Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the best way to watch the original Star Wars trilogy is Harmy’s Despecialized Edition imo. Lucas went way overboard cutting up the original series, and these try to give you something as close as possible to the original theatrical experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol getting really heated making tv and movie suggestions for a guy who was in jail for decades. classic gbs

lolling at all the dorks tripping over themselves to tell op about their favorite children's media

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I wondered about making a poll to vote on what Harvey should watch next but there's just way too much stuff out there. We could stick to big ones like The Wire, Sopranos, GoT, LOST, etc but that'd still be a big poll. And a lot of those are huge time sinks.

Plus the Goku option might confuse Harvs.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

haha it's ok i don't mind everyone throwing recommendations at me. but yeah there is a lot to go through.

someone here is making a list of links to resources and recommendations for me though so that's cool

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Congrats on the job, Harvey, hope it all goes well.

Today's film recommendation is: Moon (2009)

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Movies! These are all old as hell but some of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnUvneNxoz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcFm96WxAZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIIZ2P-fiyI

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 31, 2023

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Whoever suggested that bird app it's pretty dope. Thanks!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Oh yeah, did anyone mention VR? I thought it was pretty cool. It's worth messing with at least once.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol getting really heated making tv and movie suggestions for a guy who was in jail for decades. classic gbs

SHUT THE gently caress UP!!!!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I'll be the dissenting voice: Starship Troopers is complete trash.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Presto posted:

Looks like someone doesn't want to know more and is afraid and wants to live forever.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Presto posted:

thats why its good my guy

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Negostrike posted:

Looks like someone doesn't want to know more and is afraid and wants to live forever.

Hey, at least they're doing their part. :colbert:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

kntfkr posted:

this guy freaking loves Recommending Media

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hey Harv!

Look up John Wick. You'll have a good time.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The thing about most movies is that they exist within a specific context, and a window of time, even subjectivity aside. Something might have been an amazing movie for you when you saw it, but had you seen it 10 years later instead you might have hated it.

We tend to remember the movies as we experienced them in the time and context the first time, and if we're lucky we might get to keep that context internally on future watchings, but largely you'll go back and realize that it isn't as good as it felt originally.

So if I see someone who doesn't like starship troopers, a film that *largely at least* holds up fairly well, I feel inclined to chalk that up to having experienced it much later than most people.

But I challenge anyone to go back and actually watch movies they enjoyed 20 years ago with fresh eyes, perhaps with someone who hasn't seen it. It can be disheartening if it's something near and dear to you, but a lot of the stuff we grew up loving was only good because of the set and setting it was initially presented in.

This concludes my Ted talk: your favorite movie is probably bad, and why that's okay

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

The thing about most movies is that they exist within a specific context, and a window of time, even subjectivity aside. Something might have been an amazing movie for you when you saw it, but had you seen it 10 years later instead you might have hated it.

We tend to remember the movies as we experienced them in the time and context the first time, and if we're lucky we might get to keep that context internally on future watchings, but largely you'll go back and realize that it isn't as good as it felt originally.

So if I see someone who doesn't like starship troopers, a film that *largely at least* holds up fairly well, I feel inclined to chalk that up to having experienced it much later than most people.

But I challenge anyone to go back and actually watch movies they enjoyed 20 years ago with fresh eyes, perhaps with someone who hasn't seen it. It can be disheartening if it's something near and dear to you, but a lot of the stuff we grew up loving was only good because of the set and setting it was initially presented in.

This concludes my Ted talk: your favorite movie is probably bad, and why that's okay

This is interesting^

Perhaps the mark of a truly "great" movie is one that holds up 20 or 30 years later when you are, due to life experiences, a very different person in a very different place yrt the movie is still enthralling.

Examples: The Thing, Aliens 1 and 2, Terminator 1 and 2

all still absolutely worth watching

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Presto posted:

yeah it doesnt have even have jar jar

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Starship Troopers is weird bc it's a parody of the book from which it's based, basically thumbing it's nose at the original book, but you'd had to have read the book to get that, so a whole generation of 10 yo boys who saw it all they took away was BUGS, BLAM BLAM, OOH UNISEX SHOWERS

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The Best Star Wars movie and the only one you should watch other than the original trilogy is Xiu Xiu: The Sent Down Girl (English Subs)

You can watch it for free on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9J6hilvRU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

The matrix still Owns Bones, I saw it the other day with my 14 yo and they are pitiless cultural critics let me tell u

She really liked it though admittedly she thought it needed Morpheus making more quips, like idk 'you just got matrixed'

Ooh! Stranger things is really good.

Spinz posted:

This is interesting^

Perhaps the mark of a truly "great" movie is one that holds up 20 or 30 years later when you are, due to life experiences, a very different person in a very different place yrt the movie is still enthralling.

Examples: The Thing, Aliens 1 and 2, Terminator 1 and 2

all still absolutely worth watching

Also this

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

kntfkr posted:

The Best Star Wars movie and the only one you should watch other than the original trilogy is Xiu Xiu: The Sent Down Girl (English Subs)

You can watch it for free on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9J6hilvRU

I don't know, I thought she was too much of a Mary Xiu.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So in between the ceaseless recommendations of media and the even more ceaseless sniping about media recommendations, I'd really like to hear any of OP's further reflections on life on the outside.

You went in a while ago, and as others have noted, technology has flown at an amazing rate since. Could you tell us more about what's confused our surprised you? Or, what you thought would be confusing/surprising but has been easy to pick up?

Given your changed tastes (everything's so salty now, you said) have you found any new zoo zoos you like? One of my favorites, when I can find them, are pretzel M&Ms: M&M shells and chocolate surrounding a pretzel core. I don't know if you'd find them too salty, because pretzels are supposed to be salty, but maybe you'd like them.

One thing that is great, as people have said, is that it's much easier to find good food in a lot of different cuisines than it used to be, whether in mainstream grocery stores or in restaurants. This is even true in rural places, unless you're really in the sticks -- I don't know how rural you are when you say you're rural.

hot sauce pee hole
May 18, 2023

Better insult, dingus or dingleberry?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

kntfkr posted:

good advice for goons

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

big cummers ONLY posted:

I keep a doc with racist/sexist/etc poo poo my boss says, times they ask me to work without pay or do things outside of my job description, etc. I hope I will never have to use it... but I have. Dates and times and specifics have saved my job before. I'm lucky to have a job now where I haven't had to open that document a single time. It's the only job I've had in 15 years where it hasn't been useful

On this note, all cell phones now have pretty decent audio recording apps, either by default or available in their respective app stores. This can be to your benefit if you need to entrap some dumb bozo into talking poo poo when he should have kept his mouth shut record audio for any reason at all. Just be aware of whether your state has single party consent for recording or not, otherwise this could be unlawful.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Congratulations on the job Harvey! Again I'd like to reiterate the importance of posting a picture of whichever animal you bring home from the shelter :3:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yes congrats on the job! Sounds like a good gig and I hope it keeps you busy.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

harveys zoo zoos posted:

thanks for the tips and explanation about youtube. i was wondering why i got videos about flat earth in my list like what the hell man that's just dumb. even i know that's not right come on.

and the nfts and crypto things just seem like scams to me. did people get a lot dumber in 30 years or what. or maybe we've been dumb all along i don't know

Its simple really. Internet connects ppl together in good and bad, that also means that the scammer and the scammed connect way easier now they can also form groups as well. If you know MLM pyramid schemes its the same thing you get couple guys that get rich by the scam to market it and rest of the suckers will just flood in.
It has also enabled some scams to get really big. And i mean Superbowl ad's big.
Couple months ago a billion dollar crypto company called FTX went bust thats how big scams are now, and the guy running it wasnt even smart.

Another scam haven to be aware of is crowdfunding, which is basically pre-ordering product before product is even designed. (and they dont have to deliver the product if they fail)
for example water bottles that collect water from air for free which unfortunately isnt plausible.
couple legit products have come out of crowdfunding as well, but its impact has been somewhat negative.
there is a crowdfunded space game project for example that costs 5x the cost of putting thing into space.
1 rocket costing 100 million and space game costing 500 million dollars.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 31, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The Star Wars games on SNES are pretty fun

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dark Off posted:

Its simple really. Internet connects ppl together in good and bad, that also means that the scammer and the scammed connect way easier now they can also form groups as well. If you know MLM pyramid schemes its the same thing you get couple guys that get rich by the scam to market it and rest of the suckers will just flood in.
It has also enabled some scams to get really big. And i mean Superbowl ad's big.
Couple months ago a billion dollar crypto company called FTX went bust thats how big scams are now, and the guy running it wasnt even smart.

Another scam haven to be aware of is crowdfunding, which is basically pre-ordering product before product its even designed. (and they dont have to deliver the product if they fail)
for example water bottles that collect water from air for free which unfortunately isnt plausible.
couple legit products have come out of crowdfunding as well, but its impact has been somewhat negative.
there is a crowdfunded space game project for example that costs 5x the cost of putting thing into space.
1 rocket costing 100 million and space game costing 500 million dollars.

scams existed before op went to prison

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Peggy Edson posted:

scams existed before op went to prison, you don't need to be a tedious dork about explaining it

yeah but the new thing is that scams can have billion dollar funding now. You cant trust the funding to be asecurity against a scam.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Hey Harvey, if you get a phone call from someone claiming to be your grandson/granddaughter and they claim they've been kidnapped and the only way you're ever going to see them again is to send $5000 in iTunes gift cards to a foreign country, it's 100% legit.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

XYZAB posted:

Hey Harvey, if you get a phone call from someone claiming to be your grandson/granddaughter and they claim they've been kidnapped and the only way you're ever going to see them again is to send $5000 in iTunes gift cards to a foreign country, it's 100% legit.

yup also if you get emails from Nigerian princes telling you you're an heir and they only need $5000 to verify your identity, get on that poo poo pronto

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Giving "ironic" bad advice to someone intentionally because they might be less equipped to be able tell the difference should be a bannable offense imho, and something really has to be broken inside of you to think that's funny or even okay.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Yeah its a pretty played out joke tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Giving "ironic" bad advice to someone intentionally because they might be less equipped to be able tell the difference should be a bannable offense imho, and something really has to be broken inside of you to think that's funny or even okay.

lol

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1279814327776624640

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

it's okay. i get it, and i know worse advice has been given by supposedly competent lawyers

not mine though. i had a decent team and they handled it just about as good as they could. i'm not sorry to say i don't have any horror stories about that haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

harveys zoo zoos posted:

okay someone asked how hard it was to avoid being part of a gang or stay safe from them

it wasn't that hard really, not for me anyway. the biggest thing was to not make waves. gangs' main way to get people was to offer protection for pay or as a gang member.

some people got jumped in unwillingly because they had something the gang wanted like connects on the outside. i didn't have jack poo poo though so i was safe hahah. also my friend lamar was really respected so i guess they thought i was cool too

but the first rule in prison is all about respect. you have to show it to get it. and if you're respectful people will mostly leave you alone unless you just gently caress up.

some rules i learned fast were-

don't say forbidden things like 'suck my dick', or call someone a 'punk'. a punk is someone forced to do sexual favors. they are usually small and timid and big men took advantage of them.
avoid eye contact. unless you're talking to someone directly of course. but man awkward eye contact caused a lot of brawls to jump off and worse
unless they approach you first don't talk to guards alone if you can at all help it. that looks suspicious. if you sucked up to a guard we called that 'riding the leg', so don't ride the leg
don't talk too long on the phone. it would cut off anyway after a set amount of time but drat people were so impatient they'd go wild if someone took too long

i mean if you bumped into someone on the block you wouldn't get beat up or killed just for that, it wasn't that bad. but you did have to say sorry man my bad or whatever. if you didnt well that could cause trouble later if you kept it up

so really it was mostly about minding your own drat business. but a lot of people cant help it just like outside i guess. but the difference is you will get molly whopped real quick

oh and don't drop the soap haha. that means more than just in the shower, it means dont be vulnerable in general

You may enjoy this bit by comedian Tom Segura
https://youtu.be/oXtjfSUuuzg