Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

small business owning contractor

ok but i thought he was living in a lovely (for tv, modest in reality) apartment with his brother and in debt? more like an independent contractor? w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
although a fantasy setting with post-racial blended characters who are an unidentifiable mixture of present-day races would be kind of cool, i can understand why actors would have second thoughts about sitting down every day in the makeup chair to put on Future Blackface

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

ok but i thought he was living in a lovely (for tv, modest in reality) apartment with his brother and in debt? more like an independent contractor? w/e

oh i didn't watch the show i just read the incredibly confusing plot summary on wikipedia

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

although a fantasy setting with post-racial blended characters who are an unidentifiable mixture of present-day races would be kind of cool, i can understand why actors would have second thoughts about sitting down every day in the makeup chair to put on Future Blackface

Presenting Exhibit A: CLOUD ATLAS

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lmao it looks like the faceapp morph between Tom Hanks and Ice T

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
more movies should have the balls to say "yes, we will put Tom hanks in combination black and yellow face"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fits my needs posted:

were timon & pumba anarchists?

lumpen

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao it looks like the faceapp morph between Tom Hanks and Ice T

omg

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Aglet56 posted:

i imagine there are a lot of unidentifiably mixed race actors who would love to do it without makeup

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i imagine there are a lot of unidentifiably mixed race actors who would love to do it without makeup

sure, but then you're putting out a casting call that explicitly excludes anyone who is too black or asian. that doesn't mean that the idea is itself racist, but the optics would be tricky

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The guy at the end of this has one of the most insane beards i've ever seen.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

in general I think he's right. most people don't know that, or care to know. historians do, nerds do (and some always will), but the number of artists whose legacies persist in popular memory a half century past their death is tiny. and that number keeps diminishing til it's just like Beethoven and Shakespeare

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Something that is really annoying about modern movies/shows is all the stupid homages they have to capitalism bad. I watched the show beef a while back, and even in that show both characters are part of the petit bourgeois, and aspire to work their way up from that.

The show is based in LA so there are a ton of Asian proletariat examples they could have drawn on if they couldn't come up with their own story.

Remember that Allie Wong had segments in multiple stand-up specials where she talked about her plan to divorce her husband, and then did it. You can always tell apart the greats by their commitment to the bit.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

small business owning contractor

Yes also his parents were landlords who lost their property

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2023/5/26/23736151/series-finales-spinoffs-bonus-episodes-ted-lasso-walking-dead

In Praise Of Garbage That Just Won't Die!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
What kills me about Ted Lasso is that, in everything I've seen him play an unrepentant dick character, Jason Sudeikis is very funny

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in regard to the postracial construction discussion i recently read an interesting book review of the last white man by moshin hamid where the reviewer critiques the books core concept by pointing out that hamid appears to be interpreting color literally as in it only matters to the extent that peoples pigmentation is changing but the story neither addresses nor acknowledges the fact that racial subcultures exist and what people physically look like would be irrelevant to these hierarchies and this is such a big thing about how race is actually constructed the books overall dramatic arc is insultingly simplified to the point of being useless

anyway if you want a more shitposty answer to the prompt just watch the great a show that has poc actors and just doesnt comment on them or treat them as important because theyre not and also doesnt fetishize the era and is also already clearly enough of a fantasy that no one is watching it and going hmmm tsarist russia had perfect racial equality interesting

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What kills me about Ted Lasso is that, in everything I've seen him play an unrepentant dick character, Jason Sudeikis is very funny

he was pretty funny on Always Sunny

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I honestly don't get why Ted Lasso isn't a children's show. Just have the football team be a bunch of pre-teens and you can easily have your sappy bullshit where they learn to be respectful to women and that having fun is more important than winning

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Aglet56 posted:

sure, but then you're putting out a casting call that explicitly excludes anyone who is too black or asian. that doesn't mean that the idea is itself racist, but the optics would be tricky
it would also exclude anyone too white, so just tell people to gently caress off with that reasoning?

Some Guy TT posted:

in regard to the postracial construction discussion i recently read an interesting book review of the last white man by moshin hamid where the reviewer critiques the books core concept by pointing out that hamid appears to be interpreting color literally as in it only matters to the extent that peoples pigmentation is changing but the story neither addresses nor acknowledges the fact that racial subcultures exist and what people physically look like would be irrelevant to these hierarchies and this is such a big thing about how race is actually constructed the books overall dramatic arc is insultingly simplified to the point of being useless

anyway if you want a more shitposty answer to the prompt just watch the great a show that has poc actors and just doesnt comment on them or treat them as important because theyre not and also doesnt fetishize the era and is also already clearly enough of a fantasy that no one is watching it and going hmmm tsarist russia had perfect racial equality interesting
counterpoint: tsarist russia, especially the court, had actually black people in it, on top of being home to a variety of asian cultures. doing this kind of race blind casting makes the show appear no different from other shows doing the same, despite those other shows using race blind casting to hide the racial politics of the time. it is effectively white washing of anglo culture and white supremacy, by pretending every country was like england/the us.

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 21:11 on May 31, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/moryan/status/1663554448516595714

Lindelof is such a shithead lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

remember when people were saying his Watchmen show was good lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i only watched the 1st episode of that but the Leftovers is one of the best shows

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's funny that he somehow made a Watchman property with worse politics than the original Watchman. I didn't think that was possible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the leftovers: a show that tells you in its title that its reheated parts of other shows

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the leftovers: a show that tells you in its title that its reheated parts of other shows

Nah the leftovers is really good.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Leftovers is probably the best tv drama of this century and thank God for Tom Perrotta

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Jaxyon posted:

Possibly even Love and Thunder is a better movie than Casablanca

stfu

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The first episode of season 3 where Kevin is shrugging off the fact that the majority of his adult friends now think he's Jesus

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
cloud atlas was pretty good imo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

fits my needs posted:

were timon & pumba anarchists?

No, they were just gay

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Leftovers is probably the best tv drama of this century and thank God for Tom Perrotta

I pay prostitutes to shoot me

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it was

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Man, Mister Eko owned too.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The guy at the end of this has one of the most insane beards i've ever seen.

its a weave!!!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tristeham posted:

cloud atlas was pretty good imo

no, that's not true true

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

thats an oof

quote:

When someone on staff was adopting an Asian child, one person said to another writer that “no grandparent wants a slanty-eyed grandchild.”

When actor Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje’s picture was on the writers room table, someone was told to remove their nearby wallet “before he steals it.”

When Owusu-Breen and others were riding in a van on a trip, in answer to a question about the luggage, one writer—using a Yiddish word—said, “Let the schvartze take it.”

The only Asian American writer was called Korean, as in, “Korean, take the board.”

When a woman entered the writers room carrying a binder, two sources said, a male writer asked her what it was. She said it was the HR manual for the studio, and he responded, “Why don’t you take off your top and tell us about it?”

There was apparently some discomfort around the show’s cleaning staff using the bathroom in the Lost offices, and there were “jokes” about “putting up a Whites Only sign.”

Finally, when Perrineau’s Lost departure came up, Lindelof said, according to multiple sources, that the actor “called me racist, so I fired his rear end.”

my wife stopped watching because of the way they wrote off Eko. i guess she sensed why that happened

edit: jesus

quote:

“Carlton said something to the effect of, ‘I want to hang him from the highest tree. God, if we could only cut his dick off and shove it down his throat.’ At which point I said, ‘You may want to temper the lynching imagery, lest you offend.’ And I was very clearly angry,”

Durf has issued a correction as of 22:05 on May 31, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dudes rock

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

never seen it but no it wasn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Nah the leftovers is really good.

never seen it but no it isn't eh maybe it is actually, i dunno. my friend met Carrie Coon and said she was nice, she was on that show right