big part of why I'm having trouble with the story, too. Emma the person is being treated as...disposable and inconvenient by this supposed hero. Meanwhile, based on what we've seen, she had a pretty solid life going for Victorian Era England and was in love with (mostly) pretty solid dude. Winston may not be 100% right but he's certainly more right than Elf Dude.

That's it exactly. She had the absolute dream life she always wanted just ripped away from her and the others are pissed that she's even still aware enough to be upset by that. Like YEAH? Why wouldn't she be? That's pretty loving valid. Also Elf guy only wants his old girlfriend back he actively wants Emma to go away and let the old personality subsume her. Whatta guy! Our hero ladies and gents!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
You guys don't think they're playing with that ambivalence? The main girl's entire character arc is about being pushed between various men who want her to be a certain way, and I dunno, that seems to be the main dramatic arc the show's got going on so far. Space Link doesn't come across as a good guy in this, and I doubt he's meant to.

Also the guy who started this whole cycle is doing Christopher Lee in LotR cosplay, he's pretty obviously evil.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I legit don't trust him to land endings, thus I wait until they're fully done before I check them out anymore.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

You guys don't think they're playing with that ambivalence? The main girl's entire character arc is about being pushed between various men who want her to be a certain way, and I dunno, that seems to be the main dramatic arc the show's got going on so far. Space Link doesn't come across as a good guy in this, and I doubt he's meant to.

Also the guy who started this whole cycle is doing Christopher Lee in LotR cosplay, he's pretty obviously evil.

I'll lay off if only because we're not far enough into the season for me to make a full judgement. But right now while I understand Melinda/Emma has the most compelling narrative arc I'd like to see the others guys get at least something as well. I want to feel for them and like them but it's just not happening to the degree i"d prefer at the moment. That's subject to change so I can see changing my mind down the road. But as it stands I really don't care for the attitude.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah it definitely comes off as intentional to me, I just wish it was progressing a little swifter I suppose

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Viv confirms 4 seasons for Helluva Boss :woop:

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1661869530308812800?s=20

This was in response to these posts

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1661868363457650688?s=20

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah it definitely comes off as intentional to me, I just wish it was progressing a little swifter I suppose

Oh yeah, nah, it's hella loving slow. That two-part opener was, ooft, got all that information from the trailer mate, and that was 5% the length.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oh yeah, nah, it's hella loving slow. That two-part opener was, ooft, got all that information from the trailer mate, and that was 5% the length.

I try to take notes on everything I watch and how I felt watching it to inform my work. Something that looks great on paper can go over like a lead balloon in actual execution for example. The saying less is more is why you get yourself a good editor.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

So his pacing is getting worse?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neeksy posted:

So his pacing is getting worse?

:shrug: I never had that problem with Primal.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I've found that he can often get a bit labored with his timing/pacing. How he chooses to draw out moments just doesn't click with me a lot of the time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Tartakovsky's very deliberate pacing is used to great effect for his action scenes, but everything that isn't an action scene has always been hit or miss.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Assepoester posted:

Tartakovsky's very deliberate pacing is used to great effect for his action scenes, but everything that isn't an action scene has always been hit or miss.

Yeah, the exposition across the first two episodes was paaaaainful. We get everything we need in the opening with the jumping through time sequence, and then the wedding sequence is fine as a way to have it play out with some finality and impact.

But then we get the exposition again, with New Melinda uncovering the ancient engravings and the plot slowly awakening the other two time dweebs and it's just, like, get to the second act already mate. Except there isn't a second act, it's still stuck in first gear until the very end where the villain aggresses on the heroes and then you sort of realise that's not meant to be his second act, that's his third.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETyP-G73iZ0

It's so weird seeing a return of Clone High, mostly because it was the first TV show I ever talked about on something awful way back when.

So of all the reboots, this is the one that is hitting the most close to home here.

As for the first two episodes? Eh, a cancel culture as the punchline episode and a episode where it's a slumber party, and we don't really learn anything new about "the new clones" other than Topher Bus is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The first Clone High S2 episode was doing a lot of heavy lifting to get the premise up and going again. I adored the second ep though, gives me a lot of hope for the rest of the season. Just dumb little throwaway things like "Unibrow! Save yourself!" give me confidence in the writing. It helps that it looks great too, there's some care and talent going in to the production.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Good episode of Unicorn: Worriers Maternal.

That said, even though it's a dumb fantasy history that doesn't need to play by any rules, it still feels inherently wrong to have Camelot come before Ancient Egypt times.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I always half interpreted it as they’ve been doing this so long that things have looped around and they’re in the 4800s or whatever. Doesn’t really matter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Want to kick Blitzo in the arse for not visiting Stolas.

Also, I really hate the voice actress for Stella. It's not that she's bad - she's too good. I literally know a couple people who sound exactly like her and they're both the most terrible loving people. Stupid and self absorbed and spiteful and make all the world around them a hell.

yeah, apperently the actress is a really wonderful person and does tons of weird fan requests and poo poo. she has the perfect "upper crust spoiled bitch" voice.

honestly i am happy with that. to many seasons and the show just wears out its welcom and gets fladerized.

Flopsy posted:

I hope they get more into the very uncomfortable reality that they're essentially killing people and taking over their bodies. Like Emma still being present and conscious is treated like "a problem" and how normalized that is, is kinda hosed. Like the evil so far is very bland and vague while the supposed good guys really don't think much of destroying everything around them and highjacking bodies so long as they can continue to perform their duties. It's kind of a more personalized unpleasantness. It's hard to root for anybody at this stage really just because I can't really get behind these tactics. Like think about it--they would've been taken over some time in their lifetimes it just happened earlier than expected. What if Emma and Winston had children by that point and mommy is suddenly gone and replaced by a complete stranger who doesn't love them anymore and is suddenly macking on blue elf guy now. That's hosed.

yeah, i remember some weird time travel show on netflix that was sorta like that. like its interesting, but you kinda just dislike the characters after awhile and i am a sucker of the "greater good virtuious good guys doing hosed up poo poo and being noble bright monsters" but idk

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Neeksy posted:

I legit don't trust him to land endings, thus I wait until they're fully done before I check them out anymore.

Imagine the sheer irony of if Genndy's weakest (writing wise) modern show ended up getting the least-whiffed ending

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, apperently the actress is a really wonderful person and does tons of weird fan requests and poo poo. she has the perfect "upper crust spoiled bitch" voice.

honestly i am happy with that. to many seasons and the show just wears out its welcom and gets fladerized.

I agree. 4 seasons would be perfect for a show like this, especially if you have an idea of where things are going.

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!

Flopsy posted:

Just found a very promising independent animation on youtube with heavy early batman the animated series vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utNTePSqGBc

Honestly I really do love everything about this and Miss Conduct is an amazing villain name.

There's a lot of indies that are actually hooking me in nowadays. Can't wait for these guys to go mainstream. Just hope the industry doesn't grind them down.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

As for the first two episodes? Eh, a cancel culture as the punchline episode and a episode where it's a slumber party, and we don't really learn anything new about "the new clones" other than Topher Bus is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

I thought the first episode had some good jokes about 2003 vs 2023 sensibilities ("Yes! That word has been RET-ired, Abe;" JFK being lauded as "sex positive" for declaring that he likes boobs and butts, of all sizes,) but didn't love that it was the entire focus of the episode.

My main criticism so far is that both episodes just felt slight. What won me over 20 years ago was the manic energy and joke density, and neither of the debut episodes captured that feel...but at the same time, maybe 20 years of adult cartoons that have carried forward that sensibility have raised my expectations. (It also felt like there were a lot of head-on shots of the characters in isolation as some kind of budgetary cheat, though more so in the first episode than the second.)

The really surprising thing about the whole endeavor? All the returning voice actors sound pretty much exactly the same, except for Lord and Miller. Scudworth and Mr. B are the only ones who sound off in any way. Even Christa Miller's new character doesn't sound very different from Original Cleo (Mitra Johari, meanwhile, is a perfect recast. She's got the same bright egotism and honey-tinged venom that Miller brought to the character.) Oh, and that they addressed Gandhi/his absence in any way other than winks, nods and background gags. I wasn't expecting that.

EDIT: Oh! And I like that all the incidental music is still of an early-00's indie pop/punk guitar sound.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 27, 2023

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I think the premise of 2002 high school students returning to a different high school culture in 2023 is a great way to add a second layer to Clone High, and I give them props for it. It does give me 21 Jump Street vibes, which makes sense considering the creators. Best part of the first episode was the school assembly scene. I thought the second episode was pretty good and hope it keeps going in the same direction. It's funny how much like the original show it feels to me, and I haven't seen the original show in years (I know its on HBO but I'm worried it won't hold up since obviously that was very much making fun of a specific time in pop culture) I hope they lean into modern High School show tropes like they used to do with the 2000s ones.

Also, I know the first show was somewhat cancelled because of Ghandi and they've addressed his absence a little here, but I hope they keep addressing it in little ways over time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Superrodan posted:

I hope they lean into modern High School show tropes

I don't even know what these are anymore. Everyone gets attacked by satan's minions and then solve a murder mystery?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

There is one aspect of that I could think of that’s notably different and that would be too dark a subject to broach.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 28, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Warbird posted:

There is one aspect of that I could think of that’s notable different and that would be too dark a subject to broach.

They said high school show, not high school

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Adult Swim is streaming 'Genndy Tartakovsky: A Legacy in Animation' on youtube right now with interview material interspersed with episodes of his work. Had no idea there was a banned Dexter's Laboratory episode - Dexter and Dede spent the whole thing literally cussing eachother out and then cussing out their mom.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Quick question - did anyone else feel Dede was much smarter than Dexter? Smart enough to not be hung up about it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Adult Swim is streaming 'Genndy Tartakovsky: A Legacy in Animation' on youtube right now with interview material interspersed with episodes of his work. Had no idea there was a banned Dexter's Laboratory episode - Dexter and Dede spent the whole thing literally cussing eachother out and then cussing out their mom.

Oh yeah that one's semi-infamous. IIRC, years ago they showed it on Adult Swim one time and never again. Or maybe my brain cooked that one up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Quick question - did anyone else feel Dede was much smarter than Dexter? Smart enough to not be hung up about it?

it varies depending on the writers, though on the balance she couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TwoPair posted:

Oh yeah that one's semi-infamous. IIRC, years ago they showed it on Adult Swim one time and never again. Or maybe my brain cooked that one up.

It's on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0WtqpU5TDg

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's been a pretty long time since I last watched Dexter's Laboratory, but I got the sense that Dede was more annoying/nosy than dumb

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
She wasn't as smart at Dexter but the show always made it clear that Dee Dee was way better at dealing with people and making friends and while she was annoying, there was a whole episode about how Dexter was sad when he got rid of her. I liked that it never really felt like the show treated Dee Dee as an antagonist, and more just a force of nature in Dexter's life and they had him learn lessons from her plenty of times.

Although it's funny that for all of Dexter's intellect, Dee Dee could find a way around his security measures every time and get into his lab

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Dungeons and Dragons episode was a good example of that. (Dungeons and Dee Dees?) Dexter is the murder GM who has to flub his rolls to keep menacing the players, while Dee Dee told a story the players actually enjoyed going through.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Dee Dee just isn't a super science genius. She's socially smart, never shown to struggle in school, and is better at handling a wider range of problems. So probably more of a normal bright kid.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That was amazing. Also, didn't realize Dexter did the toxic episode before R&M. :v:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think the difference is that she's still a child, and thus enjoys childish things and has a sense of wonder and complete absence of cynicism; Dexter views that as stupidity rather than a natural expression of being an actual child with impulses and a relative lack of experience in the world, etc. Ultimately his biggest flaw is arrogance.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
When the Dexter movie special aired and you find out who actually sent the robots and caused the stable time loop had me laughing my rear end off.

Like oh Dexter, even after all those years you still are a bit of a petty/jealous brother.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

This new Barbie meme is my favorite

https://twitter.com/TeaTheKook/status/1663563461329293314?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

There was a comment earlier about the new Clone High feeling 'slight' and I think that's more a reflection on modern comedy sensibilities that are less gag-a-minute shotgun blasts of wit, the comedy is a lot less densely-packed now. We don't have 30 Rocks these days.