Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Volte posted:

Honestly I don't see a near-future where 25-40% of any jobs are automated by this kind of AI, especially not the computer toucher jobs like programmers, and especially not anything with a mission critical component (and I mean that in the "failure = money lost" sense, not just in the "important pacemaker software" sense). If anything computer toucher jobs are the ones most able to transition into using AI as a tool (i.e. programmers may spend less time writing code and more time getting GPT to write the code) but I'm skeptical about technical jobs being wiped out at this point. At least not because they were wholesale replaced by an LLM that has read 1 billion reddit posts.

I won't argue that some corporate galaxy brains won't think they can do without any programmers or whatever, and the prospect of that level of corporate incompetence is definitely a real risk to some peoples' livelihoods in the short term, but I don't think the field itself is at any long-term risk from AI. Any kind of mass-AI-automation fad will likely have a similar hype-peak-crash arc that the crypto boom did. Big ideas only go so far before the stark reality of what's actually possible sets in.

Task-oriented creative jobs are going to be the ones most readily at risk of immediate replacement, and the backlash against companies using AI art where human art would have previously been used is well-deserved, but I'm hopeful that the dystopian "artists are now obsolete and all art will be generated at corporate headquarters from now on" outlook is not going to come to pass. AI art is a novelty right now and the main value it has is "wow an AI generated that, technology is crazy". Eventually that will shift and my hope is AI art will come to have the same emotional resonance as a MIDI file of your favourite song. It'll have its place, people won't be upset that it exists anymore, but it won't represent the death of the human artist any more than the invention of the synthesizer and drum machine represented the death of the musician. The unknown is the scariest part right now.

I appreciate your optimism, and my mind isn't really settled on how the proliferation of AI or LLMs or whatever you want to call them will shake out. I don't even disagree with any of your arguments, really. I just don't think there's much of a line between AI effectively replacing large segments of the workforce versus people with a profit motive who will never stop trying. AI doesn't have to be great, or even that good. It just has to convince someone to replace the cost of human labor, someone who likely has a financial incentive to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

as long as we're wiping out another million jobs, can we just finally admit that making people work to exist is loving stupid

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

as long as we're wiping out another million jobs, can we just finally admit that making people work to exist is loving stupid

No disagreements here. Nothing about Capitalism is good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My kind of job is absolutely going to be among the first on the AI chopping block. Companies are already scaling back tech writing and training in favor of having QA and developers do most of the tech writing (and yes, there's a huge quality hit accompanying this) and live training moving more and more towards e-learnings. The moment AI can create a halfway-passable e-learning in Articulate or something that just needs a quick editing pass to be passable, I'm out of a career.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

No disagreements here. Nothing about Capitalism is good.
oh yeah smart guy? what about

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

they did a study and there is some bias in game writing. sorry, time to give up the games.
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.221095

Skimmed through this, and to summarize: they took a total of 50 rpgs from popular and successful series, half of them "western" the other half "japanese", and implemented something or other to parse the games' English dialogue and track the gender of each speaker if possible. The results: yeah it's what you'd expect but actually a lil' worse. Cool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Harrow posted:

My kind of job is absolutely going to be among the first on the AI chopping block. Companies are already scaling back tech writing and training in favor of having QA and developers do most of the tech writing (and yes, there's a huge quality hit accompanying this) and live training moving more and more towards e-learnings. The moment AI can create a halfway-passable e-learning in Articulate or something that just needs a quick editing pass to be passable, I'm out of a career.

I'm a grantwriter and my buddy from another nonprofit said he just used ChatGPT to write the entirety of his last RFP. He was awarded $25,000. :spooky:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I'm a grantwriter and my buddy from another nonprofit said he just used ChatGPT to write the entirety of his last RFP. He was awarded $25,000. :spooky:

Yyyyup :negative:

I try not to be too doombrained about it but I think the AI-pocalypse for jobs like ours is closer than most people think.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Hopefully one of the benefits to come out of AI is a Universal Basic Income.

I mean LOL if it'll ever happen in the current US political climate but I can dream. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
To apply slightly more nuance to my previous post, AI is not inherently bad and if I had to guess will probably eventually get used for some incredibly cool and helpful things, making life easier, safer and maybe even more fun to tolerate.

Trouble is that comes after the world we currently live in, where the only people with the resources to create iterative learning systems are exactly the type of people who will take the minimum viable products created by those systems and seek only bad solutions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

Yyyyup :negative:

I try not to be too doombrained about it but I think the AI-pocalypse for jobs like ours is closer than most people think.

i had a grand ol' existential crisis for a couple days when i first popped open stable diffusion and figured out that i could feed it a simple 15-30 minute sketch and get a drawing that would take me 10+ hours to complete in under a minute

i'm still honing my craft and enjoy the process of doing art for the sake of doing art, but i'm also being realistic in acknowledging that i will have to at some point integrate the technology into my workflow in order to remain even modestly competitive, and that i'm gonna have to figure out ways to spin these processes into something novel so that i can make a proper living off of it. it kinda sucks, but them's the breaks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I mean LOL if it'll ever happen in the current US political climate but I can dream. :smith:

There was a time when UBI was popular among the tech bros who are pushing AI now because, well, people are gonna need money to buy the things you're making, even if you're making them a lot cheaper. If people don't have money, they can't buy things, and if nobody buys things, the people who own the AIs don't get to make money.

I feel like that's largely been dropped because people realized they can just blame people for picking the "wrong careers" and say they just need to be "retrained" while getting bailout money from the government.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

There was a time when UBI was popular among the tech bros who are pushing AI now because, well, people are gonna need money to buy the things you're making, even if you're making them a lot cheaper. If people don't have money, they can't buy things, and if nobody buys things, the people who own the AIs don't get to make money.

I feel like that's largely been dropped because people realized they can just blame people for picking the "wrong careers" and say they just need to be "retrained" while getting bailout money from the government.

Reduce your carbon foot print by becoming a gas miner in the outer Oort Cloud.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only thing protecting my career right now is that nonprofit development is still highly relational. The second they invent a ChatGPT interface that can go to suit and tie fundraisers and remember your kids’ birthdays, I’m done for.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

let's see what AI is up to today

https://twitter.com/ejdickson/status/1663910215748657153

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

The only thing protecting my career right now is that nonprofit development is still highly relational. The second they invent a ChatGPT interface that can go to suit and tie fundraisers and remember your kids’ birthdays, I’m done for.

hey charlie brooker: cyrano de bergerac but it's a guy with a chatGPT earpiece. DM me for where to send the check

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

The 7th Guest posted:

let's see what AI is up to today

wow, this ruined my day

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

exquisite tea posted:

The only thing protecting my career right now is that nonprofit development is still highly relational.

That's code for people sending emails at midnight. I'm onto you!!!

Signed, an Americorps VISTA alum

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

hatty posted:

wow, this ruined my day

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the AI evangelists telling people to advocate for UBI are like if oil executives went around telling environmental activists to find a button that turns off the sun. just throwing out impossible non-solutions to distract from their own complicity

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lol psycho poo poo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this is just a ripoff of that nft that took holocaust victim pictures and deepfaked them to talk about tolerance

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

hatty posted:

wow, this ruined my day

Orv
May 4, 2011

homeless snail posted:

this is just a ripoff of that nft that took holocaust victim pictures and deepfaked them to talk about tolerance

The loving what

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Orv posted:

The loving what

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
for a nominal series of fees I will provide deepfakes of your dead relatives telling you they love and are proud of you, and that they couldn't be happier your dead by daylight streaming career is finally taking off

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The fans of crime are at it again

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Lol lmao how are you liking eu4’s rtwp

eu4 is pause with real time, completely different

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

for a nominal series of fees I will provide deepfakes of your dead relatives telling you they love and are proud of you, and that they couldn't be happier your dead by daylight streaming career is finally taking off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg29TuWo0Yo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Lol indeed

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

And if they miss their payments, though, they instead get a deep fake of their dead relatives talking about how stupid and cheap they are. 😈

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

mutata posted:

And if they miss their payments, though, they instead get a deep fake of their dead relatives talking about how stupid and cheap they are. 😈

so the deep fake gets more accurate if you dont pay? idgi

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Skimmed through this, and to summarize: they took a total of 50 rpgs from popular and successful series, half of them "western" the other half "japanese", and implemented something or other to parse the games' English dialogue and track the gender of each speaker if possible. The results: yeah it's what you'd expect but actually a lil' worse. Cool

I wonder how limited they are by how many games have scripts available. I can't imagine adding a bajillion more games would change the stats very much if at all, Im just thinking I wouldn't know where to start grabbing game scripts.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

hatty posted:

so the deep fake gets more accurate if you dont pay? idgi

It's genius. Everyone will pay on time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
drat. i would never have realized that a majority of the lines in Final Fantasy XV were by male characters before reading that

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I got to see this live when he opened for Dan Deacon. It was even freakier in person

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

drat. i would never have realized that a majority of the lines in Final Fantasy XV were by male characters before reading that

Apparently ffx-2, the game with 3 female protags, has less female dialogue than male

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How many are actually doing this? Whenever I see one of these "get a load of this new and disgusting trend on TikTok" it turns out it is just one single user doing it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
One is too many imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

How many are actually doing this? Whenever I see one of these "get a load of this new and disgusting trend on TikTok" it turns out it is just one single user doing it.
the article claims many accounts, naming a couple (True Story Now, with 50K followers, and Nostalgia Narrative, with 175K followers), and that these videos get millions of views. it's rolling stone so it was definitely significant enough to warrant them covering it. it also looks like they were able to get True Story Now banned after reaching out to TikTok

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 31, 2023