Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

William Bear posted:

I immediately did the conversion too. That's a pretty crazy price for a book. Is it some kind of huge coffee table book with rich leather binding?

In one of the published pics I could just about make out that it was 320 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
People charging out the rear end for books is grifting 101

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Pekinduck posted:

This, and I wonder if there was a quid pro quo between the dems and repubs. Democratic president officialy takes the L instead of pushing it to the next administration, everyone tries to memoryhole the whole thing.

:goofy:

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

The Sea Sparrow can be used on Buk mobile S-300 launchers, so that's what the AIM-7s are for.

Makes way more sense than sending ammunition for a plane that they haven't even trained pilots for yet, let alone received.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

William Bear posted:

I immediately did the conversion too. That's a pretty crazy price for a book. Is it some kind of huge coffee table book with rich leather binding?

He needs yacht money now that he can't steal quite as much, pls buy teh book

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

"I'll Be There For You (Theme From Putincoin)"

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
It's like you're always stuck in second gear
When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year, but

I'll be there for you
(Putincoin for you)
I'll be there for you
(Putincoin for you)
I'll be there for you
(Putincoin for you)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Flavahbeast posted:

$100 does seem steep

Probably equal parts "people who pay a higher price for something tend to regard it more highly" and "small print runs have a higher unit cost."

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

hazardousmouse posted:

can't have rainbows without light

This guy begs to differ

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:regd10:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1663987681016049666
:cripes:

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

My Spirit Otter posted:

tanks blow engines like crazy to the point where units going to the field take a bunch of spares with them and from what ive been told by tanker buddies, its a fairly quick process.

so that big ol field of tanks wont do poo poo if they dont have a bunch of spare engines for each of those tanks.

you know, even if they werent rusted out hunks of poo poo

Tanks are designed around undergoing routine maintenance, especially before major maneuvers, yeah. You don't want a platoon brought to half strength because of maintenance issues that could have been avoided.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well, it can be. The United States literally pioneered the field during World War II, where they designed the Sherman to be built from individual modules which were precision engineered to such a degree that you could take a Sherman built in Detroit, pull out the transmission, install a transmission that was built in Atlanta, and then slap in a new engine built in some completely other factory, all in the space of a couple of hours. This was NOT the standard in World War II.

German tanks were notoriously over-engineered to the point where doing even basic repairs required taking half the tank apart and took ages. Soviet tanks had such bad quality control that we could make a case for T-34-85 tanks built in factory A being different vehicles than the ones built in factory B. You couldn't mix parts from one in the other, because the tolerances were so wide and occasionally they just used completely different types of parts, because one factory didn't have access to something the other factory did.

After the war everyone basically sat up and took notice, and realized that while the Sherman wasn't the best tank in any kind of Top Trumps way, it was the best tank in that it was easy to mass produce, and very easy to repair and maintain in the field. NATO-adjacent countries have basically designed their tanks since World War II with the same principles in mind, and you can just basically pull the entire engine out of most modern tanks quite simply and just plug in a replacement, and the same for many other components.

In theory it's supposed to work like this for many Soviet / Russian tanks as well, but in practise... well, any Finnish conscript who had to do maintenance on a BMP or T-72 will tell you that it's not always quite that simple and a lot of very basic maintenance has to be done in incredibly awkward and dumb ways.

E: and of course it should go without saying that unless you have access to literal deserts, you don't want to leave your tanks out in some loving field for 20 years, even if you take out the radiators and engines. They will rust to poo poo, and you'll have a hell of a time trying to open any hatches or get the tracks and wheels going again. And if your tank isn't water proof, moisture will also get inside and do a number there. And as any Finnish tanker can tell you, Soviet/Russian tanks are extremely not waterproof.

Yeah, this is all right. There are a lot of myths around why we didn't adopt the M26 Heavy/Medium/whatever earlier in WW2, with some people outright slandering Leslie McNair for being inept, when that tank required far more logistical support than the Sherman, on top of having issues with its engine and powertrain and not being able to cross as many bridges as standard lighter tanks.

It's also worth noting that even the USSR wasn't even all that hyped about the T-34 around its adoption. They were planning on hefty redesigns until the Nazis invaded. Beyond issues with the design, other shortcomings were due to the shortages of metallurgical materials like nickel, and the loss/impending loss of dedicated tank factories, and having to repurpose factories that were not suited for T-34's manufacturing needs.

The only caveat to the German maintenance issue is that it was either the Panzer 3 or 4 that had an easily-serviced transmission (I forget which one). Otherwise, yeah, repairing anything on a German tank was a federal project.

I got to participate in a M4A3 restoration and it's wild how easy it was. We were able to use commercial equipment, and our hands had plenty of room to move when servicing the engine/powertrain.

Comstar posted:

When did the British tanks start doing this? I recall a lot of stories of the British having the best tanks in Europe...so long as it broke down in a good firing position.

British tanks of WW2 weren't bad and common criticisms of their armored force could have been laid at the feet of any other beligerent, but the Brits were kind of dealt a bad hand and caught some undeserved flak for it. Biases in the historical record didn't do them any more favors. I could go into the WW2-era stuff, but as for the Cold War, "best" might be pushing it. The Centurion was certainly a better tank than comparable western designs of the time, and they performed admirably in many conflicts. Their good low gears helped them in the rough terrain of the Korean War.

Chieftains... not so much. The earliest versions had a lot of troubles with their engines. The British inserted a multi-fuel engine into The Chieftain, under the presumption that having a tank that could run gasoline and diesel would be helpful were they to be supplied by America. The problem is that multi-fuel engines back in the day just weren't as capable as they would later become, so it was very weak. The worst versions of these Chieftains were either upgraded or never put into service. Chieftain armor protection wasn't great. T-72s were able to frontally penetrate them in the Iran-Iraq War. They performed more admirably in Kuwaiti hands against Iraq. By all accounts, most of the engine issues were handled later on.

Challengers are both great, but even the Brits realized that The Chieftain needed a replacement ASAP, and as a result, Chal 1 got put into service until they could properly play catch-up. Chal 1 is a good tank, but its role as a stopgap is pretty clear in its design. Even so, it was a hell of a good stopgap. Chal 2 is fantastic by all reports, but I never got to read deeply into them.

I'll also say that they produced the coolest-looking tanks of the Cold War. There's just something about the aesthetics of the Cent, Chief, Conqueror, and Challenger that I really like.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Imagine a Honda tank.
Unstoppable and indestructible till they weaponised rust.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everyone knows Toyota's the one you need to watch out for

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
the nokia n-100 crests the hill and slams into the cope cones, engines screaming. the outside display screen reads a blurred 8008135 on its way to moskva

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

HonorableTB posted:

the nokia n-100 crests the hill and slams into the cope cones, engines screaming. the outside display screen reads a blurred 8008135 on its way to moskva

:actually: you mean the Nokia N-Gage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

EorayMel posted:

:actually: you mean the Nokia N-Gage

The goatse of smart phones.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

FMguru posted:

Even has the ring...

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

anonumos posted:

Even has the ring...

:aaaaa:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Coworker mentioned today that NATO weapons being used in Russia is going to be just like 9/11, and Russia's going to retaliate. My reply was that the US was able to retaliate conventionally because they have the military and money to project power for upwards of 20 years. Russia has nearly spent themselves into oblivion trying to "project power" against a smaller nation right on their border. He mentioned the nuclear option Russia has, and my take was that opening that bottle would be the end. They either go all out and commit suicide or they try it on a tactical level and NATO just destroys them conventionally. No nukes needed.

Confirm/Deny?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

FMguru posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Coworker mentioned today that NATO weapons being used in Russia is going to be just like 9/11, and Russia's going to retaliate. My reply was that the US was able to retaliate conventionally because they have the military and money to project power for upwards of 20 years. Russia has nearly spent themselves into oblivion trying to "project power" against a smaller nation right on their border. He mentioned the nuclear option Russia has, and my take was that opening that bottle would be the end. They either go all out and commit suicide or they try it on a tactical level and NATO just destroys them conventionally. No nukes needed.

Confirm/Deny?

Is your coworker Glenn Greenwald?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mobby_6kl posted:

Is your coworker Glenn Greenwald?

He name-dropped Glenn, and that other US boomer-brained guy who was at one time respected.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

Confirm/Deny?

Biden & co at some point said in public that if Russia uses nukes, then USA + NATO will simply destroy the Russian army in Ukraine... using conventional means only

It seems like a good threat imo. It's pretty obvious that USA doesn't even need nukes to liberate Ukraine

(Of course now I can't find the article with the exact details)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Operation Steppe Storm

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

https://youtu.be/zBBu4vOXqnU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

jaete posted:

Biden & co at some point said in public that if Russia uses nukes, then USA + NATO will simply destroy the Russian army in Ukraine... using conventional means only

It seems like a good threat imo. It's pretty obvious that USA doesn't even need nukes to liberate Ukraine

(Of course now I can't find the article with the exact details)

I believe it was former general Petraeus who said that, I believe the US government had him put that out into the public while they privately informed the Russians of the consequences of nuclear actions in Ukraine. It lets them Publicize the clear response to expect to that sort of escalation without having to have a government official say it.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/02/us-russia-putin-ukraine-war-david-petraeus

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1663914885401530368

lotta small dick energy towards the end

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
'NATO weapons' wahtever that means, have been in use in Ukraine for the better part of the last decade and it hasn't led to ww3 yet and idk what they'd have to use to actually provoke ww3 because even giving Ukraine enough missiles to kill tens of thousands of Russians has apparently not provoked it. you'd think that if anything would've that would be it

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm starting to think this Putin fella is a real goofball.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sleepy gary posted:

I'm starting to think this Putin fella is a real goofball.

You fool. Putin, the strategic mastermind, has spent decades relentlessly honing the Russian state into a flaming garbage pile

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

William Bear posted:

It's the same amount Trump charges for his books, and they are just whatever documents he has laying around because he can't get a ghost writer.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Didn't take long for Russia to throw another temper tantrum. Missiles were shot at Kyiv, air defense worked there.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Russias missile offence systems still running Tetris on a URAL mainframe where the only response to failure is ramping things up more and faster at a fixed rate.

Hey Putin. No units out there are desperately waiting on a long piece to complete the destruction of Kiev. The screen is clear in the world outside your mouldy, tacky bunker. 0 lines complete bro.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Runa posted:

Everyone knows Toyota's the one you need to watch out for
Just ask the Libyans!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Seems like it's over for now. Some debris landed in Dniprovskyi district, emergency services are on the spot. All the missiles were shot down.
A clinic was also damaged in the Desnansky district from debris.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If anyone knows enough about Soviet/Russian computing to do an effortpost that would be really fun to read

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm gonna throw a rock at siberia

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Further information came out. In total, one person was killed, and 3 injured from falling debris.
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1664071351647322115

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Even Daddy Xi's daughter went to Harvard.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

HonorableTB posted:

If anyone knows enough about Soviet/Russian computing to do an effortpost that would be really fun to read

i dont but heres a couple soviet mechanical computer videos

first one they used on soyuz for navigation until 2002, they open it up and the inside is wild

the second one is a mechanical computer calculating the square root of a number and one of the coolest looking pieces of machinery I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmHaCQ8Ul6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sUsiYnHwqI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1664074156869144582
Unfortunately the death toll of the incident is rising. 3 persons are dead, and four more injured.