Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Nichael posted:

I don't think you're wrong, I just think that kind of work will break my brain (further). If I practice traditionally, it'll probably be criminal defense, immigrant, or tenants rights.

You know who started out as a humble Delaware public defender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Toona the Cat posted:

You know who started out as a humble Delaware public defender?

It's good to see the youth inspired by our leaders and want to follow in their footsteps

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nichael posted:

I'm an organizer first and foremost, that's my skillset. I don't intend to practice law traditionally as I mostly just want the degree to continue to help leftist causes through means I've used in the past. This is the perfect intersection of law and organizing for me.

So the short answer is yes.

The country always need more quality PDs.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

The country always need more quality PDs.

Yeah, I'm considering it along with other things. I just have a lot to figure out in general.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
AS a current public defender, if you're considering a legal career at all, being a public defender is probably one of the best places to start. Very few other career paths give you litigation experience up front, and almost any other career path, you're a better candidate for it if you have litigation experience, because ultimately what matters in the law is being able to fight it out if you have to. Everything else is backed up, or not, by the credibility of your threat as a litigant, and experience as a PD makes you a credible threat.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 31, 2023

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Nonprofits have to “incorporate” in their own state I think, not in Delaware. I’ve never had to file the papers but am close enough to know you have to report to your local dept of state.

Good luck Nichael. I’m feeling pretty burned out lately and sometimes wish I had taken the money instead of the clean hands, but I try to remind myself that it is good to enjoy and feel good about what you do for work.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
As a dependency attorney at a non-profit, I love what I do, and every day I do something good. I also have amazing support, a firm that has a total buy-in on preserving work-life balance, and amazing benefits.

I also have to do Uber eats on the side for weed money, but such is life. Beats the poo poo out of real estate law.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

The Dagda posted:

Nonprofits have to “incorporate” in their own state I think, not in Delaware. I’ve never had to file the papers but am close enough to know you have to report to your local dept of state.

Good luck Nichael. I’m feeling pretty burned out lately and sometimes wish I had taken the money instead of the clean hands, but I try to remind myself that it is good to enjoy and feel good about what you do for work.

You generally have to register to do business in your state(s) where you operate no matter what, and similarly if you're a charity soliciting donations in a state you usually have to register with the attorney general or someone similar in that state. Most nonprofit corporations don't have the incentives for profits do (or think they do) to incorporate in Delaware though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Emily Spinach posted:

Most nonprofit corporations don't have the incentives for profits do (or think they do) to incorporate in Delaware though.

It’s this. You could register in Delaware but you’re still filing in your state of operation and dealing with two secretaries of state now for no good reason.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Toona the Cat posted:

As a dependency attorney at a non-profit, I love what I do, and every day I do something good. I also have amazing support, a firm that has a total buy-in on preserving work-life balance, and amazing benefits.

I also have to do Uber eats on the side for weed money, but such is life. Beats the poo poo out of real estate law.

That's awesome. Like I said, I don't really know what I want beyond broad strokes. But this makes me feel a little more confident in the broad strokes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

AS a current public defender, if you're considering a legal career at all, being a public defender is probably one of the best places to start. Very few other career paths give you litigation experience up front, and almost any other career path, you're a better candidate for it if you have litigation experience, because ultimately what matters in the law is being able to fight it out if you have to. Everything else is backed up, or not, by the credibility of your threat as a litigant, and experience as a PD makes you a credible threat.

Yup, never had litigation exp and it def could have come in handy a few times. Also, litigators (despite sometimes being weird as hell) are pretty impressive. Going in there, yelling about the law.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Nichael posted:

That's awesome. Like I said, I don't really know what I want beyond broad strokes. But this makes me feel a little more confident in the broad strokes.

I genuinely think you should be very suspicious of the innocence project group that is requiring you to raise money for them as part of your legal internship - that is very not normal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toona the Cat posted:

This reminds me, my current partner is a landscape designer/professional gardener. She pays her laborers more hourly than what I was getting paid as a lawyer.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Congrats on your future career in *spins wheel* insurance defense!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

I genuinely think you should be very suspicious of the innocence project group that is requiring you to raise money for them as part of your legal internship - that is very not normal.

It's literally the Innocence Project. I explicitly did not want a traditional legal internship, and they also needed this role.

I get how you think it sounds, and that's reasonable. But I also have much different plans for this degree than the normal student. I'm also at least familiar enough with the norm of this particular school (my parents and other family members are graduates), that I'm not truly going into it blind.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I kicked in some $. Nichael, you seem like you might be north of 30 years old, just a warning that if you do become a PD that starting out running district court calendars really sucks. I was 27 when I started, most of the older baby PDs couldn't keep up with the pace you need to keep poo poo running and flamed out. I moved states at 33 and had to start in district court again and it was so much worse. Even though I knew what I was doing, the grind was so taxing.

I recently moved states again and was faced with the prospect of restarting from the bottom if I wanted to keep being a PD, and noped out. Luckily, as other people mentioned, it wasn't too hard finding a different job with all of my court experience.

Good luck, being a lawyer is awful, but I hope you make it alright.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tokelau All Star posted:

I kicked in some $. Nichael, you seem like you might be north of 30 years old, just a warning that if you do become a PD that starting out running district court calendars really sucks. I was 27 when I started, most of the older baby PDs couldn't keep up with the pace you need to keep poo poo running and flamed out. I moved states at 33 and had to start in district court again and it was so much worse. Even though I knew what I was doing, the grind was so taxing.

I recently moved states again and was faced with the prospect of restarting from the bottom if I wanted to keep being a PD, and noped out. Luckily, as other people mentioned, it wasn't too hard finding a different job with all of my court experience.

Good luck, being a lawyer is awful, but I hope you make it alright.

Thanks a lot, that was very kind. And yes, unfortunately, that's more or less my age. Physically, keeping up with the demand of the work doesn't seem out of the question for me because I tend to operate pretty well under pressure with something I believe in. But emotionally, I don't know if I can handle it. One of the reasons I like working in the political realm is that it's detached enough from the personal that I can plausibly do good without getting wrecked by the sadness of the world.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Yeah, unfortunately it's both physical and emotional when you have 45 minutes to talk to 20+ angry dudes who have been in custody all weekend, tell most of them that they aren't getting out, some that they'll get out if they'll plead guilty today etc, then going out and running that calendar plus your regular out of custody calendar which could be 100 cases deep, and doing that day after day, week after week and so on.

It can be incredibly rewarding, I felt like I was a vital part of the community, people would talk to me in the street or at the grocery store and thank me for helping them or a family member in their jam and seeming like I actually gave a poo poo (because I actually did). But then you get the dudes who swear at you, scream at you, blame you, throw accusations at you. And when you legitimately care about the work, each of those guys slowly drain your empathy well until it's gone.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yeah, unfortunately it's both physical and emotional when you have 45 minutes to talk to 20+ angry dudes who have been in custody all weekend, tell most of them that they aren't getting out, some that they'll get out if they'll plead guilty today etc, then going out and running that calendar plus your regular out of custody calendar which could be 100 cases deep, and doing that day after day, week after week and so on.

It can be incredibly rewarding, I felt like I was a vital part of the community, people would talk to me in the street or at the grocery store and thank me for helping them or a family member in their jam and seeming like I actually gave a poo poo (because I actually did). But then you get the dudes who swear at you, scream at you, blame you, throw accusations at you. And when you legitimately care about the work, each of those guys slowly drain your empathy well until it's gone.

I'm sorry. You did good work though, you're a good person. None of this stuff is easy and the system is brutal.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The thing that law school needs that law school will never do is have a "dealing with mentally ill clients" class.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

GrandmaParty posted:

The thing that law school needs that law school will never do is have a "dealing with mentally ill clients" class.

My criminal law professor said in her time as a public defender, just about every client had at least some kind of untreated mental health condition.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

GrandmaParty posted:

Physician, heal thyself

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
You could always hang a shingle and take conflict cases? I'm not quite sure how that works 'cause I never worked that angle but it seemed like a really good way to take as many cases as you have time for while still doing public defender work. I know at least a few young lawyers who went this route out of law school and it seemed to work for them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You need to have low expenses and know the politics of getting the contracts but yes conflict work can jump start you

Also mailing letters to everyone who gets a dui over the weekend

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

On a more funny note, lol why aren't we called doctors too

https://www.abajournal.com/voice/ar...egree.%E2%80%9D

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

i heard there was a new "worst poster" in the thread. I've come to regain my crown.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nichael posted:

My criminal law professor said in her time as a public defender, just about every client had at least some kind of untreated mental health condition.

hmm wow v. interesting if true

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shageletic posted:

because we appropriated a random title of nobility when nobody was looking instead

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hello, I am an esquire, a very real title that i definitely have some right to instead of that long ago someone just decided it sounded good and realized they didn't get in trouble for calling themselves that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Always the esquire, never the knight.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I for one cannot stand the foul new laws of the Gracchi

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Nichael posted:

Wait until you meet opposing counsel. Talk about mentally unwell, geez louise

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

hello, I am an esquire, a very real title that i definitely have some right to instead of that long ago someone just decided it sounded good and realized they didn't get in trouble for calling themselves that

IIRC Henry the VIIIth started selling the 'esquire' title to raise money for wars or early modern dick pills or something and all the rich lawyers immediately went out and bought them. When the Monarchy stopped caring about the title the lawyers were like, "well, guess it's ours now, but you gotta pay the bar to get the title instead of the crown'.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Shageletic posted:

The solution to this discrepancy isn't to call lawyers "Doctor" but to make a law degree a two-year master's degree instead.
https://archive.nytimes.com/dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/obama-says-law-school-should-be-two-years-not-three/

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Muir posted:

The solution to this discrepancy isn't to call lawyers "Doctor" but to make a law degree a two-year master's degree instead.
https://archive.nytimes.com/dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/obama-says-law-school-should-be-two-years-not-three/
The UK does this right. Law is a 3 year undergrad degree, or a 1 year course you can do after you have an undergrad in anything else. Then you have to do two years of supervised training (where you get paid a reasonable wage) before being qualified.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ani posted:

The UK does this right. Law is a 3 year undergrad degree, or a 1 year course you can do after you have an undergrad in anything else. Then you have to do two years of supervised training (where you get paid a reasonable wage) before being qualified.

The UK does this wrong. In Norway, you get a 5 year master's degree in law (ignore the people who tell you there's a bachelor, there isn't) and then if you want to be an attorney you can apprentice for two years with the courts, prosecution or a licensed attorney as well as pass a bar exam. Never mind what I'm doing with this ladder, it's mine I pulled it up here myself now let's review your draft

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it’s done to call us doctors. It’s literally what the degree is

I am not worried about upsetting medical doctors

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

euphronius posted:

I think it’s done to call us doctors. It’s literally what the degree is

I am not worried about upsetting medical doctors

I've never met a lawyer who called themself doctor. I'm actually shocked to see anyone here defend the idea, given how vociferously anti-"Esquire" the thread is. It seems way more pretentious to ask to be called "doctor" with a JD than to use "Esq."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I personally prefer plain attorney, counselor and counsel

Esquire is useful for letters to indicate that one of the parties is an attorney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

euphronius posted:

I personally prefer plain attorney, counselor and counsel

Esquire is useful for letters to indicate that one of the parties is an attorney.

That is literally the only circumstance where esq. is appropriate.