Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Fake James posted:

Speaking of Flux Constructs, what do you do when they levitate really high up in the air as a giant square? I tried riding one of the dropped boxes with rewind, but it doesn't stay upright enough to get near it. I've just been moving off the arena until it loses sight of me then returning when it's back to it's default form, otherwise it takes like 10 minutes or more to stop hovering really high up.

I normally just shoot the bottom with a bomb arrow, which stuns them and makes them float down low enough to ascend through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fake James posted:

Speaking of Flux Constructs, what do you do when they levitate really high up in the air as a giant square? I tried riding one of the dropped boxes with rewind, but it doesn't stay upright enough to get near it. I've just been moving off the arena until it loses sight of me then returning when it's back to it's default form, otherwise it takes like 10 minutes or more to stop hovering really high up.

You had it right - recall the block, just make sure it isn't one that took a tumble or prepare to be quick on your feet. You can also just huck bombs at it until it comes down to Ascend range, or just rocket shield up

Captain Hygiene posted:

Very minor Depths spoiler question: I finally found a Marbled Gomah down there, how does blood moon respawning work for rematch bosses? I'm assuming the location/treasure changes or something, so I can't just beeline to this spot for a free 100 crystallized charges every time.

Yep, but I think you only get the charge for the first kill, though the boss fusion item on future kills is imho always worth it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Fake James posted:

you can use ultrahand to catch a box that is thrown at you and place it down in a way so that rewinding it wont tumble link off of it

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Seen a lot of complaints about the spirit temple in this thread but I just did it and it was piss easy and took like 2 minutes tops?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

congrats on your big brain

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Costco Meatballs posted:

That's the move. Easiest when he does the close drop and then horizontal push. Rewind the first in a row so you don't need to dodge as far, then get on top of the next one in the line that gets pushed to next to you and hop on

I'll give it another go tonight - was taking so much damage from the boxes I didn't give it too many more attempts after the first few failures.

Snake Maze posted:

I normally just shoot the bottom with a bomb arrow, which stuns them and makes them float down low enough to ascend through.

I never used bomb arrows on them before, I'll give that a try too!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Epic High Five posted:

Yep, but I think you only get the charge for the first kill, though the boss fusion item on future kills is imho always worth it

Makes sense, thank you!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fake James posted:

That's the move, I just did it last night. It always pauses for a few seconds before the rewind starts, giving you plenty of time to climb on top of it. In fact, I was surprised because the box ended up shooting way above the already very high construct, so I had to paraglide myself down.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

wedgie deliverer posted:

Does anyone have good tips for getting food supplies? The stuff at the shops is expensive and it takes forever to forage/hunt for stuff.

South Tabantha Snowfield is still a decent place to hunt for prime and gourmet meat, but it's been nerfed from BotW (animal spawns seem more sparse, and rhinos have been removed from the game). It's still nice because you can do all your hunting within walking/horseriding distance of a shrine and a stable. Same caveats as in BotW apply: Have cold resistance, pick up meat before it freezes on the ground, watch out for monsters, and headshot bears because they have tons of health. Bears also sometimes drop hearty salmon which are rare spawns in the wild so it's worth the extra trouble to hunt them if you see them.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
just did the "you have no equipment but here are some BattleBots" shrine

drat, Game Is Good

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

MiracleFlare posted:

(animal spawns seem more sparse, and rhinos have been removed from the game).

Man, Zelda really should have instituted an Endangered Species Act or something, Link's poaching is having a significant deleterious impact on the ecosystem

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there any key to the wandering fashionistas on the road who give you pointers to undiscovered armor sets? I've only met one in like 70 hours but they seem pretty great.

King Bahamut posted:

I got a peek at an armor/upgrading guide and—you aren’t really expected to be rolling into the endgame with L4, right? The defense stats seem like they would trivialize anything, and the upgrade requirements look absolutely absurd. I gotta assume this is completionist nonsense, or just for folks who want to face tank silver lynels

Level 4 soldier armor (84 def) can IIRC reduce silver lynel hits to a quarter heart. And a def elixir on top of that can give you 24 more if there's anything that can still damage you. So yeah the game is definitely not balanced to give a challenge to players with maxed out defense.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Man, Zelda really should have instituted an Endangered Species Act or something, Link's poaching is having a significant deleterious impact on the ecosystem

Newspaper questline spoiler: I like to think Zelda made the Dondon preserve specifically to prevent Link from trying to eat them. There's even an NPC in one of the stables who hears rumors of strange animals and wants to hunt them, and if you report back to her about the Dondons she's horrified that she wanted to eat a protected species lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Frankston posted:

Seen a lot of complaints about the spirit temple in this thread but I just did it and it was piss easy and took like 2 minutes tops?

I found that place early and got all the bonus chests and solved the puzzles, except you can't complete them without permission. Had to come back later and Speedrun because I already figured em out. The lava river one though I skipped the second time, just rocket slid right past it.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Nybble posted:

just did the "you have no equipment but here are some BattleBots" shrine

drat, Game Is Good

One of my favorite shrines because I just used the first two with spikes walls and sat around watching them gently bump up against enemies for like 20 minutes.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Gloom hands scared the hell out of me early game. Seeing the sages mob up on them to give me time to start flinging bomb flowers was a great moment in emergent storytelling.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tokelau All Star posted:

Gloom hands scared the hell out of me early game. Seeing the sages mob up on them to give me time to start flinging bomb flowers was a great moment in emergent storytelling.

I've been putting a skull on the map every time I find one, originally it was to mark for myself "don't loving go here or youll die" but now it means "come here to kill this thing after every blood moon" :getin:

Is there an easy place to get swallow bows or bows in general without fighting? My dad is avoiding fights because he's not great at them (I will inevitably clear some things for him) but he's needing easy bows for hunting and farming animal/critter drops. And I need swallow bows for the one repeatable bow quest

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

MiracleFlare posted:

South Tabantha Snowfield is still a decent place to hunt for prime and gourmet meat, but it's been nerfed from BotW (animal spawns seem more sparse, and rhinos have been removed from the game). It's still nice because you can do all your hunting within walking/horseriding distance of a shrine and a stable. Same caveats as in BotW apply: Have cold resistance, pick up meat before it freezes on the ground, watch out for monsters, and headshot bears because they have tons of health. Bears also sometimes drop hearty salmon which are rare spawns in the wild so it's worth the extra trouble to hunt them if you see them.

You can farm hearty salmon in the sky island northwest of Rito village with the two circular water bodies. Just drop an apple, lift up the 2 gates, and glue it to the apple on the "floor" and it'll stay open. Hop down and collect 4 fish. Sometimes there are even fairies to collect.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Fairies I think only spawn if you have less than 3, to get the most fairies, throw on some stealth armor, go to one of the high dive islands and catch 2, then go to another one and grab 3x

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bawk posted:

I've been putting a skull on the map every time I find one, originally it was to mark for myself "don't loving go here or youll die" but now it means "come here to kill this thing after every blood moon" :getin:

Is there an easy place to get swallow bows or bows in general without fighting? My dad is avoiding fights because he's not great at them (I will inevitably clear some things for him) but he's needing easy bows for hunting and farming animal/critter drops. And I need swallow bows for the one repeatable bow quest

Lizfalos drop bows and spawn in most areas you'll be hunting, they're what I use for getting meat in the snowfields. There's a Swallow bow at the proving grounds that I'm pretty sure respawns.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I've seen a lot of people complain about the one puzzle where you have to graft wheels to chains to open a door

I spent like 20 minutes trying to do it legit but then I realized I could just stick the chains to a box and pull it away, run through, then recall the door after it dropped and pull the box through with ultrahand

The fact that I could do that makes this game the best game I've ever played, hands down

Especially the decision to let bombflower arrows count as hits against targets in shrines, it's like "hey do you want to spend an hour loving around with ice fruit or wacky pivot physics? No? Bomb it."

GOTD

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

crazysim posted:

You can farm hearty salmon in the sky island northwest of Rito village with the two circular water bodies. Just drop an apple, lift up the 2 gates, and glue it to the apple on the "floor" and it'll stay open. Hop down and collect 4 fish. Sometimes there are even fairies to collect.

I've been hitting up Lightcast Island. 4-5 will spawn there just flopping around for the taking, along with a bunch of ancient arowana which are also not bad for healing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you see a bunch of fish in one place just use a shock fruit or any other source of electricity for easy food.
One of the vehicle schematics you can find is even tailor-made for this purpose.
if you go to the ocean and look for seagulls circling over the water, you can often find a ton of fish right below them.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is there any key to the wandering fashionistas on the road who give you pointers to undiscovered armor sets? I've only met one in like 70 hours but they seem pretty great.

travel by road more often I guess? there’s no real trick afaik they just show up on certain roads

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 31, 2023

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fake James posted:

Ascend

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just about all vertical movement is made easier by thinking "how can I use ascend and recall to cheese the gently caress out of this"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's not really a huge spoiler, but it does give you a schematic.

I decided to see if the shrine of resurrection was still around. You can go in the cave, but it's all run down and being used as a secret Yiga storage site.

But then if you defeat them, there's a construct in there who gives you the plans for a laser shooting master cycle knockoff :buddy:

So I finally figured out a use for this silly thing.

It's actually pretty great for hunting, just zooming around swinging a long range instadeath beam in front of you:

Until you bump it into a Lynel, who gets mad and remove it from existence :smith:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ciaphas posted:

wind temple boss so was i the only one whose first guess on how to handle it was to ram the fucker, and totally ignore bows
no, i did the exact same at first because it seemed much cooler.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Bow is still the best way to kill him though, 6 arrows per phase and you can hit every weak point in a single slow-mo.
are you even listening to yourself. "the best way to kill the boss is to just pause the game and shoot it 6 times, so simple" you fool. you simpleton. have you no soul.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

postmodifier posted:

I've seen a lot of people complain about the one puzzle where you have to graft wheels to chains to open a door

I spent like 20 minutes trying to do it legit but then I realized I could just stick the chains to a box and pull it away, run through, then recall the door after it dropped and pull the box through with ultrahand

I wasn't sure what puzzle people were talking about because ultrahand-recall-ultrahand seemed like the intended solution to me.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

postmodifier posted:

The fact that I could do that makes this game the best game I've ever played, hands down

Especially the decision to let bombflower arrows count as hits against targets in shrines, it's like "hey do you want to spend an hour loving around with ice fruit or wacky pivot physics? No? Bomb it."

GOTD

I got to the one shrine that everybody has been skipping/cheesing with the rotating mechanism and the stakes. One person said "saw the shrine layout, recognized it, left immediately, gently caress that"

I dont get it. It's just baseball :psyduck:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

postmodifier posted:

GOTD

Stuff like this cuts my shrine time so much. I needed 2 more hearts for mech. And blasted through 8 shrines so quickly.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bawk posted:

I got to the one shrine that everybody has been skipping/cheesing with the rotating mechanism and the stakes. One person said "saw the shrine layout, recognized it, left immediately, gently caress that"

I dont get it. It's just baseball :psyduck:

I thought it was a good balance of interesting and fun and not too hard, but watching people go through it and I think the critical difference is that I recognized that you can use the stake and paddle you rode into the arena on. I also used a stake to pin the slab blocking the optional target up.

Now the rolling ball one, that's one I don't even know how you'd do except via cheese

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I found the Wind Temple by accident, and found a way to get there that trivializes the usual path. I’m still gonna go the route the game wants you to go, but I know my mind will be thinking “but you could just use the floating platform by the Flux Construct.”

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I wasn't sure what puzzle people were talking about because ultrahand-recall-ultrahand seemed like the intended solution to me.

I think I only figured it out after I cheated it, but I think the intended solution is attaching wheels at 45 degree angles to the walls to have the box and the wheels end up on the other side so you can detach them and use them on the chains

I said gently caress it and just yeeted the box across and then spent too long trying to get wheels over before just taking advantage of the beautiful physics engine they built and saying no, no thank you

The number of times I've been able to just say nope to stuff they clearly designed another way is why I'll be playing this way longer than any game I've played in like 30 years

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i had a pretty intense immediate reaction to it because the gyro-control mechanism shrines in botw were all really bad and took forever

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Really high up. I assume you haven't met them (the answer is recall).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's one specific one that flies really high up as if to taunt you and there aren't any springs or fans around. I ended up dropping a bunch of my own springs and assembling it mid-fight to get enough air. :allears:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

CJacobs posted:

There's one specific one that flies really high up as if to taunt you and there aren't any springs or fans around. I ended up dropping a bunch of my own springs and assembling it mid-fight to get enough air. :allears:

Rocket shields will get you all the height you need.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Really high up. I assume you haven't met them (the answer is recall).

I guess they fly at different heights, mine was well within ascend range. It was the one at the end of the labyrinth quest so the arena was a little constrained which might have made a difference to the AI?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Drop a spring on the ground -> put a rocket on your shield -> jump on the spring and then rocket shield

It's how I've been dealing with Gleeoks when they hit that last third of their health bar. I can never seem to damage rush them fast enough :argh:

E: wait, no, that doesn't work does it. I need to go fight one tonight and double check what I've been doing

bawk fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Frankston posted:

Yeah I just did it and didn’t find it to be hard, just some kinda annoying things(Mineru’s damage is disappointing low, and you can’t give her fused weapons). I did give up on making the wheel door work and just opened and held it open with Rewind though.