Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
The last three posters are collectively the reason teslas believe red is a go signal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

it is every human's moral obligation to train the robot wrong on purpose, as a joke

You are mistaken if you think the robots functioning wrong will stop them from taking all our jobs

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
it's no joke

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I miss the old two word captchas and the comics people made out of them

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You're just a lyin tometa

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
who turgled

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Chard posted:

it is every human's moral obligation to train the robot wrong on purpose, as a joketreat

Ftfy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HiroProtagonist posted:

The last three posters are collectively the reason teslas believe red is a go signal

So I'm a part of the reason tesla eventually gets slapped with a class action lawsuit hell yeah

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Milo and POTUS posted:

So I'm a part of the reason tesla eventually gets slapped with a class action lawsuit hell yeah

P sure that the way the law works, tesla will be the class and you'll be the one on the hook

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

eSports Chaebol posted:

okay something I can’t believe I never thought of before

in the canonical universe of The Matrix movies, when you jack into the matrix, you appear as your own residual self image. does this mean that a furry could appear as their fursona? I really feel like this angle needs to be explored. or what if tulpas are real and they’re malicious viruses that hack into your brain. where’s the fanfiction at
Yeah, the character Switch was supposed to change apparent genders in and out of the Matrix due to their self-image. Studio killed it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The 7th Guest posted:

if i had to read this headline then everyone else must

https://twitter.com/ejdickson/status/1663910215748657153

you don't have to read the article because it's upsetting but i will include the opening paragraphs via spoiler (it's upsetting)

this is the kind of sociopathy that can happen when none of this poo poo is regulated. i dunno what form it would take but there has to be something, something that can stop these freaks

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
True crime is thought crime.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I prefer fake crime

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

one of the most disgusting things I have ever read

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The only thing more hosed up than true crime as entertainment are the fans of true crime poo poo.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
TrueAnon is the only good true crime podcast

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

TrueAnon is the only good true crime podcast

Small Town Murder and Crime in Sports are both pretty good and not even a little bit copaganda.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the random racism bit at the end lmao

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Twue Cwime.

Sorry, sorry, I'll see myself out.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Nichael posted:

the random racism bit at the end lmao

In fairness to the creator, they probably just typed "adorable little girl" into the box and the program went, oh, you mean white

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
We should plan ahead and program AIs that want to be eaten.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Rochallor posted:

In fairness to the creator, they probably just typed "adorable little girl" into the box and the program went, oh, you mean white

i don't want to be fair to the creepy baby murder story ticktocker op

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vox Nihili posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7ezkm/eating-disorder-helpline-fires-staff-transitions-to-chatbot-after-unionization

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/24/1177847298/can-a-chatbot-help-people-with-eating-disorders-as-well-as-another-human

The chatbot, named Tessa, is described as a “wellness chatbot” and has been in operation since February 2022. The Helpline program will end starting June 1, and Tessa will become the main support system available through NEDA. Helpline volunteers were also asked to step down from their one-on-one support roles and serve as “testers” for the chatbot. According to NPR, which obtained a recording of the call where NEDA fired helpline staff and announced a transition to the chatbot, Tessa was created by a team at Washington University’s medical school and spearheaded by Dr. Ellen Fitzsimmons-Craft. The chatbot was trained to specifically address body image issues using therapeutic methods and only has a limited number of responses.

update, from yesterday

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjvk97/eating-disorder-helpline-disables-chatbot-for-harmful-responses-after-firing-human-staff

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Do you ever stop and consider the bright sides of global warming because in my hours of weakness I like to hoot and holler and spray Freon directly into the air

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Morgan Freeman voice: "But they did not re-hire the helpline staff, and it fact, it got worse."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Honestly that sounds like a charity mid-collapse. Can't afford to pay the staff, only the managers. Chatbot instead of a crisis line. Pretty soon they'll be one of those charities that don't do anything, except "raise awareness" through fundraising. The fundraising of course going to pay the CEO and fundraising team.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Uh, you're talking about them aren't you? Awareness raised

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Facebook Aunt posted:

Honestly that sounds like a charity mid-collapse. Can't afford to pay the staff, only the managers. Chatbot instead of a crisis line. Pretty soon they'll be one of those charities that don't do anything, except "raise awareness" through fundraising. The fundraising of course going to pay the CEO and fundraising team.

A chatbot just absolutely cannot perform the only mission-critical task of a crisis line, so if a crisis line is trying to replace its functioning tools with a broken toy, they probably meant to wrap up the whole operation months ago.

So far AIs seem to fall into 3 categories: 1) toys that are of mild interest that for some reason get talked about as if they're the next atom bomb 2) computer programs that let management do do whatever they wanted to do anyway but with less transparency and/or more speed 3) surprisingly useful industrial algorithms that don't get reported in the news because they're nerd poo poo.

I think we're fairly late in this chatbot hype cycle at this point. Not quite at the funny youtube expose or dark comedy journalism parts unfortunately, but the steam's gonna run out sooner rather than later on this one. Wondering what next unpromising dead-end tech the kind of people who bought into the pivot to video and NFTs will come up with next.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

We're due for a new burger flipping robots scolding against a $15 minimum wage, next I bet it's going to be some kind of electric car tomfoolery where they embed NFC into speed limit signs* and it sets the cruise control automatically

*On a 3 mi stretch of road in silicon valley**

**Total cost $94 million dollars and at least six dead

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tulip posted:

A chatbot just absolutely cannot perform the only mission-critical task of a crisis line, so if a crisis line is trying to replace its functioning tools with a broken toy, they probably meant to wrap up the whole operation months ago.

So far AIs seem to fall into 3 categories: 1) toys that are of mild interest that for some reason get talked about as if they're the next atom bomb 2) computer programs that let management do do whatever they wanted to do anyway but with less transparency and/or more speed 3) surprisingly useful industrial algorithms that don't get reported in the news because they're nerd poo poo.

I think we're fairly late in this chatbot hype cycle at this point. Not quite at the funny youtube expose or dark comedy journalism parts unfortunately, but the steam's gonna run out sooner rather than later on this one. Wondering what next unpromising dead-end tech the kind of people who bought into the pivot to video and NFTs will come up with next.

It will be anything that can plausibly be spun as taking power away from labor in some small way.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

I'm confused by the conversation in the images. Their doctor said to lose weight but the therapist said not to "focus on" weight loss?

What advice are you supposed to give in this situation? Why is it wrong to say "Yes, it is important that you lose weight" if that's what the doctor said?

Is the doctor line supposed to be a lie that gets called out? Is it supposed to be taken as true but ignored because the eating disorder is more important?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

We're due for a new burger flipping robots scolding against a $15 minimum wage, next I bet it's going to be some kind of electric car tomfoolery where they embed NFC into speed limit signs* and it sets the cruise control automatically

*On a 3 mi stretch of road in silicon valley**

**Total cost $94 million dollars and at least six dead

My car (bog-standard corolla) detects and reads standard speed-limit signs using the navigation camera. It just displays the speed limit to me doesn't touch the cruise control setting, but that's because Toyota engineers are sane not because of technological limitations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dylan16807 posted:

I'm confused by the conversation in the images. Their doctor said to lose weight but the therapist said not to "focus on" weight loss?

What advice are you supposed to give in this situation? Why is it wrong to say "Yes, it is important that you lose weight" if that's what the doctor said?

Is the doctor line supposed to be a lie that gets called out? Is it supposed to be taken as true but ignored because the eating disorder is more important?

Telling someone with an eating disorder to lose weight in a healthy way is akin to telling a clinically depressed person to cheer up.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Telling someone with an eating disorder to lose weight in a healthy way is akin to telling a clinically depressed person to cheer up.

In general yes, but what do you say in response to the doctor line? Are you supposed to refuse to agree with what the doctor said?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Alexis Conason, a psychologist specializing in eating disorders, also revealed her conversation with Tessa through a series of screenshots on Instagram, where she is told that “a safe daily calorie deficit” is “500-1000 calories per day.”

“To advise somebody who is struggling with an eating disorder to essentially engage in the same eating disorder behaviors, and validating that, ‘Yes, it is important that you lose weight’ is supporting eating disorders,” Conason told the Daily Dot.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

if someone is texting with an eating disorder support line what they need to hear is that weight loss is not always a good thing and that a healthy relation with eating is more important than societal expectations around beauty and health. You stupid loving dick.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Dylan16807 posted:

In general yes, but what do you say in response to the doctor line? Are you supposed to refuse to agree with what the doctor said?
a lot of doctors don't understand eating disorders and give lovely advice. very occasionally a qualified therapist will disagree out loud with what a doctor said, if that's what's best for the client. a chatbot can't make that judgment call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I mean even if their weight is directly causing a health problem, the reason they’re at this helpline at this moment is because of an eating disorder and you’re definitely not going to be doing them any favors by reinforcing it.