Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
anyway, tell her to follow the example of avshalom and walk into the jungle naked to preach to the quail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

having been raised in the church of rome, this blown my mind in a way that surprised me. how many major christian sects have women ministers?

I know. Me too. I think she is delusional. But I guess it's obvious with her being religious.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I somehow missed that she already spent 6 years at NYU and dropped out before this.

You are morally obligated to rob her and destroy any outgoing mail applying for loans or divinity school at this point.

Yes! This so much. I wish I could but she lives in LA. (Another BWM decision) How do I tell our parents not to fund her?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

having been raised in the church of rome, this blown my mind in a way that surprised me. how many major christian sects have women ministers?

Do Lutherans count as "major"? I've met several lady priests.

I apologize for possibly not using the right term, but in Finnish I would say the term translates to "priest".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Do Lutherans count as "major"? I've met several lady priests.

I apologize for possibly not using the right term, but in Finnish I would say the term translates to "priest".

All the major Protestant denominations have women as ministers (Lutheran, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodist).

The holdouts are the usual ones - southern Evangelicals/ Baptists.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lemon Trees posted:

Since I got a negative reception to posting this in E/N for some reason and was told to post this in D&D, I figured I will:

My sister told me yesterday that she wanted to go to divinity school, and I'm completely floored. Apparently my parents are ok with paying for it too even though she spent 6 years in undergrad going to a wannabe Ivy. (Think NYU) How the gently caress do I deal with this? A few years ago my sister said she was Christian. I was like whatever, it's a phase, but apparently she's still going at it. I can't believe she's willing to be associated with the most hateful people on Earth.

It's a bad financial decision, but if she and your parents are both aware of that and fine with spending the money on something unlikely to bring much financial return, it's okay to pursue higher education for something that doesn't pay well.

As for whatever annoying internet atheist issues you're going to have to work through, I really think those are better suited for E/N.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Lemon Trees posted:

Yes! This so much. I wish I could but she lives in LA. (Another BWM decision) How do I tell our parents not to fund her?

my serious answer is to wipe your hands of it. you're not going to change their mind, anything beyond a basic statement of your feelings is wasted effort. if you feel like your sister attempting to become a woman of the cloth is truly beyond the pale you could consider severing, but this is not a battle to be won

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my serious answer is to wipe your hands of it. you're not going to change their mind, anything beyond a basic statement of your feelings is wasted effort. if you feel like your sister attempting to become a woman of the cloth is truly beyond the pale you could consider severing, but this is not a battle to be won

How do you know I'm not going to change their mind? My parents aren't religious. I think they are just worried for my sister and figure she doesn't have any good prospects in life.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Deteriorata posted:

All the major Protestant denominations have women as ministers (Lutheran, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodist).

The holdouts are the usual ones - southern Evangelicals/ Baptists.

huh, i recall continuing controversy in the anglican church over women's role in the church, i guess i assumed it was similar in the less spicy protestant denominations

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Lemon Trees posted:

How do you know I'm not going to change their mind? My parents aren't religious. I think they are just worried for my sister and figure she doesn't have any good prospects in life.

you're not going to change my mind on not being able to change your parents mind

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you're not going to change my mind on not being able to change your parents mind

I mean I'm just curious on why you think I am not be able to change my parents' mind?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Lemon Trees posted:

I mean I'm just curious on why you think I am not be able to change my parents' mind?

it's a decision between your parents and your sister, why would they even seriously consider your thoughts on the matter? your parents probably already had some inkling that you wouldn't be happy with this and they made a promise anyway, what are the odds that you're going to pull out some compelling point that they really didn't consider that would be enough to rescind promised financial support?

like, obviously i don't know the specifics of you and your family, but all of my life experience points to trying to turn this into an argument would be an exercise in needless frustration

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
She doesn't need to go to school to be a minister. Anybody can call themselves a "non-denominational" fundie pastor. Instead of divinity school, she could just put that money towards renting a storefront in a dying stripmall and put up a sign that says something like "Freedom Life Church" and start grifting.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

cat botherer posted:

She doesn't need to go to school to be a minister. Anybody can call themselves a "non-denominational" fundie pastor. Instead of divinity school, she could just put that money towards renting a storefront in a dying stripmall and put up a sign that says something like "Freedom Life Church" and start grifting.

That's hilarious. And I'm definitely going to let my parents know

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cat botherer posted:

The religious clothing store a little down the street from where I work is always busy with crazy old white people with more money than common sense lined up to go in. And they close on Sundays!

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's a decision between your parents and your sister, why would they even seriously consider your thoughts on the matter? your parents probably already had some inkling that you wouldn't be happy with this and they made a promise anyway, what are the odds that you're going to pull out some compelling point that they really didn't consider that would be enough to rescind promised financial support?

like, obviously i don't know the specifics of you and your family, but all of my life experience points to trying to turn this into an argument would be an exercise in needless frustration

They're immigrants and not religious, so they're not too familiar with how this works. They don't understand that she doesn't need a degree nor that she won't find a job since she's a woman

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Lemon Trees posted:

They're immigrants and not religious, so they're not too familiar with how this works. They don't understand that she doesn't need a degree nor that she won't find a job since she's a woman

alright, i wish you good luck in getting what you want out of this

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lemon Trees posted:

why do you have such a strong opinion about this? have you considered chilling out instead of starting this conversation in five different threads?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
ok, i went and looked at why you got a "negative reception" in E/N

you should probably go post your "going to cut my sister out of my life because she's Christian" stuff in one of the forums where people are allowed to just straight-up call you a dumbass

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Main Paineframe posted:

ok, i went and looked at why you got a "negative reception" in E/N

you should probably go post your "going to cut my sister out of my life because she's Christian" stuff in one of the forums where people are allowed to just straight-up call you a dumbass

I mean we can do that here, right?

e: you're a dumbass, op

e2: lmao what the gently caress rust

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

I'm having flashbacks to him about to explain how his sister had her hair in a ponytail but it got wet

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't post in e/n because i find it exhausting, but this seems like a harsh note to end on. lemon tree just consider why your sister's decision bothers you so much and lay that out to your family. i'm trying to avoid making assumptions here, but i get the sense that the cost to earning potential of this career is not the only or perhaps even a significant factor in what's bothering you. consider having a frank but not overly confrontational conversation with your family about your feelings and concerns. don't be to surprised if whatever tack you end up taking ends up not really getting much of a reception. whatever you choose to do I again wish you the best of luck

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
for what it's worth, a BRE or BA from a divinity school is not something that narrows your life prospects down to taking the cloth. a BRE is a bit more focused on becoming a working minister or teacher but it is still a generalist degree, and knowing how to teach the bible or manage a ministry are still perfectly useful skills in a business or public school.

post-grad religious education doesn't have a lot of application outside of a church (and some of these programs are called bachelor's programs for historical reasons), but generally those programs involve an already-existing near-professional relationship with a specific church. at that point you're not starting a career so much as continuing it.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

listen to this wise man, let your sister try to become divine if that's what she wants, life is all about the attempt

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i want to be learn shechita, which is something that you can't just sign up for under my circumstances, so i'm trying to find ways to very subtly work it into conversation so i can figure out who knows how to do it and can teach me

them: hello, nice to meet you
me: have you ever killed a sheep with your bare hands? i mean, in a good way

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 1, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

a strange fowl posted:

listen to this wise man, let your sister try to become divine if that's what she wants, life is all about the attempt
I love my divine sister

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rust Martialis posted:

I'm having flashbacks to him about to explain how his sister had her hair in a ponytail but it got wet

because they were both getting weighed in a big drum of water

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
d&d is a pro-religion forum

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lemon Trees posted:

your post+vibes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tbh I can't see how you'd look at the absolute grift that being a 'christian' in the US is and not want some of that easy money

hell their loving messiah is a twice-divorced serial philanderer and rapist who is the living embodiment of the seven deadly sins

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Tesseraction posted:

tbh I can't see how you'd look at the absolute grift that being a 'christian' in the US is and not want some of that easy money

hell their loving messiah is a twice-divorced serial philanderer and rapist who is the living embodiment of the seven deadly sins

trump actually makes a fabulously all inclusive candidate for The Literal Antichrist according to practically any of the eschatological hallmarks constantly constantly constantly used by evangelicals, and this happened to be true even before he pronounced himself a messiah

they all going around saying "you must keep your eyes peeled for the Great Beast, the Little Horn, Mammon, the Son of Perdition! Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any God! He shall magnify himself above all!" then they turn around and look at trump and go "clearly god has sent him as our champion,"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tesseraction posted:

Unless you become a major pastor of a huge congregation, someone high-ranking in the Catholic Church, or one of those megachurch preachers whose entire goal is to scam people, then most of the money in laboring for organized religion comes from the people doing it for free/next to nothing. The median wage for a minister who runs an entire church in the U.S. is about $38k.

Jesus, Disney World, and video game companies are very similar in that they have huge amounts of people who are willing to work for them for nothing.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Staluigi posted:

trump actually makes a fabulously all inclusive candidate for The Literal Antichrist according to practically any of the eschatological hallmarks constantly constantly constantly used by evangelicals, and this happened to be true even before he pronounced himself a messiah

they all going around saying "you must keep your eyes peeled for the Great Beast, the Little Horn, Mammon, the Son of Perdition! Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any God! He shall magnify himself above all!" then they turn around and look at trump and go "clearly god has sent him as our champion,"
Well they also say that the antichrist will sucker in hordes of the faithful and they'll harden their hearts to any and all attempts to persuade them otherwise, so... yeah. Checks out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Unless you become a major pastor of a huge congregation, someone high-ranking in the Catholic Church, or one of those megachurch preachers whose entire goal is to scam people, then most of the money in laboring for organized religion comes from the people doing it for free/next to nothing. The median wage for a minister who runs an entire church in the U.S. is about $38k.

Jesus, Disney World, and video game companies are very similar in that they have huge amounts of people who are willing to work for them for nothing.

I have every faith that Lemon Trees sister can make bank like a champ. Well one specific faith: American Evangelism.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i bet there's some decent money in the christian focused book circuit

Staluigi posted:

i remember o'reilly or someone similar once talking about 'expensive give aways' to the poor and angrily concluding "jesus wasn't charitable to the point of self-destruction!" and even as an atheist lapsed catholic i was shocked that someone could so thoroughly miss the entire loving point of the gospels and the one message integral to all branches of christianity

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I, too, have never heard of the lesson of the widow's mite

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i mean that lesson and the instruction to give from your need comes to mind, but jesus literally chose his own self-destruction in order to redeem mankind, and that's at the core of the religion. it was a statement that almost struck me as blasphemous when you get down to it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I always like the thoery that Jesus was just trusting God to do something and then like, just before the first nail on the cross is driven in God's like "...yeah this is awkward but I'm gonna need you to die here sorry"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I always like the thoery that Jesus was just trusting God to do something and then like, just before the first nail on the cross is driven in God's like "...yeah this is awkward but I'm gonna need you to die here sorry"

"Like Isaac, maybe? Please?"

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Tesseraction posted:

That's a lot nicer than the Gnostic Christian version. Gnostic ideas have been related to those of Buddhism and Neo-Platonism. Such comparisons extremely insulting to these schools. While you don't "gotta hand it" to St. Augustine, Christianity as developed through the Middle Ages was much less stupid.

tl;dr Gnosticism says that the material world is an evil illusion that's the fault of the evil Demiurge, who was the god of the Old Testiment. The OG God was cool, and the Demiurge sucks. Jesus was an son-like emanation from the cool God that went in to some random adult carpenter. Upon crucifixion, the Son of God peaced out and then this poor carpenter bastard found himself back in his body, dying slowly and horrifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gnostic God seems like an arsehole ngl