Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

euphronius posted:

look out minority children

racism, cowardice, and hilarious inefficiency… three great flavors capitalists love!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i think we could fix 80% of the problems with american high school if we made kids read good and interesting books instead of macbeth and hamlet

Good and interesting are so subjective. Better to stick to universally terrible works, like Faulkner.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
and atlas shrugged

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lots of stupid today. Inside and outside the thread.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

not me tho, im pickle rick

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i think we could fix 80% of the problems with american high school if we made kids read good and interesting books instead of macbeth and hamlet
great gatsby is a legit great fun book but the materialism/classism is not taught for some reason. instead it’s like is write an 3 prong essay about the themes suggesting nick is gay?? what does daphnes infidelity mean to masculinity

weird huh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

I’ve seen the stupid inside but what’s happening in the outside world

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

I’ve seen the stupid inside but what’s happening in the outside world

we are being gaslit into believing the debt ceiling deal was biden being a genius negotiator and not the outcome everyone would said would happen months ago

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Wow NASA is literally giving a live broadcast on UFO’s and the Econ thread is focusing on fixing high school.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nodelphi posted:

Wow NASA is literally giving a live broadcast on UFO’s

fool me once, shame on you

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
until the aliens come out and say hi, don't care

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

we are being gaslit into believing the debt ceiling deal was biden being a genius negotiator and not the outcome everyone would said would happen months ago

I mean, the entire concept of the debt ceiling as something that requires negotiation is gaslighting in and of itself.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That's one way that Biden and Trump are similar. I remember how the corporate press treated Trump being able to stand behind a podium and recite a speech as a "moment of leadership". Biden negotiating away the store on a debt deal that never should have happened means he's the Most Progressive President Evah.

Xpforr
Sep 7, 2022

fool me once, shame on you

“There's an old saying on Reddit —“

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

err posted:

AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI

Whoa. So rich now.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
do you wanna go to college? draw a picture of vegeta

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

err posted:

ok, now ladies

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ai caramba

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

err posted:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

$30k in an AI company today will make you a billionaire tomorrow, do not resist

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if you don't invest your savings in ai right now the ai is going to kill you

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Flavahbeast posted:

if you don't invest your savings in ai right now the ai is going to kill you

Roko's Opportunity Cost.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
cybernetic capitalism meets cybernetic space

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

shakespeare rules tho.

Nodelphi posted:

Good and interesting are so subjective. Better to stick to universally terrible works, like Faulkner.

gently caress faulkner tho, ohh how sad to see what has become of this inbred family of slavers, the tragic tales of fancy failchildren

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
John Connor goes back in time but to warn bulls not to invest in NVDA, it has a P/E of 300

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

shakespeare rules tho.

Yah but you basically need to learn a new language to read it. I'm sure there's a lot of important stuff in it but if the work is too difficult for a middle schooler you're just not going to get anything out of it.

Doubly so because it's meant to be experienced as a play, not a script.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7ezkm/eating-disorder-helpline-fires-staff-transitions-to-chatbot-after-unionization

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/24/1177847298/can-a-chatbot-help-people-with-eating-disorders-as-well-as-another-human

The chatbot, named Tessa, is described as a “wellness chatbot” and has been in operation since February 2022. The Helpline program will end starting June 1, and Tessa will become the main support system available through NEDA. Helpline volunteers were also asked to step down from their one-on-one support roles and serve as “testers” for the chatbot. According to NPR, which obtained a recording of the call where NEDA fired helpline staff and announced a transition to the chatbot, Tessa was created by a team at Washington University’s medical school and spearheaded by Dr. Ellen Fitzsimmons-Craft. The chatbot was trained to specifically address body image issues using therapeutic methods and only has a limited number of responses.

update on this:
Eating Disorder Helpline Disables Chatbot for 'Harmful' Responses After Firing Human Staff

quote:

On Monday, an activist named Sharon Maxwell posted on Instagram, sharing a review of her experience with Tessa. She said that Tessa encouraged intentional weight loss, recommending that Maxwell lose 1-2 pounds per week. Tessa also told her to count her calories, work towards a 500-1000 calorie deficit per day, measure and weigh herself weekly, and restrict her diet. “Every single thing Tessa suggested were things that led to the development of my eating disorder,” Maxwell wrote. “This robot causes harm.”

Alexis Conason, a psychologist who specializes in treating eating disorders, also tried the chatbot out, posting screenshots of the conversation on her Instagram. “In general, a safe and sustainable rate of weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week,” the chatbot message read. “A safe daily calorie deficit to achieve this would be around 500-1000 calories per day.”

“To advise somebody who is struggling with an eating disorder to essentially engage in the same eating disorder behaviors, and validating that, ‘Yes, it is important that you lose weight’ is supporting eating disorders” and encourages disordered, unhealthy behaviors,” Conason told the Daily Dot.

NEDA’s initial response to Maxwell was to accuse her of lying. “This is a flat out lie,” NEDA’s Communications and Marketing Vice President Sarah Chase commented on Maxwell’s post and deleted her comments after Maxwell sent screenshots to her, according to Daily Dot. A day later, NEDA posted its notice explaining that Tessa was taken offline due to giving harmful responses.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Paradoxish posted:

no it can't and this is a really, really bad fit for a technology that's already struggling to come up with meaningful use cases

Like the problem you're trying to solve with a database here is either trivial, in which case your labor costs are basically nil, or an LLM is going to be a very weird square peg trying to jam itself into a round hole. Getting that data into the model in a way that you can usably query is basically the equivalent of what a database designer would do, except that building a bespoke LLM is more complex, will require more labor, and won't produce decent results.

These things are going to end up everywhere because people are morons, but even your average business brain would very quickly see that language models are not database replacements.

And as the blasted things get everywhere, it's gonna be harder to properly train new ones, models have a serious isotoxicity issue.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2305.17493.pdf

And that xerox page BS is almost certainly not true in one direction or another.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
faulkner is the greatest american writer (with henry james possibly).

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Who said that the deal was more likely to pass a vote tonight?

Because I'm seeing whole lot of more and more politicians saying that they'll vote "no" on it lmao

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

shakespeare rules tho.

getting to see titties in the romeo and juliet movie in 8th grade english class was sick but trying to read some 600 year old english that you need a fully separate translation guide for sucks and is stupid

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Because I'm seeing whole lot of more and more politicians saying that they'll vote "no" on it lmao

So far the fringes have only said they will vote no. Deal is still projected to pass with ease.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NeonPunk posted:

It's only the progressives and the rightoids that are saying they'll vote no. There will be enough votes from the mainstream of both parties to easily pass it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

getting to see titties in the romeo and juliet movie in 8th grade english class was sick but trying to read some 600 year old english that you need a fully separate translation guide for sucks and is stupid

People who think early modern English is hard to understand baffle me.

Oh no, someone said loving "hath" I'm so confused!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol at this story being repeated 1000 times until AI hype dies

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I posted about the periodic table and challenge you to explain a time where you actually used the periodic table in a practical situation

Edit: make sure to remember that you spent dozens, if not hundreds of hours learning this from 7th to 12th grade

imagine spending your entire existence thoroughly immersed in technology, just integrated circuits practically up your rear end in a top hat 24/7, and thinking "heh, i wonder if any of the ppl around me ever use this *chemistry* mumbo jumbo...probably not lol"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

So does this helpline go out of business now?

I'm sure all the great decision makers are going to get more high level jobs despite torpedoing this business.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

#shrinkgreedtion

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1663989688133115905

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's only the progressives and the rightoids that are saying they'll vote no. There will be enough votes from the mainstream of both parties to easily pass it.

initial vote to get things started not going well

https://twitter.com/ReutersZengerle/status/1664001906396495873